AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Won my first 2 games with my 1k hermdar army! Fyreslayers are really fun. 

Now, I want to expand my army to 2k and i got a list in mind with the units i own. Please give me feedback on how to improve (and the reason why) if you think something is off. 

LEADERS

Runefather on mag

Runemaster 

Battlesmith 

Runesmiter 

Knight-Incantor (allies) 

BATTLELINE

10x VB 

10x VB 

10x HGB 

20x HGB 

BATTALION 

Lords of the lodge 

Why this list? 

- 20x HGB in the battalion, or should i use 30? Not sure on the unit sizes for these, please share your opinion! 

- The VB will be used as objective campers and/or screen for the HGB. 

- Incantor for some well needed anti-magic

So, what you think?  Would love to hear from more experienced players! 

Edited by Kimbo

Hi guys, I am playing my first FS game Sunday.  I went with Greyfyrd (just based on what I own / have painted).  For "Battle-scarred Veteran", this also applies to my magmadroth attacks right? Since it is a command trait and not an artefact, and doesn't explicitly say "not the mount"?

10 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Hi guys, I am playing my first FS game Sunday.  I went with Greyfyrd (just based on what I own / have painted).  For "Battle-scarred Veteran", this also applies to my magmadroth attacks right? Since it is a command trait and not an artefact, and doesn't explicitly say "not the mount"?

Battle-scarred Veteran is a command trait, so it will not effect any mount attacks.

Mounts cannot benefit from command traits or artefacts. They can benefit from everything else (unless otherwise noted).

Edited by PJetski

I know since they didn't get points in the GHB they aren't likely to be allowed in tournaments but this is filth and I thought I'd share. 

Looking at the screenshot I'd actually change the prayer out to Prayer of Ash for a slightly higher Shardfist Pelt chance. 

Still though, 3 drops, plenty of firepower, Vostarg run and charge and big first turn move, and then the extra attack from the kinband. Idea is to run the mags together, using the general to give the shardfist runeson reroll hits and use ranged attacks. Plenty of 1st turn command points and some cheeky blocking tricks with the wall. 

What do you all think?

Screenshot_20190721-162803_Drive.jpg

4 minutes ago, TheNotebookGM said:

I know since they didn't get points in the GHB they aren't likely to be allowed in tournaments but this is filth and I thought I'd share. 

Looking at the screenshot I'd actually change the prayer out to Prayer of Ash for a slightly higher Shardfist Pelt chance. 

Still though, 3 drops, plenty of firepower, Vostarg run and charge and big first turn move, and then the extra attack from the kinband. Idea is to run the mags together, using the general to give the shardfist runeson reroll hits and use ranged attacks. Plenty of 1st turn command points and some cheeky blocking tricks with the wall. 

What do you all think?

Screenshot_20190721-162803_Drive.jpg

The new matched play rules in the GHB 2019 says you can only buy 1 command point :) 

36 minutes ago, Kristensen said:

Ah yes, sorry havent had my morning coffee yet! 

No worries friend. It is a shame it won't see tournament play. The GHB version is nothing to sneer at though!

Screenshot_20190724-011249_Drive.jpg

Though I might switch Cinder Crest or Coal Heart out on the Magmadroth just to see what works best. 

Edited by TheNotebookGM

Hey guys, I currently only have the fyreslayers starterbox and I want to make a 1k list. Is there any alternative besides buying more fyreslayers, like any good allies? Also, any heroes from the starterbox i should not use? Thinking of putting the runefather on the magmadroth atm :)

12 minutes ago, Icefighter said:

Hey guys, I currently only have the fyreslayers starterbox and I want to make a 1k list. Is there any alternative besides buying more fyreslayers, like any good allies? Also, any heroes from the starterbox i should not use? Thinking of putting the runefather on the magmadroth atm :)

I would invest the time to magnetize the heroes so you can change. I regret choosing the runefather because i want to use two runesons on mag instead. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Icefighter said:

I'm with @Sauriv on this one, I rue the day I didn't magnetize the Runesmiter platform, and i'm not generally one that trucks in that sort of thing. 

If you don't want to run pure Fyreslayers I'd suggest waiting for the Free Cities book and seeing which (if any) cities include them!

Got a tournament coming up, and trying to hammer out my list.  Here's what I've got so far:

Lodge: Vostarg

Leaders:

- Runefather: General, Fiery Endurance, Vosaxe

- Runemaster: Searing Heat

- Runesmiter: Prayer of Ash

- Battlesmith: Icon of the Ancestors

Battleline:
- 30 Hearthguard Berzerkers: Broadaxes

- 10 Vulkites: War picks and Shields

- 10 Vulkites: Handaxes

Other:

- 15 Auric Hearthguard

-Grimwrath 

Lords of Lodge Battalion

Toying with the idea of dropping the runesmiter and 5 Aurics, and putting the runefather on a magmadroth instead

1 hour ago, CentralKarma said:

Got a tournament coming up, and trying to hammer out my list.  Here's what I've got so far:

Lodge: Vostarg

Leaders:

- Runefather: General, Fiery Endurance, Vosaxe

- Runemaster: Searing Heat

- Runesmiter: Prayer of Ash

- Battlesmith: Icon of the Ancestors

Battleline:
- 30 Hearthguard Berzerkers: Broadaxes

- 10 Vulkites: War picks and Shields

- 10 Vulkites: Handaxes

Other:

- 15 Auric Hearthguard

-Grimwrath 

Lords of Lodge Battalion

Toying with the idea of dropping the runesmiter and 5 Aurics, and putting the runefather on a magmadroth instead

I know it seems counterintuitive but I'd actually split your Hearthguard up also, you're going to struggle with high-objective games, especially against summoning or endless spells. If you break up your units a little you could send 5 Aurics, 10 HGB, and the Grimwrath as their own little spiky task force. 

13 hours ago, TheNotebookGM said:

I know it seems counterintuitive but I'd actually split your Hearthguard up also, you're going to struggle with high-objective games, especially against summoning or endless spells. If you break up your units a little you could send 5 Aurics, 10 HGB, and the Grimwrath as their own little spiky task force. 

Never thought about that little spiky task force. Thanks for the idea 

Hi everyone. 

I'm gonna play a slaanesh player tomorrow with my Hermdar slayers. 

Can someone explain the activation war between these armies with all the fight first stuff, I am confused...

Hermdar CA fight before anyone VS slaanesh making me fight last on a 2+ or 4+...

Thanks in advance! 

3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Hi everyone. 

Can someone explain the activation war between these armies with all the fight first stuff, I am confused...

Hermdar CA fight before anyone VS slaanesh making me fight last on a 2+ or 4+...

Thanks in advance! 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/21/who-fights-first/

TL;DR: Hermdar CA cancels out the Locus

4 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Hi everyone. 

Thanks in advance! 

To recap- Think of the combat phase as three mini phases- 

start of phase

normal phase

end of phase

if an ability says it happens at the start of the phase, it happens in the first mini phase, then normal combat starts. If both players have start of phase abilities, then the player whose turn it is uses all their start abilities, then their opponent does.

My understanding of it is (based on the contorted epitome’s horrible fascination ability vs the Hermdar command ability)

On your turn you activate your start of phase abilities first- meaning you spend your command point and your berserkers fight. Then the Slaanesh player activates their start of phase abilities like horrible fascination. They’re welcome to roll for the berserkers, but as they’ve already fought it won’t make any difference- it can’t cancel out with the berserkers attacks as they’ve already happened. 

In the Slaanesh player’s turn they activate horrible fascination first. If it’s successful, but in your start of phase you spend a command point on the Hermdar ability, the two cancel out and the berserkers fight during the normal phase as usual. 

Lords of the lodge I’d be less sure about, but I assume in the first example (your turn) the berserkers second pile in would have to happen at the end of the phase- again the two abilities don’t cancel out as the Hermdar ability has already been resolved. In the second example (Slaanesh turn) I assume the abilities do cancel and both pile ins would happen in the normal phase, but there’s an argument for the second pile in waiting until the end of the phase. 

Does that sound right to everyone? I don’t know what the 2+ ability is, but if it’s a start of combat phase ability as well it would follow the same rules. 

Slaanesh Locus of Diversion (the main ability that makes you fight at the end of the combat phase) activates at the end of the Charge phase, not at the start of the Combat phase.

Horrible Fascination (the ability from the Contorted Epitome) activates at the start of the combat phase.

Edited by PJetski