AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

So... I have played 2 games today. 

1 Against SCE (I won 12-5)

2 Against Slaanesh with Archaon (I was tabled, but only because of my mistakes)

First game

Scorched earth

Long story short. My opponent use 6 birds and 2 squads of liberator as a screen for big shooty unit and heroes.

On turn one I kill all birds and 1 unit of liberators so my opponent can't destroy my points. Stormcasts shoots 2 times in my Ironclad and fail 6 towound rolls from 6 (3+ with reroll 1s, lol)

SCE gets double turn and kills my Ironclad and some thunderers (alot of them actually) In return I was able to kill 1 more squad of liberators, knight azyros, 2 more guys and burn 2 of his objective markers (plus scoring all of mine)

On turn three SC failed to charge my gunhaulers and we call it a game because even if he will table me he can't get the same amount of points. 

Second game 

I made 2 mistakes that cost me a game

1) I decide to attack flying Keeper instead of Archaon

2) I disembark thunderers and think that you can't embark them if there's enemy models within 3 inches of the ship. 

My thunderers doesn't do anything for 2 rounds and Archaon tables me) But after the game I can bet that I could kill Archaon and 1 keeper on the right flank.

Right now I feel like 20 thunderers with full tohit and towound rerolls can easily kill any 1 model unit on turn 1 and our movement abilities could be very frustrating for your opponent.

20200110_115339.jpg

20200110_123042.jpg

20200110_144945.jpg

20200110_152648.jpg

20200110_152657.jpg

1sbp6lZGijo.jpg

DJjlTvh3mH0.jpg

4NLvZublR-E.jpg

iyMT7Ovyxh0.jpg

uX1zx8zQA_0.jpg

70DPwBYXTys.jpg

GvVncEOyU3Q.jpg

JO5hVo7AzJU.jpg

ko__Ek6book.jpg

Edited by cofaxest
  • Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 1

FYI, I saw a store copy of Aether War and it has lots of cool lore added, as well as some aerial battle rules.  Additionally, it has Warscroll Battalions for the KO and Tzeentch models in the box!  I suppose other box sets did too, but I hadn't seen them before.  Looks like the battalion costs 110 points.    The KO battalion is Intrepid Prospectors: 

1 Endrinmaster with Dirigible Suit

1 unit of 3 Endrinriggers

1 unit of 3 Skywardens

1 Grundstok Gunhauler

Battalion ability is after all armies have been set up, but before the first battle round begins, you can move friendly units from this battalion up to 6".  

Nothing too powerful, but a cool bonus!

Edited by FractalRain
updated battalion cost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Anyone got any ideas about decking as a base for foot minis? Green stuff or real wood?

Saw someone that snipped tie rips. Looked pretty good. 
And someone who sided a part of a watchtower kit on a slab of green stuff and just pressed planks. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

2 Against Slaanesh with Archaon (I was tabled, but only because of my mistakes

Thought it was going to be all bad ;) 

joking of course. But congrats on the games. Against pretty cheesy lists good results.

how did the gunhaulers fare? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cofaxest said:

Right now I feel like 20 thunderers with full tohit and towound rerolls can easily kill any 1 model unit on turn 1 and our movement abilities could be very frustrating for your opponent.

How can you have both to hit and to wound rerolls in the same turn?

Beautifully painted miniatures by the way. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ointagru said:

How can you have both to hit and to wound rerolls in the same turn?

Beautifully painted miniatures by the way. 

Navigator could take one use pistol. If you hit enemy unit with it your troops reroll tohit rolls if they attack that unit.

Edited by cofaxest
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, King Under the Mountain said:

Has anyone here painted their ships with a Barak Zilfin color scheme?  Just curious on what Citidal paints you would recommend for the greenish window ports.  Need to go out tmr to buy some new paints and would love some help.

Green gemstone paint over a bright silver.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Thought it was going to be all bad ;) 

joking of course. But congrats on the games. Against pretty cheesy lists good results.

how did the gunhaulers fare? 

Maybe my gunhaulers was broken but with drill I deal 5-6 wounds each round. 3 mw on 5+ tohit and rend -3 is very dangerous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Saw someone that snipped tie rips. Looked pretty good. 
And someone who sided a part of a watchtower kit on a slab of green stuff and just pressed planks. 

Ace, ty. Have also found a roller on GreenStuffWorld so will have a think. Might have to go standard desert bases for balloon boys and ships though, lacking ideas on that front. 

So this might be a though question without playtesting, but what are the strategic diffrences of skywardens and endrinriggers. I thought about using some in my tempest eye list and maybe build a Barak Thryng army later down the line.

I want to use them as fast units to grab objectives and do some damage on the flanks and maybe some hero sniping (be it melee or range). I really like the new grapling launcher so you can now tie up key units.

At first glance the skywardens seem stronger since they have two melee attacks and 2" range.

My conclusion is if I want a more shooty squad i should go with the endrinriggers due to their 1" range and the skywardens are more melee focused since I can get more of them in range with their 2" range.

With the tempest eye spell for extra attacks this might be diffrent though.(would be hard to keep a mage in range)

I havent used them before so I dont know how good they fit or their melee and ranged capabilities compare.

3 hours ago, cofaxest said:

So... I have played 2 games today. 

2 Against Slaanesh with Archaon (I was tabled, but only because of my mistakes)

First game

Scorched earth

Long story short. My opponent use 6 birds and 2 squads of liberator as a screen for big shooty unit and heroes.

On turn one I kill all birds and 1 unit of liberators so my opponent can't destroy my points. Stormcasts shoots 2 times in my Ironclad and fail 6 towound rolls from 6 (3+ with reroll 1s, lol)

SCE gets double turn and kills my Ironclad and some thunderers (alot of them actually) In return I was able to kill 1 more squad of liberators, knight azyros, 2 more guys and burn 2 of his objective markers (plus scoring all of mine)

On turn three SC failed to charge my gunhaulers and we call it a game because even if he will table me he can't get the same amount of points. 

Second game 

I made 2 mistakes that cost me a game

1) I decide to attack flying Keeper instead of Archaon

2) I disembark thunderers and think that you can't embark them if there's enemy models within 3 inches of the ship. 

My thunderers doesn't do anything for 2 rounds and Archaon tables me) But after the game I can bet that I could kill Archaon and 1 keeper on the right flank.

20200110_115339.jpg

20200110_123042.jpg

20200110_144945.jpg

20200110_152648.jpg

20200110_152657.jpg

1sbp6lZGijo.jpg

DJjlTvh3mH0.jpg

4NLvZublR-E.jpg

iyMT7Ovyxh0.jpg

uX1zx8zQA_0.jpg

70DPwBYXTys.jpg

GvVncEOyU3Q.jpg

JO5hVo7AzJU.jpg

ko__Ek6book.jpg

how do you find the flight stands from magnet baron? is that the 1.5" one for the ironclad?

17 minutes ago, AlmGandix3 said:

So this might be a though question without playtesting, but what are the strategic diffrences of skywardens and endrinriggers. I thought about using some in my tempest eye list and maybe build a Barak Thryng army later down the line.

I want to use them as fast units to grab objectives and do some damage on the flanks and maybe some hero sniping (be it melee or range). I really like the new grapling launcher so you can now tie up key units.

At first glance the skywardens seem stronger since they have two melee attacks and 2" range.

My conclusion is if I want a more shooty squad i should go with the endrinriggers due to their 1" range and the skywardens are more melee focused since I can get more of them in range with their 2" range.

With the tempest eye spell for extra attacks this might be diffrent though.(would be hard to keep a mage in range)

I havent used them before so I dont know how good they fit or their melee and ranged capabilities compare.

Imo you want to keep Endrinriggers close to your Ironclad to heal it up and shoot with Volleyguns and Skyhook/Grapnel/Drill Cannons while doing so. 

Skywardens on the other hand are our best close combat unit now that they have the most attacks. Buff them up with a Khemist, take Barak Zon or a Triumph to reroll hits on the decisive charge and wreck whats in your path. Worked before if you were lucky, works perfectly now that you can chose your reroll/ improve hit/wound. 

3 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Ace, ty. Have also found a roller on GreenStuffWorld so will have a think. Might have to go standard desert bases for balloon boys and ships though, lacking ideas on that front. 

Could I suggest, because I thought it was cool but not doing it:

image.png.cea91294b4b0f91af8fecda58b775de9.png

image.png.ca0e867f72beb866ef9ed07461613b44.png

sand monsters beneath the ships 😍 #bringbackscarlacc

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Neffelo said:

Unfortunately, with these box sets they do not. They are always a limited print run. 

40 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

In GW’s slight defence re: Aether War, it lasted a lot longer than the OBR vs. Ogors box. A week’s warning plus almost a week on general sale should be enough time for interested parties to scrape the pennies together. 

Ah dammit, I slept on it too long. Anyone interested in selling me the new endrinmaster?