AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

53 minutes ago, Azamar said:

With that many heroes wouldn’t Greyfyrd be a good choice of lodge? 

i wad thinking that at first but that +1 army wide charge is so good or the -1 to wound being by the general and the take the first turn combat ability. the GWB will be used to charge a unit and keep it separated or used as speed bumps like the gyro copters in the previous edition (b4 aos)

33 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

They updated the Azyr app. 

The Grimwrath do count as leader toward the 0/6 limit at 2000 points.

Edit: the Doomseeker do not count as leader, tho. 

I wonder if that was a mistake? Picking up the book today,  but I noticed that hearthguard berzerkers are still 100 points with a massive discount for a 30 man unit 

1 hour ago, Furuzzolo said:

They updated the Azyr app. 

The Grimwrath do count as leader toward the 0/6 limit at 2000 points.

Edit: the Doomseeker do not count as leader, tho. 

He's not a Leader in the battletome though. And the H. Berserkers are only 100 pts in the app still.  Guess they missed a few things.

EDIT: Does the mount trait Lava-tongue adult make it possible to hit 1 model units like heroes and monsters with the fyrestream? 🤔

Edited by Mikeymajq

2 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

EDIT: Does the mount trait Lava-tongue adult make it possible to hit 1 model units like heroes and monsters with the fyrestream? 🤔

It’s possible to anyway, as you need to roll equal to or less than the number of models (the tail is less only).  But it does give you a much better chance of hitting a single model. 

Also,  I would also say ignore the app until proven otherwise- if there’s a change it would appear in an faq or GHB. Something similar happened with idoneth warscrolls last year (basically several warscrolls with different rules appeared on the app) and the official answer usually is, if it’s being changed they will do so in an FAQ first. 

2 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

It was always possible on a 1, so the trait makes it so you can hit single models on a 2.

Not really worth it IMO, just because it only helps much before you start taking damage.

Edited by madmac

I was pleasantly surprised to have my book turn up today- I had assumed it would only be shipped today so that’s a bonus.

Now I’ve got the full rules in front of me, anyone else finding it hard to pick a lodge? Most armies I’ve had before that have had chapter style extra rules have had one or two obvious choices, but I can see some appeal with all options here. 

Vostarg: seems to be the competitive choice (strong alpha strike) and as my models are painted in a classic slayer stye they fit best with this lodge. But I think I find it a bit less interesting than the others. Might be a good one to use with Fjul-Grimnir, as I do have him. 

Greyfyrd is really tempting, just to try out as many artefacts as possible. Good for narrative games as well, I suspect as it gives individual heroes a chance to shine (and as grimwrath berserkers and doom seekers aren’t leaders, you can have lots of those)

Hermdar: I like the lore for this lodge as I always get drawn to the good guys- honourable berserkers appeals, and I think the army might feel more classically dwarvish than most- you might be last to the objectives, but you won’t be easy to shift once you get there. 

Lofnir: with only 2, I probably don’t have enough magmadroths to make the most of this lodge, except in smaller games. But it tempts me to get one or two more down the line...

There’s actually a fair incentive to taking no lodge at all- most, if not of the base command traits look really good on paper- spirit of Grimnir has really been buffed as it works every turn now, although several of the tunes have been weakened somewhat. 

I suspect I might end up settling on Hermdar, which looks like it might be a popular choice all round, but plenty to try out here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Azamar said:

Now I’ve got the full rules in front of me, anyone else finding it hard to pick a lodge? Most armies I’ve had before that have had chapter style extra rules have had one or two obvious choices, but I can see some appeal with all options here.

I think it's because they managed to figure out how to make them work decently.

SCE and BoC were the guinea pigs for the 2.0 subfactions, and SCE is a bit of a disaster since they made EIGHT of them! So it was a bit hard to figure out how to balance the Force Item and Trait. Some of which are definitely more "Tax" than Boon. Like Blade of the Desecrator vs Mutating Gnarlblade.

Had my first fyreslayer game yesterday. 2000p against legions of nagash (not nighthaunt focused). Here's a quick version of my list:

Hermdar lodge

Runefather on magma (general)

Runesmiter on magma

Runemaster

Battlesmith

Knight incantor

3x10 vulkites

15 hg berzerkers (poleaxes)

Molten infernoth

Lords of the lodge

-------------------------------

I did lose the game but it was very close one plus (literally something like 1-2 objective points difference) my slayers performed much better against death than they have in the past (fyreslayers have always struggled at wiping death units due to resurrect mechanics). Anyway here's some observations:

1. Knight incantor was worthless. Some could have seen it coming but I wanted some magic power in my army. This guy barely managed to unbind anything and completely failed at damage too. I would have probably won the game if I had replaced him with extra 10 vulkites (had 30p left over) because then I could've captured one of the objectives and outlived a unit of chainrasps.

2. Hg berzerkers are pretty amazing but I don't see multiple units of them being a good idea. These guys managed to kill stuff probably twice their points worth but... they were stuck in one place for the entire game. They're good at surviving and killing, but they're still too slow at killing stuff fast enough. Taking multiple units of these guys means less bodies on board which in turn means less ground to cover (not to mention their hero dependancy). Further more, they do have somewhat swingy damage, especially with poleaxes. Sometimes they do great, sometimes not so great.

3. Magmadroths were quite tanky but not too impressive on damage department. I'm actually thinking of running both of my magmies as one "unit", with runesmiter giving claw hit rerolls from that artifact and save rerolls from magmatrait (not to mention wound rerolls from prayers) while runefather takes the ignore 1 rend trait plus the lodge artifact plus lodge c. Trait (-1 to enemy wound rolls around 12"). I can see these two running around fast killing stuff.

4. Prayers were really cool and fun to use. Generally I really like most of the fyreslayer prayers and I have really tough time choosing what I want to give my priests (other than that 1 mandatory +1 to sv rolls prayer). Molten infernoth was pretty cool too, it did reasonably good job at softening multiple targets (and was very easy to resummon whenever it disappeared.) The only problem was that the rest of my army couldn't finish the job on that side of board (if only I had taken those 10 extra vulkites).

All in all, it was a fun first game for fyreslayers and I still have plenty of lists to test. 

As a side note, not sure how many people have noticed this but all the reroll hits/wounds/etc. Do NOT have the word "failed" in them. This means that regardless of modifiers, you can reroll everything (even successful ones if you're crazy enough to do that) which is great.

Edited by angrycontra
  • Like 1

I haven’t played aos in a long time. I have some Fyreslayers from when they first came out. Can anyone help me with a 2k list?  I know I’ll need to buy some more but here’s what I have so far

Runefather

runesmiter

Runemaster

runeson on magmadroth

battlesmith

doomaeeker

Grimwrath berserker

fjul-grimnir

2x10 vulkite berserkers pick and shield

3x5 auric hearthguard

Chosen axes

1 hour ago, Thor0298 said:

I haven’t played aos in a long time. I have some Fyreslayers from when they first came out. Can anyone help me with a 2k list?  I know I’ll need to buy some more but here’s what I have so far

Runefather

runesmiter

Runemaster

runeson on magmadroth

battlesmith

doomaeeker

Grimwrath berserker

fjul-grimnir

2x10 vulkite berserkers pick and shield

3x5 auric hearthguard

Chosen axes

You could make a pretty cool list with what you have without buying much. 

Runemaster (General)

Runesmiter

Battlesmith

Grimwrath

Chosen Axes & Fjul

2 Runesons on Magmadroth

1x10 Vulkites

1x20 Vulkites

1x15 Auric Hearthguard

Forge

Just grab one more SC and the forge :)

Hi just bought the battletome and my first idea was:

runefather on magmadroth with:

command trait: +1 save

magmadroth trait: take 1 from rend in melee

ghiran artifact: the one you heal a wound on a 6+ save

If you get on him some +1 to saving, he will be near unkillable in combat dont he? Healing on a 5+ (4+ even 3+ maybe)

What do you think about this list:

lodge VOSTARG

Leaders:

Rune Father (General) -----------100

-Vostarg artefact

Rune Master-----------------------120

Battlesmith-------------------------140

-Icon of the ancestors

Runesmiter-------------------------120

Units:

30x Hearthguards Berserkers---600  (Battleline)

20x Hearthguards Berserkers---480 (Battleline)

10x Arkanaut compagny ---------120 (Battleline)

10x Arkanaut compagny ---------120 (Battleline)

Bataillon:

Lords of the lodge ---------------------140

-----------------------------------------1940pts

Thanks for advices!

1 hour ago, Iron Fist said:

lodge VOSTARG

Leaders:

-Vostarg artefact

-Icon of the ancestors

Units:

Bataillon:

Thanks for advices!

The arkanauts don’t fill out your battle line requirements, so you would need to replace them, or split the 20 hearthguard into 2 units. 

I’m not even close to being an expert on tournament lists, but I suspect most might look something like this- 50 hearthguard potentially hitting someone on turn one, with one unit attacking twice, is going to be a scary prospect. There’s probably better ways to spend those last 240- 300  points than the  arkanauts though.  

4 hours ago, Iron Fist said:

lodge VOSTARG

Leaders:

-Vostarg artefact

-Icon of the ancestors

Units:

Bataillon:

Thanks for advices!

If you split the 20 man unit of hearthguard into 2, and scrap the arkanauts, you have 300 points to play with.  I'd probably take 10 auric hearthguard, same points as the arkanauts