AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Greyfyrd Grimwrath with Blood of the Berserker and the Chamon artifact that gives -3 rend, coupled with a nearby Runemaster using Expert Cohesion and Prayer of Grimnir's Fury.

For even more lulz, use Sword of Judgment and aim him at a hero/monster you want deader than the deadest dead times infinity.

Khazukan kazakit-ha!

Edited by Deepkin
  • Haha 1

The throwing axes never mattered much anyway, so it's not a big deal, but nerfing them to 5s and 5s seems kinda random.

Still, 2 wounds and 2 attacks for Hearthguard Berserkers is pretty huge. And exactly what I predicted, so heh.  In any event definitely buffs them up to being proper elites.

+1 damage vs monsters for Aurics is a nice little buff. It's not game-changing, but combined with giving them two wounds and probably a lodge that buffs them, really nice.

Looks like no Battleline Magmadroths, but mount traits for every Magmadroth is pretty cool and assuming they've been buffed could make for an interesting army.  Don't know if it's enough to make me get a 4th magmadroth though, I'll have to wait and see.

What's really interesting to me though is the Greyfyrd lodge. I...may need to buy some more Grimwrath Berserkers.

Edit: Also, sneaky little Hearthguard buff, both weapons have 2" reach now, that's definitely new.

Having a prayer that grants +1 saves combined with presumably the Battlesmith still doing his thing is really nice. And the more I Look at the targeted buffs to foot melee heroes, I definitely think I need to look at getting like 2 more Grimmies.  It's an inexpensive way to support a new army style.

Also, they don't say it, but I think Berserk Fury replaces the after-save on Vulkites, it's largely the same fluff text as their existing ability.  Which is fine really, having double the wounds already makes them tough battleline units, and the free attacks on death is intimidating.

Edited by madmac

The new rules preview got me really excited. But I do hope we get to keep some sort of save after save. That and throwing axes out the whazoo was kind of our schtick. (Also I'm secretly hoping we'll go up in pts a bit to be a little less hordey).

Prayers and lodges will bring a lot of list building fun despite our lack of units. But jusy one more would have been fantastic and I'm desperately hoping for one. 

I´m overly thrilled by the infos given so far. I´ve been waiting to get a Fyreylayers army on the table since I painted The Chosen Axes. Of all Duardins, I´m most interested in Fyreslayers.

Can´t wait to see the final rules. Do we still need 30 men units of Vulkites? Can we run a more elite force? What about the Magmadroths? Does the Runesmiter still allow for zunneling? So mny questions to answer...

On 4/4/2019 at 3:52 AM, Thomas Lyons said:

I'm not sure how true it is, but I've heard that Vulkites are getting a rework from the ground up, losing their after-save, but picking up two wounds per model. Rumors suggest only the Hearthguard keep their aftersave. I guess we'll see. 

Turns out you were bang on the money!

Looking good so far- if magmadroth get mount traits I might have to think of more inspiring names for mine (currently “Mr Stompy” and “Pickles”)

As others have pointed out, the wording for the vulkite special rule implies that this replaces their invun save. Kinda feels like a poor mans blood warrior rule, but, as I said before, I think 2 wounds might actually work out better than the invulnerable save anyway? Crucially it means you don’t need 30 vulkites to make the most of a unit anymore (I have 20 with each weapon type, so good news for me!) 

Hearthguard, if they have kept duty unto death, are now insanely good. Bit of a stealth buff with the weapon ranges as well, and the poleaxe now wounds on a 3+. I currently have 20 of these guys (IMO better models than the vulkites sp I had tried to wedge in as many as possible despite their rules) so this suits me very well! 

Who knows what this will do to points though. I’m expecting a hike in both, although seeing as hearthguard were significantly overpriced before, they might not go up by much. 

Throwing axes taking a hit isn’t surprising- seeing how we’re getting some significant buffs then something had to give. Rune of farsight takes them back to where they were, but was generally the one I’d use if I couldn’t think of anything better to do anyway. 

Yeah. so far the new rules look promising.  Will be interesting to see how the rest take shape, and point values.  Hopefully points don't change too much, just more of a tweak.

A little disappointed that the fyresteel axes are now 5's and 5's, but as someone else mentioned, something had to give.

I am excited to see what playstyles emerge. I hope we see some viable differences, like march of the magmadroths list with Lofnir, grimwrath-spam with greyfyrd, hearthguard berzerker deathball, and more familiar "our vulkites will blot out the sun" builds as well. 

I love giant monsters and desperately want Magmadroths to be good.

• Like 2

One of the interesting things about the preview is that it makes it pretty clear that Priest characters have their own traits and artifacts list, and they're both looking really solid. Going to be seeing a lot of Runesmiters on Magmadroths in the general role, I think.

Especially with that artifact that lets Magmadroths re-roll hits, that thing is nice.

• Like 2

I'm also interested to see how mount traits will work, especially with the Lofnir Lodge.  Will all 5 magmadroths be able to the same trait, or will each have to choose a different one.  We've only seen 2 of the traits so far in the preview, but I'd imagine they would all have to have different traits.  Thoughts?

51 minutes ago, CentralKarma said:

I'm also interested to see how mount traits will work, especially with the Lofnir Lodge.  Will all 5 magmadroths be able to the same trait, or will each have to choose a different one.  We've only seen 2 of the traits so far in the preview, but I'd imagine they would all have to have different traits.  Thoughts?

Both FEC and Stormcast also have mount traits and you can duplicate them all you wish. So, all 5 Magmadroths could have the same trait. If it works differently, that would be a shock, as two books so far have been consistent. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, flamingwalnut said:

Both FEC and Stormcast also have mount traits and you can duplicate them all you wish. So, all 5 Magmadroths could have the same trait. If it works differently, that would be a shock, as two books so far have been consistent. 

Ah ok, didn't realize other armies had mount traits.  In that case, yeah it be strange if we couldn't reuse traits.  Thanks

Edited by CentralKarma
spelling mistakes
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, madmac said:

One of the interesting things about the preview is that it makes it pretty clear that Priest characters have their own traits and artifacts list, and they're both looking really solid. Going to be seeing a lot of Runesmiters on Magmadroths in the general role, I think.

Especially with that artifact that lets Magmadroths re-roll hits, that thing is nice.

Yea I imagine much like slaughterpriests, fyreslayer priests will have a constant presence.

Plus at least Fyreslayers have 3 options compared to khorne's 1 so theres some variations. (Well theres the chaos warshrine, but thats harder to fit in most lists)

Really like Greyfyrd's passive! That is the direct opposite of the usual with subfactions where you have an item tax. Now you get an item boon! With a battalion (methinks which would be easy to slip in) thats 4 artifacts! Well 3 artifacts and 1 forced artifact. But still pretty cool nevertheless.

Hero Hammer here we come!

• LOVE IT! 1

Having a couple of foot heroes run rampart sounds really fun, I do hope that's a viable build. Usually foot heroes die to quickly in combat. But I really really want like 3 berzerkers just chewing through stuff xD

Can't wait for the next preview but I think I can safely add another Start collecting to my force... and maybe some more of the now properly elite units too 🤔😅

Edited by Mikeymajq

HELLOOOO DWARVEN FRIENDS!!!!

dont tell the Khorne guys I’m here, they’re gonna kill me.

How expensive do you feel the infantry will get points wise with these changes? I’ve actually been waiting for a chance to play more elite Fyreslayers 

in terms of hearthguarf Berserkers, with the extra attack, assuming that th ability stays the same for flamestrike poleaxe, which is generally the better weapon in most cases? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kaz said:

How expensive do you feel the infantry will get points wise with these changes? I’ve actually been waiting for a chance to play more elite Fyreslayers 

in terms of hearthguarf Berserkers, with the extra attack, assuming that th ability stays the same for flamestrike poleaxe, which is generally the better weapon in most cases? 

I won't tell if you don't 😂

Too soon to say on the points.  Vulkites I could see stay about the same. The others... No clue. But it's hard to say without the full warscrolls etc.  H.berzerkers will probably go up. Depends a lot on if they keep their save-after-save I think.  The extra attack fixes my main issue with them thankfully. 

I love both options (in the old warscroll). If the flamestrike stays the same.. I can only imagine it changing because of the extra attack as it would double their Mw output if it didn't. 

Edited by Mikeymajq

33 minutes ago, Kaz said:

I think they'll get more expense, but I don't see the point increase being too crazy.  Vulkites i imagine will remain the same.  If the rumours are true, they will be losing the inv. save, but getting another wound, IMO that's pretty much a wash.  Berzerker fury is a nice ability, but only OPG, so i cant seeing it impacting their points too much.

Hearthguard berzerkers will probably see the biggest points increase, my guess would be around 160-180 range. To be fair, im pulling that number out of my ass.   I use 5-10 with broadaxes, and then 5-10 with the poleaxes.  I think have both because they are good at dealing with different things.

Curious to see what changes the Battlesmith gets, if any.  I think it would be cool if instead of re rolls to saves, to gave 6" within bubble of 6+ inv. save. 

Edited by CentralKarma