AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

13 minutes ago, crkhobbit said:

You can.

For every 5 guys in the unit, you can take one each of the special weapons.

20 divided by 5 is 4.  You have 4 sets of 5 guys in a unit of 20.  So you can have up to 4 fumigators, up to 4 decksweepers, up to 4 aethercannons, and up to 4 mortars in a unit of 20.  The rest will have rifles.

ok thanks!

i think the best way to equip for 20 guys is:

4 canons, 1 mortar, 1 sweeper ( for +1 hit with canons)

1 fumigator ( for -1hit in close)

13 riffles

What do you think ?

14 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

That is really unfortunate! I wanted him to follow the balloon guys, hitched to a gunhauler...

Gunhaulers can take an artefact that lets them carry five people so you can stuff him and his mates in there.

Also note that Thundrik has to be taken with his buddies, but they don't have to stick together. He can live the good life in the offworld colonies while his chums take up guard duty. They lose some perks for being far away from him, but they can survive fine on their own.

• Like 1

Not giving Drakkskewer hitcher makes sense. He couldn't hitch on his own without breaking coherency so it would mean loads of extra rules to handle it. He already has the annoying "has 2 wounds and can fly" extra rule, so more would just be confusing.

15 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

ok thanks!

13 riffles

What do you think ?

It seems like Mortars and Sweepers tend to do more damage than the Rifles on average, so if you can reliably deal with the shorter range you should use the special weapons instead.

28 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

ok thanks!

13 riffles

What do you think ?

4 canons, 1 mortar, 4 sweepers, 1 fumigator. 4 mortars if you know that you can survive long enough to use +1 attack bonus.

Edited by cofaxest
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PJetski said:

It seems like Mortars and Sweepers tend to do more damage than the Rifles on average, so if you can reliably deal with the shorter range you should use the special weapons instead.

Mortar vs Rifle are dead even on damage versus a 4+ save.  Rifle is better against 2+/3+ saves, and mortar is better against 5+/6+.

Rifle has better range.  But if you're shooting something within 3", then the mortar wins.  If you're garrisoned, the mortar loses the +1 to hit, so the Rifle wins.

So I guess it depends on what you're planning to do.  If you're going to be on foot the whole game, a case can be made for the mortar, but I think it's still a toss-up.  If you're going to be garrisoned the whole game, the rifle is better, but maybe still take one mortar just in case you get out.

If you're planning to start garrisoned and then get out, you want at least one mortar.

IMO, it's close enough that you probably can't go wrong.  But the rifle looks like it's better in more situations due to the extra range, so I think I lean towards it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, plavski said:

Gunhaulers can take an artefact that lets them carry five people so you can stuff him and his mates in there.

Also note that Thundrik has to be taken with his buddies, but they don't have to stick together. He can live the good life in the offworld colonies while his chums take up guard duty. They lose some perks for being far away from him, but they can survive fine on their own.

So, I have to put them all in the list to be valid? What is the point cost?

21 minutes ago, crkhobbit said:

Pretty sure Thundrik isn't the one with the balloon anyway.  It's one of the other guys.  And since it's only one of them, the unit didn't get hitcher.

Even worse 😞  You're right.  The movment (warscroll) and the picture tell for themselves. So, at the end, I think that I'll pass...for now.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//aos-warscroll-Bjorgen-Thundrik-en.pdf

5 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

So, I have to put them all in the list to be valid? What is the point cost?

140 points and yes, they all have to go together. I'm looking forward to trying them as I think they're quite strong.

Edited by plavski
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, crkhobbit said:

Mortar vs Rifle are dead even on damage versus a 4+ save.  Rifle is better against 2+/3+ saves, and mortar is better against 5+/6+.

Rifle has better range.  But if you're shooting something within 3", then the mortar wins.  If you're garrisoned, the mortar loses the +1 to hit, so the Rifle wins.

So I guess it depends on what you're planning to do.  If you're going to be on foot the whole game, a case can be made for the mortar, but I think it's still a toss-up.  If you're going to be garrisoned the whole game, the rifle is better, but maybe still take one mortar just in case you get out.

If you're planning to start garrisoned and then get out, you want at least one mortar.

IMO, it's close enough that you probably can't go wrong.  But the rifle looks like it's better in more situations due to the extra range, so I think I lean towards it.

The Mortar can spike higher, and most of the game is 4+ or worse saves, so that puts the mortar ahead of the rifles for me.

Also worth noting that a Mortar is the optimal choice for a squad of 5, and I reckon most people will just combine multiple 5man squads together rather than building their models with 20man efficiency in mind.

Another question is whether or not Fumigators are worth running. It's only enemy models within 3" of the Fumigator, not enemy units, so you're not guaranteed to catch everything in that small aura. It keeps peak efficiency even while garrisoned, but the 9" shooting range on the Fumigator means you can't use it after Flying High, so is the loss of shots in those scenarios worth it? I think this one will definitely be answered only through playtesting.

I think when you stack the Fumigator with other hit debuffs (like Geminids from Spell in a Bottle) then it definitely starts to really become worthwhile.

2 minutes ago, Namelessone81 said:

My fellow admirals I want to paint my army in the colors of “Barak Urbaz” ! 
I don’t know the colors cause I don’t have the book yet so if anyone painted them before in this scheme plz tell me :) 

thnx 

The "how to paint barak-urbaz" section in the old battletome uses screamer pink as a base color for the overall. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

I‘d argue for 2 fumigators & 2 mortars. There is enough model snipe to varant at least two of each.

Plus the fumigator targets enemy models not units with the -1 to hit so you need a few in a big unit. Plus it also has very good damage output just 9” range. 

I feel for a big 20 blob that your planning to be an anvil saving gold shares for when they’re charged on re roll saves I might max all the specials as they get a lot more from the +1 attack rule in your next turn (or just 1-2 mortar perhaps as it’s the weakest). 

Again to credit GW this time around the design of the thunderers means no particular setup screams it’s the best. Instead it depends on unit role and army composition (which is how it should be). 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PJetski said:

The Mortar can spike higher, and most of the game is 4+ or worse saves, so that puts the mortar ahead of the rifles for me.

Also worth noting that a Mortar is the optimal choice for a squad of 5, and I reckon most people will just combine multiple 5man squads together rather than building their models with 20man efficiency in mind.

Another question is whether or not Fumigators are worth running. It's only enemy models within 3" of the Fumigator, not enemy units, so you're not guaranteed to catch everything in that small aura. It keeps peak efficiency even while garrisoned, but the 9" shooting range on the Fumigator means you can't use it after Flying High, so is the loss of shots in those scenarios worth it? I think this one will definitely be answered only through playtesting.

I think when you stack the Fumigator with other hit debuffs (like Geminids from Spell in a Bottle) then it definitely starts to really become worthwhile.

I plan to test stacking fumigator with Khemist in a unit of 10.  Might also test geminids, but probably will end up too close range to be comfortable.  Considering lifeswarm as well.

4 minutes ago, crkhobbit said:

To clarify though, you can't use the Fumigators -1hit while the unit is garrisoned (I checked since I got excited for a second).

Now that I'm officially a balloon dwarf admiral but also a bad painter with a patience tending to zéro, I'm trying to find a way to speed painting my units: my starting point is quite homogeneous: 3 aether war box + ironclad. so:

- 18 balloon guys

- 2 balloon heros (will resell the third probably)

- 3 gunhaulers

- 1 Ironclad

Any tips/video that can help? (I don't want a particular barak/port paint scheme, so, I don't care about colours) (PS: my thinking: leadbelcher spray as a start? or gold? etc...then adding few details?)

7 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Now that I'm officially a balloon dwarf admiral but also a bad painter with a patience tending to zéro, I'm trying to find a way to speed painting my units: my starting point is quite homogeneous: 3 aether war box + ironclad. so:

- 18 balloon guys

- 2 balloon heros (will resell the third probably)

- 3 gunhaulers

- 1 Ironclad

Any tips/video that can help? (I don't want a particular barak/port paint scheme, so, I don't care about colours) (PS: my thinking: leadbelcher spray as a start? or gold? etc...then adding few details?)