AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

5 minutes ago, Sttufe said:

SO if you buy the Fancy Endrinmaster you get another 6 skyriggers, which is nice, I would say that looks like a good evolution, you might want to buy another set of thunderers so you can do different loadouts for your ironclad's troops. Other than that looks great.

Actually i  just buy the single modell on ebay.

I am not sold on more Riggers and i would like to keep it cheap.😅

Edited by Archibald

23 hours ago, Sttufe said:

SO if you buy the Fancy Endrinmaster you get another 6 skyriggers, which is nice, I would say that looks like a good evolution, you might want to buy another set of thunderers so you can do different loadouts for your ironclad's troops. Other than that looks great.

I have to thank you again for that advice.

I noticed that the cheapest way (moneywise) to field an Ironclad is to buy the Aetherwar box, resell the Tzeentch stuff and buy an Ironclad. 
When i would buy the start collecting box i would be in need of a second battleline unit, because either the Gunhauler or the Thunderers would be battleline. But not both at the same time.

So i ordered the Aetherwar box and will add an Ironclad soon.

My first 1000p list would look something like this:

1000p Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: non

Artycle: settle the grudge

Amendment: always take what you are owed

Footnote: there is no trading with some people

220p Endrinmaster in Dirigible Suit (General, Grudgebearer, Phosphorite Bomblets)

100p Endrinriggers

100p Endrinriggers

510p Ironclad (last word)

Will it be good? I don't know.

Will it be a ton of fun to shoot-shoot-shoot my enemy. Definitly!

Now i will have to choose a color sceme. I guess i like Baral-Thryng. Have never seen anybody use that one before. Why is that?

4 hours ago, Archibald said:

I have to thank you again for that advice.

I noticed that the cheapest way (moneywise) to field an Ironclad is to buy the Aetherwar box, resell the Tzeentch stuff and buy an Ironclad. 
When i would buy the start collecting box i would be in need of a second battleline unit, because either the Gunhauler or the Thunderers would be battleline. But not both at the same time.

So i ordered the Aetherwar box and will add an Ironclad soon.

My first 1000p list would look something like this:

1000p Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: non

Artycle: settle the grudge

Amendment: always take what you are owed

Footnote: there is no trading with some people

220p Endrinmaster in Dirigible Suit (General, Grudgebearer, Phosphorite Bomblets)

100p Endrinriggers

100p Endrinriggers

510p Ironclad (last word)

Will it be good? I don't know.

Will it be a ton of fun to shoot-shoot-shoot my enemy. Definitly!

Now i will have to choose a color sceme. I guess i like Baral-Thryng. Have never seen anybody use that one before. Why is that?

Thryng is based on taking a lot of other dwarf allies, and a more traditional type of foot slogging playstyle, and so most KO players don't use it too often. My problem with that is bodies. On objectives you are going to have to kill, kill, kill. There is really no way you can contest objectives with so few bodies. I would say you might want to swap out a unit of riggers for some arknauts. Really there isn't a good way you are going to get all the units you want in a small number of boxes, so I would say that getting some arkanauts would be useful.

6 hours ago, Sttufe said:

Thryng is based on taking a lot of other dwarf allies, and a more traditional type of foot slogging playstyle, and so most KO players don't use it too often. My problem with that is bodies. On objectives you are going to have to kill, kill, kill. There is really no way you can contest objectives with so few bodies. I would say you might want to swap out a unit of riggers for some arknauts. Really there isn't a good way you are going to get all the units you want in a small number of boxes, so I would say that getting some arkanauts would be useful.

I was only talking about the color sceme that i will be using.

Red with white armor looks just very cool.^^

Regarding skyport i guess i will use Urbaz or Zilfin. What is with the artykle and the command trait/artefact etc. I chose. Legit stuff?

A unit of Arcanauts was added to the buying list!:p

Edited by Archibald
  • Like 1

Hey fellow Admirals,

i want to paint my Overlords in a Barak-Thryng sceme. Unfortunately i am not quite sure how to paint the boats.

After a bit of google searching i found that there were color plates for each Skyport in the old battletome. I could only find the full color plates for Barak-Nar and Barak-Ziflin. For Barak-Thryng i could only find the color plates for the troops, but not for the ships...

So my question is if someone who has the old battletome at hand could make a photo of said page? That would be of great help!:)

7 hours ago, Archibald said:

Hey fellow Admirals,

i want to paint my Overlords in a Barak-Thryng sceme. 

The old book didnt have them all, at the front end were some sketches of the ports, but only Nar, Zilfin, Zon and urbaz had ships in theirs. Mhornar and Thryng didnt have any. 

I dont know of any official images of Thryng ships. Id just do top half of the hull bone, bottom half red which is what most have done looking around online.

3 hours ago, Rahxephon said:

The old book didnt have them all, at the front end were some sketches of the ports, but only Nar, Zilfin, Zon and urbaz had ships in theirs. Mhornar and Thryng didnt have any. 

I dont know of any official images of Thryng ships. Id just do top half of the hull bone, bottom half red which is what most have done looking around online.

The balloon seems to be mostly the white with gold details, as opposed to the other way around.

Loving these pics guys, keep them coming!!

Question for anyone’s who’s painted an Ironclad - did you stick the guy with the paintbrush on the side or not? Seems a bit jarring to have some fella who missed a bit hanging around while the bombs are going off. 

3 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Loving these pics guys, keep them coming!!

Question for anyone’s who’s painted an Ironclad - did you stick the guy with the paintbrush on the side or not? Seems a bit jarring to have some fella who missed a bit hanging around while the bombs are going off. 

Gotta do what you gotta do amirite? I like him there, shows how important the paint is too the ship.

4 hours ago, Archibald said:

Just wanted to share my first test miniature for my Barak-Thryng Skyport.

I know i am not the best painter (especially because of my impatience),

but i would like to hear your opinions.😊

Not 100% shure about the base edges yet.

EEE95E26-5472-485F-ADBC-EB579F5D3E31.jpeg

50BF39B4-63A8-40AF-A970-003AFA1FAB73.jpeg

Absolutely love him, the red is better done here than in the art, it really gives that worn and used feel.

4 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

I thought the same thing. I might leave him off and safe him for some conversion later on. Or just give him a gun, or let him grapple with some bird(nest).

in anotherwise quite clean design he is a weird kind off ‘lets do something jokey’ in the range. Same goes for the drillbill. If it didn’t have rules I would leave that one off as well. 

52 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

PSA for Kharadron, the prices for the Ironclad, Skyriggers, Thunderers and Thundrik's Profiteers are going to increase in June.

Nevermind :( Although I am happy that it wasn't hit too hard by the global depression thing

Edited by Sttufe

11 hours ago, Sttufe said:

Nevermind :( Although I am happy that it wasn't hit too hard by the global depression thing

It sucks, but at least we are in the low side of the price rise. I wanted to buy a second Ironclad but I will wait for the GHB2020. 

On 5/16/2020 at 8:24 PM, Sttufe said:

There is also the whole "the sky port might not be playable as intended.." thing. Since non of the duardin units gain the Kharadron Overlords keyword.

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

How do you deal with a turn 1 Mawkrusher charge? I witnessed a game where a KO gunline was totally obliterated in 2 turns by that beast.

He had just two Gunhaulers, Brokk, 6 Endrinriggers, a Khemist, 10 Thunderes and lots of Arcanaut Company.

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

How do you deal with a turn 1 Mawkrusher charge? I witnessed a game where a KO gunline was totally obliterated in 2 turns by that beast.

He had just two Gunhaulers, Brokk, 6 Endrinriggers, a Khemist, 10 Thunderes and lots of Arcanaut Company.

A Navigator? Aether storm can be quite good to deal with it.

The Last Word on an Ironclad can be a solid punch if it charges (and it will).

Similar with a Khemist with the right spell.

Also, was it ethereal? This takes away rend and is quite hard to counter. In my eyes, it should not be able to be placed on monsters.

And did they read "strength from victory" right? It only triggers once per round.

34 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

A Navigator? Aether storm can be quite good to deal with it.

The Last Word on an Ironclad can be a solid punch if it charges (and it will).

Similar with a Khemist with the right spell.

Also, was it ethereal? This takes away rend and is quite hard to counter. In my eyes, it should not be able to be placed on monsters.

And did they read "strength from victory" right? It only triggers once per round.

Navigators sounds good. I guess that could help a lot!

It wasn't ethereal. The biggest problems were the free mighty destroyer move from the ironfist battalion and the fact that we play on 48x48 boards.So the Mawcrusher naturally can move 24 and then gets +1 to charges. So he is in your gunline in the first round (the more i think about it, the Navigators Aetherstorm ability sounds more and more awesome😄).

Another thing with the Orruks is the Smashin and bashin rule. My Oruuk enemy on regular base destroys my whole BoC army (MSU because i don't have enough models for big herds) before any of my units can make a punch. I hope my Skyfleet will not end up the same.😅

17 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Navigators sounds good. I guess that could help a lot!

It wasn't ethereal. The biggest problems were the free mighty destroyer move from the ironfist battalion and the fact that we play on 48x48 boards.So the Mawcrusher naturally can move 24 and then gets +1 to charges. So he is in your gunline in the first round (the more i think about it, the Navigators Aetherstorm ability sounds more and more awesome😄).

Another thing with the Orruks is the Smashin and bashin rule. My Oruuk enemy on regular base destroys my whole BoC army (MSU because i don't have enough models for big herds) before any of my units can make a punch. I hope my Skyfleet will not end up the same.😅

How does it move 24? Is it an Ironjaws ability? Its move is only 12" undamaged (and drops quite steadily if you damage it). I may get the rules wrong (I don't really play).

Edited by zilberfrid

20 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

There is also the whole "the sky port might not be playable as intended.." thing. Since non of the duardin units gain the Kharadron Overlords keyword.

What’s the argument there? 
they all get barak thryng right? 
Or is the argument that without the KO keyword you can’t be KO allegiance and as such can’t choose the sub faction?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Archibald said:

The first way is to underdrop the jawz, start first, eliminate as much as you can, prioritize war chanter and gore gruntas, the double halves move to maw with your Navigator, and take space with your company. Otherwise if ironjawz underdrop you, play conservative in one corner, with less model as screen you can to minimize the damage that the maw can inflict and then hope in double turn to make damage 

• Like 2