Jump to content

AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have literally never seen prochuvi post anything that wasnt extremely negative, so can't say his opinion surprises me. 

Magmadroth finished!!! For Grimnir!  

WIP of my Magmadroth! I'm currently done with the 'skin'. Now  I just need to do the head and all the horns/claws (they will get a bone-colour) and Ur-Gold runes. I'm going for more classic lizzard/dr

Posted Images

Has anybody tried using Vulkite Bezerkers to make Hearthguard Bezerkers with spare axes/flails?

Do you thinking anyone would object (if I ever played in a tournament setting)?  
 

The models seem close enough unless really looking closely at details like loincloths and headgear.

I’ve got 30 vulkites on sprue (purchased for last edition vulkite spam and battleline requirements) but probably only need 10 or 20, and have 10 extra sets of axes/flails from making Auric Hearthguard.

thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, been collecting Fyreslayers for a bit. I so far have the following built and painted. I honestly not sure what to do for the last 400 points. I'm sure I could just run 4 Grimwraths but I was maybe getting Skywardens or maybe Thunderers. Also was thinking of Irondrakes but they will most likely need to move first turn.

Also I do have a unbuilt Magmadroth for Runesmither if that would improve the list.

Any help would be appreciated.

 

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Vostarg

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)
Auric Runemaster (120)
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
Battlesmith (140)

Battleline
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- Pair of Handaxes
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- Pair of Handaxes

Units
20 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (480)
- Broadaxes

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (140)

Total: 1600 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, i played against SCE last night. They blew out my entire HQ first turn with everblaze comet, rain of stars, and the primes meteor. Literally didnt have a chance to do anything.  Obviously the only counter to that would have been to deploy more spread out, but everything in the army is wholly within 12" for buffs, so what am i supposed to do to counter that? Table wide reach on 1/d3/3+3 mortal wounds + the comet which is guaranteed damage ( 2 ticks if its cast the 2nd round since it activates on start of next battleround)  is almost a guaranteed kill of my leaders.  No matter what he can kill my runefather general it seems, which would completely gimp the army either way since i was playing a Hermdar list where the entire focus is to have the runefather next to my 30 blob of HGB to just activate first and wreck face. 

I guess im looking to see how people deploy this army to avoid ****** like that.

Also, table wide reach in this game is such utter ******. spent all day getting hyped on the list i made, only to see it get wrecked because the opponent brought 1000 pts of models that can just autokill stuff on the table from wherever they stand. And thats not even accounting for the rest of the shooting he had in the army with desolaters .  The balance in this game is so frustrating at times. GG GW. 

Lodge- Hermdar
50 pts- extra command point

Runefather- Tyrant slayer/Warrior indomitable / -General
Rune master- prayer of ash
Battlesmith x 2
Rune smiter on magmadroth- ash cloud rune/ searing heat
Runesmith- Prayer that lets you run and charge

30 HGB
10 HGB
5  HGB

Lords of the lodge

2000/2000

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ser_namron said:

So, i played against SCE last night. They blew out my entire HQ first turn with everblaze comet, rain of stars, and the primes meteor.....
 

That can be a lot to deal with turn 1, but you've got the right idea castling up to keep all units in the bubble.

6 hours ago, Ser_namron said:

Lodge- Hermdar
50 pts- extra command point

Runefather- Tyrant slayer/Warrior indomitable / -General
Rune master- prayer of ash
Battlesmith x 2
Rune smiter on magmadroth- ash cloud rune/ searing heat
Runesmith- Prayer that lets you run and charge

30 HGB
10 HGB
5  HGB

Lords of the lodge

To mitigate that level of mortal wound output against your heroes, id tweak your list.  Personally I'd drop the 2nd battle smith, the runesmiter on magmadroth.  Doing that you can take 10 auric hearthguard, and spend the extra 40 on the wall.  Keep them close to your heroes and shrug wounds/ mortal wounds off to them.  If you're lucky they'll survive and you get some good shooting out  of the deal. 

Not having the runesmiter on the magmadroth also gives you a 2nd tunnel option, so you can close the gap on the big stuff easily.  Half your opponents is tied up in 2 models.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CentralKarma said:

o mitigate that level of mortal wound output against your heroes, id tweak your list.  Personally I'd drop the 2nd battle smith, the runesmiter on magmadroth.  Doing that you can take 10 auric hearthguard, and spend the extra 40 on the wall.  Keep them close to your heroes and shrug wounds/ mortal wounds off to them.  If you're lucky they'll survive and you get some good shooting out  of the deal. 

Not having the runesmiter on the magmadroth also gives you a 2nd tunnel option, so you can close the gap on the big stuff easily.  Half your opponents is tied up in 2 models.

 

Thanks for the input, those changes sound interesting. I didnt see the auric hearthgaurds ability to soak wounds, thats super helpful. Ive never really used them before, but oddly enough i have 10 i use as HGB proxys.  I kinda liked the magmadroth just because he puts the wounds on the smiter high enough to survive, and i really want that re roll wound. but if i can have some hearthgaurd soaking wounds for my HQ that might not matter. Still, thats banking alot on 4+ to save my heroes, but i guess thats better than nothing on tablewide no line of sight required nonsense  :P. Who would you take with the runesmiter underground, the 5 or 10 blob? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ser_namron said:

Thanks for the input, those changes sound interesting. I didnt see the auric hearthgaurds ability to soak wounds, thats super helpful. Ive never really used them before, but oddly enough i have 10 i use as HGB proxys.  I kinda liked the magmadroth just because he puts the wounds on the smiter high enough to survive, and i really want that re roll wound. but if i can have some hearthgaurd soaking wounds for my HQ that might not matter. Still, thats banking alot on 4+ to save my heroes, but i guess thats better than nothing on tablewide no line of sight required nonsense  :P. Who would you take with the runesmiter underground, the 5 or 10 blob? 

I love the Auric Hearthguards, great shooting and great for protecting heroes.  Sorry, I thought the runesmith was another runesmiter, and you were running 3 priests.  If that is the case you have 2 bros that can cast runic empowerment, those rerolls are amazing.  Having 2 runesmiters is great find offers a lot of flexibility in deployment I find.  I don't always tunnel them, depends on the opponent.  In the sitiuation you laid out with your list I'd tunnel the 10 man unit.  Out of curiosity, what is there load out?

I can't think of many things game with better than a 4+ feel no pain. Worst case scenario, everything goes your opponents way, and you're taking 9 mortal wounds. with the 4+ FNP you're taking 4.5 on average.  9 mortal wounds is definitely above average damage output with those 3 spells/ abilities. Also only the stardrakes ability is table wide.  The Celestant Prime's meteor has a max threat range of 30" and is based on line of sight.  The comet is 36" from the wizards that casts it.  I noticed you have the ash cloud rune on one of your priests, so there is always a chance to unbind it.

There's always a chance of bad dice, but there isn't much you can do about that.  Just part of the game.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 3:18 PM, Thenord said:

How do you guys run Vulkite Berzerkers? 10, 20? Picks n' Shields or doubble axes? I see pros and cons for each?

I quite like a unit of 20 with shields- especially in a Hermdar lodge- use a runesmiter to drop them into your opponents territory or around an objective, and you’ve got 40 wounds with a 4+ save and immunity to battleshock for your opponent to worry about. 
 

I haven’t tried twin axes in a unit of 20, but I would have thought that 32mm base size would work against them as you’d struggle to get them all into combat. Units of 10 die surprisingly quickly, but  when they do get a swing they can dish out a decent amount of damage.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CentralKarma said:

bros that can cast runic empowerment, those rerolls are amazing

Wait i can cast runic empowerment twice in one turn? Or you're just saying i have 2 people that can cast it in general. But ya i only brought 1 runesmiter because the battalion doesnt have one and i want that runelord in their for the dispell attempt, otherwise endless spells will just run train on me if i cant unbind them with the ash cloud rune.  But with the runelord/smiter/master i do have 3 prayers so thats nice ( didnt realize runelord could take a prayer which is dope). 

 

14 minutes ago, CentralKarma said:

The Celestant Prime's meteor has a max threat range of 30" and is based on line of sight.

Oooh that i didnt know, i will have to pay attention to that in the future. the comet is a ****** at 36" and a 10" radius of initial damage, but these Auric hearthgaurd are seeming more and more clutch to me lol. 

 

25 minutes ago, CentralKarma said:

Having 2 runesmiters is great find offers a lot of flexibility in deployment I find.  I don't always tunnel them, depends on the opponent.  In the sitiuation you laid out with your list I'd tunnel the 10 man unit.  Out of curiosity, what is there load out?

I usually run polearms because i face alot of SCE and and Nighthaunt so rend doesnt really do as much and mortals can be really clutch. But i was talking to my friend earlier about making the 10 blob into 2h axe for more reliable damage. I can just try to avoid things that arent as susceptible to rend with them. 

I actually brought the same list i used against the SCE to a game against beasts of chaos last night and won pretty handily in knife to the heart. The 10 blob of berzerkers took care of a unit of 30 ungors pretty easily, but i messed up the battalion rule and had them attack twice when the blob of 30 are the battalion unit. But i was surprised at how nasty even a unit of 5 with poleaxes can get. A couple of 6s and those mortals explode. 


Thanks for all the input, im starting to think i wrote this army off as way too simple but its actually got some real strategy in there. The only other real question i have is, what are the usual tactics for the ur gold runes at the start of a turn? any shenanigans i should know of lol?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ser_namron said:

Wait i can cast runic empowerment twice in one turn? Or you're just saying i have 2 people that can cast it in general. But ya i only brought 1 runesmiter because the battalion doesnt have one and i want that runelord in their for the dispell attempt, otherwise endless spells will just run train on me if i cant unbind them with the ash cloud rune.  But with the runelord/smiter/master i do have 3 prayers so thats nice ( didnt realize runelord could take a prayer which is dope). 

Local meta can influence list choice, but more and more I'm just ignoring spells.   I run a lot of HGB - seems you are too - so I tend to not worry about mortal wounds too much.  The runelord can take a prayer from the Fyreslayers book? If that's true then I just learned something!

1 hour ago, Ser_namron said:

I usually run polearms because i face alot of SCE and and Nighthaunt so rend doesnt really do as much and mortals can be really clutch. But i was talking to my friend earlier about making the 10 blob into 2h axe for more reliable damage. I can just try to avoid things that arent as susceptible to rend with them. 

Honestly, both load outs are great good to have both.  I play a lot of skaven and goblins, and a small unit with broadaxes vapourize those guys with the extra damage.  

1 hour ago, Ser_namron said:

Thanks for all the input, im starting to think i wrote this army off as way too simple but its actually got some real strategy in there. The only other real question i have is, what are the usual tactics for the ur gold runes at the start of a turn? any shenanigans i should know of lol?

Happy to help! Personally, I don't think they are a simple army.  Due to there slow movement and reliance on auras you have to be very careful playing them.

The beauty of the runes is that they are very situational.  Against Stormcast, get your bros into combat and pop the Rune of Awakened Steel (+1 Rend) and smash through there lines.  I use to always start with the Rune of Relentless Zeal to move up quickly, but now I try and save it for late game if i need to secure a key objective, or re position my army.  

Let me know if you have any more questions, love helping out the new lodge members.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 11:24 AM, CentralKarma said:

That can be a lot to deal with turn 1, but you've got the right idea castling up to keep all units in the bubble.

To mitigate that level of mortal wound output against your heroes, id tweak your list.  Personally I'd drop the 2nd battle smith, the runesmiter on magmadroth.  Doing that you can take 10 auric hearthguard, and spend the extra 40 on the wall.  Keep them close to your heroes and shrug wounds/ mortal wounds off to them.  If you're lucky they'll survive and you get some good shooting out  of the deal. 

Not having the runesmiter on the magmadroth also gives you a 2nd tunnel option, so you can close the gap on the big stuff easily.  Half your opponents is tied up in 2 models.

 

Agree with these suggestions 100%.  Gotta have the Aurics for MW protection on your heroes.

 Runesmiter in foot to tunnel is a huge thing opponent has to prepare for and gives us major options for objective grabbing, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 6:38 PM, Azamar said:

I quite like a unit of 20 with shields- especially in a Hermdar lodge- use a runesmiter to drop them into your opponents territory or around an objective, and you’ve got 40 wounds with a 4+ save and immunity to battleshock for your opponent to worry about. 
 

I haven’t tried twin axes in a unit of 20, but I would have thought that 32mm base size would work against them as you’d struggle to get them all into combat. Units of 10 die surprisingly quickly, but  when they do get a swing they can dish out a decent amount of damage.

Thanks mate!

So when I have 30, I should maybe go for 20 with picks n' shield for objective/tanking and 10 with double axes for screen/throw at something?

How about heartguard berzerkers. I see a lot of guys using broadaxes, are they really better than the potential 2 MW of the poleaxes?

 

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thenord said:

Thanks mate!

So when I have 30, I should maybe go for 20 with picks n' shield for objective/tanking and 10 with double axes for screen/throw at something?

How about heartguard berzerkers. I see a lot of guys using broadaxes, are they really better than the potential 2 MW of the poleaxes?

 

Cheers

I run Shields and picks for all my Vulkites.

I prefer Poleaxes for bigger units of HGB and Broadaxes for smaller units. I have a big unit of Poleaxe armed HGB and am working towards a second 10man unit with broadaxes.

Edited by Azhrar
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Thenord said:

Thanks mate!

So when I have 30, I should maybe go for 20 with picks n' shield for objective/tanking and 10 with double axes for screen/throw at something?

How about heartguard berzerkers. I see a lot of guys using broadaxes, are they really better than the potential 2 MW of the poleaxes?

 

Cheers

That’s what I do (sometimes 2 units of 10 with axes and a unit of 20 with shields if I’m running a warrior kinband).
 

For Hearthguard the pole axes can cause scary amounts of damage in spikes, but broad axes are more consistent. I actually prefer the broad axes most of the time, although pole axes will generally scare your opponent more- especially if it’s a big unit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is a lot to ask, but I was wondering if someone could help me put together a decent 1000 point list.  I already have the following models (not all painted yet):

1 x Auric Runesmiter

1 x Auric Runeson on Magmadroth

1 x Auric Runefather

1 x Auric Runemaster

1 x Battlesmith

1 x Doomseeker

1 x Grimwrath Berzerker

5 x Hearthguard Berzerkers

5 x Auric Hearthguard

20 x Vulkite Berzerkers

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

SG

Link to post
Share on other sites

With what you have  listed there, I'd run the following:

Greyfyrd Lodge, Realm: Ghyran

Leaders: Runefather, general with the greyfyrd trait and artifact ( name escapes me at the moment)

Runesmither with pray of ash and the forge key

Battlesmith with the artifcate that increases his bubble to 18"

Battleline 

2x10 Vulkites

1x5 Auric Hearthguard, Id take them over the berzerkers to help protect your heroes and give a little shooting

other: 2x grimwraith berzerkers.  Just run your doomseeker as a grimwraith, doomseekers are hot garbage in comparison

Give one of you grimwraiths the ghyrstrike to make him 2+/2+

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, CentralKarma said:

With what you have  listed there, I'd run the following:

Greyfyrd Lodge, Realm: Ghyran

Leaders: Runefather, general with the greyfyrd trait and artifact ( name escapes me at the moment)

Runesmither with pray of ash and the forge key

Battlesmith with the artifcate that increases his bubble to 18"

Battleline 

2x10 Vulkites

1x5 Auric Hearthguard, Id take them over the berzerkers to help protect your heroes and give a little shooting

other: 2x grimwraith berzerkers.  Just run your doomseeker as a grimwraith, doomseekers are hot garbage in comparison

Give one of you grimwraiths the ghyrstrike to make him 2+/2+

 

I'd agree with this, but use Vorstag or Hermdar lodge. Greyfyrd Command Ability is too situational and rarely worth the CP while the other two are very useful most turns- imo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheNotebookGM said:

I'd agree with this, but use Vorstag or Hermdar lodge. Greyfyrd Command Ability is too situational and rarely worth the CP while the other two are very useful most turns- imo. 

My thinking was that the list lacked a real hammer unit, so running the 2 grimwraiths as a 'unit' and activating them together will function as that, and who doesn't love some hero hammer?  

I normally run Hermdar for my lists but I've got a few units of hearthguard has my hammers

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 1:48 PM, CentralKarma said:

With what you have  listed there, I'd run the following:

Greyfyrd Lodge, Realm: Ghyran

Leaders: Runefather, general with the greyfyrd trait and artifact ( name escapes me at the moment)

Runesmither with pray of ash and the forge key

Battlesmith with the artifcate that increases his bubble to 18"

Battleline 

2x10 Vulkites

1x5 Auric Hearthguard, Id take them over the berzerkers to help protect your heroes and give a little shooting

other: 2x grimwraith berzerkers.  Just run your doomseeker as a grimwraith, doomseekers are hot garbage in comparison

Give one of you grimwraiths the ghyrstrike to make him 2+/2+

 

 

On 11/11/2019 at 12:56 PM, TheNotebookGM said:

I'd agree with this, but use Vorstag or Hermdar lodge. Greyfyrd Command Ability is too situational and rarely worth the CP while the other two are very useful most turns- imo. 

Thank you both for your recommendations!  I really appreciate you taking the time to write these for me.

SG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have suggestions on Fyreslayers vs. Shootcast?  Is it just a tough match without skewing towards it... adding extra underground Hearthguard, etc...?

Edit: For context, I am helping my Father-in-law as he is really getting into AoS.  He's competitive by nature, but a deeply good sport, so I was surprised when his first 2000pt game at a store was against someone who brought the 9 Longstrike, all shooty Stormcast, didn't offer a handshake, etc...

On paper I would've been sure my Dad-in-law had the win.  He was rocking the big Zerker blobs and foot heroes, and had a small unit of the shooter-Hearthguard as ablative wounds for his heroes.  From what he says he thinks giving up first round hurt him as the army took out well above average numbers of Berserkers, which put him on a perpetual backfoot.  No one ever got the double turn either, so it was just attrition.

Any suggestions I can offer him?  I want him to know he didn't get a ****** of an army, far from, but that there are just plain good and tough match-ups in this hobby too.

Edited by Neomaxim
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...