AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 8/2/2018 at 8:29 PM, Deepkin said:

Chariots and female fyreslayers would be awesome. GW lore on female dwarfs always alternated between good (they dont have beards, which was always an annoying trope IMO. Funny when Prachett did it, terrible everywhere else) and bad (only 1 in 10 dwarfs are women; aka this species should have died out literally the first time it fought a war). 

We know women take a pretty big role in Fyreslayer culture (the head of the Miners Fellowship in, i.e. one of the most important positions in a society that lives underground, was a woman in one of the short stories, and its not portrayed as abnormal) so having them as warriors would be cool. Plus barbarian dwarf warrior women with golden runes in their skin and gigantic ginger mohawks sounds so deliciously 80s.

On 8/2/2018 at 7:07 PM, Darren2607 said:

I love chariots. Some fire chariots would look amazing 

Yeah chariots would be amazing - and would fit the slightly Ancient Mesopotamia-inspired aesthetic of the Fyreslayers. 

Edited by Dawnmane
(typo)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2018 at 6:19 AM, Hungsolo said:

Every faction needs ladies, it’s a little on the nose but yeah RUNEMOTHER and RUNEDAUGHTER should BE THINGS.  Also I want ur-gold over charged exploding berserker dwarves and rune golems.

Not completely sold on Runemothers and Runedaughters given the patriarchal society Fyreslayers are supposed to be, but more women in general could be cool (what about that mining guild?).

Mini-salamander cavalry and a tweaked Runemaster would really enhance the faction, IMO, but I love love love the idea of exploding berserker dwarves and rune golems (especially the golems), and this is the first time I've heard either of those suggested. Brilliant idea!

IMO Magmadroths need a complete rework. They are the weakest and squishiest monsters in the game.

Runemaster and all the heroes need a full profile rework as well.  Except Grimmy. Well the Battlesmith and Runesmiter have specific roles....but Son and Father have some of the shittiest combat profiles for heroes in the game.

I would like to see one of two things. Speed or range. Some sort of calvary would be fine but as the super smiths that duradin are I would much rather see warmachines. Like a giant magma pike on steroids or something that fires gold tipped rune etched shells.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2018 at 8:52 AM, JTZara said:

Mini-salamander cavalry and a tweaked Runemaster would really enhance the faction, IMO, but I love love love the idea of exploding berserker dwarves and rune golems (especially the golems), and this is the first time I've heard either of those suggested. Brilliant idea!

Mini magmadroth cavalry would be incredible, or chariots with mini magmadroths pulling them.  Anything to give us a fast attack option for claiming objectives

On 9/13/2018 at 2:59 AM, azmarus said:

he have 60 Vulkite Berzerkers

15  Auric Hearthguard

all foot heroes

1 magmabeast

Leaders:

Runemaster - General(so auric hearthguard can be battleline)

Runesmiter

Battlesmith

Battleline:

30 Vulkites with picks and shields

15 Auric Hearthguard

Tunnel the hearthguard with the smiter and pincer your opponent

• Like 1

Man I think Fyreslayers need something to break the pallet up when looked at. I get the feeling some sort of giant chrome and red monstrosity would be cool. Like the metal is melting near its firey core. Perhaps some sort of chrome Magmadroth? I definitely think it would look like an animal and something off of a heavy metal album color. Kind of like the chrome demon from brutal legend. 

16 hours ago, CentralKarma said:

Mini magmadroth cavalry would be incredible, or chariots with mini magmadroths pulling them.  Anything to give us a fast attack option for claiming objectives

I would prefer magmadroth as units of beast, a bit like the salamanders or the razordrons from the seraphons. Making mini-magmadroth would be a bit.. boring

4 hours ago, ledha said:

I would prefer magmadroth as units of beast, a bit like the salamanders or the razordrons from the seraphons. Making mini-magmadroth would be a bit.. boring

Maybe, I think it could be pretty cool from a lore standpoint, baby magmadroths getting some reps before they are ready to be ridden into battle by a hero.

Some sort of winged fire creature would be dope too.  I just wish this army had a fast attack option

On 10/1/2018 at 4:57 AM, CentralKarma said:

Maybe, I think it could be pretty cool from a lore standpoint, baby magmadroths getting some reps before they are ready to be ridden into battle by a hero.

Some sort of winged fire creature would be dope too.  I just wish this army had a fast attack option

I'd just like them to fill the visual space between infantry and our big Magmadroths!

Ruleswise I think we could really use a few more magic-nerfing units, which should really be the Runemaster. I find that the Magmadroths and our go-faster rune go a long way to making up for our lack of cavalry. Would be quite nice to have our own artillery. I can only think of that being some kind of (magma?) cannon, though.

Well the  theme is a little bit too monotone at the moment. Axes + Hair + Fire is pretty much the only theme. When you look at the new chambers that stormcast have unlocked they have expanded the theme a little bit, adding less armour cloaked rangers and various fast cavalry etc that have a slightly expanded the theme. I think Fyreslayers need a new release with the stormcast releases as a guide. 

Leaders Lodge (Current Heroes)

Warriors Lodge (current units)

New Lodge ideas

Hunters Lodge (new Ur-gold hunters, Rangers style fyreslayers)

- The runemasters ur-gold glint mechanic sorta starts this concept, I also like Anti-Monster mechanics here

Priests Lodge (expand from runesmiter/runemaster, Zealot fyreslayers units)

- Grimwrath berserker is a zealot like character, perhaps some ur-gold crazy units. Deathblow mechanics again maybe

Beasts Lodge (expand into more salamander creatures, Vulcatrix inspiration creatures)

- Small magmadroths, magmadroth cavalry, magmadroth chariots. Small beasts to be prodded into battle.

Edited by Rollcage
  • Like 1

I'd personally be totally ok with no more heroes being released for Fyreslayers for a bit and just have some unit variance. 

Has there been any word on new releases for early AoS armies or are the Slaanesh releases the newest news at the moment?

• 2 weeks later...

Some stupid questions I have that I'm prob over thinking. Brand new to the hobby soooo...

1. A unit of vulkite berzerkers can have a guy with the horn of grimnir. Is their a point to having more than one? Can I reroll two charge dice for having two horns?

2. If I have a unit of vulkite berzerkers and they are all dual wielding the axes does the guy carrying the horn not get to reroll misses because he isn't dual wielding?

3. Do I roll the Karl's attack first because it deals 2 damage?

Love the models so far... haven't painted them quite yet but I'm excited to get started.

2 hours ago, Gmburg said:

Some stupid questions I have that I'm prob over thinking. Brand new to the hobby soooo...

1. A unit of vulkite berzerkers can have a guy with the horn of grimnir. Is their a point to having more than one? Can I reroll two charge dice for having two horns?

2. If I have a unit of vulkite berzerkers and they are all dual wielding the axes does the guy carrying the horn not get to reroll misses because he isn't dual wielding?

3. Do I roll the Karl's attack first because it deals 2 damage?

Love the models so far... haven't painted them quite yet but I'm excited to get started.

1. No, you only re-roll 1 dice. You can have multiple horns but only use for that is protection against some specific model snipers (which are rare)

2. Your special guys (standard bearers, musicians etc.) Are always counted as if they have the same weapons equipped as the rest of the unit. Also as a side note, with vulkites you must equip entire unit with same weapon type (some units allow free weapon mixing, always read unit description for this).

3. Unless specifically noted, all attacks happen same time (so technically you can roll seperately or together with the rest of your units with different colored dice).

Edited by angrycontra

1 hour ago, angrycontra said:

3. Unless specifically noted, all attacks happen same time (so technically you can roll seperately or together with the rest of your units with different colored dice).

Yeah I was curious about this because it does 2 damage instead of 1. How do I determine he specifically didn't miss. I could roll everyones attacks and wounds and just announce his hits every time right? Seems wrong but I'm still new so I don't know.

5 hours ago, Gmburg said:

Yeah I was curious about this because it does 2 damage instead of 1. How do I determine he specifically didn't miss. I could roll everyones attacks and wounds and just announce his hits every time right? Seems wrong but I'm still new so I don't know.

You either roll his attacks seperately (doesn't matter whether you throw them before or after everyone else) or like I said, use different color dice to show his attacks. Like if you got 10 vulkites in range and one is karl, you roll 18 attacks with red dice for example and 2 with black, representing Karl, or something like that. But yeah, you must roll Karl seperately in some way because his attacks have basically different profile than rest of your vulkites. The damage Karl does is simply added to the total damage you do once all vulkites have attacked.

• 3 weeks later...