AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

More and more i'm finding alot of Meeting Engagement games are about denying objectives to the enemy and trying to get ahead on kills each round, especially if you mind your save bonuses well. I find  every time I try to be proactive by the time i get there my back line gets summoned on, and we just dont have the bodies to cover both at 1k, especially with split deployments breaking synergies. 

What is your strategy for winning Meeting Engagements on a 4" move?

2 hours ago, TheNotebookGM said:

More and more i'm finding alot of Meeting Engagement games are about denying objectives to the enemy and trying to get ahead on kills each round, especially if you mind your save bonuses well. I find  every time I try to be proactive by the time i get there my back line gets summoned on, and we just dont have the bodies to cover both at 1k, especially with split deployments breaking synergies. 

What is your strategy for winning Meeting Engagements on a 4" move?

I’ve only played a handful of ME games but I’ve been thinking Magmadroth and a runesmiter to deepstrik a unit (although I’m not 100% clear we can use the runesmiter deployment). If not, might need an allied wizard and soul scream bridge (which seems overcosted currently).

1 hour ago, DrDemento said:

I’ve only played a handful of ME games but I’ve been thinking Magmadroth and a runesmiter to deepstrik a unit (although I’m not 100% clear we can use the runesmiter deployment). If not, might need an allied wizard and soul scream bridge (which seems overcosted currently).

You can deepstrike with Runesmiter, just need him and the unit to be in the same group, so when time comes to set the up by the battleplans rules, set them aside and deploy on your next movement phase as pr usal.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 11:35 PM, Clan's Cynic said:

Painting question. I'm trying to achieve the Vostarg Lodge look, but the metal is throwing me off. According to all of the guides it's Retributor/Liberator Armour in the same way you paint Stormcast. The problem is in those guides the end result is inevitably a lot brighter and... well, gold than on most of the website/Battletome pictures, where it seems a more toned down than that, almost a bronze or copper colour. 

Any suggestions?

Try a Metallic Bronze Sharpie.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2019 at 4:57 AM, Clan's Cynic said:

That's pretty much what all the guides advise, which is why I'm trying to go a different route.

After some digging I think I'll try Balthasar Gold and highlight it with Liberator/Stormhost

Thanks though.

These guys haven't been highlighted or anything yet. All the gold parts were done with a Bronze Sharpie.

20190816_070638.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jmason said:

I recently acquired a start collecting box. What is the recommended build for the Magmadroth?

If at all possible, magnetize it so you can switch between the options. If not, I would recommend the runefather on magmadroth; it is by far my most used option, almost an autoinclude in my lists honestly, and seems to be the more popular option  by the community.

Edited by Qrow
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the white dwarf fyreslayer content, what are peoples thoughts on Bael-Grimnir? For only 20 points more thank a regular runefather on magmadroth he gets some decent upgrades, but I struggle with not having him be the general as you lose HGB as battleline

1 hour ago, Qrow said:

Regarding the white dwarf fyreslayer content, what are peoples thoughts on Bael-Grimnir? For only 20 points more thank a regular runefather on magmadroth he gets some decent upgrades, but I struggle with not having him be the general as you lose HGB as battleline

I'm not sure you do? He's keyworded as an Auric Runefather so it should still count, no?

As far as my take on it, I fancy the Kinband but don't see using the rest.

My question: can you mix a reg forge brethren with a Vorstag Kinband?

Hello everyone, I wanted to start a new army of sigmar, the Fyreslayers call me a lot of attention, but I wanted to ask you how you see them in competitive, that is, when I resume warhammer, they were not very good and I don't know how they were left now with the changes

Thank you!

2 hours ago, TheNotebookGM said:

I'm not sure you do? He's keyworded as an Auric Runefather so it should still count, no?

As far as my take on it, I fancy the Kinband but don't see using the rest.

My question: can you mix a reg forge brethren with a Vorstag Kinband?

If taken with Vostarg as the lodge I wouldn't see why not, if not... seems like rules as intended no, but as written there is no restriction.

To clarify, I guess what I'm struggling with is that, if you take Bael-Grimnir and make him the general, you don't get the run and charge command trait, as he is a named character. Are his bonuses worth an extra 20 points on top of a regular RLoMD, as well as losing the benefit of the Vostarg command trait?

Edit: just re-read the white dwarf battalions, the vostarg warrior kinband specifies a "Vostarg Auric Runson", so I would say you cannot use it outside of a Vostarg lodge list. The Vostarg  forge brethren however does not specify that restriction.

Edited by Qrow

54 minutes ago, Qrow said:

Are his bonuses worth an extra 20 points on top of a regular RLoMD, as well as losing the benefit of the Vostarg command trait?

Jeez, I didn't even think of that! I'd say definitely not then- that's the entire spiciness of Vostarg, unless you run someone else as General, I usually use my Battlesmith so they footies stay in the bubble. 

On 8/16/2019 at 5:50 PM, zoso87 said:

Hello everyone, I wanted to start a new army of sigmar, the Fyreslayers call me a lot of attention, but I wanted to ask you how you see them in competitive, that is, when I resume warhammer, they were not very good and I don't know how they were left now with the changes

Thank you!

They are quite good. The most competitive build right now is a big block of 30 hearthguard in Vorstag that will delete everything it touch while tanking the entire world, but every combination and themed list, even if not "top 10 tournament worthy" will be solid, because there isn't any bad unit in the army. Even the runeson on foot and the doomseeker (arguably the weakest ones), are still very good for their cost.

On 8/17/2019 at 6:17 PM, ledha said:

They are quite good. The most competitive build right now is a big block of 30 hearthguard in Vorstag that will delete everything it touch while tanking the entire world, but every combination and themed list, even if not "top 10 tournament worthy" will be solid, because there isn't any bad unit in the army. Even the runeson on foot and the doomseeker (arguably the weakest ones), are still very good for their cost.

Thank you very much for your response, what initial combos do you recommend with the Fyreslayers?

Is there an alternative miniature that serves as a proxy for Hearthguard Berzerkers?

On 8/19/2019 at 2:41 AM, zoso87 said:

Thank you very much for your response, what initial combos do you recommend with the Fyreslayers?

Is there an alternative miniature that serves as a proxy for Hearthguard Berzerkers?

There isn't anything I'd find satisfying personally, this army is expensive to get into unfortunately. Took me 3 years to get to a 2k list I feel happy with at an acceptable spending rate. I also did some trading and such. I'd suggest trying to find lots on Ebay or some other such site. Reddits miniswap can also be helpful. 

3 hours ago, snaga said:

So what lodge are you running? I play mainly Hermdar and want to start playing Vostrag.

I play mostly Vostarg, that first turn run and charge carries a big weight in my list-writing- and their Warrior Kinband is Fyre. 

Greyfyrd is my 2nd choice to grab Nulsidian and Ash-Cloud Rune, but once I pick up 2 Magsons i'll probably start toying around with a 3-Mag Lofnir Forge Brethren list. 

I'll probably play with Hermdar a bit once I get my Vorstarg list right where I want it for tournament play. 

Just beginning to collect some Stunties. 

I currently have 1 Magmadroth, but I just love the model so I plan to pick up another 2 and roll with a Lofnir Lodge 

Does anyone have any experience with the Lofnir Lodge and how they found it went? And how does it stack up to other Behemoth based lists like BoK Tyrants and FEC TG parties?

Edited by jazman84
Corrected Lodge name

Huh how interesting, so theres new game called Conquest Last Argument of Kings and they got dwarfs on the way.

One of which is a regiment called Flame Berserkers which are dwarfs...on fire.

(though if I'm honest they look like you could use them as chaos dwarfs rather than fyreslayers)

Spoiler

68780358_2253352361642243_12857200680380

On 8/23/2019 at 4:46 PM, jazman84 said:

Just beginning to collect some Stunties. 

I currently have 1 Magmadroth, but I just love the model so I plan to pick up another 2 and roll with a Lofnir Lodge 

Does anyone have any experience with the Lofnir Lodge and how they found it went? And how does it stack up to other Behemoth based lists like BoK Tyrants and FEC 

I used to and I found them super useful but then I got an idea in my head about KO Auric hearthguard and clipped them up. Especially at 100 points they are pretty useful to grab objectives and take the last couple of wounds off of heroes.