AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

In my opinion choosing whether to use a Magmadroth or not would depending on which Command Ability you want to use and maybe have the Magmadroth be a distraction carnifex, though on second thought that probably isn't smart since you want him alive. 

As for command traits, remember that the army is built around propping up the Berzerkers so traits like Fury of the Fyreslayers, Exemplar of the Ancestor and Spirit of Grimnir would be your go-to traits to pick. Your heroes (except for the single hero berzerker. Don't get your berzerkers confused!) will want to stay behind your VBs most of the time to stay alive so they wont be seeing much battle unless they have to. 

Sounds a lot like Blades of Khorne. I definitely chose my heroes based on their buffs, though most of them probably saw combat more frequently. Good to know, though. Thanks for all the help! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sitting with my first SC box and a paralyzed with load out indecision.  I'm going to be running 1250 point Vanguard mostly, I have 30 Vulkite Berserkers and thinking I should go pick and shield, but rerolling hits just always seems like the best practice.  My second battleline will be either 10 Hearthguard for now.

17 hours ago, tchad78 said:

I'm sitting with my first SC box and a paralyzed with load out indecision.  I'm going to be running 1250 point Vanguard mostly, I have 30 Vulkite Berserkers and thinking I should go pick and shield, but rerolling hits just always seems like the best practice.  My second battleline will be either 10 Hearthguard for now.

I think 2x axes might be the optimal choice in most cases. But I run shields and picks. Partly because tossing the shields is fun and does a few mortal wounds before combat kicks in. But I really like the rend on the picks too. Especially when the rune that adds rend to weapons activates and the swing with -2 rend (or even -3! With luck). That should get through most armour :D

Edited by Mikeymajq

5 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

I think 2x axes might be the optimal choice in most cases. But I run shields and picks. Partly because tossing the shields is fun and does a few mortal wounds before combat kicks in. But I really like the rend on the picks too. Especially when the rune that adds rend to weapons activates and the swing with -2 rend (or even -3! With luck). That should get through most armour :D

I went picks and shields.  My whole goal in starting this army was to try a more defensive faction than Ironjawz.  I can always come them off later if I hate them!

• Like 1

Yeah the better save is nice too. Especially with the reroll from the battlesmith. ^^

On another note. Anyone got any advice against sylvaneth? I'm getting a regular beatdown in our firestorm campaign xD

Their wyldwood spamming and spells are annoying. And they feel about as tanky as my troops with their dryads. 😧

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 6:25 AM, Mikeymajq said:

Yeah the better save is nice too. Especially with the reroll from the battlesmith. ^^

On another note. Anyone got any advice against sylvaneth? I'm getting a regular beatdown in our firestorm campaign xD

Their wyldwood spamming and spells are annoying. And they feel about as tanky as my troops with their dryads. 😧

from my experience rune master does well against sylvaneth and LOTL gives us a chance to go first ie teleport your VB in good position to stop tree spam in specific spots.

• Thanks 1

Hi all

Boy I have some reservations about doing our mighty fire hearted kin with the new drop on gloomspite gitz coming in (i was a destruction player at heart ^^;;;). But i swore an oath (literally XD) to a friend that i would see this project through to the end. So i thought i would come here to ask about the fyreslayers in general since its been a good while on playing them last. 

So right now this is what i own

2 Magmadroth Kits

Auric Runemaster

Battlesmith

Grimwrath Berzerker (on his way before the new year)

40 Vulkite Berzerkers (10 built double axe)

20 Hearthguard  (5 built toward berzerkers) 

Yeah i kind of went a little overboard at christmas ^^;;

I haven't played a game since june, july. Which might not be too long, but last army was beastclaw so you can see why i'm a little confused going from around 10 models to over 50 XD

Is there any good 1000pts lists to start out with to get to grips with how the fyreslayers work ? 

Also i was going to aim to do the Lords of the lodge at 1500pts since i've got all the models for it. But i'm not sure when the best time is to take a warscroll battalion. 

Any helps on getting this young beardling runed up and off to the fight is much appreciated ^^

On 12/26/2018 at 11:31 PM, SolarBur said:

Hi all

Boy I have some reservations about doing our mighty fire hearted kin with the new drop on gloomspite gitz coming in (i was a destruction player at heart ^^;;;). But i swore an oath (literally XD) to a friend that i would see this project through to the end. So i thought i would come here to ask about the fyreslayers in general since its been a good while on playing them last. 

So right now this is what i own

2 Magmadroth Kits

Auric Runemaster

Battlesmith

Grimwrath Berzerker (on his way before the new year)

40 Vulkite Berzerkers (10 built double axe)

20 Hearthguard  (5 built toward berzerkers) 

Yeah i kind of went a little overboard at christmas ^^;;

I haven't played a game since june, july. Which might not be too long, but last army was beastclaw so you can see why i'm a little confused going from around 10 models to over 50 XD

Is there any good 1000pts lists to start out with to get to grips with how the fyreslayers work ? 

Also i was going to aim to do the Lords of the lodge at 1500pts since i've got all the models for it. But i'm not sure when the best time is to take a warscroll battalion. 

Any helps on getting this young beardling runed up and off to the fight is much appreciated ^^

I have no experience playing Fyreslayers, but I've been trying to help my buddy with his that he just started. 

Magmadroth seems very powerful. My friend uses it as a Runefather, but I'd guess whichever has the buff you like the most would be the one to use. The Runefather's battleshock buff has some useful utility, so I think it's a sound choice. 

Battlesmith seems particularly useful, particularly in larger games. My friend is very excited from his Grimwrath Berzerker and plans to put him in his 1,000 point list. The hero seems powerful and he's pretty cheap so we'll see how that goes. He's a good contester for Ghyrstrike, giving him a 2+ to hit and to wound. 

Idk what is better on the Vulkite Berzerkers, but my friend uses 20 with dual axes and 10 with picks and shields in 1,000 points. I think having 1 of each instead of 2 of both is better because you can then direct them at the enemy unit that they want to fight. Picks vs enemies with a 4+ or 5+ save and Axes vs enemies with a 5+ or 6+ save.

Making 5 or 10 of those Hearthguard into the shooty kind could be useful as ranged support, backline defenders from summoning/deep strike, and any backfield objectives. 

As for melee Hearthguard, I'm not sure what I'd do. The greataxes are more powerful than your dual axes or picks, but are otherwise basically the same thing. The mortal wound weapons on the other hand offer something new to your army - a way to inflict mortal wounds. The downside, however is that your unit is slow and  therefore cannot reliably choose which enemy it will fight and therefore might not fight the tough, elite enemy that it wants to.

My friend uses a Runesmiter to deepstrike his unit of pick berzerkers. This might be a useful strategy for using the mortal wound hearthguard unit as you'd be able to put them where they're needed most. 

My friend's 1,000 point list:

Runefather on Magmadroth

Runesmiter

Runeson

Grimwrath Berzerker

10 Vulkite Berzerkers - Picks and shield

20 Vulkite Berzerkers - dual axes

5 Auric Hearthguard

Make a list with your 3 heroes (use only 1 magmadroth) and as many of the vulkite and hearthguard as you'd like. 

Edit: Just realized, Runemaster makes Auric Hearthguard battleline and the Runefather makes the hearthguard berzerkers battleline, so you should almost definitely turn 1 of your magmadroths into a runefather. 

Edited by Kharneth
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

Magmadroth seems very powerful. My friend uses it as a Runefather, but I'd guess whichever has the buff you like the most would be the one to use. The Runefather's battleshock buff has some useful utility, so I think it's a sound choice. 

The one thing I would clarify here would be that Magmadroth are powerful as a force multiplier rather than a large damage dealer. They can dish out some hurt, but it pales in comparison to other large model units in the game. Keep them bubble wrapped with some V. Beserkers as you charge down the field and your peachy. 

• Like 2

As a relatively new Runefather who split to forge his own lodge, I played a few games with a mate the other weekend to get a feel for the army and the new edition. Having played against beastclaws (as thats his army) at the 500, 750 and 1000 point ranges, I learned a few valuable lessons:

• Vulkite berserkers really are our bread, butter, main and dessert all in one... and that I need more.
  • Hearthguard units, both Auric and berserker varieties, have their part to play, but not as the elite linebreakers their fluff portrays them to be.
  • It is unwise to field Hearthguard units in units of 5: they die to a gentle breeze (particularly when that breeze just happens to be a freeze ray charged with electricity from a Thundertusk) and don't output much damage, even with magmapikes.
  • It is unwise to put your heroes, namely battlesmiths and runesmiters within range of a thundertusk's freeze breath weapon
  • It is unwise to use Runefathers on Magmadroths as linebreakers in general. Even more so against beastclaws.
  • It is unwise to forget about activating one's runes every turn.
  • Grimwrath Berserkers may not be game breakers, but they can be a nasty surprise if positioned right. And,
  • It is completely ok to have a book of grudges to accompany your army everywhere it goes and record the losses.

In many cases, most of the above lessons have been reiterated over and over in this thread and its predecessor thread, so many "I told you so's" are warranted and I'll roll with them accordingly. But new Runefathers have to learn things the hard way. 

Edited by Malios
  • Like 3

Well thanks for all the help to kick my own Lodge off. Though i'm no Runefather yet, just a beardling of a Runeson setting out into the realms ^^

From What i've read in the book and in the generals handbook, i did get the impression that the Vulkites were our mainstay unit, just with the extra save and variety of weapons. Plus that 1 extra attack over the Hearthguard berzerkers really comes in handy. So i will be running large units of them in most games i imagine. 20 - 30. 

Heathguard Berzerkers are the cleanup crew. Dealing with the heavily armored or tricky to take down foes. Though it seems their weapon loadout basically comes just down to personal preference. The Auric Hearthguard seem to be a bit of the same thing, problem shooters. Taking down or hurting something that's a potential threat at range before it or your Vulkites get stuck into it. 

Lastly... I really like all the characters in the book. All of them seem really useful. Back when i used to play warhammer fantasy, there was always just certain characters i would stay away from (either fluff reasons or money reasons), but all of the Fyreslayer ones i would happily use... Methinks i will probably buy another start collecting set in future just to have the full set of Magmadroth characters. And of course more Vulkites. 

I haven't played a lot of age of sigmar 2nd edition yet. But if i can get a chunk of what i've got built, i might be able to get in a game next week to get to grips with them and i will be sure to let you know how i get on. 

And yes Malios, i will be sure to bring a note book with me. Grudges are a think that must be settled after all >:3

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 8:38 AM, Mikeymajq said:

Ah smart thinking with the battalion. 

Would it be wise to teleport into the starting forest to block it, or is that suicide?

... By Grimnir, I hate fighting Sylvaneth 😒

I have 20 but would like 30. Or two units of 20. 

hmmm sounds like suicide to me. if you teleport your units in the right positions and conga line them then there wont be many optimal places for them to land. your main goals are the objective markers so if you can hold the line where needed ie reroll saves and 4+ save anything you may come out ahead. really depends on how you play.

3 hours ago, Bimli said:

hmmm sounds like suicide to me. if you teleport your units in the right positions and conga line them then there wont be many optimal places for them to land. your main goals are the objective markers so if you can hold the line where needed ie reroll saves and 4+ save anything you may come out ahead. really depends on how you play.

Yeah I figured as much...

Problem isbhe gets to plop down those huge wyldwoods on an objective, sometimes stretching to reach 2 of them, in some scenarios. And if he gets 1st turn he can conjure up more woods on another objective and 'deepstrike' a blob of dryads. It kind of puts me on the backfoot even before deployment. I guess it doesn't help that we're on lower pts still and thus play on a 4x4' board. Hopefully it'll balance out if there's more ground to cover... maybe.. xD

I tried the runemaster out but got LoS blocked in that game so he didn't really get to shine much. But the extra attacks were welcome once he got into range of the treelord... who still didn't die because 2+ rerolling 1's and ignoring -1 rend is a thing.... 

I did enjoy my  Auric- magmapike dudes however, lots of shots before the army charges is nice. Do wish more runes affected their guns though.  :D

Anyone gone for the Dispossesed Runelord as an ally? That unbind would be hellova welcome since we lost our only artefact that helped in that regard. 

I have the issue now of equipping my Hearthguard Berzerkers. I don't know what i will be fighting in future, so I'm just thinking of what looks better in general. The Broadaxe just looks natural in an army of axe hurlers, the axe is bigger than them but just the idea of a Fyreslayer with an even bigger axe just feels right. And the Poleaxes just look cool, Duardin with flaming flails, sounds weird but cool XD

I'm making steady progress in the army as well. Its been a while since i've built and army with a decent model count so it's pretty slow going but its on its way. Got myself a Son, Master, 20 Vulkites, and 10 Hearthguard Berzerkers (minus the weapon option ^^;;) built up so far. Just now got to get 10 more Vulkites done and I've got my first 750pts of Fyreslayers built. Which is pretty exciting ^^

(Edit)

After thinking on it for a little bit, I'm going to give them Broadaxes. No gaming reason to be honest, just because story narrative. The idea of a Son going out to form his own lodge, no fancy gear in his army, just axes, picks, and bigger axes. Plus i think it works nicely because i'm starting out with an army from scratch, and really enjoying it so far. So my first 750pts is going to look like this to start me out. 

Runeson (General)

Battlesmith

20 Vulkite Berzerkers (Double Axe)

10 Vulkite Berzerkers (Pick and Shield)

10 Hearthguard Berzerkers (Broadaxe)

Yeah, technically 10pts over. But for a couple of practice games i don't think people would mind too much. And if they do i will just switch out the Smith for either a Master or Grimwrath  

Edited by SolarBur
needed to add something

(posted this in wrong forum before)

Hello. Im new to the game and would like some help to set up a 1000p squad with the fyreslayers. The only guys I have atm are the ones from the "Start Collecting!-pack"

Additionaly, I see that some ppl use different heroes on the magmadroth and would like to know the reasoning behind it. What is the difference between a runesmiter on foot and a runesmiter on a magmadroth etc? What weapons should i use on runesmiter/son/father etc? Im confused because all I see is ppl saying this or that is better but I never understood why so explain to me like im 5 please

Im sure its been answered before but just asking to make sure.

the vulkite berzerkers wording specifically says “had 20 or more models” i have a 20 man unit it is at 4+ fury save. I take 10 wounds. Do i get the 4+ for all 10 wounds or do i roll til the first guy dies? 

2 hours ago, Bozly said:

Im sure its been answered before but just asking to make sure.

the vulkite berzerkers wording specifically says “had 20 or more models” i have a 20 man unit it is at 4+ fury save. I take 10 wounds. Do i get the 4+ for all 10 wounds or do i roll til the first guy dies? 

It’s based on the number of models at the start of the phase

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Looking at starting up Fyreslayers and I'm interested in the Lords of the Lodge Battalion, with a setup like below:

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Allies
Auric Runefather (100)
- General
- Trait: Spirit of Grimnir 
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Battlesmith (120)
Auric Runemaster (80)
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (200)
- Forge Key
30 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (480)
- Poleaxes
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (360)
- Pairs of Handaxes
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (360)
- Pairs of Handaxes
Lords of the Lodge (110)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 125

The reroll failed wound rolls from the Runesmiter on Magmadroth seems very strong, and the Battlesmith staying near your blocks of units to give reroll failed save rolls.  Knight-Incantor for the auto-unbind and throwing the Geminids out there.  Possible other artifact is the one that auto-dispels the endless spell.

Edited by Black_Fortress_Immortal

On 12/24/2018 at 8:38 AM, Mikeymajq said:

Ah smart thinking with the battalion. 

Would it be wise to teleport into the starting forest to block it, or is that suicide?

... By Grimnir, I hate fighting Sylvaneth 😒

I have 20 but would like 30. Or two units of 20. 

Teleporting doesn't count as "moving" it's a "set-up" but you're likely to eat spells.  If the woods are on an objective, I'd say give it a shot so your Vulkites with shields can potentially be 3+ save, rerolling failed saves with the Battlesmith banner.

• Like 1

As dispossesed player that just got one fyreslayer starter,battlesmith and one box of vulkites only as ally for my dwarfs i can say that i wont buy more fyreslayers because for me arent appealing.

As ally they are cool,but 2000 points of naked dwarfs is dull,they missed a chance with the hearthguard,they should have been a full armored unit so be diferent than vulkites.

I really hope that gw release two new box for fyreslayers with 100% new units as cavalry or so and then i gonna expand mine to 2k

• Like 1