Another fun unit that would help the army is

Magmic Tunneler 

Wounds: 12

Move: 6"

Save *

Bravery 7

Drill: Attacks * Range 1" Rend -3 Damage: 3 HITS 4+ WOUNDS 2+

Heat: Attacks 3D6 Range 3" Rend - Damage 1

HITS 4+ WOUNDS 4+ (6 to Hit does 1 Mortal Wound)

Wounds suffered

0-4 Save 2+ / Drill 8

5-8 Save 3+ / Drill 6

9+  Save 4+ / Drill 4

Tunneling Behemoth: At the start of the Movement Phase this model may instead of making a normal move or retreat remove this model from the Battlefield and place it anywhere more than 9" from enemy units. Place a Tunnel Token within 1" of this model before removing it.

Tunnel Token:Once per turn a Fyreslayer Unit wholly within 6" of a Tunnel Token and not engaged at the start of the movement phase may go through the Tunnel instead of normal move or retreat may remove themselves from Battlefield and be placed wholly within 6" of the Magmic Tunneler and more than 7" away from enemy units.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forehead said:

Has anyone seen the speculation that Vulkites with shields are dropping to 1 attack each in melee???!?!?!?! Please tell me this isn't true, otherwise this is an obscene and unnecessary nerf.

Page 61 of this thread has pictures of the new warscrolls.

Yes, they have been dropped to 1 attack in melee.

1 hour ago, readercolin said:

Page 61 of this thread has pictures of the new warscrolls.

Yes, they have been dropped to 1 attack in melee.

Ugh, UGH, didn't spot that the first time.  Hmmmm, I may be converting all the Vulkites to HGBs of some sort.  Have to wait and see if their attacks can be multiplied somehow or perhaps increased in damage per attack, etc.  Or if they just become Gors......

The biggest problem is base 30 and only 1" range weapon,really his stats dont matter and they gonna be useless and umplayables for entire 3.0 while new coherency dont change.

But yes the new vulkites have worse stats than 120 points units and cost 170.....they are too much bad to the point that gw must faq them

Also cant believe i missed the vulkite attack nerf, 1 attack each at 3s and 4s with -1 rend is hopeless and not remotely worth the 170 points. Almost no point doing beserk fury if you're unlikely to do more than 1 wound to a unit as well.

Tough times to be playing fyreslayers until the book then.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Forehead said:

Also cant believe i missed the vulkite attack nerf, 1 attack each at 3s and 4s with -1 rend is hopeless and not remotely worth the 170 points. Almost no point doing beserk fury if you're unlikely to do more than 1 wound to a unit as well.

Tough times to be playing fyreslayers until the book then.

Where GW is probably coming from with this is that they have a 4+ base save, and 2 wounds apiece.  So you are paying 170 points for 20 wounds on a 4+ save, or effectively 10 wounds on a 4+ for 85 points.  Defensively, this is on a similar rate to freeguild guard, and a better rate than stuff like liberators, or even chaos warriors.  Additionally, if fyreslayers keep their multiple ways to get +1 to save, it shouldn't be too hard to get them to a 3+ ignore rend -1, maybe even ignore rend -2.

If we ignore the offensive side of the equation, defensively that is actually pretty good.  The problem though is that GW has a habit of DRASTICALLY overvaluing defense, and pointing incorrectly due to that.  The closest comparison that I have is Drakespawn Knights, which they originally valued (in 2.0) at 170 points because they were rocking a 3+ save.  Offensively... they are actually better than vulkites (mostly due to coherency, if all 10 vulkites could attack their damage would be similar), which feels really, really bad to say because drakespawn knights are one of the worst damaging units in the entirety of the Cities roster.  Those same drakespawn knights are now still unplayed, but have dropped down to 125 points, and it is hard to say if GW can drop them any lower because they do at least have a 10" move and being cavalry bases can actually be a decent screen if they drop too many more points (I might actually consider running them at 100 in something other than a themed army).  Compare this to the vulkites, and even though they have twice the wounds, I would still take drakespawn knights over vulkintes 9/10 times, unless fyreslayers have a REAAAAAALLLY good allegiance ability.

On top of that, vulkites suffer from the MASSIVE problem of hearthguard berzerkers doing the same thing but better.  I could see that if hearthguard berzerkers didn't exist, and you had to choose between vulkites, auric hearthguard, and then magmadroths for your hammer, vulkites would actually have a place in lists.  But they are too close in usage to the hearthguard berzerkers, so they are basically never going to see any play.

• Like 2

Well at least Vulkites w shields can cause some MW on the charge; a unit of 20 just has to get 1 model with 1" of a unit and you get to roll 20 dice shooting for 6s.  Nice big tarpit I guess.  Still meh but something?

At least I got my Fyreslayers at a nice juicy discount, but still disappointing the way things are looking for them.  HOWEVER I don't think we'll be sad when their (or a united Duardin) tome comes out.  Stats will probably stay the same but I bet the auras/hero support and new units will be good.  

I agree that defensively the VB shield option is tough with battlesmith, RSmiter on MDs nugget, prayer of ash, all out defence and being in cover all being options for extra save stacking. Just fundamentally underwhelming in attack which is disheartening.

I also massively agree that the new book will add things on top of this that should make them playable. We'll see how i get on next week at a one dayer with these new rules and points!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Well at least Vulkites w shields can cause some MW on the charge; a unit of 20 just has to get 1 model with 1" of a unit and you get to roll 20 dice shooting for 6s.  Nice big tarpit I guess.  Still meh but something?

At least I got my Fyreslayers at a nice juicy discount, but still disappointing the way things are looking for them.  HOWEVER I don't think we'll be sad when their (or a united Duardin) tome comes out.  Stats will probably stay the same but I bet the auras/hero support and new units will be good.  

The problem with soup gonna be that why bring garbagge scrolls as vulkites when we can bring ironbreaker\longbeards that are sooooo much better as screen,tanking or even doing damage.

Or auric vs irondrakes

As allways only hearthguard gonna be used in soup as kharadrons melle units are bad and hearthguard are better than hammerers.

Buy i really wish for a soup lol,i cant wait to mix my irondrakes,ironbreakers with some magmadroth and hesrthguards

Honestly that sounds like why it should be pure Fyreslayers tome with duardin coalitions. Otherwise they get the excuse to use the Bonesplitterz/AoS3 nerfhammer on the Dispossessed warscrolls too.

(Personally I’m expecting the biggest change to just be avatar-Gotrek getting the Fyreslayer keyword. Not like he wants to work with Grungni who he calls an Oathbreaker)

On 1/21/2022 at 7:17 AM, Voltek said:

Magmic Tunneler 

Wounds: 12

Move: 6"

Save *

Bravery 7

Drill: Attacks * Range 1" Rend -3 Damage: 3 HITS 4+ WOUNDS 2+

Hmm, kinda wondering if it should be a lava cannon instead of a drill? Would help add firepower to the Magmadroth and Fyresteel axe barrages. 

It’d also fit how Fyreslayers dig by controlling lava to burn away the ground. A lava tank just constantly blasting it’s payload underground to melt it’s way quickly around the battlefield would function similarly. I imagine it’s semi-sentient due to runes so it wouldn’t need controllers but act as a tank golem filled with lava, sorta like the Gunyolk from the Mario Rpg game.

image.png.ba9dfb3e4f476c2eade7920a363ea51e.png

In other news, Woehammer has a new Fyreslayer tournament list that used 2 Stormcast ballista allies to win the day.

https://woehammer.com/2022/01/21/top-three-aos-lists-from-coliseum-of-sigmar-floridaus-8th-january-2022/

“Zachary also won all three games and beat Stormcast Eternals/Hammers of Sigmar in Round 1, another Stormcast Eternals/Hammers of Sigmar in Round 2 and Cities of Sigmar/Tempest’s Eye in Round 3.

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
– Subfaction: Greyfyrd
 Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
 Triumphs:

Leaders
———-
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (275)*
– Artefact: Salamander Cloak
– Mount Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
– Prayers: Ember Storm

Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (General)(285)**
– Command Trait: Battle-Scarred Veteran
– Artefact: Helm of Obsidia

Battlesmith (125)**
 Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon

Battleline
———-
5x Heathguard Berzerkers (250)*
5x Heathguard Berzerkers (250)**

Artillery
———-
Celestar Ballista (140)*
Celestar Ballista (140)**

Units
———-
5x Auric Heathguard (250)**

Core Battalions
———-
*Battle Regiment
**Battle Regiment

Total Points: 1965 pts”

4th time I’ve seen Stormcast allies bring Greyfyrd’s to victory with last time being Drakeguards, Annihilators before that and then Aetherwings to help take objectives.

it’a unintentional but I like how that fits their Nexus mercenaries across the realms nature. :D 

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

Honestly that sounds like why it should be pure Fyreslayers tome with duardin coalitions. Otherwise they get the excuse to use the Bonesplitterz/AoS3 nerfhammer on the Dispossessed warscrolls too.

(Personally I’m expecting the biggest change to just be avatar-Gotrek getting the Fyreslayer keyword. Not like he wants to work with Grungni who he calls an Oathbreaker)

Hmm, kinda wondering if it should be a lava cannon instead of a drill? Would help add firepower to the Magmadroth and Fyresteel axe barrages. 

It’d also fit how Fyreslayers dig by controlling lava to burn away the ground. A lava tank just constantly blasting it’s payload underground to melt it’s way quickly around the battlefield would function similarly. I imagine it’s semi-sentient due to runes so it wouldn’t need controllers but act as a tank golem filled with lava, sorta like the Gunyolk from the Mario Rpg game.

image.png.ba9dfb3e4f476c2eade7920a363ea51e.png

In other news, Woehammer has a new Fyreslayer tournament list that used 2 Stormcast ballista allies to win the day.

https://woehammer.com/2022/01/21/top-three-aos-lists-from-coliseum-of-sigmar-floridaus-8th-january-2022/

“Zachary also won all three games and beat Stormcast Eternals/Hammers of Sigmar in Round 1, another Stormcast Eternals/Hammers of Sigmar in Round 2 and Cities of Sigmar/Tempest’s Eye in Round 3.

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
– Subfaction: Greyfyrd
 Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
 Triumphs:

Leaders
———-
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (275)*
– Artefact: Salamander Cloak
– Mount Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
– Prayers: Ember Storm

Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (General)(285)**
– Command Trait: Battle-Scarred Veteran
– Artefact: Helm of Obsidia

Battlesmith (125)**
 Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon

Battleline
———-
5x Heathguard Berzerkers (250)**

Artillery
———-
Celestar Ballista (140)*
Celestar Ballista (140)**

Units
———-
5x Auric Heathguard (250)**

Core Battalions
———-
*Battle Regiment
**Battle Regiment

Total Points: 1965 pts”

4th time I’ve seen Stormcast allies bring Greyfyrd’s to victory with last time being Drakeguards, Annihilators before that and then Aetherwings to help take objectives.

it’a unintentional but I like how that fits their Nexus mercenaries across the realms nature. :D 

The Magmic Drill would be a dual kit the other option being a cannon.

Twas my original intention actually lol.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2022 at 6:26 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Unless they’ve reworded the ability, only the models within 8” get to throw their shields. This was changed in AoS2 specifically to stop the daisy chain nonsense of 1 model getting within 0.5” and having 30 Duardin throw their shields 

On 1/23/2022 at 7:11 PM, Voltek said:

The Magmic Drill would be a dual kit the other option being a cannon.

Twas my original intention actually lol.

Definitely should bring back a Flame Cannon!  Agree a dual build makes great sense.  Maybe they could have some lava spirits as a unit?  Like K'daai Fireborn in old Azgorh?  

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 2:47 AM, Joseph Mackay said:

Unless they’ve reworded the ability, only the models within 8” get to throw their shields. This was changed in AoS2 specifically to stop the daisy chain nonsense of 1 model getting within 0.5” and having 30 Duardin throw their shields 

They did reword the ability, now it's just get the unit within 1" and everybody throws. Which is an improvement, but still kinda whatever, 20 Vulkites fishing for 6s is 340 points for like 3-4 MWs, and charge phase damage is the only damage they're gonna be doing with that sweet 1/4th as many attacks as 2E profile.

• Like 2

Want to paint a tester model for my new FS army but don’t want to commit to any particular weapon options before the new battletome which will hopefully come out at some point. Can anyone suggest a safe bet for one model to build and paint that will hopefully be fairly futureproof? Ta!!

Edited by 5kaven5lave
Typos…

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Want to paint a tester model for my new FS army but don’t want to commit to any particular weapon options before the new battletome which will hopefully come out at some point. Can anyone suggest a safe bet for one model to build and paint that will hopefully be fairly futureproof? Ta!!

Magnets, or tacky glue so you can replace them easily.

• Like 1