AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 hours ago, Unter said:

No worries, and yes I tried the Skyhook with the same list at a one day tournament and although it helped a charge or two the main issue was you could fluff your shooting phase with the clad a lot easier, which cost me the only game I lost (I think an opponent saved the skyhook shot on a 6), as I was robbed of the clad's main gun damage.

Ossiarch have nasty output but it's definitely a good matchup for us. Try and fly high to one side of the map and focus everything at the closest unit, then they should have to spend their turn walking towards you at which point you can fly to the opposite side of the board - again, battleplan dependent. 

Problem with Ossiarch is the matchup can spike based on Crawler shots. They shouldn't be able to hurt your clad too much with it, but all it takes is one bad roll and they can down your clad in a turn or two, but that's just the game :D

Good to know about the Skyhook.  Do you find that the Shrapnel attack does more damage on average than the Shell?  

My Ossiarch friend definitely likes the crawler, he has a pretty nasty list where he teams it up with the Soulstealer Carrion endless spell.  That is not too much fun when all of it goes off.  Luckily, with this army I will just fly away.  Given the opportunity would try to commit to taking the Crawler off the field, or simply trying to weather the storm until late game?  I am really excited about Kharadron; now just to pair back my Tzeentch army so I can fund so many ships!  😆

17 hours ago, Lorax said:

Good to know about the Skyhook.  Do you find that the Shrapnel attack does more damage on average than the Shell?  

My Ossiarch friend definitely likes the crawler, he has a pretty nasty list where he teams it up with the Soulstealer Carrion endless spell.  That is not too much fun when all of it goes off.  Luckily, with this army I will just fly away.  Given the opportunity would try to commit to taking the Crawler off the field, or simply trying to weather the storm until late game?  I am really excited about Kharadron; now just to pair back my Tzeentch army so I can fund so many ships!  😆

Yea it just spikes less, there'll be times when the shell is better though. 

Honestly I just ignore the Crawler, it is still really tanky and most battleplans you will need to be shooting Mortek Guard to stop them scoring.

On 3/24/2020 at 1:57 AM, 5kaven5lave said:

So, assuming a lot of us have had a bit more time on our hands in recent days / weeks, what’s everyone been painting?

Managed to churn out 10 ArCo, 6 Endrinriggers and an Aether-Khemist in the last month, still got 1600 points to go of my list though so hope my primer doesn’t run out!

This is what I have accomplished so far during 'ronatine.

20200509_095806.jpg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

9 hours ago, Matt Sandi said:

Hey up, does anyone use a lord-ordinator in their list? Don't see many about in kharadron lists and can't understand why when they give +1 to hit to skyvessels ...is it because they lack the movement required?

That's a big part of it. The Ordinator is a great buff piece if you plan to just park the ships in his aura. However, that's the opposite of how most KO armies want to work; ships are a big mobility tool, and since you can't bring the Ordinator with you, it's hard to get the bang for your buck from him.

10 hours ago, Matt Sandi said:

Hey up, does anyone use a lord-ordinator in their list? Don't see many about in kharadron lists and can't understand why when they give +1 to hit to skyvessels ...is it because they lack the movement required?

I would be far more happy to run an Ordinator in a Tempest Eye army that has a few boats in it, as that army will still have a less mobile center force that you can use to screen out your boats.  On the other hand, they also get the hurricanum, so it is kind of questionable as to whether you should take both (since you probably want to bring the hurricanum anyways). 

For KO itself... I don't really want to be tied to a 5" move to get my + hit. However, I could see moving a squad of gunhaulers (3-5 of them) with drill cannons (because with a 36" range, you really don't have to move much to touch the whole table anyways) to kind of sit around and snipe out hero's and support pieces.  Most of the time though I would rather have the bigger boats that are more willing to move closer so that way they can get off their carbine shots as well.

On 4/28/2020 at 6:00 PM, Sttufe said:

I think that there was an argument a while back and the answer was a yes. Probably should wait for someone else to confirm though, I can't remember the outcome exactly.

I think you cannot, since hitchers is done instead of your normal move, when the unit is eligible to  move, so not in the hero phase 

Out of curiosity how do people build their Endrinriggers? I'm thinking of using a squad of 6 for most of my lists and I can't decide if I want to give them the special weapons for extra range while keeping with the airships or keep them basic as I also like the idea of having them as a threat in melee with those saws. 

On 5/10/2020 at 5:54 PM, Matt Sandi said:

Not mobile, only buffs the ships in range, KO is pretty point hungry. 
mid you want a fitting buff ally get the knight azyros. 
Mobile, buffs everything not using their gold, bonus d3/d6 mortal wounds ability. 

seem like the better fit to me if you are looking for an ally. 

20 hours ago, C.A.O.S said:

I think you cannot, since hitchers is done instead of your normal move, when the unit is eligible to  move, so not in the hero phase 

It doesn’t require you to be eligible to move though. It isn’t tied to a phase. At least that’s my interpretation  

Raw it meets all the requirements. You are within range, you haven’t moved, the ships used the Fly High ability. No limitations on which phase it happens  

Rai there is  also the argument that it is supposed to represent them being master sailers and to me the intention then seems to add mobility. Not limit it. 

but yes it Unclear and should be in the designers commentary. The closest to relevant ruling in there is that a fly high doesn’t count as a retreat. Nor does hitching on to a fly high ship. So there is precedent of the Hitchens rule ignoring the normal move restrictions as long as there is a fly high move within range. 

1 hour ago, Nick907 said:

What's up sky dwarfs? How's the Volleygun working out for all you Ironclad users?  I see a lot of talk about the cannons but no love for the Volleygun. 

Gonna be important if Lizardmen become a big deal in your meta - reducing all damage 2 to damage 1

Volley Cannon will be our main answer if the Clad is gonna stay relevant

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 1:53 PM, Lorax said:

Hey everyone.  I have begun looking into starting a Kharadron army; the ships are just too cool.  On that note, I am at a loss.  It seems like the debate generally boils down to, if you take too many ships you struggle with objectives; and without enough ships you cant get to the objectives.  That said, I have been drawn to having more ships, but the question is how badly am I going to hamstring myself.  Currently looking at a list like this:

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
- Sky Port: Barak Zilfin

LEADERS
Endrinmaster with Endrinharness (100)
- General
- Command Trait : Grudgebearer
- Artefact : Seismic Shock-gauntlets

Endrinmaster with Endrinharness (100)
- Artefact : Staff of Ocular Optimisation

UNITS
10 x Arkanaut Company (90)
- 1 x Skypikes
- 1 x Light Skyhooks
- 1 x Aethermatic Volley Guns

10 x Arkanaut Company (90)
- 1 x Skypikes
- 1 x Light Skyhooks
- 1 x Aethermatic Volley Guns

1 x Grundstok Gunhauler (150)
- Main Gun : Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks : Zonbarcorp 'Debtsettler' Spar Torpedo

- Great Endrinworks : Zonbarcorp 'Debtsettler' Spar Torpedo

BEHEMOTHS
Arkanaut Frigate (250)
- Main Gun : Heavy Sky Cannon
- Kharadron Overlords Battleline (Sky Port: Barak Zilfin)

Arkanaut Frigate (250)
- Main Gun : Heavy Sky Cannon
- Kharadron Overlords Battleline (Sky Port: Barak Zilfin)

Arkanaut Ironclad (510)
- Main Gun : Great Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks : The Last Word

BATTALIONS
Iron Sky Attack Squadron (120)

I am not going to lie, I basically lifted this from AoSShorts because it had a higher number of airships.  Would the play style be using the ArkCo in the Frigates, getting them to objectives and sitting there; while the remaining fleet tries to shoot and scoot as best it can?  How does this hold up in most of your experience?  

Thanks in advance, I know a lot of new players ask for list feedback, but I am trying to build a ship-centric list and do some additional thinking before taking the plunge financially.  

Cheers!

you have  "Great Endrinworks : Zonbarcorp 'Debtsettler' Spar Torpedo" twice, is that allowed in KO?

5 hours ago, Nick907 said:

What's up sky dwarfs? How's the Volleygun working out for all you Ironclad users?  I see a lot of talk about the cannons but no love for the Volleygun. 

I think I am going to build out my ironclad with a volleygun, it seems like a decent option and I just kinda want to see how it does.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

you have  "Great Endrinworks : Zonbarcorp 'Debtsettler' Spar Torpedo" twice, is that allowed in KO?

It is not.  The list I was working from (AosShorts) which had an error on it, and I simply did not know what the right load out was.  Thankfully Unter set me straight on the need for Malefic Mines and the deal breaker battleram.  So it should basically be 1 torepedo, 1 malefic mine, and 1 deal breaker ram.  

1 minute ago, Lorax said:

It is not.  The list I was working from (AosShorts) which had an error on it, and I simply did not know what the right load out was.  Thankfully Unter set me straight on the need for Malefic Mines and the deal breaker battleram.  So it should basically be 1 torepedo, 1 malefic mine, and 1 deal breaker ram.  

Ah np, Wasnt sure as I am looking at KO for my second army and still learning, and i want a heavy ship list also 

54 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

Ah np, Wasnt sure as I am looking at KO for my second army and still learning, and i want a heavy ship list also 

No problem.  This is actually exactly what I am doing!  Very much leaning toward that ship heavy list above.  Good luck!

Any thoughts on this list? Viable at all?

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
- Sky Port: None

Kharadron Code
- Artycle: Settle The Grudges
- Amendment: Always Take What You Are Owed
- Footnote: Without Our Ships We Are Naught

Leaders
Endrinadmiral Buller Halsek (220)
Endrinmaster with Dirigible Suit
- General
- Command Trait: Grudgebearer
- Artefact: Phosphorite Bomblets
Navigator Master Twaid (100)
Aetheric Navigator
- Artefact: Svaregg-Stein Illuminator Flarepistol

Battleline
Marines 1 (90)
10 x Arkanaut Company
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 1x Aethermatic Volley Guns
Marines 2 (90)
10 x Arkanaut Company
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
Fighting Repair 1 (200)
6 x Endrinriggers
- 1x Skyhooks
Fighting Repair 2 (200)
6 x Endrinriggers
- 1x Skyhooks

Units
BKS Risk (DD-1) (150)
1 x Grundstok Gunhauler
- Main Gun: Drill Cannon
BKS Reward (DD-2) (150)
1 x Grundstok Gunhauler
- Main Gun: Sky Cannon
BKS Juhnstun (DD-5) (150)
1 x Grundstok Gunhauler
- Main Gun: Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Coalbeard's Collapsible Compartments

Behemoths
BKS Endeavor (CA-1) (250)
Arkanaut Frigate
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Prudency Chutes
BKS Venture (CA-2) (250)
Arkanaut Frigate
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon

Battalions
Iron Sky Attack Squadron (120)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 113

I figure there would be 2 battlegroups of frigate/gunhauler/endrineers, and the navigator would roll in the 3rd gunhauler hitting their choicest target with the flare pistol then rolling to where needed.

• Like 2

Hello fellow Admirals,

i am thinking of starting my own fleet and it as to include the ironclad. Just love this model!

I take part in a CTL tournament at my local Warhammer store (1500p, 48x48 boards), so i want to build a competitive 1500p army. Maybe 1000p for the start.

I just bought the battletome. My buying list would be:

1x Arcanaut Company

1x start collecting

1x Ironclad

So i will have a 1000p list for 210€, which is quite cheap i guess.

The upgrade to 1500p would be another start collecting and the Thundrik Profiteers. And maybe an Endrinmaster in his fancy suit.

so what do you think? Is this a good starting point? Any tipps? Suggestions?

9 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Hello fellow Admirals,

i am thinking of starting my own fleet and it as to include the ironclad. Just love this model!

I take part in a CTL tournament at my local Warhammer store (1500p, 48x48 boards), so i want to build a competitive 1500p army. Maybe 1000p for the start.

I just bought the battletome. My buying list would be:

1x Arcanaut Company

1x start collecting

1x Ironclad

So i will have a 1000p list for 210€, which is quite cheap i guess.

The upgrade to 1500p would be another start collecting and the Thundrik Profiteers. And maybe an Endrinmaster in his fancy suit.

so what do you think? Is this a good starting point? Any tipps? Suggestions?

SO if you buy the Fancy Endrinmaster you get another 6 skyriggers, which is nice, I would say that looks like a good evolution, you might want to buy another set of thunderers so you can do different loadouts for your ironclad's troops. Other than that looks great.