AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Hungsolo said:

I expect that’ll be it until there is a slayers vs. boxset somewhere down the line.  

I highly doubt they’ll crash the Vulkite Berserker market but there are going to be alternatives for the 360 points one block of 30 was going to fill on lists.

I expect lodges will have unique bonuses that emphasize different synergies like other recent battletomes.

Yay warscrolls!

Yeah im thinking the same thing. Vulkies will always be present but hopefully there will be more options 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 7:50 AM, madmac said:

I think the text of the preview all but confirms that non-hero Magmadroths will be a thing.

Aside from making all units viable, my one big ask for the new armybook is to make Fyreslayers a little more elite across the board. They would be much more bearable to both build and play as an army that isn't 90+ models minimum.

Make the Hearthguard units into true elite infantry, and maybe make the Vulkites a little less dependent on being fielded in blocks of 30.

Recent armybooks have had much more reasonable battalion requirements, but yes all the 1.0 battaltions requiring 3+ units that are only viable in huge blocks was ridiculous.

Disappointed that there are no new units. However, if the magma guy is "persistent", Fyreslayers become more elite, and the huge stable of leaders are internally well balanced AND have meaningful, unique roles...than the new battletome would make this a much more collectible faction.

Feel that those are a lot of asks for this release.

I am curious what they plan to do with Magmadroths, since I don't think there's an easy way to plug the hole in their backs without the saddle.

I wonder if they're going to rebox magmadroths with an extra bit for the riderless version.

Alternately, I could see them doing something like renaming the Runeson with an Axe to a Karl or whatever, demoting them to a non-hero unit.

3 hours ago, madmac said:

Alternately, I could see them doing something like renaming the Runeson with an Axe to a Karl or whatever, demoting them to a non-hero unit.

Yeah, I could see them doing something like this too.  Personally, I'm hoping the grimwraith berserkers get demoted to a non hero unit too.  I love them, and the model, but our hero slots are too valuable to take a hero that doesn't buff.

Maybe a unit of 3 of them, reduce them to 3 wounds, 3 attacks.  Maybe change the pile in and attack rule to 5+ instead under the number of wounds.  In the lore they are more elite fighters than heroes anyway.

5 hours ago, CentralKarma said:

Yeah, I could see them doing something like this too.  Personally, I'm hoping the grimwraith berserkers get demoted to a non hero unit too.  I love them, and the model, but our hero slots are too valuable to take a hero that doesn't buff.

They could always remove the Leader battlefield role for them. Remember, it's not heroes you're capped on, it's Leaders!

Granted Non-Leader heros are very rare, one of which is oddly the Legions of Nagash Black Coach.

3 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

They could always remove the Leader battlefield role for them. Remember, it's not heroes you're capped on, it's Leaders!

Granted Non-Leader heros are very rare, one of which is oddly the Legions of Nagash Black 

Good point! I meant leader.  I think it would be really cool to have a unit of 3 of them running around causing havoc all over the battle field 

13 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Speaking of Grimwrath, better kiss Doomseekers goodbye. Forgot they went oop.

Granted they and the Grimwrath Berserker kind of do the same thing anyways.

Noticed that a few weeks ago and grabbed one off of Amazon. Figure I can use it as an alternative Runeson or something. It's a good model IMO.

Yeah I also grabbed the Doomseeker just this week. It's old rules were useless, but it would be a odd move to discard the poor guy now given that there's a semi-prominent Doomseeker character in Spear of Shadows and it's the headline Fyreslayer archetype in the AoS RPG.

Maybe they'll bring it back when Fyreslayers go on pre-order? *shrug*

I hope we get some previews soon, I'm really curious to see what the warscroll changes are, between the talk of Magmadroth herds and columns of Auric Hearthguard, and what not.

People have focused on the Magmadroth thing, but I take the mention of Aurics being used as an actual Battleline formation to hint at a possible big buff to both types of Hearthguard.  Auric Hearthguard aren't exactly useless, but it's unthinkable to take them as the core of your army in their current "5 wounds for 100 points and made out of paper" state.

Give them two wounds and a 6 up shrug, maybe a second melee attack, and it might work.

Likewise, buff the Hearthguard Berserkers to 2 wounds and 2 attacks each and they might actually be worth using as a Vulkite substitute.

Edited by madmac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys. Super excited for the new book. Started AOS a year ago and wanted to start fyreslayers but guys in my meta convinced me not to since they were below the power curve.

I am happy to say I just traded off my skaven to come home to the forge!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, madmac said:

Yeah I also grabbed the Doomseeker just this week. It's old rules were useless, but it would be a odd move to discard the poor guy now given that there's a semi-prominent Doomseeker character in Spear of Shadows and it's the headline Fyreslayer archetype in the AoS RPG.

Maybe they'll bring it back when Fyreslayers go on pre-order? *shrug*

I hope we get some previews soon, I'm really curious to see what the warscroll changes are, between the talk of Magmadroth herds and columns of Auric Hearthguard, and what not.

People have focused on the Magmadroth thing, but I take the mention of Aurics being used as an actual Battleline formation to hint at a possible big buff to both types of Hearthguard.  Auric Hearthguard aren't exactly useless, but it's unthinkable to take them as the core of your army in their current "5 wounds for 100 points and made out of paper" state.

Give them two wounds and a 6 up shrug, maybe a second melee attack, and it might work.

Likewise, buff the Hearthguard Berserkers to 2 wounds and 2 attacks each and they might actually be worth using as a Vulkite substitute.

THey do look beefy enough for two wounds! They seem to be doing similar things to new tomes. Powercreep has made everyone’s damage more and more powerful. It’s difficult to withstand a bunch of fec on the charge when before they were milquetoast. We need spell equivalents (obviously they giving that) more defence or damage to work with powercreep. Two wounds on dwarves sound perfect! Especially since orks already got that treatment with both archetypes a long time ago, 

fyreslayers used to be almost impossible to shift, now that doesn’t appear to be the case at least to me. I wonder how allegiance will be tweaked of at all? And that forge makes me think it’ll be just like the khorne one and boost endless prayers... but that would be boring to me. I’d like it to perhaps upgrade a units armour or weapons or something along those lines. Or maybe it could even be used for a summoning mechanic? Like forging golems or something (although that seems far fetched! Haha)

19 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

Is fyreslayers not a common army? This thread is barren compared to the other TGA allegiance threads

It’s a horde army with kits that are priced (in money terms) like elites. A bit like DOK witch elves but without enough clout in a competitive setting to attract the competitive crowd.  The start collecting kit helped a lot, but it’s relatively expensive to build an army, and the lack of variety means not many people want to see a full army through. 

If the new battletome drops the model count needed, that might see more players willing to take the plunge with them.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

Maybe it's me but the poses of the army are a wee bit static so it's a bit hard to make something dynamic looking, as compared to say KO where you could mess around with things like flying bases or their ships. You really have to work with them to make something different than out of the box builds.

(Conspiracy, the fyrelayers were actually suppose to be plastic dwarf slayers but the AOS shake up caused them to retool into the fyreslayers. So maybe thats why they eerily look like you could fit them on square bases in a regiment)

Plus I find it weird that an army of berzerkers have very neutral faces. At least one "I'M ANGRY" face would be nice.

Compare this

99120205015_FyreslayersVulkiteBerzerkers

To this!

m470075_99110205128_DwarfSlayerMain_873x

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

If the new book doesn't fix Vulkite spam I don't see how Fyreslayers will be any more popular than before. It's still by far the most expensive GW army (barring FW stuff). I love the army and the look of it. But that price tag is stupid.

I think barring a complete failure in rules writing, the book will probably fix Vulkite Spam.

This book breathes new life into the Fyreslayers, offering a wider range of army compositions than ever before – from rampaging packs of Magmadroths to serried lines of magma-spewing Auric Hearthguard.

Just going from the brief blurb we get, it sounds like fixing Vulkite Spam is pretty much the mission statement of the book. The two examples it gives, Magmadroth packs and crowded lines of Auric Hearthguard are both examples of things that are unthinkable with Fyreslayers presently.

If they had just thrown in something about Hearthguard Berserkers they would have mentioned literally every possible unit that isn't Vulkites.

Mind you, I still really want to see those previews to see what these changes are actually going to look like, but I am optimistic for once that the days of 90 Vulkites or gtfo will be behind us.  Though I'm sure you'll still be able to do that if you want, FEC gave a lot of options but going full-on Ghoul spam was still one of them.

Also, assuming Hearthguard are buffed, they need to be made more elite at the same time, because encouraging blobs of 30 Hearthguard is actually even worse from a money/time perspective than Vulkite spam.

• Like 1

If the points don't change (much) then you can still squeeze in 90 Vulkites even when you have 4 Magmadroths (1 Runedaddy, 1 runeson, 2 runesmiters). And if you can, then people will. Especially if Magmadroths are worth taking now.

I feel they should have rethought the entire army. Or adjusted prices, but that would not have happened anyway. Fyreslayers would have been my first army if they didn't cost double that of any army. So I'm a tad salty.

it would be nice to get new units but if the magmadroth is good i think the army would look sweet as a VB spam with droths. I think the new tombe will bring new flavour. Heck we dont even know if the VB will get their 4+++ just have to wait and see.....not gonna lie i hate waiting... :(

39 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

I'm not sure how true it is, but I've heard that Vulkites are getting a rework from the ground up, losing their after-save, but picking up two wounds per model. Rumors suggest only the Hearthguard keep their aftersave. I guess we'll see. 

Would be a interesting change, for sure. Removes the main incentive to only field only max size units of Vulkites, which in turn opens up army building a lot. And if Vulkites are 2 wounds than so are Hearthguard, presumably, so they should stay fairly elite.  Also potentially ups the value of the Battlesmith quite a bit since you'll be relying on armor saves more.

I hope they do something for the heroes all being hopelessly squishy though.

On 4/1/2019 at 8:45 AM, kenshin620 said:

Maybe it's me but the poses of the army are a wee bit static so it's a bit hard to make something dynamic looking, as compared to say KO where you could mess around with things like flying bases or their ships. You really have to work with them to make something different than out of the box builds.

(Conspiracy, the fyrelayers were actually suppose to be plastic dwarf slayers but the AOS shake up caused them to retool into the fyreslayers. So maybe thats why they eerily look like you could fit them on square bases in a regiment)

Plus I find it weird that an army of berzerkers have very neutral faces. At least one "I'M ANGRY" face would be nice.

Compare this

99120205015_FyreslayersVulkiteBerzerkers

To this!

m470075_99110205128_DwarfSlayerMain_873x

Yeah these kits are not the best. The underworlds kit is much better.Screenshot_2019-04-04-15-34-12.png.fe277df7e4542936e4dc2dba3acab2b5.png It is amazing how much difference a subtle tweak to the faces and poses makes.