AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Forrix said:

There could be changes to our allegiance ability, command traits, or artifacts (I haven't found spoilers for those) but I'm not hopeful. I feel like the edition change was just a big missed opportunity for Fyreslayers. Poor Auric Runemaster really really could have used a reworked warscroll.

I saw pictures of them, same allegiance abilities, same command traits and same artifacts, ash plume only dispell endless espells and no other remarkable change...

2 hours ago, Tip4Tap said:

I pray there is a new book coming.

what lists have people got planned for 2000 points?

Im trying to figure out XD, my theory...alpha strike with kindband and 2 or 3 smitters...or 2 or 3 bubbles with heres in the middle of the bubble...

37 minutes ago, Ulfast said:

As magic seems to be a new big thing in aos2 and we cant do that, Im wondering which allies will you use for your fyreslayers to get some magic?

Has to be stormcast who at least have a selection of wizards now.  

Alternatively you can go runelord to try and shut everything down with +2 dispel. I'll probably go that route, as I think it fits more thematically for slayers. And I like the idea of ruining other people's fun and stopping spells they've paid points for! 

• Like 2

Question,  anyone have info on that Fyreslayer heraldry that looks like a Samurai helmet?

Between that and the oriental cues from Aqshy I was planning to do a Fyresamurai conversion in the future. Cut down the crests and use the dragon pieces and u-shaped metals, repurpose crests as neck and shoulder coverings while turning their axes into large naginatas. I really like the idea of a volcanic warlord fortress defended with lava spewing dragoncannons with perhaps Sylvaneth as allies from a mountain garden (likely will proxy with Stormcast scrolls for anything serious).

• Like 1

I havn't but I am going to play some games with fyreslayers next weekend against the filthiest lists you can think of (at the 6 Nations team tournament in Scotland) so I can report back if they are any good in AOS2. I really don't know, they where one of our (team Sweden) strongest lists in AOS1 but I had to change the list a bit, now it was 2210pt, and they have nerfed some strong aspects of fyreslayers, like examplar of the Ancestors that is now wholly within. But I think the list is still ok, but we will have to see.

Edited by Andreas

List submission is today so I can post the list tomorrow but in general there were two really strong ways to run fyreslayers in AOS1. Either a full kinband or 30 tunneling Aurics (and vulkites of course). I have played both lists but I think the 30 Aurics list was a bit stronger.

In AOS2 we dont really know yet.

Edited by Andreas

I played a couple of games at the weekend. Triumph and treachery against new nighthaunt and seraphon. 

We're definitely weaker but still have strong units - I still managed to win 1 game. 

Endless spells are strong, but they can still be used by us even though we don't have a wizard, so it's not completely op. I managed to use one to heal up my magma. 

Also, the artefact that gives +1 to hit, +1 to wound was Awsome on runedaddy on magma, especially when combined with the command trait to allow him to immediately attack a 2nd time. He became very killy for 260 points

I'd also say that as intimidating as the summoning can seem, it doesn't necessarily win objective based games. Seraphon player was able to summon a basildon by turn 3, but it didn't do anything. 

Overall, I feel like we have some pretty obvious limitations, but can still compete. Might be different at tournament level though 

Edited by Darren2607
  • Thanks 1

Ok the lists are submitted. I prefer to run lists were I attack with 30 tunneling Aurics. For that you need 30 Aurics, 30 Vulkites (the body guard for the weak Aurics) and 2 runesmiters. After that I like to have 2 more solid blocks of vulkites and a battlesmith to defend my home objectives and attack the middle. So this is the list we have so far.

2 Runesmiters

Battlesmith

3x30 Vulkites

30 Aurics

Now I used to have 290pt left but now I only have 80pt so this limits my options a lot. Here I would like a hero/general and I would prefer the runefather on foot but he is 100pt. So what options do I have, I have the runeson on foot with and ok command abillity and the grimwrath who have 6 wounds and a ward save. I go for the grimwrath because he is more durable and I am probably using command points for other stuff than the runesons command abillity anyway.

Exemplar of the ancestor is now a bit weeker but still the best command trait IMO so I put it in the grimwrath. 

Now we have the items, I could go for some magic defense but in the end I just go for something to keep my general alive a bit longer so I take the Ignax scales (4+ save against mortal wounds).

So that's is the list. It's a very durable but with no magic defense, and a bit too few (and too slow) units for some missions. I will struggle against some list and in some scenarios but 6 Nations is a team event with a draft system so I am hoping to dodge these matchups. ?

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 1

Id love to play 30 aurics but they just come on and disappear back off again in my experience to date, plus they need to be shooting at a unit with a hero within 5" to really get the benefit and its hard to get this done in a meaningful way. I'll still endeavour as I want to play them

1 hour ago, carrigher82 said:

Id love to play 30 aurics but they just come on and disappear back off again in my experience to date, plus they need to be shooting at a unit with a hero within 5" to really get the benefit and its hard to get this done in a meaningful way. I'll still endeavour as I want to play them

I have played them for a long time so I know how to place them not to die. Always behind a screen, never when you could lose a double turn, always within the IP bubble etc. (now when you have spare command points). I lose them maybe 1 out of 5 games or so.

I agree that they are not as dangerous when they pop up as they are when they are fully buffed up. But if you get them to survive for a battleround, I am pretty sure there are no longer any enemy units within 15" of them. ?

Edited by Andreas

ok so now since we had a chance to digest the new ghb our good old fyreslayer took a hit i.e. point increases, wholly within, command abilities that are less than stellar, and no more vulkite horde rules. what is the general game plan people are considering? 

here is my consideration list. Not sure on the magic items yet and I am wondering if magadroth are worth it... heck im nit sure if the runefather is worth it but below is what i got for competitive. So the game plan for the rune lord is clearly magic defence and the KO are for character and monster sniping. my vulkite amd runesmitter to teleport where needed and the vulkites, battle smith (reroll saves) and runefather hold the lines and basically smash face. thoughts?

fyreslayers 2000 pts

fyreslayer allegiance ability

heroes
Runefather on magmadroth (leader)
battle smith
runesmiter
grimwrath 

battleline
30 vulkite berzerkers war-pick and shield, hornblower

allies
rune lord
arkanaut company light sky hook x3

Edited by Bimli

Some very intersting list there and I really like your input Andreas. Will be intersting to hear how your tournament goes. Lets hope that our fyreslayers make a big success :)

Myself is right now painting full time to get some minaitures ready for a campagint that starts in ausgust in my gaming club. Hopefull I can soon play my first game too.  Then I will report back what I experinced and learned.

I can't see a way around us not taking at least a knight Incantor, if not also a Lord Exorcist as well.  I also see myself making my Army from Charmon to get access to the artifact that lets a hero gain an unbind attempt.  And then with 1 to 2 wizards in the group, might as well bring an endless spell or two.  The stormcast specific ones sound pretty awesome. 

11 hours ago, Ulfast said:

Some very intersting list there and I really like your input Andreas. Will be intersting to hear how your tournament goes. Lets hope that our fyreslayers make a big success :)

Myself is right now painting full time to get some minaitures ready for a campagint that starts in ausgust in my gaming club. Hopefull I can soon play my first game too.  Then I will report back what I experinced and learned.

I am happy with some success. It's a very though tournament and I have no idea how this list which worked really well in AOS1 will work now in AOS2 ? But I will report back.

On 7/4/2018 at 5:09 AM, Bimli said:

ok so now since we had a chance to digest the new ghb our good old fyreslayer took a hit i.e. point increases, wholly within, command abilities that are less than stellar, and no more vulkite horde rules. what is the general game plan people are considering? 

here is my consideration list. Not sure on the magic items yet and I am wondering if magadroth are worth it... heck im nit sure if the runefather is worth it but below is what i got for competitive. So the game plan for the rune lord is clearly magic defence and the KO are for character and monster sniping. my vulkite amd runesmitter to teleport where needed and the vulkites, battle smith (reroll saves) and runefather hold the lines and basically smash face. thoughts?

fyreslayers 2000 pts

heroes
battle smith
runesmiter
grimwrath 

battleline

allies
rune lord

Couple thoughts about that list:

First of all, the current allies rules prevents you from taking more than 1/4 of your units as allies in addition to that 400p limit. Since there's no 12 units in your list, this list would be illegal. Obviously easiest workaround would be to just fuse both arkanaut units in one big one.

However second thing is that I honestly feel some dispossessed infantry would work lot better than kharadron since you have runelord. Problem I see with runelord is that his unbind ability isn't good enough for justifying his point cost. Those buffs he gives are very strong but they're only for the dispossessed. Obviously if you don't have any dispossessed (and no intention of getting any) then I guess there's nothing much to do.

Edited by angrycontra

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:09 PM, Bimli said:

fyreslayers 2000 pts

heroes
battle smith
runesmiter
grimwrath 

battleline

allies
rune lord

My understanding from the FAQ that just came out is that unbind doesn't equal dispel so the rune lord would not be able to get rid of endless spells. I'd second merging the arkanauts together and maybe taking the guy that gives them +1 attack with a weapon?

you both raise very valid points. I was unaware the runelord was unable to dispel endless spells where can I find the faq? Also unaware of the 1/4  ally rule will need to have a re-read. 

I enough dispossed to blot out the sun lol which unit would you suggest adding? 

the KO are mainly there for their sky hooks for character sniping and longish range. I will maybe try my hand at the khemist with the arkanauts but then I will have no magic defence which was the only reason for the runelord....

Where is the 1/4 ally rule? I am not able to find this.

this unbinding of endless spells where is the rule that says a runelord or the like cant unbind????

Edited by Bimli

20 hours ago, Zirhark said:

I can't see a way around us not taking at least a knight Incantor, if not also a Lord Exorcist as well.  I also see myself making my Army from Charmon to get access to the artifact that lets a hero gain an unbind attempt.  And then with 1 to 2 wizards in the group, might as well bring an endless spell or two.  The stormcast specific ones sound pretty awesome. 

Take two units of Evocators. Then you get:

2 dispels per turn. 

Can dispel endless spells. 

Eqch can buff the other with their spell. 

Very good MW output.

Generally a good combat unit. 

I've had my start collecting for awhile, and I guess 2.0 is as good time as any to actually start building the army. 

With the vulkite berserkers, how are people building them? 

The Shields seem to good to pass up, also, is it just assumed that they all have the throwing ax? So pick, or hand ax? 

Thanks, and I look forward to exploring 2.0 with y'all.