AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, Takaloy said:

I think most BOC players will tell you that the Herdstone is probably one of the more dysfunctional scenery pieces out there. You still need to be around it to sacrifice your ungors, the buff itself runs contrary to an army that just wants to get up the field and smash face.

Yeah, I know, I spent some time in the BoC thread. What I meant is more of the aura expanding thingy, My main problem with skull Altar is the way it keeps our Slaughterpriests stuck to it, which limits their effective range imo

for the herdstone, good point, I forgot how fast BoC are, and I agree it’s somewhat contrary to the playstyle. I do feel that it means that even if you don’t have anyone next to the herdstone, you’ve still got the herdstone aura to use. 

for the altar, if your priests are either dead, or you didn’t bring them, then it’s effects are somewhat wasted (especially because I personally prefer the armor melting and battleshock immunity of the stone to the casting debuff of the Altar)

I think what I want to say is more that I don’t want to have the Zharrgrim priests completely stuck to the terrain piece. I’d rather it affected more than just the priests, so it doesn’t feel like a skull Altar copy paste, I hope it’s effects are uniquely Fyreslayers

tje problem about having so much scenery now is when the rules can seem a bit repetitive or uninspiring. For example, the Gnawhole for Skaven are amazing, but the charnel throne basically means that you want to bring at least a Ghoul King or archregent to make the  most of it or it’ll be wasted. And the lore was saying so much about how the throne could make people go crazy. Which was a wasted opportunity in terms of rules. 

14 minutes ago, Kaz said:

you want to bring at least a Ghoul King or archregent to make the  most of it or it’ll be wasted.

To be fair you almost always want one anyways! 😜

But yea free terrain is an issue because it is a "Free" buff/allegiance ability. So it cant be too powerful otherwise it mind as well cost points, on the other other hand it can easily be a very niche thing.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/11/battletome-fyreslayers-the-armoury-and-magmic-battleforge/

Forge rules are up. I'm a little disappointed, but only because it's priest focused.  The benefits are quite nice. I would have liked the one per game ability to be power activating a rune instead of army-wide mystic shield, but I can't really complain that hard.

The fluff on Fyresteel weapons confirms a lot of abilities survive in some form. There's references to the Runefather's weapon breaking ability, the forge brethren's bulwark ability, and the vulkites thrown slingshields.

One interesting thing about it, on re-read. You need one priest to be within 6 inches, which broadcasts the benefit out to 18 inches.

I think probably the assumption is that babysitting the forge is now the Runemasters job, since Runesmiters are for deepstriking or close combat support.

Also all the more reason to take the artillery geyser so he has more options for long-range support.

Edited by madmac

I still hold out hope that Doomseekers or Grimwraths will be rebadged as a unit of heroes. Like take 1-3, counts only as 1 leader choice for purposes if army comp. Would fit with the theme of Fyreslayers as norse heroes writ large (or rather...well, ****** it they're still brolic as all hell, that counts).

• Like 2

Other tidbits in that article that could translate to rules:

"The Thungur lodge, for example, mix in crystal from Hysh, making their blades shine with light." -1 hit against shooting?

"Trained Auric Hearthguard can even use these weapons to form barricades of molten stone to shield their allies from harm." cover save similar to Stormcast Protectors?

16 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Other tidbits in that article that could translate to rules:

"The Thungur lodge, for example, mix in crystal from Hysh, making their blades shine with light." -1 hit against shooting?

"Trained Auric Hearthguard can even use these weapons to form barricades of molten stone to shield their allies from harm." cover save similar to Stormcast Protectors?

The latter probably refers to the forge brethren battalion. Unless that’s been dropped and the same rule implemented elsewhere.

Saw these bad boys and had to get myself some start collecting boxes for them! Hopefully ko will see a release like this in the near future but for now the hunt for ur gold is on! 

Looks like I may have my battle line all sorted for the next book and 2 heroes on foot as well as 2 magmadroths.  Do you guys think this will be more of a defensive army given their extra wound and perhaps a point increase? Not sure how to flesh the collection out from the scs.

5 hours ago, Mikester1487 said:

Saw these bad boys and had to get myself some start collecting boxes for them! Hopefully ko will see a release like this in the near future but for now the hunt for ur gold is on! 

Looks like I may have my battle line all sorted for the next book and 2 heroes on foot as well as 2 magmadroths.  Do you guys think this will be more of a defensive army given their extra wound and perhaps a point increase? Not sure how to flesh the collection out from the scs.

Just wait for the weekend, early previews will be out and all the relevant details will be available.

On 4/11/2019 at 1:17 PM, Deepkin said:

I still hold out hope that Doomseekers or Grimwraths will be rebadged as a unit of heroes. Like take 1-3, counts only as 1 leader choice for purposes if army comp. Would fit with the theme of Fyreslayers as norse heroes writ large (or rather...well, ****** it they're still brolic as all hell, that counts).

Deepstriking 3 Grimwraths with a Runesmiter is my fondest wish for this army. 

I’ve been keeping an eye out for the new warscrolls- for those that don’t know they often appear on the New Zealand gw site early. And they’re up! 

First, to get the bad news out if the way, no unbinds (or endless spell dispels) that I can see anywhere. Bleh. 

Also runesmiters have to roll for their runic empowerment now, and the range is shorter and wholly within. 

magmadroths get an extra maw attack, and their volcanic blood works differently (but can’t hurt our own units anymore) but otherwise haven’t changed much- I’m fine with that personally but I suspect many were hoping for more of a buff. 

All throwing axes (and I do mean all) are 5+/5+. 

Most command abilities are different. Not sure if that’s good or bad yet. 

The good news? Many attacks have a better hit chance, including the runefather’s Axe, and all vulkite weapons! 

Hearthguard are insane now- as well as two wounds each they’ve kept the full invun (so 4+ if near a hero). Flamestrike poleaxes only get mortal wounds on an unmodified 6, but they do 2 mortals and it’s still in addition to normal damage. Ouch. 

The grimwraith has also kept his invulnerable save, albeit at best a 5+. His axe is now 2 damage -2 tend,and his abilties work differently- don’t know how he is mathematically but seeing as I always failed that 2+ to keep him until the end of the phase, him automatically piling in blood warrior style suits me fine. 

Aurics can now deflect wounds off non magmadroth heroes onto themselves. 

The battlesmith adds one to save rolls rather than rerolls, but is better in combat himself. 

The runemaster is decent, with the holy seeker is nice if it goes off, and more importantly doesn’t buff your opponents units! 

That’s  the main points I noticed at a glance. How it’ll all pan out will depend on buffs and the battletome but there’s some nice boosts here and there, but a bit of a blow for the runesmiter and a great shame that there’s zero magic defence by default- better ally in those runelords still...

edit: just spotted that magmadroths have 14 wounds now, so that’s a thing there. Chosen axes warscroll also has been boosted.

Edited by Azamar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Azamar said:

Hearthguard are insane now- as well as two wounds each they’ve kept the full invun (so 4+ if near a hero). Flamestrike poleaxes only get mortal wounds on an unmodified 6, but they do 2 mortals and it’s still in addition to normal damage. Ouch. 

I think Hearthguard are going to be the core of a lot of lists going forward they're ridiculous now

18 minutes ago, JonnyTheKing said:

so what weapon we thinking o hearth guard bezerkers now?

If Broadaxes were only 1" range I'd say Poles for sure with 20-30 man sized units but.. I dunno. I guess with 30 Poleaxes that's a lot more chances to roll 6's for the double MW's but broadaxes just seem so much more reliable especially with a -1 rend.

Looking over these warscrolls, there seem to be multiple ways to add one to save rolls. An extremely durable fyreslayers army will still be a thing. 

The magmapikes also went from range 15 to 18 which is pretty good.

Edited by Chikout

Poleaxes will benefit a lot from re-rolls to hit, even re-rolling ones, but I don't think I've seen that yet for Fyreslayers.

It's funny, because the two weapons basically switched places. Broadaxes look reliable now, and Pikes are spikey.

Personally I've got 10 of each and I don't see any reason to change that up really.

Considering bumping from 10 to 15 Aurics though. Want to see the new battalion requirements first.

Edit:  Also nerfed throwing axes is totally worth going to 3+ to hit on key units.

Edited by madmac