AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hi mates, i have a question about the iron sky command attack squadron, what is the general concensus about arkanaut leaving the frigate after flying high. As general FAQ flying high is not a move and vessel doesnt count as moved, since the batallion lets you get arkanauts after frigate has moved then you cant do it after fly high.  At least its what i read, have i missed something?

Hi! 

I've a rule question: is exit from garrison considered a movement for the purpose of gaining control of objectives? For example in place of arcane power. 

The doubt is related to the fact that the garrison rule says that exit from a garrison Is considered the move for the unit in that movement phase. From FAQ related to reserve a unit that has been removed from play, and set it up again on the battlefield, does not count as have made a move por other rules purpose. But KO exit from garrison do not require to remove the unit from play and set it up again, the unit is in play and it is in the garrison, a big difference (so it is not like a teleport, or fly high rule, for example), moreover from faq KO garrisoned unit does not count as reserve. 

So I think that deployment from garrison can be considered as a movement for catching objectives purposes! What do you think? 

10 hours ago, Bululu said:

Hi mates, i have a question about the iron sky command attack squadron, what is the general concensus about arkanaut leaving the frigate after flying high. As general FAQ flying high is not a move and vessel doesnt count as moved, since the batallion lets you get arkanauts after frigate has moved then you cant do it after fly high.  At least its what i read, have i missed something?

They can’t indeed

• Like 1

20 hours ago, C.A.O.S said:

Hi! 

I've a rule question: is exit from garrison considered a movement for the purpose of gaining control of objectives? For example in place of arcane power. 

The doubt is related to the fact that the garrison rule says that exit from a garrison Is considered the move for the unit in that movement phase. From FAQ related to reserve a unit that has been removed from play, and set it up again on the battlefield, does not count as have made a move por other rules purpose. But KO exit from garrison do not require to remove the unit from play and set it up again, the unit is in play and it is in the garrison, a big difference (so it is not like a teleport, or fly high rule, for example), moreover from faq KO garrisoned unit does not count as reserve. 

So I think that deployment from garrison can be considered as a movement for catching objectives purposes! What do you think? 

Well the faq says the "this count as their movement text thing" means they did not make a move, independent of if they are or arent in the battlefield. So i would say no, you cant capture the the objectives that need to finish a move to be captured i think :(. This and the fly high and drop the batallion arkanauts needs to get faq fixed, its just stupid imo.

On 9/1/2020 at 11:39 AM, Bululu said:

correct, can't get out after a fly high. 

On 9/1/2020 at 6:39 PM, Bululu said:

Thanks for asking this. Afraid I've been playing the rules wrongly.

But if I use There is Always A Breeze, can I "Fly High" instead of making a normal move in the Hero Phase, then use a Normal Move in the Movement Phase, the Arkanauts can charge 3D6 per Iron Sky Squadron's benefit correct?

2 hours ago, Badlander86 said:

Thanks for asking this. Afraid I've been playing the rules wrongly.

But if I use There is Always A Breeze, can I "Fly High" instead of making a normal move in the Hero Phase, then use a Normal Move in the Movement Phase, the Arkanauts can charge 3D6 per Iron Sky Squadron's benefit correct?

Exactly, and the charge is considered a move so in that scenarios where you capture after a move, you will be able to meet the requeriments, for example consider this.

charge.png.ab82b900ffef960e13ad9a3b3bd02fd4.png

Green is the objective, Blue square is your unit, red square is an enemy unit and little blue squares are your unit miniatures after doing the charge.

In 1 of the scenarios, to capture, you must end a movement 3'' of the objective with a battleline unit, as charge and pile in are valid movements for this, you can charge the enemy unit, leaving the first miniature 0.5'' of distance to the red unit, and then the rest of your unit doing a line to the objective. In that situation you will end a movement within 3'' of that objective and capture it.

Remember also that pile in is also considered  a valid move for this purpose, i will give another example.

charge2.png.6373740e5de8b6171ee1820b18c23732.png

In this case you have 2 unit but one enemy unit doesnt let you reach the objective, so you charge with both

charge3.png.85f5b4aba3e2e93613886292accf7f3d.png

After your first unit combat you destroy the enemy unit, but still cant capture cause you aint at 3'' range, but then as you charged with your unit 2, you can pile in getting into range of the objective and finishing a move within 3'' and capturing it.

• Like 2

I thought I'd post my list here for some input.

I want to play Mhornar in order to try and kite around with my ships using galeforce stave making it harder for my enemy to charge in on my ship while my arkanauts capture objectives. 

I liked the sound of khemist buffing arkanauts with aetheric augmentation (reroll wounds of 1) and bjorgens aetheric augmentation (reroll hits of 1). Is that allowed? it's an ability so I think it can be applied more times than one from different sources, but I'd like to have that confirmed.

The endrinworks are modifiable since they don't rely on my general strategy. The Last word is one I enjoy using, but it can easily be swapped to something else.

Also "the one who strikes first, strikes hardest" does that allow me to effectively attack with two units before it's my opponents turn?

Allegiance: Order
City: Barak Mhornar

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (90)
Aetheric Navigator (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Opportunistic privateer
- Artifact: Galeforce Stave
Aetheric Navigator (100)
- Artifact: 'Illuminator' Flarepistol
Bjorgen Thundrik (140)

Battleline
20 x Arkanaut Company (180)
10 x Arkanaut Company (90)

Units
3 x Endrinriggers (100)
 Drill Cannon 1x
1 x Grundstok Gunhauler (130)
- Endrinwork: Surge-injector
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (240)
4 x Thundrik's Profiteers (0)

Behemoths
Arkanaut Ironclad (480)
- Endrinwork: The Last Word

Battalions
Iron Sky Command (110)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 132

What would be some good melee focused units that I could either take as allies, or take in Barak Thryng?  Thinking maybe Fyreslayers of some sort?

My friendly AoS group seems to be a little annoyed that my list is too strong, and perhaps is a little boring for them to play against, because of the never ending shooting phase - so I'm trying to think of ways to mix it up to improve their experience

Edited by Celadoor

On 9/9/2020 at 2:56 AM, Jo0nes said:

I thought I'd post my list here for some input.

I want to play Mhornar in order to try and kite around with my ships using galeforce stave making it harder for my enemy to charge in on my ship while my arkanauts capture objectives. 

I liked the sound of khemist buffing arkanauts with aetheric augmentation (reroll wounds of 1) and bjorgens aetheric augmentation (reroll hits of 1). Is that allowed? it's an ability so I think it can be applied more times than one from different sources, but I'd like to have that confirmed.

The endrinworks are modifiable since they don't rely on my general strategy. The Last word is one I enjoy using, but it can easily be swapped to something else.

Also "the one who strikes first, strikes hardest" does that allow me to effectively attack with two units before it's my opponents turn?

Allegiance: Order
City: Barak Mhornar

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (90)
Aetheric Navigator (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Opportunistic privateer
- Artifact: Galeforce Stave
Aetheric Navigator (100)
- Artifact: 'Illuminator' Flarepistol
Bjorgen Thundrik (140)

Battleline
20 x Arkanaut Company (180)

Units
3 x Endrinriggers (100)
 Drill Cannon 1x
- Endrinwork: Surge-injector
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (240)
4 x Thundrik's Profiteers (0)

Behemoths
Arkanaut Ironclad (480)
- Endrinwork: The Last Word

Battalions
Iron Sky Command (110)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 132

consider spell in a bottle with the realmscourge rupture from the slaves of darkness line for more control and blocking. 

Yes using aetheric augmentation from Thundrik and Khemist is allowed. I do think you would be best served to drop them, add in 3 more riggers to make a nice team to fly with one of the gunhaulers, and also give you the points for the rupture if you wanted to go that route. 

What goes in the ironclad? The 20 arks or the thunderers?

I'm toying with the idea of trying more thing with the spell in a bottle, but that will force me to swap out my illuminator pistol.

The route without thundrik and more riggers is nice, I like the thought of splitting the riggers into 3-3 like you said.

Those hopping into the ironclad originally is the thunderers. Depending on how I like to play the army I'm thinking of having mixed special weapons on them so I can drop them out on an objective to defend while the ironclad covers other parts of the board

20 hours ago, Jo0nes said:

I'm toying with the idea of trying more thing with the spell in a bottle, but that will force me to swap out my illuminator pistol.

The route without thundrik and more riggers is nice, I like the thought of splitting the riggers into 3-3 like you said.

Those hopping into the ironclad originally is the thunderers. Depending on how I like to play the army I'm thinking of having mixed special weapons on them so I can drop them out on an objective to defend while the ironclad covers other parts of the board

Keep in mind that thundriks profiteers can also garrison. Even the skywarden. Just food for thought. 

This is the direction Im going and hope to play test it soon. Very difficult to schedule games between working 60 hours a week, and helping to facilitate school for my 1st grader virtually. 

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
- Sky Port: Barak Mhornar

Leaders
Aetheric Navigator (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Opportunistic Privateer
- Artefact: Galeforce Stave
Aether-Khemist (90)
- Artefact: Spell in a Bottle
Aetheric Navigator (100)
Celestant-Prime (300)

Battleline
20 x Arkanaut Company (180)
- 2x Skypikes
- 2x Light Skyhooks
- 2x Aethermatic Volley Guns
10 x Arkanaut Company (90)
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 1x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks

Units
12 x Endrinriggers (400)
- 4x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 3x Skyhooks
- 1x Grapnel Launchers

Behemoths
Arkanaut Ironclad (480)
- Main Gun: Great Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Hegsson Solutions 'Old Reliable' Hullplates

Battalions
Iron Sky Command (110)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Realmscourge Rupture (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 105

hi, I wanted to ask if a 1k point list like this is semi competitive and could give satisfaction on the battlefield.

I love thunderers and I would like to exploit them as much as possible, maximizing the movement through the ironclad and the volume of fire in the shooting phase, the idea is to be able to decimate the opponent as quickly as possible so as to freely contest the objectives in the remaining rounds after the extermination.

ty

- Sky Port: Barak Nar
Kharadron Code
- Artycle: Respect Your Commanders
- Amendment: Trust Aethermatics Not Superstition
- Footnote: Through Knowledge Power
LEADERS
Endrinmaster with Endrinharness (100)
- General
- Command Trait : Champion of Progress
- Artefact : Aethercharged Rune
UNITS
5 x Grundstok Thunderers (120) or full refile
- 1 x Aetheric Fumigators
- 1 x Decksweepers
- 1 x Aethercannons
- 1 x Grundstok Mortars
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (240) or full refile
- 1 x Aetheric Fumigators
-2  x Decksweepers
- 2 x Aethercannons
- 1 x Grundstok Mortars

BEHEMOTHS
Arkanaut Ironclad (480)
- Main Gun : Great Sky Cannon

grat endrin: shoot face on charge or fliy high when fat

Extra Command Point (50)
TOTAL: 990/1000

WOUNDS: 54

On 9/11/2020 at 8:18 AM, sal4m4nd3r said:

This is the direction Im going and hope to play test it soon. Very difficult to schedule games between working 60 hours a week, and helping to facilitate school for my 1st grader virtually. 

- Sky Port: Barak Mhornar

Leaders
Aetheric Navigator (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Opportunistic Privateer
- Artefact: Galeforce Stave
Aether-Khemist (90)
- Artefact: Spell in a Bottle
Aetheric Navigator (100)
Celestant-Prime (300)

Battleline
20 x Arkanaut Company (180)
- 2x Skypikes
- 2x Light Skyhooks
- 2x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks

Units
12 x Endrinriggers (400)
- 4x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 3x Skyhooks
- 1x Grapnel Launchers

Behemoths
Arkanaut Ironclad (480)
- Main Gun: Great Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Hegsson Solutions 'Old Reliable' Hullplates

Battalions
Iron Sky Command (110)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Realmscourge Rupture (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 105

And when you do, game safely! Not everyone in our community is taking proper precautions when they game.