AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, Hannibal said:

I have to ask it a second time, please respond:

Warscroll builder lists Grimwrath Berzerkers as Leaders, while all my printed books as well as the FAQ list them as being NON LEADER. What is right here?

Thanks in advance.

HTG

Unless it’s been changed in broken realms, they do not take a leader slot. Although warscroll builder does sometimes have mistakes (its great, but it’s not perfect) it does seem to work ok in this case as if you add a grimwrath the number of leaders in the totals doesn’t increase

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Azamar said:

it does seem to work ok in this case as if you add a grimwrath the number of leaders in the totals doesn’t increase

Thanks! Totally overlooked that fact. :)

I think I´m going to start a Greyfyrd army very soon due to the coolness of such a project. Already love it.

• Like 1

Not totally a nerf, the bodyguard rule is actually relevant at getting 6 extra wounds to any herso. Before that you had only the magmadroth (which is a much more expensive option) for the runefather or heartguards for the battlesmith. If you don't mind the extra drop this might be worth it. Extending the life of your bannerguy is key in the survival of some matchups.

Plus it offers some flexibility, the oath only had to be pronounced at the start of the first round which allows you to adapt to any opponent if your backline heroes are not in danger.

Plus he strikes much much harder than the said magmadroth in case of combat.

Edited by kozokus

Assuming that Battalions go away and Lords of the Lodge is thrown into the bin with it, do you see lists changing very much?

There'd be less incentive to take Runemasters over Runesmiters since although they weren't bad, the Smiter was generally more useful for the same cost.

Beyond that I imagine it'll depend on if the points cost of Hearthguard goes up in the inevitable launch-day GHB.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

On 4/30/2021 at 4:07 AM, Clan's Cynic said:

Assuming that Battalions go away and Lords of the Lodge is thrown into the bin with it, do you see lists changing very much?

There'd be less incentive to take Runemasters over Runesmiters since although they weren't bad, the Smiter was generally more useful for the same cost.

Beyond that I imagine it'll depend on if the points cost of Hearthguard goes up in the inevitable launch-day GHB.

Why would they get rid of the battalions? 

I wouldnt be mad about it though. 

And yes, I would never ever play a Runemaster as he is just a Runesmiter in very very bad. 

For the same cost I can get a useful prayer AND the ability to deepstrike a unit. 

On the other hand, his uselessness makes him excellent at babysitting the forge. 

20 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

The 3.0 leaks from a (supposedly) very reliable source who's had Battletomes before release in the past stated they're going away.

Hope you still get a way of getting multiple artifacts/CP no matter if battalions stay or not.

On 5/1/2021 at 9:06 AM, Phasteon said:

And yes, I would never ever play a Runemaster as he is just a Runesmiter in very very bad. 

For the same cost I can get a useful prayer AND the ability to deepstrike a unit. 

On the other hand, his uselessness makes him excellent at babysitting the forge. 

Hi,

regarding our PRIESTS: I like to play rather PRIEST centric for my first games and I like to get a rating of our PRIESTS. I absolutely see the usefulness of a Runesmiter on foot (due to this deepstrike ability). But what about the Runesmiter on Magmadroth? Do you think he is any good? I love the Magmadroth.

53 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

what about the Runesmiter on Magmadroth? Do you think he is any good? I love the Magmadroth.

I found his Grand Ritual of Awakening to be very useful in a few games the question for me was always the Magmadroth.  With two attacks tied into the size of the opposing unit often found it hard to get the most out of my mount.  Tended to get some value out of the extra movement either ensuring a buff bubble after say a run & charge in Vorstarg or in stealing an objective in later rounds.  But when in our group the comparison is things like Stonehorns or Mawkrushas even at the much lower cost has been hard to be as excited about how the model plays as I am about how it looks…

9 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Hi,

regarding our PRIESTS: I like to play rather PRIEST centric for my first games and I like to get a rating of our PRIESTS. I absolutely see the usefulness of a Runesmiter on foot (due to this deepstrike ability). But what about the Runesmiter on Magmadroth? Do you think he is any good? I love the Magmadroth.

I play both Runefather + Smiter on Droth because they can keep up with my deepstriking HGB to grant them 2x fight. Reason behind this is with Vostarg they have an 8“ charge first turn so most likely get to combat where I want AND cant be alphastriked or targeted by shutdown abilities as they dont start on the board. 

Also Ritual of Awakening is HUGE defense against first doubleturn because most alphastrike armies tend to give first turn to the enemy to utilize potential doubleturn. 

you then just use the Ritual for another layer of +1 Save and pretty much nothings ng dies except to MWs. 

If the enemy takes the first turn to kill your droths you then have the potential doubleturn and can utilize the deepstriking HGB to counter. 

Very strong tactic, 100% winrate so far. 

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing an Ungrim campaign on Total War: Warhammer. Got me to wondering how many current Fyreslayer players ran the Slayer Cult list from Storm of Chaos back in the day?

I was too young and thus too poor to justify getting that many metals of course, but it does make me wonder if they'll be a viable addition to TOW's Dwarfs. 

On 5/24/2021 at 1:47 AM, Clan's Cynic said:

Been playing an Ungrim campaign on Total War: Warhammer. Got me to wondering how many current Fyreslayer players ran the Slayer Cult list from Storm of Chaos back in the day?

I was too young and thus too poor to justify getting that many metals of course, but it does make me wonder if they'll be a viable addition to TOW's Dwarfs. 

I actually got into Warhammer Fantasy with Storm of Chaos (after getting into 40k with Eye of Terror).  Yes I know I'm aging myself greatly and yes I did start making a Slayer army but I never got around to completing it since I was also too poor to buy a whole army from scratch.

We had an active Fantasy community at my old store and probably my single fondest memories was running a defensive battle for Storm of Chaos.  I remember it exactly.  I was running my small normal Dwarf army with another guy using the Slayer list.  Facing down a tide of Orcs and Dark Elves.  While my tactical abilities were subpar back in the day I remember my cannons and his Goblin-Hewer did some serious work. We had to hold the line for I think 6 turns although it might of been shorter and right when we were about to be completely overwhelmed, we made the time. The stubbornness of the Dwarfs was useful that day 

• Thanks 1

Looking at the last preview about CP, heroic actions and monster changes I feel very excited for Fyreslayers! 

Imo we were always CP starving, so being able to use more CAs will be huge (looking at +1 to wound aura from son)

Also Heroic Actions, protecting Battlesmith by +1 save first turn or healing him back up every hero phase comes in handy as well. 

Also Bael-Grimnir with +1 to wound/save is an outright beast for his points. 

Also roar sounds op! 

e.g. shutting down Mortek Guards reroll saves? Yes pls! 

Also its looking as if Unique Heroes always count as general, so you probably can pick Bael Grimnir, get HGB as battleline and still make a runesmiter (or was it runelord?) general for Auric Hearthguard Battleline AND run + charge trait! 

Sounds so good! 

Also, with Monsters probably being more impactful in 3.0 Aurics shots will more often hit for 2 Damage! 

Good stuff so far, especially if youre going Vostarg! 

On 6/4/2021 at 4:31 AM, Doko said:

Yes and loose the battallion to attack twice or get our hearthguard hitted by roar so cant attack first gonna be fun too....

Hermdar problems are not my concern, anything making them less of an autotake gets my approval 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 5:59 AM, Phasteon said:

Hermdar problems are not my concern, anything making them less of an autotake gets my approval 😉

Yeah I agree. It's hard to call it a nerf if the thing was previously an auto include/ take.  Just balancing.

Auric hearthguard seem like they will be incredible this edition, fighting from behind a screen of vulkites.  So pumped for all the changes to priests as well

• Confused 1

The main concern is that the cap on bonuses to save means no more stacking the Battlesmith and Prayer of Ash etc. to get excellent saves. But 4+ is pretty easy to achieve basically for the entire army.

I think Runeson goes up in appeal because his CA is +1 Wound and targets himself to grant an aura to every fyreslayer around him. Which means you can still stack multiple buff auras (of different types) on your units.

+1 Wound from Runeson. -1 to be Wounded from the Hermdar Trait aura, immune to battleshock in Hermdar (as you cannot repeatedly use Inspiring Presence this matters more), +1 to hit from the Karl in a unit using the All Out Attack CA, +1 save from battlesmith/prayer of ash, etc.

Bladed Slingshields won't stack with other buffs to save though as they modify the 5+ save. Can still use them to hero snipe while you charge though by throwing them at something within 8 of the charge.

Vulkites with Fyresteel Handaxes go up in value as their built in reroll to hit combined with the easy +1 to hit from CAs AND their fight on death is a nice positive.

The Curse prayer needs you to be close to the enemy but Fyreslayer priests often get close anyway just to keep their units inside their 12 inch auras. And that lets all 6s to hit deal mortals on the target unit and between throwing axes and rerolling twin handaxes and fighting on death you could really pile on some hurt by just rolling so many dice with a big chunk of vulkites to trigger the mortals on 6s enough times to be scary.

Hearthguard with big 2 handed axes also probably more appealing. 2MWs on 6s is still excellent but the easy +1 to hit from CAs helps the big axes more.

Wonder what they'll do with the minimum unit size 5 of Hearthguard/Aurics and how that interacts with Reinforcement? Plus, of course, conditional battleline and Reinforcement.

On 6/6/2021 at 1:59 PM, Phasteon said:

I still think Hermdar are going to be the best Lodge. Skull-breakers and Oath-Takers is an amazing Command Ability and is arguably even more important now Fyreslayers can't stack save buffs and being immune to Battleshock whilst on an objective is similarly fantastic, especially now you can't spam Inspiring Presence. Warrior Indominate became even more important now we can't stack Save buffs.

Vostarg might see more play with the smaller board size, but Hermdar's still the clear frontrunner.

13 hours ago, CentralKarma said:

Yeah I agree. It's hard to call it a nerf if the thing was previously an auto include/ take.  Just balancing.

Auric hearthguard seem like they will be incredible this edition, fighting from behind a screen of vulkites.  So pumped for all the changes to priests as well

The problem with Aurics is still their 4+ to hit. Unleash Hell is probably a waste of CP when they need 5+ to hit.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1