AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 minutes ago, stratigo said:

You can, in fact, shoot regardless of what kind of enemy unit is near you

We've very specifically talking about the Fly High/Disengage rule here.

Disengage:

This model and any models in its garrison can still shoot if this model retreats in the same turn, as long as there are no enemy units that can fly within 3” of this model at the start of the retreat move and there are less than 10 wounds allocated to this model at the start of the retreat move.

Note that Fly High requires less than 7 wounds, while Disengage requires 10 wounds. So If you have 6 or fewer wounds, you can Fly High and still shoot. If you have between 7 and 9 wounds, you can disengage and still shoot, but you cannot shoot if you were next to a flyer.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Soolong said:

Someone needs to do a ' 100 questions you have about the new Kharadron Overlords but were to afraid to ask'  article. The FAQ is going to be bigger than the battletome at this rate. 

Or wait until the battletome and most of them will be answered 🙈

43 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

Yes we can. Unless there is flying enemy unit within 3 inches from the ship.

I don’t get this remark. Explain? You can shoot within 3” of an enemy. You just have to target that enemy. And furthermore since you were replying to this:

49 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Surely we can still shoot after Flying High? Haven’t seen anything concrete saying we can’t. Or am I missing something? It’s a pretty clutch ability to be gimped in that way. 

you can’t set up within 9” of an enemy anyway after fly high. 
So what am I missing 😅

5 hours ago, Fisdantilus said:

Quick Question on Barak Mhornar-

What is the point of the Command Trait?  First must be garrisoned so can't use with the new hero.  2nd, and more importantly, would you not be able to fly high to get to the same spot anyway?

I understand that it is before the the first turn but with no movement and no disembarking wouldn't it just be moving you into harms way for no real benefit?

I may be missing something because I am just coming back to the game but Barak Mhornar just seems really poor compared to the other options and I am glad I never made much progress painting the army with their color scheme previously.

From my understanding you can then disembark turn 1 to get some units into the enemy territory right away. It‘s questionable though, but at least you can use buffs that require being out of your garrison (Thunderers / Khemist) a round earlier.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I don’t get this remark. Explain? You can shoot within 3” of an enemy. You just have to target that enemy. And furthermore since you were replying to this:

This model and any models in its garrison can still shoot if this model retreats in the same turn, as long as there are no enemy units that can fly within 3" of this model at the start of the retreat move and there are less than 10 wounds allocated to this model at the start of the retreat move.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kramer said:

1) Or wait until the battletome and most of them will be answered 🙈

2) I don’t get this remark. Explain? You can shoot within 3” of an enemy. You just have to target that enemy. And furthermore since you were replying to this:

3) you can’t set up within 9” of an enemy anyway after fly high. 
So what am I missing 😅

1) We know all the rules by now, some of them are really a bit strangely worded and kind of abstract as this kind of teleportation is quite new to the game. A FAQ will be important here for most rules.

2) Yes you can shoot but maybe you want to shoot unit A, thats 8“ away and not unit B thats in your face and sadly got fly. NH will be scary in this regard, best bet will probably be to just disembark to get most benefit out of our ground troops.

3) You have guns that can shoot 12“–18“ so they can fire after fly high. Clearly the main design idea was to give the ships another edge by making units able to fire out of their transport (like Dark Eldar in 40k for example) but (unlike Dark Eldar) reward your troops by getting actually on the ground to become deadlier, which is good game design. 

I‘m really looking forward to my first game with the new tome, will see if the damage/defense/mobility now is enough to win games without depending on pure dice luck.

Edited by Phasteon
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, plavski said:

We've very specifically talking about the Fly High/Disengage rule here.

Disengage:

This model and any models in its garrison can still shoot if this model retreats in the same turn, as long as there are no enemy units that can fly within 3” of this model at the start of the retreat move and there are less than 10 wounds allocated to this model at the start of the retreat move.

Note that Fly High requires less than 7 wounds, while Disengage requires 10 wounds. So If you have 6 or fewer wounds, you can Fly High and still shoot. If you have between 7 and 9 wounds, you can disengage and still shoot, but you cannot shoot if you were next to a flyer.

I am entirely certain you can. GW has never not once ever held a teleport to count as a normal move in AoS or 40k. An FAQ confirms that a teleport move does not count as a normal move when you do it. Thus fly high is not a retreat or disengage move

3 minutes ago, stratigo said:

I am entirely certain you can. GW has never not once ever held a teleport to count as a normal move in AoS or 40k. An FAQ confirms that a teleport move does not count as a normal move when you do it. Thus fly high is not a retreat or disengage move

You cannot Fly High if you have taken more than 6 wounds. At that point the Disengage rule comes into affect whereby you encounter the 3" flyer restriction.

2 minutes ago, stratigo said:

I am entirely certain you can. GW has never not once ever held a teleport to count as a normal move in AoS or 40k. An FAQ confirms that a teleport move does not count as a normal move when you do it. Thus fly high is not a retreat or disengage move. 

But warscroll say it actually is:

Instead of making a normal move with this model, if there are less than 7 wounds currently allocated to this model, you can say that it will fly high (it can retreat and disengage).

Though I also think that would be dumb. 

Just now, GeneralZero said:

Is the Thundrik's Profiteers pack worth buying? It gives a hero and a little band. I don't know the points. And rule wise/ efficiency, I have no idea...

At the very worst, you have a cheap alternate build Aether-Khemist. But Thundrik's actually got some decent rules and point this time around (re-roll hits of 1 for a skyfarers unit within 12 for free, 140 points) and it's probably the best rules/points combo of any Underworlds warband. Though I really like Rippa's on the board.

12 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Is the Thundrik's Profiteers pack worth buying? It gives a hero and a little band. I don't know the points. And rule wise/ efficiency, I have no idea...

Absolutely. It's cheaper than an Aether Khemist, and has one, and the rest are alternate models for a Thunderer, Skywarden and two Arkanauts. Plus, almost unique among Underworld warbands, they are quite good to use as-is.

13 minutes ago, eciu said:

You guys are aware you cannot teleport on top of objectives with Fly High ? (there's restriction you have to be 1" away from objectives when using Fly High and/or Disembark)

I believe this is to prevent landing a huge boat on top of an objective directly, preventing other models from getting within contesting proximity because of the boat's hugeness. You could still land 1" away from an objective and take it because you'd be within scoring distance.

It seems like it's the same sort of rule that prevents the Idoneth boat terrain, Sylvaneth forest pieces and other faction terrain from being plopped on top of objectives - they prevent other units from even moving close to tag objectives otherwise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, overtninja said:

I believe this is to prevent landing a huge boat on top of an objective directly, preventing other models from getting within contesting proximity because of the boat's hugeness. You could still land 1" away from an objective and take it because you'd be within scoring distance.

It seems like it's the same sort of rule that prevents the Idoneth boat terrain, Sylvaneth forest pieces and other faction terrain from being plopped on top of objectives - they prevent other units from even moving close to tag objectives otherwise.

Oh, then I misunderstood it. Thanks for clarification. 

16 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

Hi!

I need help to understand the thunderers weapon rule..

In a unit of 20 guys i can equip

-4 canons

-4 mortars

-4 sweepers

-4 fumigator

-4 riffles

Correct or not?

You can.

For every 5 guys in the unit, you can take one each of the special weapons.

20 divided by 5 is 4.  You have 4 sets of 5 guys in a unit of 20.  So you can have up to 4 fumigators, up to 4 decksweepers, up to 4 aethercannons, and up to 4 mortars in a unit of 20.  The rest will have rifles.