AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Question, is there any trick or endless spell that can get our Thunderers into 3" before the shooting phase?

I can't find one. And playing thunderers to take the punch on the chin seems counter intuitive. (although I'm going to try it though. 2 wounds, 4+ save re-roll all saves, -1 to hit from the fumigators, -1 to hit from the Khemist)

I don't have the rules in front if me right now. But I seem to remember a rule somewhere that you let you charge in the hero phase.  I think I dismissed because I couldn't think of a reason for it.  But this would be a good reason for it! Hope I'm not misremembering.

@plavski feel like I should have thought of it myself 😅 thanks. 

14 minutes ago, crkhobbit said:

I don't have the rules in front if me right now. But I seem to remember a rule somewhere that you let you charge in the hero phase.  I think I dismissed because I couldn't think of a reason for it.  But this would be a good reason for it! Hope I'm not misremembering.

would still be tricky to pull off but let me know if you find it! 

24 minutes ago, GDD said:

Alchemical Chain - Malign Sorcery

It's an artifact from Chamon

Good call. There's also the Verdant Mantle from Ghyran which lets you unbind an Endless Spell.

But if you're gonna give your Khemist an artefact, not having it be the Spell in a Bottle has got to be a warcrime.

Edited by plavski
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, plavski said:

Good call. There's also the Verdant Mantle from Ghyran which lets you unbind an Endless Spell.

But if you're gonna give your Khemist an artefact, not having it be the Spell in a Bottle has got to be a warcrime.

Speaking of Spell in a Bottle, any recommendations for which Endless Spells to use? 

My contenders are:

- Soulscream Bridge: extra movement shenanigans

- Mighty shroom: it's like a mini nuke that can also kill you

- Scuttletide: can drop in turn 1 but easily dispelled. Also cheap

- Everblaze Comet: can drop in turn 1 for maximum damage.

- Warp Lightning Vortex: Good reliable board control spell, also hard to dispell normally 

- Slaneesh mirror thingy: hero sniper??

- Wildfire Taurus: Khemist will often be quite close to combat so the Taurus can do a great deal of damage

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GDD said:

Alchemical Chain - Malign Sorcery

It's an artifact from Chamon

Thank you! 

2 hours ago, plavski said:

Thank you! I’m gonna wait with getting new endless spells until the FAQ hits. So in the meantime I was considering different ways to get dispels in besides the navigator. Which is brilliant for that role to be fair. 

2 hours ago, crkhobbit said:

I think I may just be misremembering the Zilfin once per game hero phase move.

Haha nope that ain’t gonna work. You can get close that way but not get out within 3”. 

13 minutes ago, PensivePanther said:

Do I understand correctly that the Endrinmaster on foot cannot use his "Endrinmaster" ability or his command trait while garrisoned in a ship? He must be deployed outside the ship to use either of those? Thanks!

Why do you think that? If you look at the rules for garrison it doesn’t limit using abilities. The endrinmaster is still on the table. You just use the base of the garrison as his location. That our garrisons fly is irrelevant. And his warscroll doesn’t limit it either. (Like the khemist ability does for example) 

could be wrong of course but if so I don’t see the limitation :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

Question, is there any trick or endless spell that can get our Thunderers into 3" before the shooting phase?

I can't find one. And playing thunderers to take the punch on the chin seems counter intuitive. (although I'm going to try it though. 2 wounds, 4+ save re-roll all saves, -1 to hit from the fumigators, -1 to hit from the Khemist)

Just remember those -1 to hits are for enemy MODELS within 3" of the model equipped with the fumigator and 3" of the Khemist. Really limits the Khemist in terms of protecting them and both abilities make for fiddly combat phases.

13 minutes ago, Kramer said:

29 minutes ago, PensivePanther said:

Do I understand correctly that the Endrinmaster on foot cannot use his "Endrinmaster" ability or his command trait while garrisoned in a ship? He must be deployed outside the ship to use either of those? Thanks!

Why do you think that? If you look at the rules for garrison it doesn’t limit using abilities. The endrinmaster is still on the table. You just use the base of the garrison as his location. That our garrisons fly is irrelevant. And his warscroll doesn’t limit it either. (Like the khemist ability does for example) 

could be wrong of course but if so I don’t see the limitation :) 

I guess my confusion is do garrisoned units count as being on the table? Or do I get to treat whatever boat he's in as him for determining the range of his abilities. I think my confusion is spawning from some differences between how this works in AoS and 40k. Thanks!

Edit: Read the garrison rules closer. I think I agree with you. Thanks @Kramer.

Edited by PensivePanther

16 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Thank you! 

Thank you! I’m gonna wait with getting new endless spells until the FAQ hits. So in the meantime I was considering different ways to get dispels in besides the navigator. Which is brilliant for that role to be fair. 

Don't worry about the FAQ - Ben Johnson confirmed it - use any Endless spell you want, all casting restrictions are moot. The effects will still have restrictions (Sylvaneth spells only healing Sylvaneth etc.), but the casting box is effectively blank.

I'm partial to the OBR spells for their soul-bind ability. You don't get the negative of the -1 to cast and your opponent can't move them. Soulstealer Carrion looks quite nice depending on your meta. Lets you play a little more aggressive with your Khemist too as you get all the healing.

Edited by plavski

5 minutes ago, PensivePanther said:

I guess my confusion is do garrisoned units count as being on the table? Or do I get to treat whatever boat he's in as him for determining the range of his abilities. I think my confusion is spawning from some differences between how this works in AoS and 40k. Thanks!

Garrisoned models are on the table for the effects of everything that they are specifically not called out for. Like you can't get the extra attack bonus for Thunderers, or add their numbers to objectives, but you can do everything else - like get shot!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forrix said:

Just remember those -1 to hits are for enemy MODELS within 3" of the model equipped with the fumigator and 3" of the Khemist. Really limits the Khemist in terms of protecting them and both abilities make for fiddly combat phases.

Having played netters (who have a smaller range but are with more) I’m fine with that. It makes a big difference. 😁

14 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I'm hesitating: brokk or the new endrig withe suit? those are 2 nice guys...

Why not both ;) 

8 minutes ago, PensivePanther said:

Edit: Read the garrison rules closer. I think I agree with you. Thanks @Kramer.

No worries. The only reason I played garrison rules before is because I love the city fighting rules 😂 

4 minutes ago, plavski said:
21 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Don't worry about the FAQ - Ben Johnson confirmed it

good news! But still waiting ;) 

10 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Just to clarify/check this is specific To garrisoned ships right?  Because I’m pretty sure that you can claim objectives if you garrison terrain. 

Right, if there's an objective market in a house, you can put your dudes in the house to guard it and they'll count as holding it with all the benefits of the garrison. Ships just have a specific rule that says this doesn't work and you have to get out to hold it. You still count as being one model on the objective tho so you can still hold it with a ship, just not with 25 dudes inside an ironclad :)

1 minute ago, plavski said:

Right, if there's an objective market in a house, you can put your dudes in the house to guard it and they'll count as holding it with all the benefits of the garrison. Ships just have a specific rule that says this doesn't work and you have to get out to hold it. You still count as being one model on the objective tho so you can still hold it with a ship, just not with 25 dudes inside an ironclad :)

Thanks. I suddenly started doubting myself 😂 

Gotta say, after a couple years it's nice to have a workable KO battletome in my hands! Still a vague sense of disappointment that they didn't update their painting guide from the old version. Can't have everything I suppose, and contrasts don't really have much place in a KO army.

6 hours ago, Dew said:

I've yet to see any recent chat about list building for a small 1000point KO force.

I ordered the new box set as a side project to explore new paint schemes and styles and to play around with as well. I'm curious what the recommendations are to add to it for a nice 1000 point list. I'm looking at possibly a balloon boys/gunhauler list?

I've got a 1K 3 game tournament coming up next weekend. Been thinking about the list for a little:

• Barak Zon
  • Admiral (+2 attack artifact)
  • Gunhauler
  • 2x10 Arkanauts
  • 2x6 Skywardens (one unit w/ 1 skyhook and the rest built for combat)
  • 3 Endrinriggers (built for shooting)

Arkanauts screen in deployment, and then camp objectives. Admiral goes in the Gunhauler, which flies around shooting shrapnel, until there is an opening to use the 6" move bonus to charge into support characters or take on unsupported units and then fly away on the following turn. Either the Endrinriggers or a unit of Wardens goes with it. Wardens look for opportunistic charges.

Feels like I'm a little light on shooting, since it's just the Gunhauler & Endrinriggers with any range, but you can't have it all at 1K points.

• Like 1

Was looking through all of the faction specific endless spells and I think that if you really want that spell in a bottle then the Taurus would be one of the best spells to use, along with the WLV. Making enemy units fight last will give our balloon boys more of a chance to get their damage in melee if you run smaller 3/6 man units.

WLV is just an amazing board control spell.

Honorable mention is the Mesmerizing Mirror and the Everblaze Comet. The mirror is great for killing low wound characters, and the comet is the comet.