AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

In games it is always difficult for my general to stay alive in order to launch the Phosphorite Bomblets.  is there any way that when my general gets out of the gunhauler he can reach an enemy unit and drop the Phosphorite Bomblets?

Another question, the aether gold can only be used once per phase?  Couldn't two gunhaulers use it to repeat saves?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Iamanbo said:

In games it is always difficult for my general to stay alive in order to launch the Phosphorite Bomblets.  is there any way that when my general gets out of the gunhauler he can reach an enemy unit and drop the Phosphorite Bomblets?

Another question, the aether gold can only be used once per phase?  Couldn't two gunhaulers use it to repeat saves?

Thanks

The hero on the charge thing is difficult indeed. You are either flying high for a 9” charge or moving forward and seeing what the charge range is. My best bet would be, go low drops so you can set him up hidden behind terrain, and give your opponent turn 1. That way he might move close enough to move within easier charge range. 

reagrding aethergold. No, only one Gunhauler might use it in the combat phase. They are not one unit but two. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ByronicHero said:

Obviously I am not reinventing the wheel here, but below are the two options I am strongly considering. First is Zilfin, second probably Mhornar of Thryng (with artefacts and traits changed as required). Both have WLV. I think I prefer the second one, probably Mhornar. Lower drops and more battleline for the missions where it matters. Any thoughts?

image.png.b8dfc1ceb2257deb26505bb573db2a9d.png

image.png.33d698c246e14fe12f4eec7e6789c89f.png

I like the second one. But there you won’t get much use out of WLV I think. In the first you can give the gunhauler the boatifact to carry the khemist forward. Hero phase move, cast, move back. 

but without that hero phase move it becomes harder. Would still work as a roadblock though. Just can’t imagine it being as effective. And then is it worth 170 points? (New points were 80 right? )

6 hours ago, Kramer said:

I like the second one. But there you won’t get much use out of WLV I think. In the first you can give the gunhauler the boatifact to carry the khemist forward. Hero phase move, cast, move back. 

but without that hero phase move it becomes harder. Would still work as a roadblock though. Just can’t imagine it being as effective. And then is it worth 170 points? (New points were 80 right? )

That is a fair point (yes it is 80). I think in my head I was just going to use it as part of a fly high alpha strike, but as I intend to take a squad of melee riggers with me I think that makes even less sense as I would probably be running into it. I have plenty of arkanauts so could easily make that squad a 20 for some superior screening and objective holding and replace the khemist with an endrinmaster for some extra healing and such. 

In Mhornar I'd not be able to use opportunistic because the general wouldn't be able to garrison the ship which is a bit of a waste of a trait, but I would get the Galeforce Stave which seems very strong, making it functionally much harder for the enemy to hit the clad hard enough after you drop. Plus the standard run and shoot first turn which would help me get my units where they need to be. I tended to use Mhornar in the old book. 

Thryng seems to provide some strong buffs all around. giving me re-roll 1s against units that matter saving me from needing to use aether generally and the fight before removed mechanic seems very nice - especially for the general.

image.png.bd02e74e3d49d607204fdb432c77ac35.png

10 hours ago, Iamanbo said:

Thanks

For the phosphorite bomblets, the endless spells and Thunderes with Special weapons I'm using the footnote of Zilfin to move in the Hero Phase. But appart from that, I'm not sure if there is anything that could help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Eevika said:

Pensé que la gente aquí podría apreciar mi Ironclad volando a la batalla a través de una puerta de reino. IMG_20200726_182654.jpg.5c3c5729c6a4fdc4fb8ef8adec67f97e.jpgS

Estoy trabajando lentamente en la construcción de mi ejército de KO esperando que llegue mi aerógrafo. Puedo comenzar a pintar a estos chicos malos.

That is spectacular, I am looking for a way to do something similar since the support it brings is very delicate and it gives me the feeling that it can break due to the weight and size of the Ironclad

Can you put any more photos of how it is mounted?

Edited by Iamanbo

1 hour ago, ByronicHero said:

That is a fair point (yes it is 80). I think in my head I was just going to use it as part of a fly high alpha strike, but as I intend to take a squad of melee riggers with me I think that makes even less sense as I would probably be running into it. I have plenty of arkanauts so could easily make that squad a 20 for some superior screening and objective holding and replace the khemist with an endrinmaster for some extra healing and such. 

In Mhornar I'd not be able to use opportunistic because the general wouldn't be able to garrison the ship which is a bit of a waste of a trait, but I would get the Galeforce Stave which seems very strong, making it functionally much harder for the enemy to hit the clad hard enough after you drop. Plus the standard run and shoot first turn which would help me get my units where they need to be. I tended to use Mhornar in the old book. 

Yeah Oppurtunistic is a shame, but with fly high I just tend to set up my frigate in a corner with a screen around it and just go anywhere. 
But question about that. It says: 'before the first battle round begins, you can remove that SKYVESSEL etc.'. Core rules says" 'At the start of each battle round, players roll off, and the winner decides who takes fir turn.'
So I got it correct that opportunistic applies before turn order is decided? Just to check that I havent interpreted wrong, but if it works this way it's not a big loss for you. Galeforce on the Clad is a good call though. 

1 hour ago, ByronicHero said:

Thryng seems to provide some strong buffs all around. giving me re-roll 1s against units that matter saving me from needing to use aether generally and the fight before removed mechanic seems very nice - especially for the general.

I'm still vaguely looking at Thryng for a ground based Ko force. Just to give it a go. But battleline remains a struggle. 

Maybe i'll try something like this on TTS:

866555505_Screenshot2020-07-27at11_03_01.png.999f9c60f649b74d7fb56b2fd82c3c15.png

1624524483_Screenshot2020-07-27at11_06_12.png.6055bbd29ea1e242b6e2286510dbfc4b.png

(warscroll builder didn't give me the Barak choices)

33 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Yeah Oppurtunistic is a shame, but with fly high I just tend to set up my frigate in a corner with a screen around it and just go anywhere. 
But question about that. It says: 'before the first battle round begins, you can remove that SKYVESSEL etc.'. Core rules says" 'At the start of each battle round, players roll off, and the winner decides who takes fir turn.'
So I got it correct that opportunistic applies before turn order is decided? Just to check that I havent interpreted wrong, but if it works this way it's not a big loss for you. Galeforce on the Clad is a good call though. 

I'm still vaguely looking at Thryng for a ground based Ko force. Just to give it a go. But battleline remains a struggle. 

Maybe i'll try something like this on TTS:

866555505_Screenshot2020-07-27at11_03_01.png.999f9c60f649b74d7fb56b2fd82c3c15.png

1624524483_Screenshot2020-07-27at11_06_12.png.6055bbd29ea1e242b6e2286510dbfc4b.png

(warscroll builder didn't give me the Barak choices)

Given how everything is worded, I agree with you that it would happen after deployment but before the person who finished deployment first decides turn order. If they can choose to go first and try to alpha strike you then this has value, but as a two-drop list the hope is that I can make this decision a lot of the time anyway, in which case I can fly high and get out of danger if needed. The Galeforce strikes me as very strong in aggressive metas. Nothing can drop 9" from you and charge you without buffs, and even then they will need some extremely strong ones. Even a double proc of Gavriel would leave them needing to roll a 6 which is not guaranteed. I think it would mess with a lot of people. 

A ground force is interesting. I played one in 1250 games with the old book with a lot of success, but that was built around the classic 40 ark blob. I think it is just hard to see the incentive for it really (other than fun of course). 

50 minutes ago, ByronicHero said:

A ground force is interesting. I played one in 1250 games with the old book with a lot of success, but that was built around the classic 40 ark blob. I think it is just hard to see the incentive for it really (other than fun of course). 

Well it’s mainly that. I like to always try out the thing people aren’t doing 😅

bit contrarian that way. That’s why I play underguts and vanguard chamber 😂

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

Barak Thryng is awesome in meeting engagements. Imho, you should try it with Streets fo Death rules, it's a blast!

Streets of death are awesome no matter what you field. I’m still sitting next to four half build ruins and 3 more in blutack state because of those rules. But COVID kinda put an end to that project 😅

image.jpg.60c526129114f56215e01ae3254f4497.jpg

but yeah great fun. We now have a map campaign going where you can fortify your locations. Level 1 means you can choose the deployment zone and mission. Upgrade it to level 2 means you get mission, deployment zone, and choice between cities of death or the underground rules. Level 3 means you get an extra glory point and you get to play the location as level 1 or level 2 or play a siege battle. 

But if you lose a battle for that territory you get demolished back to 1. It’s such great fun which doesn’t impact the games themselves negatively. But does offer interesting alternative play option. 

so far we’re two games in but I’m hoping the campaign will bleed over in to in person games

Edited by Kramer
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Well it’s mainly that. I like to always try out the thing people aren’t doing 😅

bit contrarian that way. That’s why I play underguts and vanguard chamber 😂

Oh same really. I own both a KO and STD army, both bought when they were considered useless on the tabletop because I like finding ways to win with different things. I also find when you play janky armies you have the benefit of your opponents having a limit understanding of what your things do. 

2 hours ago, ByronicHero said:

Oh same really. I own both a KO and STD army, both bought when they were considered useless on the tabletop because I like finding ways to win with different things. I also find when you play janky armies you have the benefit of your opponents having a limit understanding of what your things do. 

True. And for some reason it’s almost always thematically the coolest armies. I have a 1K daughters army that I never played as hag nar.  ‘Get a better save for being more dedicated’ never was as cool as ‘wreathed in shadows they disappear and reappear every turn’ 😅

also didn’t like the feeling of bringing ‘that’ list to most off my opponents. Some like that though so it’s nice to also play the tournament practice matches. Competitive is great fun too, and then I don’t mind as much. 

I'm looking for some advice for a 1k Meeting Engagement coming up, where i'll face up against a SCE Army - going Hammers of Sigmar.

Their army is going to be

• 15 Sequitors  (1x10 + 1x5)
  • 10 Evocators  (2x5)
  • 1 Lord Arcanum on Gryph-Charger

The list I was mulling over is below - but i'm actually contemplating re-organising it towards Barak Thryng  if possible  (despite having no allies) - reasons:

1. he only has 5 units total.  So I can perma-tag both evocator units and his hero with re-roll hits of 1, and then use the battalion to target the sequitors when I need to.
  2. I fear a massive charge from the Lord Arcanum, followed by dropping 3 flasks, and dealing 3xD3 mortal wounds to an Ark. Company - with Thryng, some of them might get to fight anyway?

Grudgehammer probably isn't that great for a Khemist though.

I have about 2k points - across 12 Riggers, 10 Thunderers, 20 Ark. Co, 2 Frigates, 2 Gunhaulers and 1 of each hero - I'm just a bit overloaded with options, and my play experience is VERY limited, so I just don't know what works (had 2 games so far)

Any help appreciated - or alternative list options based on what I have available

image.png.a34a38906de760d10bf62cf2440eac49.png

On 7/27/2020 at 5:11 PM, Kramer said:

True. And for some reason it’s almost always thematically the coolest armies. I have a 1K daughters army that I never played as hag nar.  ‘Get a better save for being more dedicated’ never was as cool as ‘wreathed in shadows they disappear and reappear every turn’ 😅

also didn’t like the feeling of bringing ‘that’ list to most off my opponents. Some like that though so it’s nice to also play the tournament practice matches. Competitive is great fun too, and then I don’t mind as much. 

My first army was FEC when they were very strong (I had no idea how strong anything was, just picked them because I played some Bretonnians back in the world that was) so I felt it was important to balance that out afterwards. I did contemplate 300 shootas/stabbas and a couple of shamans but the meme was not worth the torture of getting them tabletop ready (or indeed playing with them). I have the common issue of plastic wanderlust. I keep being enticed by new ideas before finishing any of the ones I have started. But I have commited to completing my KO collection before doing anything else. Then maybe I will finally paint Archaon.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celadoor said:

I'm looking for some advice for a 1k Meeting Engagement coming up, where i'll face up against a SCE Army - going Hammers of Sigmar.

Their army is going to be

• 15 Sequitors  (1x10 + 1x5)
  • 10 Evocators  (2x5)
  • 1 Lord Arcanum on Gryph-Charger

The list I was mulling over is below - but i'm actually contemplating re-organising it towards Barak Thryng  if possible  (despite having no allies) - reasons:

1. he only has 5 units total.  So I can perma-tag both evocator units and his hero with re-roll hits of 1, and then use the battalion to target the sequitors when I need to.
  2. I fear a massive charge from the Lord Arcanum, followed by dropping 3 flasks, and dealing 3xD3 mortal wounds to an Ark. Company - with Thryng, some of them might get to fight anyway?

Grudgehammer probably isn't that great for a Khemist though.

I have about 2k points - across 12 Riggers, 10 Thunderers, 20 Ark. Co, 2 Frigates, 2 Gunhaulers and 1 of each hero - I'm just a bit overloaded with options, and my play experience is VERY limited, so I just don't know what works (had 2 games so far)

Any help appreciated - or alternative list options based on what I have available

image.png.a34a38906de760d10bf62cf2440eac49.png

I have not played any MEs with KO specifically. However, I would never really take a battalion at such low points totals as you really don't get value from it. Also, if you are worried about him dropping his units from the sky you could go for Mhornar ans use the navigator artefact to make it impossible for him to charge your ship with one unit a turn essentially.

If you want to use Thryng (seems sensible) I would rather use Riggers rather than Arkanauts as they are going to do a lot more for you if they roll to fight after being charged. Plus, if you take an Endrinmaster to make the riggers battleline he will put in work against the Arcanum (and anything else). Lastly, my experience with MEs is that speed and the ability to reposition quickly are king. 

My first pass is that I would play something like this. Thunderers chill in the Gunhauler and fly off to murder things. General and his melee Riggers do similar. Should be good fun. You could also give the melee unit one skyhook for superior charge if you are so inclined. 

image.png.b9eaf41d161089aedb0cabf44612a466.png

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

44 minutes ago, ByronicHero said:

I have not played any MEs with KO specifically. However, I would never really take a battalion at such low points totals as you really don't get value from it. Also, if you are worried about him dropping his units from the sky you could go for Mhornar ans use the navigator artefact to make it impossible for him to charge your ship with one unit a turn essentially.

If you want to use Thryng (seems sensible) I would rather use Riggers rather than Arkanauts as they are going to do a lot more for you if they roll to fight after being charged. Plus, if you take an Endrinmaster to make the riggers battleline he will put in work against the Arcanum (and anything else). Lastly, my experience with MEs is that speed and the ability to reposition quickly are king. 

My first pass is that I would play something like this. Thunderers chill in the Gunhauler and fly off to murder things. General and his melee Riggers do similar. Should be good fun. You could also give the melee unit one skyhook for superior charge if you are so inclined. 

That's a super interesting list, it would be nice to just have everything be very fast I guess :D I'm definitely adding this to my list of ... ya know ... lists 😛   and it's now #1 contender for my 1k game - thank you kindly for your time, I genuinely appreciate it.

I was a little torn on putting a Battalion in, I liked the idea of extra ednrinworks, and the re-roll 1's - but I see what you mean .... it's  more than 10% of my total list in a battalion and it won't mean much if I lose my units and no-one gets the benefit anymore :D 

27 minutes ago, Celadoor said:

That's a super interesting list, it would be nice to just have everything be very fast I guess :D I'm definitely adding this to my list of ... ya know ... lists 😛   and it's now #1 contender for my 1k game - thank you kindly for your time, I genuinely appreciate it.

I was a little torn on putting a Battalion in, I liked the idea of extra ednrinworks, and the re-roll 1's - but I see what you mean .... it's  more than 10% of my total list in a battalion and it won't mean much if I lose my units and no-one gets the benefit anymore :D 

Assuming equal skill and luck I think that list would beat your friend's list most of the time. This isn't super important because especially now whilst you are learning the game it is far more important to play with things that you think are cool. 

Battalions are very strong, but a lot of their worth is tied to being able to decide initial turn order in games which is not as relevant for ME. Also the effect obviously scales with the more things you can put in a battalion which naturally means they are more effective the larger a game is. 

15 hours ago, ByronicHero said:

I'm going to copy this lists. Super interesting to play with and I think it could be awesome!!

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Here’s my current list. It is a beta strike list with shooting that averages 59 damage per turn (before saves and rerolls) but can potentially do 178 damage per turn. Also can repair up to 24 damage per turn as well.

*settle the grudges, always take what you are owed, without our ships we are naught 

General: Endrinmaster w/dirigible, endrinprofessor, phosphorus bombs

Ironclad w/hull plates, volleycannon

Gunhauler w/cannon x2 (1x with torpedo)

Endrinriggers (3 man, ranged weapons) x 7 

Thunderers (rifles, garrisoned, 10 man)

Grundstock Escort Wing battalion 

5 hours ago, Nick907 said:

Here’s my current list. It is a beta strike list with shooting that averages 59 damage per turn (before saves and rerolls) but can potentially do 178 damage per turn. Also can repair up to 24 damage per turn as well.

*settle the grudges, always take what you are owed, without our ships we are naught 

General: Endrinmaster w/dirigible, endrinprofessor, phosphorus bombs

Ironclad w/hull plates, volleycannon

Gunhauler w/cannon x2 (1x with torpedo)

Endrinriggers (3 man, ranged weapons) x 7 

Thunderers (rifles, garrisoned, 10 man)

Grundstock Escort Wing battalion 

Only one hero? You auto-lost a sizable portion of scenarios 

I love ships!  I posted earlier about a ship heavy list... Now with the points drop I thought I would revisit.  I know this may not be the most competitive, I just love the ships. 

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
- Sky Port: Barak Zilfin

Leaders
Endrinmaster with Endrinharness (100)
Endrinmaster with Endrinharness (100)

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (90)
Arkanaut Frigate (220)
Arkanaut Frigate (220)
Arkanaut Frigate (220)