AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

23 hours ago, jhamslam said:

Whats the consensus on HearthGuard Berzerkers weapon loadouts?

Poleaxes for MWs or Broadaxes?

I’ve had massive success with poleaxes. Played a tournament Saturday where my unit of 10 Hearthguards took out two Morghast Harbingers on the hit rolls alone. The opponent brought them back and charged for a revenge attack, I lost one model, and they took the two out again doing 8 MW on the hit roll and cleaned up on the wound roll. That unit also took out 8 Khorne Bloodbound in a second matchup, and reduced a unit of 30 Daemonettes to 9 in a third (a turn after the unit cleaned up his Keeper of Secrets - 7 MW). 

I cant speak to the success of the broadaxes, but I am not sad about my choice to equip poleaxes at all. By the end of the tournament, the consensus was that no body would attempt to charge the Hearthguard again unless absolutely necessary. 

In terms of raw damage output without considering your enemy profile, the Broadaxes are better on average. Once you start factoring in armor it gets a bit more complicated. Both are good but they can be situationally more useful.

Poleaxes are really good against units with 3+ saves or better, and once you reach a critical mass of poleaxes you can usually wipe units out with the mortal wounds alone. This is really useful against big monsters that only have 12-14 wounds. They are also far less effected by hit debuffs, but less effected by bonuses to their accuracy (eg. Runic Empowerment). However, Poleaxes lose a lot of their impact against units that can ignore the Mortal Wounds on a 5+, or against units with 30+ wounds since you won't get the killing blow right away. Great against Stormcast, Seraphon, and Nighthaunt

Broadaxes pull ahead against units with 4+ saves or worse. They also benefit tremendously from buffs (RRWounds, +1 Rend) but are really awful against units that ignore Rend (Nighthaunt, Bastiladon, etc.). Great against Daughters of Khaine, Skaven, Legions of Nagash, Flesheater Courts, and other Fyreslayers

TL;DR:

Broadaxes if you are using small units or in big squads with Runic Empowerment

Polaxes if you are using a unit of 20+

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 3

I'll chime in that in an all-comers list I'll always been including at least a 10 man Poleaxe unit since I got crushed by a 3+ save  rr 1 ethereal vampire lord on zombie dragon once when I went all broadaxe. There are some things in this game we just need those mortal wounds to crack. Currently I'm running a 15 man poleaxe and a 15 man broadaxe, only got one game in so far but it went well.

For abilities like icon of grimnir, prayer of ash and other "wholly within" type requirements, do the units need to remain wholly within range of the models to keep the buff? For example, if a unit is affected by both the icon of grimnir and searing ash during the hero phase, but then charges outside of the 12" bubbles of those abilites, will it keep the buffs until the next hero phase?

Edited by Qrow

16 minutes ago, Qrow said:

For abilities like icon of grimnir, prayer of ash and other "wholly within" type requirements, do the units need to remain wholly within range of the models to keep the buff? For example, if a unit is affected by both the icon of grimnir and searing ash during the hero phase, but then charges outside of the 12" bubbles of those abilites, will it keep the buffs until the next hero phase?

It depends on how the ability is worded. 

Icon of Grimnir does not require models to stay in range, but it's generally a good idea to stay in that range so you don't start the hero phase out of range.

Searing Ash does not require the unit to stay in range. Prayer of Ash does not require units to stay in range.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:22 AM, Qrow said:

What changes, if any, do you expect fyreslayers to get with the july errata? I have been slowly growing a Fyreslayer army to surprise my LGS and have close to the a full 2000 points built (painting is still taking a while), but I haven't had the chance to really playtest them yet.

The only thing I have heard others say is that the horde discount on hearthguard units might go.

I really can’t see how a book that just came out would already have its points adjusted. That seems rather abrupt since the it’s barely lost the new book shine. Hope they leave us alone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scythian said:

I really can’t see how a book that just came out would already have its points adjusted. That seems rather abrupt since the it’s barely lost the new book shine. Hope they leave us alone.

They announced on the GHB matched play page that there will be a PDF update for all the latest armies (not including slaanesh). I too worry about being knee-jerked into non-competetiveness, especially given the changes suggested by the community, but given how conservative the GHB changes were and the fact the book is barely two months old I think any changes will be minor.

Edited by Qrow

On 6/25/2019 at 10:53 AM, Aden said:

@Blisterfeet

Ash-cloud Rune: lets you unbind 2 spells a turn on your runesmiter but if you're using realms Ghyran has the Verdant Mantle which will let you dispel endless spells and unbind. 

I wouldn't ally in allies unless I could provide some synergy for them or thought they looked super duper cool. 

Knight-Incantor auto-unbind is extremely valuable.  Worth the 140pts alone.  Stopping that crippling debuff or hand of dust without having to roll a dice is awesome.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 8:38 AM, Qrow said:

I hope they don't go up in price and lose the horde bonus, I feel that would be overkill. They didn't even nerf DoK witch aelves that hard, are hearthguard that much worse?

Also, are any of the lodges considered cheesy? I'm planning on using Hermdar because I like the objective focused buffs (I forget the objectives to much, this will force me to stick to them), but I would prefer to avoid being 'that guy' if possible.

I do t think any of the lodges are considered cheesy, but some are definitely more competitive than others. Hermdar is one of the more competitive. Battleshock kills Fyreslayers, and to ignore it so much of the time with Hermdar is exceptional. It’s my favorite Lodge in the book. Of course, that’s only my opinion. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PJetski said:

Incantor is definitely a great choice.

You can also bring an Arcane Dais for 30 points to give the Incantor another unbind, +1 save, and a 12" fly move (which can make it very easy to get in cover for another +1 save).

I can‘t find any rule of the dais arcanum that allows a second unbind

I just had my first semi serious game at 1000pts versus 2 terrorgheist gristlegore. The highlight of the match was when after the flame spitter dinged a royal terrorgheist  for 2d my grim wrath charged and actually not only survived 2 rounds of attacks by the ghiest but had his retaliation and killed it in one combat phase ( normal and after fight fighting )

My  predictions so far. HB are going up in points for sure due to everyone crying about them. LoTL might go up as well. 

In light of that Vulkites and Mags are probably coming down due to their lack of being included cuz of HB taking the spotlight. 

Side note: how much better is the White Dwarf battalions and named hero?

17 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

My  predictions so far. HB are going up in points for sure due to everyone crying about them. LoTL might go up as well. 

In light of that Vulkites and Mags are probably coming down due to their lack of being included cuz of HB taking the spotlight. 

Side note: how much better is the White Dwarf battalions and named hero?

White dwarf hero is a slight step above a regular runefather on magmadroth, command trait allows a hero to immediately fight with all its weapons in the hero phase, but only one a 4+, one extra attack with its grandaxe and a 5+ to inflict the -1 to hit. So it is a slight trade off, especially when you factor in the other potential general traits and artifacts.

The battalions are meh, lords of vostarg has the same requirements as LotL but instead of attacking twice in the combat phase, you get to use one command ability for free.

Given how reserved the changes to other factions have been in GHB2019, I wouldn't expect more than a 20 point increase to HGB, especially with how limited the unit variety is in FS. The FS battletome has only been out for two months and there are far more dominating allegiances creating problems right now.

• Like 1

So, having looked around a bit I'm thinking up lists/ideas for my next army and cobbled together this list for fyreslayers...

Any thoughts? Good/bad?

Main idea would be to buff the bigger berzerkers unit to a 2+ save with prayer+banner+auric batallion and then the 5 man berzerkers can babysit the other aurics and characters. Relics/etc tbc

Just wondering if it's any good 😅

Screenshot_2019-06-28-06-49-46.png

Edited by Mr Spadge

7 minutes ago, Drillz said:

Can we use the battalion and character in the new WD in matched play

Yep, the have a point cost. I like them and have a Bael-grimnir + lords of vostarg list I will be trying out once my army is fully painted, depending on the july errata they may become even more interesting.

Link with pictures of the WD stuff: https://m.imgur.com/a/R5OW4AY

Edited by Qrow
the pictures had terrible resolution when uploaded, added a direct link with better quality images
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, TheNotebookGM said:

I feel like we are in stasis until we see those points, my fellow duardin. 

20190703_023624.jpg

Brother, you ain’t lying! I literally have 30 broad axe berserkers, characters, pizza oven, and this complete stall in my army design. I’m hoping they will release the faq this weekend.