AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

5 hours ago, Frowny said:

I magnetized it to do either option. Took more work than I'd thought.

That being said, the gyro is way way way better. The steam cannons will obliterate hordes of you get 3 in very close, which is great. The bombing run is a bit finicky to set up but still useful, especially for little heroes. However, the copters already have one set anyway. Bombers need to drop twice to have any chance of edging out the copters, but to drop them you often End up pretty close to the target and take casualties on the next turn anyway.

For their slightly different prices and wounds, they are about the same survivability. The extra 2inch move on the copters is nice too and makes setting up the bombs easier

I prefer Bombers all the way,,extra wound per model and once ya get the hang of using the bomb drops,they can deal impressive mortal wound damage and even some decent damage from their guns now and then.Mainly...try and set up bombing runs on the flanks of larger enemy formations that are locked in combat with your large or tanking units,Fly over,bomb then land just out of enemy pile in shenanigans and shoot rinse and repeat if possible,.or if you need to,retreat along with a run, and bomb as you do so,making your way further into your opponents backfield of course.Then spend a turn or two pooping all over his casters or artillery.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kramer said:

You must be playing thryng then ;)  

I doubt you will find another 10 wounds unit with a 4+ (potentially rerollable) save for 90 points.

Imo 30-40 Arkanauts are a very good objective holder for their costs. 

Edited by Phasteon
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Phasteon said:

I doubt you will find another 10 wounds unit with a 4+ (potentially rerollable) save. 

Imo 30-40 Arkanauts are a very good objective holder for their costs. 

Liberators are 10 wounds with a 4+ save. But you mean when taking their price into account ;) 

im also in the Arkanauts camp. Super valuable for us... but I wouldn't call it a tanking unit because even with their 4+ save they fold fast. 

10 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Liberators are 10 wounds with a 4+ save. But you mean when taking their price into account ;) 

im also in the Arkanauts camp. Super valuable for us... but I wouldn't call it a tanking unit because even with their 4+ save they fold fast. 

Yeah I edited it.

Following that logic EVERY unit folds fast. 

Even 3+ Save Mortek if they are on their own.

Edited by Phasteon

6 hours ago, Sttufe said:

I am very confused about something I was noting. The KO faction seem to be a very popular faction, rivaling the cities of sigmar in terms of how many people are talking about them in this forum. However they also have the LOWEST range of models of the order models. This seems strange and also applies for the Sylvaneth.  This seems especially sad when taken in light of the fact that we finally got a battletome, but no models or even terrain to go with it. Great faction, but still.

Ah well, on another note, having problems with my endrinmasters stand, broke once and I can't get him to do the whole standing up thing, any advice?

DoK 6, Fyreslayers 9 (counting , KO 11 

Lowest? Kharadron Overlords are middle of the pack. Daughters of Khaine only have 6 unique kits, Fyreslayers have 9 (counting both Invocations and their forge, but not the Underworlds Warband),  Sylvaneth have 11 unique kits (again, counting terrain and endless spells but not WU), while Kharadron Overlords have 12. Idoneth Deepking also only have 12 unique kits with their shipwreck. Cities of Sigmar, Stormcast Eternals and Seraphon are the exception, not the norm in ORDER. 

I think not having too many (often unnecessary/redundant) units is one of the things that makes AoS armies more appealing to me compared to 40k. 

KO have all units they need to fill the roles they are supposed to fill sufficiently. 

Also narrativly it makes sense that KO are stuck with what they have. Ofc you can add Aethergolems or a Zonbak (armed defense light house fyi) but you risk hurting the overall theme of the army when you create units that dont 100% reflect what the army is about. 

Edit: Except for aetherpowered Duardin Terminators. I‘d totally dig them 😂

Edited by Phasteon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Phasteon said:

Following that logic EVERY unit folds fast. 

Even 3+ Save Mortek if they are on their own.

For me Mortek guard are definitely tank units. They have a great save, get re-rolls in combat, never flee and replenish if you don’t kill them all (or the heroes). 
It’s just about the term tank. So far I haven’t played a unit of arkanauts bigger than 20 to be fair. But they fold super fast for me. (play cities, ogors and Skaven mostly). 
the argument  that bombers work very well especially if you:

3 hours ago, Thostos said:

Mainly...try and set up bombing runs on the flanks of larger enemy formations that are locked in combat with your large or tanking units,

That doesn’t work for more than 1 turn with arkanauts imo. They’re great, just not tanky enough for that in my experience. 
you’ll rarely get the charge. So you get punched their turn. Then you get to fly over (unless your doubled) and then you have to survive a second round. 

you might get the double in between. But in that case it would also have worked with a 10 man screen.

from how arkanauts have played for me. They don’t tank enough to make this a solid tactic that you can play for every game.
but if it works for, kudos. 

Edited by Kramer

13 minutes ago, Kramer said:

For me Mortek guard are definitely tank units. They have a great save, get re-rolls in combat, never flee and replenish if you don’t kill them all (or the heroes). 
It’s just about the term tank. So far I haven’t played a unit of arkanauts bigger than 20 to be fair. But they fold super fast for me. (play cities, ogors and Skaven mostly). 
the argument  that bombers work very well especially if you:

That doesn’t work for more than 1 turn with arkanauts imo. They’re great, just not tanky enough for that in my experience. 
you’ll rarely get the charge. So you get punched their turn. Then you get to fly over (unless your doubled) and then you have to survive a second round. 

you might get the double in between. But in that case it would also have worked with a 10 man screen.

from how arkanauts have played for me. They don’t tank enough to make this a solid tactic that you can play for every game.
but if it works for, kudos. 

I think when fighting for an objective isolated 30 Arkanauts vs 20 Mortek Guard (270 vs 260) are an equal match up. 

I‘d say they can take a comparable amount of punishment unsupported. 

48 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

I think not having too many (often unnecessary/redundant) units is one of the things that makes AoS armies more appealing to me compared to 40k. 

KO have all units they need to fill the roles they are supposed to fill sufficiently. 

Also narrativly it makes sense that KO are stuck with what they have. Ofc you can add Aethergolems or a Zonbak (armed defense light house fyi) but you risk hurting the overall theme of the army when you create units that dont 100% reflect what the army is about. 

Edit: Except for aetherpowered Duardin Terminators. I‘d totally dig them 😂

First of all, I love Kharadron Overlords and everything about them. But I have a minor complain (about the game): More "narrative/campaign" features for matched play.

I know that it's something that it will be fixed by time, but some example that I would love to see (no need for new kits, just new warscrolls): More unique/named characters that change how their own Barak works (like White Dwarfs named characters, with their own lists and battalions), Unique/special troops  (like Black Squad Thunderers with a warscroll that reflects their Ghostbuster-style game, Orruk Warclans have something like that in their new battalions, with champions gaining more wounds, but could be new abilities or just improved warscrolls), New "special" Baraks with restricted lists or forced battalions (ex.: you can't take any Grundstock unit if your army is from Barak-Zoff but your Admirals gain the Wizzard Keyword and a new Spell-Lore), etc... 

I'm really curious what Kharadrons will become in two or three years.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Beliman said:

First of all, I love Kharadron Overlords and everything about them. But I have a minor complain (about the game): More "narrative/campaign" features for matched play.

I know that it's something that it will be fixed by time, but some example that I would love to see (no need for new kits, just new warscrolls): More unique/named characters that change how their own Barak works (like White Dwarfs named characters, with their own lists and battalions), Unique/special troops  (like Black Squad Thunderers with a warscroll that reflects their Ghostbuster-style game, Orruk Warclans have something like that in their new battalions, with champions gaining more wounds, but could be new abilities or just improved warscrolls), New "special" Baraks with restricted lists or forced battalions (ex.: you can't take any Grundstock unit if your army is from Barak-Zoff but your Admirals gain the Wizzard Keyword and a new Spell-Lore), etc... 

I‘d actually like them to make all named characters equally impactful so you actually want to take them. 

Brokk for example is „the best Admiral ever“ by lore but has actually not a single of the Admirals abilities. 

-Why not reroll 1s against Heroes/Monsters

-why no „Immune to battleshock“ as he is like the „Champion of Progress +1“

- why a CA that is basically useless in a shooting army (imagine him giving +1 to wound for shooting or old Khemist buff for a unit. „To the victor the spoils, so shoot them off my sight“) 

- why not making skyriggers battleline when he is the general, as its even described in his background that attacking with riggers is his main strategy. Hell, why not a CA especially for that unit type to make their combined use his niche. 

I dont know.. I really like his started from scratch background and the model is probably the best in the whole range, but he kind of feels generic as f.

He has literally no ability that makes him a worthwhile pick, except for his „buffed“ shooting compared to the Endrinmaster (but then again he makes Skyriggers battleline and can heal flat 3)

Overall a real bummer and a missed chance.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Black squad thunderers as a batallion: 1 unit of Thunderers, 1 Gunhauler with compartment, get a save 4+ against mortal wounds and both the Gunhauler and Thunderers can unbind or dispell.

Do iiit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

100% agree. But At this moment, I'm not to worried by the power-level of our rules.

Btw, Congratz to the Kharadron General that just won Age of Leapmar!!

Not worried too and I still think Brokk is worth 240 points, I‘d just rather had him at 300 again where he originally started but with a kit that makes him the best force multiplier KO can get. 

Thats just my understanding of how the most capable of all Admirals should work. 

Edit; Also I second those congrats, its nice to see we can compete (havent lost yet as well so I‘m still very positive about the army in general) 

Edited by Phasteon
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Beliman said:

Yeah, I kind of agree, I guess I feel more like a collector than a competitive player, I want a big, cool, super-diverse army. Kharadron Overlords have already got one THE most creative and interesting model design, but I am human, and I will always want more. I would love to see custom warscroll type stuff with some more divergent type  Baraks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Phasteon said:

Edit: Except for aetherpowered Duardin Terminators. I‘d totally dig them 

Dude, that'd be sick though.  Like an elite squad of Endrinharness equipped dorfs. Like Skyriggers but tougher and ground only maybe.

Not that I don't love Fyreslayers models but kitbashing something together with heavier armor and a harness could work as Hearthguard. Maybe mixing Skyriggers and Thunderer bits. >.> (Already had my first experience with Green Stuff now in my attempt to make a female fyreslayer Hearthguard)

6 hours ago, Beliman said:

100% agree. But At this moment, I'm not to worried by the power-level of our rules.

Btw, Congratz to the Kharadron General that just won Age of Leapmar!!

And woo! Great to see us win a tourney! This tome is just what we needed. I'll definitely feel my losses are my fault rather than weakish rules. XD;

16 hours ago, Sttufe said:

Ah well, on another note, having problems with my endrinmasters stand, broke once and I can't get him to do the whole standing up thing, any advice?

Magnets work really well, i did it to all my balloons. 1 on their pack where the stand usually cradles, and 1 on the end of your broken stand/ non broken stand. Easy peasy. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ser_namron said:

Magnets work really well, i did it to all my balloons. 1 on their pack where the stand usually cradles, and 1 on the end of your broken stand/ non broken stand. Easy peasy. 

I too magnetize my endrinriggers to their flight stands. Drilled the magnet into the seat of their pants though  

I highly recommend green stuffing a cap around the magnet you stick to the flight stand. Mine didn’t hold up with just super glue. 

Edited by Cauthon
  • Like 1

Hey everyone, new to AoS and KO. However I'm really excited to play and I've already got:

1x Endrinmaster with Dirigible Suit

1x Arkanaut Company

2x Endrinriggers

1x Arkanaut Frigate

1x Grundstok Gunhauler

1x Arkanaut Ironclad

Where do you guys recommend I go from here in order to build a competitive list?

38 minutes ago, Areldion said:

Hey everyone, new to AoS and KO. However I'm really excited to play and I've already got:

1x Arkanaut Company

2x Endrinriggers

1x Arkanaut Frigate

1x Grundstok Gunhauler

1x Arkanaut Ironclad

Where do you guys recommend I go from here in order to build a competitive list?

A start collecting set for sure. Maybe another box of thunderers.  A navigator and khemist are also good to have for various reasons.

1 hour ago, Cauthon said:

I too magnetize my endrinriggers to their flight stands. Drilled the magnet into the seat of their pants though  

I highly recommend green stuffing a cap around the magnet you stick to the flight stand. Mine didn’t hold up with just super glue. 

i havent had any problems so far, but yours probably also look nicer than mine with a drilled hole lol. I have been magnetizing all their weapons with the drill though, so if need be ill switch! So far so good though. 

1 hour ago, Areldion said:

1x Arkanaut Company

2x Endrinriggers

1x Arkanaut Frigate

1x Grundstok Gunhauler

1x Arkanaut Ironclad

definitely add a start collecting box. 2 Gunhaulers never hurts, another hero is a great addition, and the thunderers would really be a great addition. Build out it's sky-riggers as wardens and you ave a pretty solid base of units to build an army on. On top of that getting the navigator or the khemist is very useful, and probably another company or 2, and you would be set for most lists.

3 hours ago, Ser_namron said:

i havent had any problems so far, but yours probably also look nicer than mine with a drilled hole lol. I have been magnetizing all their weapons with the drill though, so if need be ill switch! So far so good though. 

They don’t look nice at all when it’s a dude laying next to his base. 

The magnet on the dude end wasn’t the problem, it’s keeping them from popping off the super smooth surface of the flight stand. I clipped mine to be a flat surface but it really needs a bit of green stuff to make a cap to hold the magnet to the flight stem.

• Like 1