AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 hours ago, Phasteon said:

Also no forced artifact, though the forced Endrinwork is a downer (though Breath of Morgrim can be awesome against hordes with some hot dice... but yeah its not that great of a choice) 

You can mitigate the forced endrinworks by taking a battalion, notably the Aether War's 'Intrepid Prospectors' for 110 points . Think about it, 110 points for a CP, an endrinwork and an artefact of power. 

The battalion is 1 dirigible suit, 1 unit of 3 skywardens, 1 unit of 3 endrinriggers, 1 gunhauler. 

Edited by Qaz

Thinking of trying out the following:

10 man thunder and 10 arks go in the frigates, khemist and nav in the gunhauler. 20 man block holds an objective and the khemist joins it later on. Riggers repair ships with dribble.

image.png

I am also going to try the clown car list, since that looks very strong for an alpha strike.

Edited by PUFNSTUF

2 hours ago, Qaz said:

You can mitigate the forced endrinworks by taking a battalion, notably the Aether War's 'Intrepid Prospectors' for 110 points . Think about it, 110 points for a CP, an endrinwork and an artefact of power. 

The battalion is 1 dirigible suit, 1 unit of 3 skywardens, 1 unit of 3 endrinriggers, 1 gunhauler. 

Obviously you can but imo its very important to pick one endrinwork from the Ironclad list, so you HAVE to play a battalion which you might dont want to. 

Thats why I made the point. 

I for example would have another 290 points left if I didnt need another Endrinwork. 

Would probably(or maybe)  go for 6 Riggers and 10 Arkanauts (3rd battleline) instead of the second Gunhauler and the battalion. 

Edit: Which makes the artifact comparison a moot point as you need to compensate for it anyway 🤔

Still Urbaz wins in this department because you can choose a command trait and a CP on 2+ for the Admiral is a very good one. 

Edited by Phasteon

If you don't want gunhauler battleline I think Urbaz is not better than no spatioport: you can take the D3 gold and keep the flexibility on artycle (reroll 1 to hit on one unit for all the army is really strong), footnote (the 3 are great too) and all the other things like khemist as general for two artefacts or no endrinwork taxe. As you said we don't need all the moral buff and the flexibility of generic is better than urbaz'one gold after a melee fight.

(sry for my english)

• Like 1

I've had a couple games and am enjoying the new flexibility and how boats work.  It makes boats much more useful!  However, one disappointment was that frigates can only carry 10 models without losing Fly High and halving movement.  As our only units which can ride in the boat come in blocks of 5 (Grunstock Thunderers) or 10 (Arkanauts), you can't really take a hero model with a unit of 10 models to support/buff them without losing Fly High.  It would have been nice if they made the cap 11  models for the Frigate, because at least the Ironclad can take 16 before losing Fly High.

Edited by FractalRain
  • Like 2

So, I have started designs for terrain. Originally, I was toying with putting a housing unit in a steam beer can with medicine pots for doors and windows, but I do find it cheating. Like my halfling Arkanaut based on the Black Gobbo, I like taking something that GW never designed for this, and using that in a way GW never intended me to do. Limiting myself to GW stuff is just a way for me to make it interesting for my creativity.

Now I am thinking of using (not puncturing) an empty Citadel rattlecan, and make gunports out of Citadel paint pot lids, some tubing on the side will be just wire, but I'll allow myself that. There'll be a port for a cannon (I have a few spare Empire cannons) on the bottom, and a few gun ports on the sides. It'll be chained with the chains of AoS marker terrain (unsure what the name of that was at the moment)

I may make this a defeated defensive station so I can use it as terrain (It would not really be balanced to have a functioning one on the field).

I now have a use of GW lids that I never imagined.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Marthen said:

What are people’s thoughts on how to equip riggers?

Taking a special ranged weapon doesn’t hinder our repair abilities so I’d max out the volley gun and drill cannon/skyhooks. 

If you wanted a melle unit go skywardens. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

So, I have started designs for terrain. Originally, I was toying with putting a housing unit in a steam beer can with medicine pots for doors and windows, but I do find it cheating. Like my halfling Arkanaut based on the Black Gobbo, I like taking something that GW never designed for this, and using that in a way GW never intended me to do. Limiting myself to GW stuff is just a way for me to make it interesting for my creativity.

Now I am thinking of using (not puncturing) an empty Citadel rattlecan, and make gunports out of Citadel paint pot lids, some tubing on the side will be just wire, but I'll allow myself that. There'll be a port for a cannon (I have a few spare Empire cannons) on the bottom, and a few gun ports on the sides. It'll be chained with the chains of AoS marker terrain (unsure what the name of that was at the moment)

I may make this a defeated defensive station so I can use it as terrain (It would not really be balanced to have a functioning one on the field).

I now have a use of GW lids that I never imagined.

Awesome idea - I hope you share it!  As an aside, I have seen brass/copper looking toilet floats in hardware stores - which would work really well as an endrin!

35 minutes ago, FractalRain said:

I've had a couple games and am enjoying the new flexibility and how boats work.  It makes boats much more useful!  However, one disappointment was that frigates can only carry 10 models without losing Fly High and halving movement.  As our only units which can ride in the boat come in blocks of 5 (Grunstock Thunderers) or 10 (Arkanauts), you can't really take a hero model with a unit of 10 models to support/buff them without losing Fly High.  It would have been nice if they made the cap 11  models for the Frigate, because at least the Ironclad can take 16 before losing Fly High.

Thats the whole design idea behind the book though. 

You get mobility advantages by the ships but your troops are stronger on the ground. 

You shall decide between hero support and movement. 

I enjoy the design of the tome so much because it makes you think about whats the best way to go. 

Most other army are pretty self explaining in that regard. (Which can also be much fun but I enjoy being forced to make „uneasy“ decisions) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FractalRain said:

Awesome idea - I hope you share it!  As an aside, I have seen brass/copper looking toilet floats in hardware stores - which would work really well as an endrin!

I have made a bit of a design, but I redesigned it halfway through, and want to make it coherent again. I'll upload two versions tonight.

Can you pay for 10 models and only put 9 in the boat so a hero can fit?

I know the rule is if you ever finish a move action and any models are more then 1" away, they die. Can you do the same thing for this?

If so I'm going to do it  even if it is a waste of some points. Seems worth it. 

9 minutes ago, Stormrage89 said:

I know the rule is if you ever finish a move action and any models are more then 1" away, they die. Can you do the same thing for this?

afaik you can play understrength units but I‘d highly recommend not to, because you get no Aethergold for units under 10. 

11 minutes ago, Stormrage89 said:

Also, I don't know how this applies but, since arkanauts special weapons  are 1 in 10 models etc, etc. If you purposefully only bring in 9 are you barring yourself out of some special weapons? I recognize that this is a slightly different situation but, for example, Ogor gluttons are barred from taking banner bearers when in units of 3 (as they require 1 in 6 models to field bannermen).

I do not know the answer to these questions, but food for thought to avoid confrontations from your zealous, RAW friends.

5 minutes ago, PensivePanther said:

Also, I don't know how this applies but, since arkanauts special weapons  are 1 in 10 models etc, etc. If you purposefully only bring in 9 are you barring yourself out of some special weapons? I recognize that this is a slightly different situation but, for example, Ogor gluttons are barred from taking banner bearers when in units of 3 (as they require 1 in 6 models to field bannermen).

I do not know the answer to these questions, but food for thought to avoid confrontations from your zealous, RAW friends.

Bring 10, lose cohesion the first chance you get, enter ship.

Far from ideal.

2 hours ago, Kurkulem said:

If you don't want gunhauler battleline I think Urbaz is not better than no spatioport: you can take the D3 gold and keep the flexibility on artycle (reroll 1 to hit on one unit for all the army is really strong), footnote (the 3 are great too) and all the other things like khemist as general for two artefacts or no endrinwork taxe. As you said we don't need all the moral buff and the flexibility of generic is better than urbaz'one gold after a melee fight.

(sry for my english)

no worries. perfectly understandable. And good point. 

5 minutes ago, PensivePanther said:

Also, I don't know how this applies but, since arkanauts special weapons  are 1 in 10 models etc, etc. If you purposefully only bring in 9 are you barring yourself out of some special wea

yes there is a designers commentary wehere they specify that in cases of 1 in X amount of models. You do need the . X amount of models. 

@Stormrage89 as to your question: yes you can. But remember the above answer applies. I'll look up the source for it tonight. 

3 minutes ago, stus67 said:

I was even toying with the idea of having a gunhauler with collapsible compartments just to haul characters around in.

Me too. 

Ive been entertaining the idea of 2 endrinmasters, an admiral and a navigator rolling around smacking ppl out of a gunhauler. 

Havnt worked it into a list yet. 

Don’t think anyone would expect it when you showed them your list before deployment. Think you could knock out say a dragon?

7 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Can I skyhook 7 balloon guys on a ship full of infantry guys? That gives even more value to ballooned HQ because they can skyhigh with a ship already full of arka or thunderers....

Hitching doesn't count towards the garrison so yeah.