AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

thanks for the response and as Azamar said 1 trait per battalion. Ill be running the list tomorrow.  I have decent mobility so point takings should be okay and i can pack a punch. I hope the liat does well cause it looks so nice on the table

So I changed my plans slightly and am going to PaxU instead of Da Boyz since the former will have more activites for my partner to do whilst I do battle. Still have a few boxes to buy before I can get it on the table but I am pretty sure this is what i'll end up bringing. Doubling up on smiths, grimwraths, and casters lets me run either one blob of doom or two smaller squads of Greyfyrd Devastation while a unit of vulkites and the Runefather provide my first-strike capability. 

TheBuzzardsofGyrforge.pdf

Hey guys, what do i need for starting a competetive fyreslayers army. Starting with 1000 points and evolving from that. Whats the fyreslayer meta so far? Have the battletome here.

are vulkites worth it? For me it looks like heathguards look much better.

Are 2 magmadroth in 1000 points competitive? Really like the idea of a magmadroth heavy army.

i

Edited by Erdemo86

11 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

Hey guys, what do i need for starting a competetive fyreslayers army. Starting with 1000 points and evolving from that. Whats the fyreslayer meta so far? Have the battletome here.

are vulkites worth it? For me it looks like heathguards look much better.

Are 2 magmadroth in 1000 points competitive? Really like the idea of a magmadroth heavy army.

i

Vulkites are definitevely worth it, especially used in units of 10 as screens or to hold objectives. However, the best unit Fyreslayers have are the herthguard berzerkers, which I usually take above vulkites, especially in 1000 point games.

I've had some really good success using:

Runefather

Runesmiter

20 Hearthguard Berzerkers with poleaxes

10 Hearthguard Berzerkers with broadaxes

Runic Fyrewall or alternatively Zharrgron Flame Spitter

With all the Buffs going off you can get your big berzerker unit up to a 3++ rerolling 1's which makes them almost unkillable, while dishing out loads of damage

1 hour ago, Lossen said:

Heathguard Berzerkers : how big unite's do people tend to have and what Weapon are best ( poleaxe or Broadaxe)?

As mentioned above I use both, however the big units (20-30) usually should run the poleaxes since their sheer amount of attacks will dish out a lot of mortal wounds

hope that helps 😊

What do you you guys think about this 1000 points list. Is it competetive or will i get smashed with it? Any comment and critic is welcome? Ideas to optimize this list? 

Which clan suits them best?

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Auric Runefather (100)
- General
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
Battlesmith (140)
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- Ancestral War-axe

Battleline
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- Handaxes & Slingshields

Units
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers(240)
- Broadaxes

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 20
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 70

Edited by Erdemo86

1 hour ago, Erdemo86 said:

What do you you guys think about this 1000 points list. Is it competetive or will i get smashed with it? Any comment and critic is welcome? Ideas to optimize this list? 

Which clan suits them best?

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Auric Runefather (100)
- General
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
Battlesmith (140)
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- Ancestral War-axe

Battleline
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- Handaxes & Slingshields

Units
- Broadaxes

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 20
Wounds: 70

Looks like Hermdar or Vorstag to me! 

1 hour ago, TheNotebookGM said:

Looks like Hermdar or Vorstag to me! 

Im thinking about playing Hermdar and cutting the runesmiter and adding 5 more hearthguards. What do you guys think?

with Hermdar+ Rune they can run 12 inch first turn and charge, do i need a runesmiter? Also runefather adds 1 to charge. And Hermdar adds 1 too.

Edited by Erdemo86

1 hour ago, Erdemo86 said:

with Hermdar+ Rune they can run 12 inch first turn and charge, do i need a runesmiter? Also runefather adds 1 to charge. And Hermdar adds 1 too.

If I cut anything from that list it'd be the runeson, the smiter is a great piece, can tend your forge, deepstrike, and the prayers are worth having at least one priest, for me at least. 

Then you could get a unit of HGB and another foot hero. Or two Grimwraths and the Fire Wall. 

Any thoughts on this as a starter 2k list? Still getting my head around the different heroes so may have some items on the wrong characters etc etc. Cheers. 

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Vostarg

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)
- General
- Trait: Fiery Endurance  
- Artefact: Vosaxe  
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
- Prayer: Searing Heat
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash
Battlesmith (140)
- Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon  

Battleline
30 x Hearthguard Berzerkers(600)
- Broadaxes
15 x Hearthguard Berzerkers(360)
- Broadaxes
- Broadaxes

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 140

26 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Any thoughts on this as a starter 2k list? Still getting my head around the different heroes so may have some items on the wrong characters etc etc. Cheers. 

- Lodge: Vostarg

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)
- General
- Trait: Fiery Endurance  
- Artefact: Vosaxe  
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
- Prayer: Searing Heat
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash
Battlesmith (140)
- Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon  

Battleline
30 x Hearthguard Berzerkers(600)
- Broadaxes
15 x Hearthguard Berzerkers(360)
- Broadaxes
- Broadaxes

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 140

The problem I see with this list is that you have too many hgb and too few heroes to support them. Hgb are great, no-one denies that, but their power is directly tied to the heroes that support them. The moment you face any army that has half decent sniping abilities, those 4 heroes are going to die like flies, leaving very weak and easy to kill hgb units (not to mention losing lotl in the progress). Another problem is that I don't see this list winning any objective games. You have basically 3 units in your entire army. You can't split your heroes and hgb 'cos that will leave both vulnerable. Furthermore hgb lack bodies and although they are good killers, they're no plague monks. Outside of the 30 man unit, it can easily take like 3 turns to kill 60 moonclan grots with the 10-15 hgb units (if not more, given their netters and -1 to hit).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

The problem I see with this list is that you have too many hgb and too few heroes to support them. Hgb are great, no-one denies that, but their power is directly tied to the heroes that support them. The moment you face any army that has half decent sniping abilities, those 4 heroes are going to die like flies, leaving very weak and easy to kill hgb units (not to mention losing lotl in the progress). Another problem is that I don't see this list winning any objective games. You have basically 3 units in your entire army. You can't split your heroes and hgb 'cos that will leave both vulnerable. Furthermore hgb lack bodies and although they are good killers, they're no plague monks. Outside of the 30 man unit, it can easily take like 3 turns to kill 60 moonclan grots with the 10-15 hgb units (if not more, given their netters and -1 to hit).

Thanks man. Any suggestions in that case? Start putting some Vulkites in and another hero?

10 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Thanks man. Any suggestions in that case? Start putting some Vulkites in and another hero?

Well if you want to have 30 hgb, then I think that you have 1 hgb unit too many. I would drop the 15 man unit from the list and replace it 2x10 vulkites. Combatwise those vulkites are worse than hgb but you can spread them out better and use them to hold/cap objectives, screen units etc. And while I personally love magmadroths and would never make a list without one I think this list could benefit from changing that magma to runefather on foot. This would free 180 points to your army (220 if you count the "leftovers" from the vulkites) which could be used to make one of the vulkite units bigger and magmic invocation or buy 5 aurics (to protect runefather and bsmith) and grimwrath berzerker to aid that other hgb unit. 

• Like 2

Hey guys,

I'm attending a 1k points tourney this weekend and would like to hear your ideas for a competitve 1k point list.

Currently I'm leaning towards the following list:

Hermdar

Runefather

Battlesmith

15 HGB with broadaxes

10 HGB with broadaxes

10 Vulkites with Axes and shields

What are your thoughts on that list? Do you have any suggestions for antoher list that might be more competitive?

35 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Has anyone any experience with magmapykes? Auric heartguard seems more and more appealing with the proheminence of unbeatable strike first twice monster.

Auric Hearthguard with the Lofnir lodge command ability are arguably the best unit in the battletome, and probably the best shooting unit in the game.

4 hours ago, kozokus said:

Has anyone any experience with magmapykes? Auric heartguard seems more and more appealing with the proheminence of unbeatable strike first twice monster.

I agree with @PJetski. I played a game vs. a brutal Nurgle list the other day. Lost, but fiat turn, I used 5 Auric Hearthguard to deep strike behind his Glottkin. They did 8 wounds the first shot, and a charging unit of Vulkites put in another 5. Neither of us expected that kind of hit, and now he’s really afraid of the Aurics while they have my respect and a place in my lists. 

I've used Aurics frequently against keepers of secrets and they just melt them away (even without lofnir command). They are simply insane against monsters and not horrible against anyone else (not too bad melee either). With the hero protection on top of that, I basically build all my lists so that I have minimum of 10 of them in each.

10 hours ago, Grudgebearer said:

Hey guys,

I'm attending a 1k points tourney this weekend and would like to hear your ideas for a competitve 1k point list.

Currently I'm leaning towards the following list:

Hermdar

Runefather

Battlesmith

15 HGB with broadaxes

10 HGB with broadaxes

10 Vulkites with Axes and shields

What are your thoughts on that list? Do you have any suggestions for antoher list that might be more competitive?

I think hearthguard are a little dependent on having heroes nearby to really shine, so you might struggle against an army that can take out your two heroes quickly, especially magic heavy armies.

might it be worth trying to squeeze in an extra hero? Or having at least one unit of Auric Hearthguard to try and keep tour heroes on the table a little longer? 

9 hours ago, Azamar said:

I think hearthguard are a little dependent on having heroes nearby to really shine, so you might struggle against an army that can take out your two heroes quickly, especially magic heavy armies.

might it be worth trying to squeeze in an extra hero? Or having at least one unit of Auric Hearthguard to try and keep tour heroes on the table a little longer? 

That's a good point, I could switch out the runefather and the big hearthguard unit for a runefather on droth, making the list looking like this:

Hermdar

Runefather on droth 

-ash horn ancient 

Battlesmith

10 HGB with broadaxes 

10 Vulkites with Handaxes and shields

That would give me a pretty tanky droth with a 3+ save rerolling 1s and making the rest of the army more tanky as well. However, I will have less damage Output. 

I'd love to hear Your thoughts on this list and I am open to any kind of suggestions to further improve that tournament list, to make a good showing for our Faction. 

I've also considered using a runesmiter and some invocations, however I don't know whether that would provide enough damage output.

Thanks for any advice and help guys :)!

On 5/30/2019 at 7:37 AM, Grudgebearer said:

That's a good point, I could switch out the runefather and the big hearthguard unit for a runefather on droth, making the list looking like this:

Hermdar

Runefather on droth 

-ash horn ancient 

Battlesmith

10 HGB with broadaxes 

That would give me a pretty tanky droth with a 3+ save rerolling 1s and making the rest of the army more tanky as well. However, I will have less damage Output. 

I'd love to hear Your thoughts on this list and I am open to any kind of suggestions to further improve that tournament list, to make a good showing for our Faction. 

I've also considered using a runesmiter and some invocations, however I don't know whether that would provide enough damage output.

Thanks for any advice and help guys :)!

Personally I´d run

Leaders
Auric Runefather (100)
- General
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
Auric Runesmiter (120)  OR Battlesmith because you seem to like them :) (will bring it to exactly 1000 points)
- Runic Iron

Battleline
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (240)
- Broadaxes
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- Handaxes & Slingshields

Units
10 x Auric Hearthguard (240) OR 2nd unit of 10 Hearthguard Berzerkers

Total: 980 / 1000

It offers tactical flexibility, some screen (Vulkites), some shooting, good amount of melee power. I think it´s a well rounded force.

Edited by Hannibal

So, with the advent of mercenaries, I may have finally be pushed into getting some Fyeslayers, as they can benefit more than just my order.

Since my other armies are all Death right now, some ranged seems good. So my initial thought was: 

10 Auric Heartguard and 1 Runesmiter. 

This would let me deepstrike the Aurics where I needed them and even give me access to the Invocations! Does this seen like a solid Ally inclusion, especially into something like Legions of Nagash or Flesh eater courts? Would love to blast those gorgeous Keepers of Secrets before they blender my poor Terrorgheists...

Sadly, the Smiter only comes in the Magmadroth kit, so my model options are:

Conver a Smiter from the Chosen Axes or something

or

Buy the Start Collecting and maybe user the cannons from the Iron Drakes to make Aurics from the Vulkites? Would this even work? Could I position the Vulkites into gun wielding position properly?

Thanks for all the advice. One way or another, more Duardin shall be in my life! lol

• LOVE IT! 1