AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 hours ago, multiarms said:

Stupid question regarding Fyreslayer priests:

Can they chant their warscroll prayer, and their zharrgrim blessing, and do a magmic invocation, all in the same hero phase?  Or only one? I'm confused/

yes they can chant a warscroll prayer, a Zharrgrim Blessing and a Magmic Invocation in the same hero phase

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

yes they can chant a warscroll prayer, a Zharrgrim Blessing and a Magmic Invocation in the same hero phase

Even use an ability like Magma Smitter "Grand Ritual of Awakening".

1 Ability

1 Prayer chosen from the list

1 Its own prayer

1 Magmic Invocation in your list that is not on the battlefield already

2 hours ago, multiarms said:

Stupid question regarding Fyreslayer priests:

Can they chant their warscroll prayer, and their zharrgrim blessing, and do a magmic invocation, all in the same hero phase?  Or only one? I'm confused/

Only stupid question is the question that was never asked. Anyway, yes you can do everything. The typical limitations will obviously still apply (book prayers can only be attempted once each no matter how many priests have the same prayer chosen, only one magmic invocation per priest can be attempted, warscroll prayers have no limitations). You can even get 4 prayers/invocations in turn with your general if you have runemaster/smiter as your general and you take that command trait that allows picking 2 book prayers instead of one. 

Edit. Too slow 

Edited by angrycontra
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Amradiel said:

I bought two start collecting boxes but have not been able to read the battletome yet. But saw that there is a Magmadroth heavy lodge (Lofnir?). How would you build the boxes going down that route. 

I'm in the same boat here. I'll go with one Runefather on Magmadroth and one Runesmiter on Magmadroth. 

Reasons are that the Runesmiter is a good supporting piece for the whole army and only fielding 2 Magmadroths, Lofnir is not the best choice IMO. Therefore I like to get the most out of my fighting Magmadroth. => Runefather on Magmadroth. 

That being said, you can build a Runefather as well as a Runeson out of 2 boxes and with a pin or magnet you can build them interchangeable. 

If you're interested in Lofnir, I think that Runefather, 2 Runesons and 1 Runesmiter on Magmadroths is a good base. 

But I wonder wether the "hero" Lodge is better suited to Magmadroth heavy builds. You loose the additional traits, but you gain more artefacts. 

IMO Lofnir is only really worth it if you're heading towards 5 Magmadroths and/or wanting to field Auric Hearthguard in a good amount. 

Edited by Hannibal

59 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

I'm in the same boat here. I'll go with one Runefather on Magmadroth and one Runesmiter on Magmadroth. 

Reasons are that the Runesmiter is a good supporting piece for the whole army and only fielding 2 Magmadroths, Lofnir is not the best choice IMO. Therefore I like to get the most out of my fighting Magmadroth. => Runefather on Magmadroth. 

That being said, you can build a Runefather as well as a Runeson out of 2 boxes and with a pin or magnet you can build them interchangeable. 

If you're interested in Lofnir, I think that Runefather, 2 Runesons and 1 Runesmiter on Magmadroths is a good base. 

But I wonder wether the "hero" Lodge is better suited to Magmadroth heavy builds. You loose the additional traits, but you gain more artefacts. 

IMO Lofnir is only really worth it if you're heading towards 5 Magmadroths and/or wanting to field Auric Hearthguard in a good amount. 

I just heard about a Magmadroth heavy lodge and thought yay thats great 😊 Because I am a really slow painter. 

alright, so i just had a very interesting game that may have changed my whole outlook in regards to enjoyment of the army.

i wanted to try out a list i thought would be fun, i completely expected it would lose any of the battleplans
ended up playing Total Commitment vs Stormcast
-Runefather (General, Blood Of The Berzerker,Magmalt Ale)
-3x5 Hearthguard Berzerkers (Broadaxe)
-15 Grimwarth Berzerkers

i dont remember the exact list my opponent took, but it basically had 10 Evocators, Gaverial Surecharge, Vandus Hammerhand, Knight Azyros, Celestant Prime and various units of Liberators, Castigators and Sequitors. he also started with a bunch of command points. his strategy seemed to revovle around keeping all the combat stuff close together and spaming Vandus command ability giving everyone a lot of extra attacks

plot twist, i won in the first half of turn 3, and completely tabled my opponent at the end of turn 4. i had lost 5 Grimwraths, the Runefather, a unit a Hearthguard and 2 Hearthguard from another unit. most of the remaining Grimwraths were wounded

i have a few updated opinions from earlier
-Hearthguard Berzerkers. i think Broadaxe is better although the mortal wounds from Poleaxe is nice
-Grimwrath Berzerker. i love his new rules, however i feel like you must take multiples as a single one will die before he gets to combat. i think his rules are fine, but when theres 15 of the crazy buggers lobbing heads off left right and centre it feels a bit too strong. all i can say is i really hope they dont eratta the fact he isnt a LEADER (sidenote, i wish the Battlesmith wasnt either, not so you could spam him but so you have more room for heros especially in a Lofnir list)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

alright, so i just had a very interesting game that may have changed my whole outlook in regards to enjoyment of the army.

i wanted to try out a list i thought would be fun, i completely expected it would lose any of the battleplans
ended up playing Total Commitment vs Stormcast
-15 Grimwarth Berzerkers

i dont remember the exact list my opponent took, but it basically had 10 Evocators, Gaverial Surecharge, Vandus Hammerhand, Knight Azyros, Celestant Prime and various units of Liberators, Castigators and Sequitors. he also started with a bunch of command points. his strategy seemed to revovle around keeping all the combat stuff close together and spaming Vandus command ability giving everyone a lot of extra attacks

plot twist, i won in the first half of turn 3, and completely tabled my opponent at the end of turn 4. i had lost 5 Grimwraths, the Runefather, a unit a Hearthguard and 2 Hearthguard from another unit. most of the remaining Grimwraths were wounded

i have a few updated opinions from earlier
-Hearthguard Berzerkers. i think Broadaxe is better although the mortal wounds from Poleaxe is nice
-Grimwrath Berzerker. i love his new rules, however i feel like you must take multiples as a single one will die before he gets to combat. i think his rules are fine, but when theres 15 of the crazy buggers lobbing heads off left right and centre it feels a bit too strong. all i can say is i really hope they dont eratta the fact he isnt a LEADER (sidenote, i wish the Battlesmith wasnt either, not so you could spam him but so you have more room for heros especially in a Lofnir list)

That sounds hilarious, I'll have to give something like that a try. But I don't know where I'd get 15 Grimwraths!

• LOVE IT! 1

That is a crazy list (I love it!) 🤣 

I'm actually a bit worried how my friends will react to my fyreslayers toting two wounds and easily a 3+ save on top of whatever prayers I cast (like the debuff or further +1 save..) and runes being activated. If they're not bringing lots of rend or mw's it's gonna get gross xD

2 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

That is a crazy list (I love it!) 🤣 

I'm actually a bit worried how my friends will react to my fyreslayers toting two wounds and easily a 3+ save on top of whatever prayers I cast (like the debuff or further +1 save..) and runes being activated. If they're not bringing lots of rend or mw's it's gonna get gross xD

Most things nowadays are bursting with rend or mw's. It's probably why our little beardos have to be so tanky. Never forget a Skaven cannon can ZAP any of our heroes from across the board.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

-15 Grimwarth Berzerkers

Hilarious idea for a list. I'm glad it worked and your opponent must have been highly annoyed haha!

Presumably you're proxying Vulkites or something, otherwise 15 grimwraths would run you US $450 retail.

If you ran the Runemaster and Auric Hearthguard, you could probably keep most of the grimwraths within 3" of the Aurics and shunt half the wounds to them. You'd end up with nothing but grimwraths alive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, multiarms said:

Hilarious idea for a list. I'm glad it worked and your opponent must have been highly annoyed haha!

Presumably you're proxying Vulkites or something, otherwise 15 grimwraths would run you US $450 retail.

If you ran the Runemaster and Auric Hearthguard, you could probably keep most of the grimwraths within 3" of the Aurics and shunt half the wounds to them. You'd end up with nothing but grimwraths alive.

haha yes at this stage while dipping my feet back into the army and figuring out what i want to do with them, ive been running proxies and/or borrowing my old army from the friend i gave it to

Okay, so had a game today against nurgle. Knife to the heart scenario. Bit of a slugfest,  but the Broadaxe Heartnguard were worth their weight in gold. Took out Horti, and the GUO and were moving up towards his objective. Grimwrath was awesome, especially with bracers of ember iron and the battlesmith plus to save. 2 up save, 5 up feel no pain, he took a single wound all game. Had to call it a draw in the end as we ran out of time :(

Fyre.PDF Nogle.PDF

1 hour ago, Balloon Dwarf said:

Okay, so had a game today against nurgle. Knife to the heart scenario. Bit of a slugfest,  but the Broadaxe Heartnguard were worth their weight in gold. Took out Horti, and the GUO and were moving up towards his objective. Grimwrath was awesome, especially with bracers of ember iron and the battlesmith plus to save. 2 up save, 5 up feel no pain, he took a single wound all game. Had to call it a draw in the end as we ran out of time :(

Fyre.PDF 584.63 kB · 4 downloads Nogle.PDF 922.68 kB · 4 downloads

how do hearthguard berserkers fare in units of 5 ?

Is there any reason to take a DoomSeeker? The Grimwrath Berserker is superior.

Anything I’m missing? 

Can you create a scenario where the DoomSeeker shines?  I got one before the book came  out and now I’m sad to see he won’t get any play.  

27 minutes ago, ledha said:

how do hearthguard berserkers fare in units of 5 ?

Surprisingly well actually. I took them as a deepstrine with my runesmiter, and they're just really tough to shift. I did only take them as two units because I've got ten axe build and 5 poleaxe. I think from 20 plaguebearers neither they or my runesmiter actually took a wound. 

21 hours ago, multiarms said:

Could be even funiest, you can use Lofnir lodge and you will have a free Magma.

I dont find that you need to have 1 magma to add the free one...just that all behemots in your list remains magmas.

6 hours ago, Ruudy said:

Could be even funiest, you can use Lofnir lodge and you will have a free Magma.

I dont find that you need to have 1 magma to add the free one...just that all behemots in your list remains magmas.

Lofnir doesnt give you a 'free' magmadroth, it lets you take one more than you would normally be allowed (ie you ignore the behemoth limit)

How are people finding the lack of magic defence? Is it pretty much essential to take one of the artefacts in every game? If so, which one is your preference? 

I found the Nulsidian icon to be a bit limited in my first game- hasn’t against any damage spells that came my way, but given the amount of buffing spells that the enemy (DOK in this case) had available I can’t help but feel a chance to unbind wound have been better. I guess against certain armies - tzeentch and LON in particular- the chance of getting a successful unbind with so bonuses is so low that a flat 50:50 chance to ignore is better. 

I might try the ash cloud rune for my next game, but I still find it slightly frustrating that I’m always having to burn an artefact choice just to have some magic defence (or allies points I suppose)- is this overthinking it and would it be better to just take the hit from magic and just take whatever artefact suits my army the best? 

Bringing a Knight-Incantor ally for a guaranteed unbind helps a lot with keeping down buff/defensive magic, and it's a very useful model to include for battleplans that only allow WIZARDS and heroes with artefacts to score. You can also give them the Dais Arcanum endless spell for +1 save (stacks with cover!), a 12" fly move, and another unbind.

4 hours ago, Azamar said:

How are people finding the lack of magic defence? Is it pretty much essential to take one of the artefacts in every game? If so, which one is your preference? 

I found the Nulsidian icon to be a bit limited in my first game- hasn’t against any damage spells that came my way, but given the amount of buffing spells that the enemy (DOK in this case) had available I can’t help but feel a chance to unbind wound have been better. I guess against certain armies - tzeentch and LON in particular- the chance of getting a successful unbind with so bonuses is so low that a flat 50:50 chance to ignore is better. 

I might try the ash cloud rune for my next game, but I still find it slightly frustrating that I’m always having to burn an artefact choice just to have some magic defence (or allies points I suppose)- is this overthinking it and would it be better to just take the hit from magic and just take whatever artefact suits my army the best? 

That's why I think that Grey Fyrd is a strong choice for a competitive list.  Add in a battalion you get 4 artifacts, which is huge.  Plus Grimwraiths still benefit from the command ability to activate all heroes within 3".  Played a game on the weekend and took Ash- Cloud Rune and the Icon of Grimnir's Condemnation.  I was able to deal with my opponents magic quite easily.  I play LON as well, and run Nagash.  At full strength there is not much you can do to stop his casting. 

• Like 1

It feels fair, because remember the enemy can't do anything about our prayers at all. We at least have the option to spend an artifact to deal with their spells, which they don't have to deal with our prayers. Now, I could go on about how Khorne kind of ruins this whole thing by being amazing at everything prayer/spell-related, but I'll save that for now.

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 1