AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 hours ago, Sttufe said:

so quick question, what are some good endless spells for a khemists spell in a bottle? Specifically for a Zon army.

Typically look for something you’re missing. Need crowd control? Warp lightning, the fec wall halves movement, chains, the pyramids

need to amplify damage? Everblaze, daemonrift, pendulum, purp sun for hordes pretty good against mortek.

need mobility? You shouldnt but soulscream.

Playtest your list see what youre lacking and see where your strengths are and choose to either amplify those strengths or pick up slack for your weakness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, plavski said:

KO just won Age of Leapmar: https://tabletop.to/age-of-leapmar

ESAltolUwAETBSp.jpg.44df6aedac37b75e7d9dfb8062cd3c59.jpg

The Galeforce Stave is probably one of the best relics as it makes things that can get very nasty like those 9“ teleport charges basically impossible. 

A friend of mine plays a unit of 6 Varanguard, imagine his face when I just half his charge and he cant get them in, just to get shot next turn. 

Perfect artifact to counter a single deathstar unit.

My take on a female Kharadron:

IMG_20200301_203706925.jpg

IMG_20200301_203739362.jpg

IMG_20200301_203731025.jpg

Adjusted ArCo body, with a Sisters of Battle head with added Escher gang hair bits (braids and crest).

I took a bit of inspiration from the fact that they have to make their own helmets. The mohawk is copper, it's mostly there because the head was boring, and it refers to both the biker background of squats and slayers. Warhammer dwarven females do not have beards, but could have mohawks.The braids were stated to be as important to female dwarves as beards are to males, so I wanted to incorporate that. My barak regularely raids lower, there are also males with the beard visible.

I have now also nailed down the colour scheme: black suits with oxblood leather, with gold, copper, silver and gunmetal providing most of the colour. I still need to get me Aethermatic blue for glass and glowing backpacks.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

So I had an idea right, the main problem with Thryng (as I see it) is that the units you take along are used as a screen and that's about it. They just don't have the mobility to keep up with the rest of your army, which is a problem since that's kinda one of our main focuses. this led to a epiphany, which went about this way: "woah, what if you just said that any duardin units had the marine keyword? Wait, isn't Gotrek a Duardin? Nevermind I guess". Of course Gotrek and the ramming Ironclad of doom with 10 thunderers, an admiral, and a dirigible endrinmaster would be great, and the mounting horror on your opponents face as he realizes that if anything even gets near that ironclad it dies, combined with it's mobility, would make this amazing. Unfortunately, for the same reasons this would be a true wonder, it will never come to pass 😞.

49 minutes ago, Sttufe said:

So I had an idea right, the main problem with Thryng (as I see it) is that the units you take along are used as a screen and that's about it. They just don't have the mobility to keep up with the rest of your army, which is a problem since that's kinda one of our main focuses. this led to a epiphany, which went about this way: "woah, what if you just said that any duardin units had the marine keyword? Wait, isn't Gotrek a Duardin? Nevermind I guess". Of course Gotrek and the ramming Ironclad of doom with 10 thunderers, an admiral, and a dirigible endrinmaster would be great, and the mounting horror on your opponents face as he realizes that if anything even gets near that ironclad it dies, combined with it's mobility, would make this amazing. Unfortunately, for the same reasons this would be a true wonder, it will never come to pass 😞.

Gotrek's warscroll specifically disallows this.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sttufe said:

Imagine the horror on your face when he surrounded your 1300+ points ship, killed it in one go and you realize that everything is dead now. 😄

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2020 at 8:39 PM, DavionStar said:

Hey folks, this might be asking for a lot but I'm having a lot of trouble making a 1k list that I like. I'm always left with 40-80 points to spare and nothing to put in it. I have come up with some 2k lists I like and want to try, but I don't have the models yet. And I'd like to try to get playing at my local shop before then.

So...if anyone's willing to help me, I'll list here what models I currently have, both built and not. And maybe something will click? For Sky-Port I'm not super picky for this small list. Maybe Zon, Thryng or Urbaz. But any's fine. I can use the ones not built, I just figured I'd separate them.

Assembled
30x Arkanauts
9x Endrinriggers
10x Thunderers
1 of each Hero including Endrinmaster on Balloon
1 Frigate
1 Gunhauler
Thundrik's Privateers (could also just have Thundrik himself as a second Khemist)

Owned but not Assembled
10x Arkanauts
6x Skyriggers (planning to make them Wardens)
1 Gunhauler (Technically assembled but in a few pieces waiting priming)
1 Ironclad
5x Hearthguard (Fyreslayers)

So if anyone's willing to try to help me make a list out of these, great. If not, that's ok. I'll keep plugging away at it either way.

I’m currently in an escalation league to Meeting Engagements. Due to this, my list is slightly different from how I’d normally run it (1x10 and 1x20 Arkanauts instead of 3x10)

Skyport: Zilfin
Admiral - Leader - Master Commander Trait

Aether Khemist - Staff is Ocular Optimization

Frigate - Cannon - Omniscope

Gunhauler - Cannon - Debt Settler Torpedo

3x Endrinriggers - 1 Skyhook and 2 rapid fire river gun + chainsaw hand

1x 10 Arkanauts

2x 10 Arkanauts

Last week was 750 points and I ran this list without the Admiral and 20 block of ArCo and it was a blast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Gotrek's warscroll specifically disallows this

Only if the set-up mechanic belongs to spells or abilities (or being in reserve).

If I remember propertly, the Garrison rules are usually part of the "Scenary Rules" or "Special Rules" (like our ships).

That's why I think he can garrison all neutral scenary kits. And if he had the Marine Keyword, it should be legal to put him in our ships.

Edited by Beliman

27 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Only if the set-up mechanic belongs to spells or abilities (or being in reserve).

If I remember propertly, the Garrison rules are usually part of the "Scenary Rules" or "Special Rules" (like our ships).

That's why I think that he can garrison all neutral scenary kits. And if he had the Marine Keyword, it should be legal to put him in our ships.

You are correct. Setting on the table might also be allowed, as it's not in the abilities section. Still, the discussion is moot. If Marine keywords could be distributed, I'd go for Runelord on Anvil of Doom and Gyrocopters (with steam guns).

Edited by zilberfrid

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

You are correct. Setting on the table might also be allowed, as it's not in the abilities section. Still, the discussion is moot. If Marine keywords could be distributed, I'd go for Runelord on Anvil of Doom and Gyrocopters (with steam guns).

100% agree. But it could be fun to see a Gotrek inside a Gunhauler in a Zilfin list😝

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beliman said:

100% agree. But it could be fun to see a Gotrek inside a Gunhauler in a Zilfin list😝

That's quite risky. I'd think opponents would be quite happy to destroy the gunhauler and have a 50% chance of getting Gotrek. I was thinking of an Ironclad with the ramming endrinwork.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DavionStar said:

Nice! Are a 3 model unit of riggers effective in smaller lists? I get worried they'd die too fast.

At 1K and below they’re pretty nice to have for grabbing objectives or providing a speed bump somewhere on the board. Their shooting isn’t bad and their melee is really good. 

I was originally gonna use more in my list because I started with Aether War, but I really wanted to try everything out since I’m new to KO. Also, I ended up changing my mind after the first week as I was planning on taking the Dirigible Suit but we were growing 125 points each week and I wanted a Frigate in my list so I didn’t want to go 2 weeks with no new models in the league.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sttufe said:

So I had an idea right, the main problem with Thryng (as I see it) is that the units you take along are used as a screen and that's about it. They just don't have the mobility to keep up with the rest of your army, which is a problem since that's kinda one of our main focuses. 

One option for this could be to use a Runesmiter and a unit of Fyreslayers. They can deep stike with your boats and provide a beefy wall in front of them. And if you have the points, put the smiter on a magmadroth. 😜

The Magmadroth removes the deepstrike IIRC but they’re a solid anvil that you could build firepower and manoeuvrability around. If your opponent really wants to commit to moving the 20 buffed HGBs they’re going to be shot to smithereens as gaps open up in their backfield. 

9 hours ago, Phasteon said:

Imagine the horror on your face when he surrounded your 1300+ points ship, killed it in one go and you realize that everything is dead now. 😄

but it would be the absolute best distraction carnifex there ever was. Obviously it was just a distraction for my real plan! Which is something. I think. Imagine if Gotrek survived, then there would be problems, and if the rest do survive,then somebody's about to be screwed.

59 minutes ago, DavionStar said:

One option for this could be to use a Runesmiter and a unit of Fyreslayers. They can deep stike with your boats and provide a beefy wall in front of them. And if you have the points, put the smiter on a magmadroth. 😜

Ah, I haven't looked at the Fyreslayers cuz I have barely begun on KO, so I didn't look at him. Could be cool, but what if you put the Magmadroth inside the ironclad? Let shenanigans ensue. Same with putting a bomber, or a steam tank. (are steam tanks Duardin? I can't check because warscrolls aren't loading.)

1 hour ago, Sttufe said:

Ah, I haven't looked at the Fyreslayers cuz I have barely begun on KO, so I didn't look at him. Could be cool, but what if you put the Magmadroth inside the ironclad? Let shenanigans ensue. Same with putting a bomber, or a steam tank. (are steam tanks Duardin? I can't check because warscrolls aren't loading.)

It is fun to imagine stuff, however, lets keep in mind 1 thing.

To embark on a ship, you HAVE to have the MARINE keyword.  At the moment, this keyword is EXCLUSIVE to KO foot hero's, and foot troops.  Anything else that you want to bring can't get on a ship because they don't have that keyword.  To spell this out more specifically, the following units are the ONLY ones that can embark:

Hero's:
Aether-Khemist
Aetheric Navigator
Arkanaut Admiral
Bjorgen Thundrik
Endrinmaster with Endrinharness

Other Units:
Arkanaut Company
Grundstok Thunderers
Thundrik's Profiteers

So, want to stick Gotrek on a ship?  Too bad, he isn't a marine.  How about some Fyreslayers?  Nope, not marines.  Maybe some irondrakes?  Nope, not marines.  Hey, Thunderers are duradin, how about them?  Nope, Thunderers =/= Grundstok Thunderers, and are not marines.  What about ... No.  Not a marine.  If it isn't one of those 8 units listed above, it can't get on a ship.  Period.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The best hitting power* you can get in vanilla KO is a unit of 20 Thunderers in an Ironclad with Ebullient. 

Those 42 Schots with reroll 1s to hit reroll wounds is pretty reliable -1 rend output. 

But its 1000 points without any support so better make those shots count!

*actually its 12 Barak Zon Skywardens, but good luck alphastriking them without getting striked first. Also retaliation will hurt. 

Edit: LOL, this happens when you think about something but just write half the story 😂

Haha was thinking about the best unit to garrison in KO. 

Also: I love Fyreslayers but I don‘t think Thrying is competitive. You basically get the worst out of 2 worlds (Fyreslayers allegiance is much stronger and you are losing out on too many points for the actual good KO stuff - I can barely fit everything I want in a 2k pure KO list... and 20 Thunderers is not part of it atm 😂

Haha well sorry for the brainfart 

Edited by Phasteon
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sttufe said:

Ah yeah, just checked the scroll. Can't deep strike on a magmadroth. And putting one in an ironclad? Madness.

Though I kinda wish we could give Irondrakes the Marine keyword. Stick them on an Ironclad and go all Firelord Ozai and burn EVERYTHING. 😜 But alas.

I do still want to make a Thryng list with Fyreslayers someday though. Even if it's not competitive, it'll be fun. (Maybe I should just get the starter box and maybe make a Fyreslayer list on the side cause Runesmiter is expensive on his own)

I'm gonna get the last models done for that list suggested to me before hopefully this week so I can build up the mental fortitude to find a game.

9 hours ago, Phasteon said:

The best hitting power* you can get in vanilla KO is a unit of 20 Thunderers in an Ironclad with Ebullient. 

Those 42 Schots with reroll 1s to hit reroll wounds is pretty reliable -1 rend output. 

But its 1000 points without any support so better make those shots count!

*actually its 12 Barak Zon Skywardens, but good luck alphastriking them without getting striked first. Also retaliation will hurt. 

Edit: LOL, this happens when you think about something but just write half the story 😂

Haha was thinking about the best unit to garrison in KO. 

Also: I love Fyreslayers but I don‘t think Thrying is competitive. You basically get the worst out of 2 worlds (Fyreslayers allegiance is much stronger and you are losing out on too many points for the actual good KO stuff - I can barely fit everything I want in a 2k pure KO list... and 20 Thunderers is not part of it atm 😂

Haha well sorry for the brainfart 

Hold my beer..

Egg basket of death

Barak urbaz  

Loondrinmaster- grudgebearer

admiral

navigator-flarepistol

endrinmaster

endrinmaster

riggers x 3 

riggers x 3 

riggers x 3

ironclad- skyhook, ebullient 

thunderers x 20, cannons, decksweepers, rifles

Eggbasket comes down, navigator paints a target, thunderers pop aether gold to reroll wounds, ironclad charged using skyhook bonus, admiral increases endrinmasters attacks, gun butts and admirals swings +1 to hit, endrinriggers bubblewrap the ironclad.

get the doubleturn, win. 

Edited by Cauthon
This list is not iron sky command.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • LOVE IT! 1