AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

19 minutes ago, Ser_namron said:

has anyone painted KO with contrasts? Id love to see how they turned out, guides would be a bonus. Lots of metallics on the KO so im wondering if contrasts are the way to go. 

I have used a bit of contrasts, but an not too happy with it. They don't work for metals, and you can't prime them metallic as well. Certainly does work for the clothing though.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! First time, long time. 

I wanted to share this for discussing tactics and ideas with other players on what to expect playing for and against new KO. I'm probably higher on the army than a lot of other people, and I think something is there, so I wanted to share my experience and maybe trade thoughts on it. If you rather not read a dry report, go to very bottom for the TLDR and Analysis.

1000 pt match: KO (Barak-Urbaz) vs Ogors (Unknown Allegiance)
Realm - Aqshy
Realscape Feature - Boiling Geysers

General - Arkanaut Admiral (Command trait: War Wound, Artefact: Proclamator Mask Hailer)
Arkanaut Frigate (Breath of Morghrim)

10 Thunderers
3 Endrinriggers
1 Grundstok Gunhauler
10 Arkanaut Company

General - Slaughtermaster
Firebelly
4 cannon-shooty Ogors
4 cannon-shooty Ogors

9 basic Infantry Ogors

Endless Spell: Gnashing Jaws

Endless Spell: Burning Head
Mawpot Terrain

Battleplan: A homemade plan where each army sets up 8 inches off edge of the side of the board (4 x 4). Every round board territory becomes "on fire" and at the end of the round units in fire take d3 mortal wounds. Points are scored by being 12" from the center of the board (1 per round), Killing a model (1 per round), killing a unit (1 per dead unit).

Setup: KO sets up the Endrinriggers and Gunhauler in one corner of board, Company 8" off edge in the middle, and Frigate with Admiral and Thunderers garrisoned in other corner of baord. Barak Urbaz nets a second gold for Frigate and Admiral

Ogors set up in a line, 8" of edge, along their side of the board. Slaughtermaster and Firebelly off on the flank, Then shooters, then Infantry. Infantry are over Middle of the board.

Round 1:
Ogors lets KO go first. Frigate, Gunhauler, Admiral, Thunderers, and Endrinriggers teleport to 9" from Sluaghterbrute. Company moves 4" towards center of board. Thunderers spend gold to reroll hits and KO holds onto its command point. Endrinriggers, Gunhauler, and Frigate shoot into Slaightermaster and drop it. Thunderers shoot into Firebelly, leaving it at 1 wound left. Lots of 1s on to-wounds.
Ogors turn: Realmscape Geyser goes off, d3 wounds to Endrinriggers (1 wound), Gunhauler (3 wounds), and Frigate (1 wound). Firebelly stays at distance, fails to cast magic. Firebelly drinks mawpot to +1 wound. Shooty Ogors move, shoot (Command point to reroll 1s) and kill 1 endrinrigger and do 2 damage to frigate, Infantry Ogors move towards center of board. Firebelly can't charge due bad positioning and Shooty Ogors fail charge roll. End of Round 1 it's KO 2, Ogors 2. 6" all over board edge catch fire.

Round 2:
KO wins the roll and elects to go first. Geysers do not activate. War Wound goes off and KO has 3 command points. Frigate heals to full, Gunhauler heals 2. Thunderers disembark from Frigate. Frigate moves towards engaging Infantry Ogors. Endrinriggers moves to 3" from Firebelly. Gunhauler moves to 3" from Firebelly. Company moves 4" towards middle of the board. During Shooting Endrinriggers shoot Cannon Ogors, Gunhauler gets to reroll hits of 1 shooting thanks to mask and shoots at Cannon Ogors, Frigate and Thunderers shoot at Infantry Ogors, spending a gold to reroll failed hits, Admiral shoots at Infantry Ogors. Gunhauler and Endrinriggers charge Firebelly. Frigate and Admiral charge Infantry Ogors. Frigate does d3 wounds to infantry, General does 6 damage in combat, Gunhauler bombs kill firebelly. Cannon Ogors are w/i 3" of Endrinriggers and kill one Endrinrigger. Infantry Ogors do 6 damage to Frigate which spent a command point to reroll saves of 1. Endrinrigger with Saw kills last of 1 cannon Ogor unit. Infantry Ogors down to 4 models from 9. KO spends 1 command point this half for reroll hits of 1 in shooting for thunderers.

Ogor turn 2: Geyser goes off, hits Gunhauler for 3 damage. Second group of 4 cannon ogors moves towards last Endrinrigger. Endrinrigger is shot to death. Cannon Ogors charge Thunderers, killing one model on charge. Command point spent for thunderers to reroll saves of 1. Thunderers surprise in melee. By end of combat Cannon Ogors left at 1 model. By the Infantry, Admiral spends a command point for reroll hits of 1 for Admiral and Frigate, and spends a gold to reroll saves for the Admiral. Infantry Ogors eat Frigate, and Admiral escapes boat safely. Round ends, the score is Ko 7, Ogors 6 and move land disappears. Now 10" from edge is on fire.

Round 3: KO wins the roll again. Only gains 1 command point. Gunhauler moves to between Admiral and remaining Infantry Ogors. Thunderers shoot last Cannon Ogor. Gunhauler shoots Infantry and spends a gold to reroll failed hits during shooting. Gunhauler Charges infantry. Bomb Rack goes off. Gunhauler commits to Melee. Gunhauler gets Infantry down to 2 models. Infantry attacks gunhauler and kills it.

Ogors turn 3: Geyser goes off again, does 3 mortal wounds to Company. Two remaining Ogors charge Admiral who spends gold to reroll saves. Admiral survives. Admiral spends command point to reroll failed hits, smashes remaining ogors.

Final:: Ogors tabled, KO Loses Frigate, Gunhauler, 3 Endrinriggers, 1 Thunderer, 3 Arkanaut Company. KO wins on points.

TLDR Analysis: Sorry for the bare bones report, but my assessment was that I enjoyed the amount of command points I was spending to supplement the aethergold I could spend. Aether gold is, after all, 1 gold per phase so if you're spending it on save rerolls at best you get saves vs. enemy shooting, and saves vs. enemy combat, but then you can't spend it on your own attacks, hence the bonanza of Command points to get attack bonuses. The manueverability to appear and launch a salvo at an enemy general was major, and thunderers in a boat are well worth their cost to shoot off their rifles and other guns along with the broadsides of the boat. The battleplan wasn't big on hunting objectives, but fly high is such a key ability to ambus and neutralize a primary threat (Slaughtermaster general casting Endless spells). Basically I find with KO you NEED those gold and command points to keep pressure on opponents and (while not being a total alpha strike army) cripple the opponent's army/denying the key resources in the form of leaders. The gold is amazing but its 1 gold per phase limitation makes command supplementation a must. I found though that being Barak-Urbaz for the D3 extra gold wasn't that worth it. What was worth it was the ability to choose my own command trait as an Admiral-general, and choose my own hero's Artefact.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I have used a bit of contrasts, but an not too happy with it. They don't work for metals, and you can't prime them metallic as well. Certainly does work for the clothing though.

Ya i painted a thunderer last night with mainly contrasts and it just looked kinda meh. But i just primed my whole army in the grey seer contrast primer lol.  I really wanted to go for an arctic theme and some of the blues would look nice in the contrast lines. 

1 minute ago, Ser_namron said:

Ya i painted a thunderer last night with mainly contrasts and it just looked kinda meh. But i just primed my whole army in the grey seer contrast primer lol.  I really wanted to go for an arctic theme and some of the blues would look nice in the contrast lines. 

Overall my mates really dig contrast paints. I've used them a few times and haven't been too happy with them myself. That being said, I haven't used contrast with KO, but I've experimented using a basecoat of runefang steel (very light metallic silver) as my base and then going over with contrast. Its a good way to get a colored metallic look. If you do some  google searching you can find a handful of tutorials to see what that looks like. I've heard a gold base with contrast red works well too.

~Happy hobbying

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ser_namron said:

There are blued metal paints, at least from Vallejo.

I was set on doing a green and purple, but the green does not really work. I will now change it to a deep bronze and purple (instead of the green), for complementary colours, but maybe I'll try to mix a nice green metal myself, by combining the blued metal and gold. Still unsure, but interested to see where it goes.

1 hour ago, Ser_namron said:

has anyone painted KO with contrasts? Id love to see how they turned out, guides would be a bonus. Lots of metallics on the KO so im wondering if contrasts are the way to go. 

This here is an endrinmaster I've been working on - all the reds  (And the blue!) are contrast :) Hope this helps!

Spoiler

IMG_0226.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

For Barak Zilfin Amendment- Dont argue with the wind- Does this still count as a run?

I also had this question! At a glance it looks like that rule is worded funny, but it actually aligns with how the running rule is phrased in the core rulebook. So my interpretation is, yes, you are still running. You just treat it like you rolled a 6 for your run roll.

~Happy gaming

• Like 1

Just now, Ser_namron said:

Ohh very nice, the red still has that metallic look.  What'd you use for the red parts besides contrast?

That's about all! The odd bit of stormhost here and there to pick out a couple of the rivets. The main thing is - this is contrast red (flesh tearers red to be precise) applied over Retributor Gold, not over wraithbone/grey seer. It keeps that metallic look if you do it that way!

1 minute ago, Maglynn said:

That's about all! The odd bit of stormhost here and there to pick out a couple of the rivets. The main thing is - this is contrast red (flesh tearers red to be precise) applied over Retributor Gold, not over wraithbone/grey seer. It keeps that metallic look if you do it that way!

Ooof, wish i didnt prime my whole army in grey seer last night haha. 

Ooof, wish i didnt prime my whole army in grey seer last night haha. 

Live and learn! To be fair, you can probably make do by painting the armour plants in retributor gold - definitely use thin coats for a smooth surface. But I based that entire model with retributor spray, and then promptly painted over about 70% of it :')

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ser_namron said:

Contrast jobs almost always look meh unless you take some Layer paints and touch it up in the usual fashion. 

Personally I only use them for fur, baggy clothing and glazes, because if I use them for anything else I spent as much time trying to fix tide marks that I might as well have basecoated/washed/basecoated. 

• Like 2

I'm going to do my Thunderers in chaos black and go for the ghost-hunter theme that's mentioned in the book.  Going to highlight the blacks with blues.  I saw someone use Thunderhawk Blue to highlight black and it looked great.  Can't remember the other colors though, so I need to do some testing.

• Like 1

Trying out a monochrome silver look for endrinriggers. Usualy my colors are Iron Warriors silver armor and green overalls. Endrinriggers being outfitted in SO MUCH METAL meant if I wanted to stick to "silver" I needed various shades to make it work. Luckily theres Iron Warriors, Iron Breaker, and Grey Knights Steel so give some variety. This is what that attempt came out to be:

silverdwarf.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, crkhobbit said:

I'm going to do my Thunderers in chaos black and go for the ghost-hunter theme that's mentioned in the book.  Going to highlight the blacks with blues.  I saw someone use Thunderhawk Blue to highlight black and it looked great.  Can't remember the other colors though, so I need to do some testing.

Dark Reaper and Fenrisian Grey is a good two-step to go for. 

• Like 1