AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Currently this. Its not possible to get a second artefact without two foot heroes so i may just put as much as possible in a one drop. Aiside from the Runesmiters MD giving out reroll 1s to save i'm not sure whether to use the MD traits for charge mortals or easier flame breath rolls which have a better chance of roasting single models. AHG mainly there to extend the life of the battlesmith.

Allegiance: Fyreslayers

- Lodge: Lofnir

- Grand Strategy: Beast Master

- Triumphs:

Leaders

Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (285)

- General

Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (275)

- Runic Iron

- Artefact: Igneous Battle-throne

Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)

- Wyrmslayer Javelins

- Wyrmslayer Javelins

- Wyrmslayer Javelins

Battlesmith (125)

Battleline

5 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (125)

- Poleaxes

- Poleaxes

- Poleaxes

Units

5 x Auric Hearthguard (125)

3 x Aetherwings (45)

3 x Aetherwings (45)

Total: 1995 / 2000

Reinforced Units: 0 / 4

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 127

Drops: 12

• Like 1

Yeah, with the limit on leaders and all our 'Droths being leaders it's tough to fit in the minimum subcommanders to unlock the artifacts.

HitH is a solid pick for the troops to give them a boost. 

Let me know how the Runesons do. They seem underwhelming, but I admit I am no expert. Still too new to Sigmar and 3.0 especially so. 

The pair of runesons have been underwhelming, will see how the trio go as it keeps the rerolls going for longer plus i'm hoping three thrown javelins with the rerolls could do some work but i still have a wait for the final MD to be delivered. The HGB in HitH have proved effective so this is tempting.

• Like 1

Terry the Marketing Guy approaches you and tells you that, whilst they're not giving Fyreslayers new units, they want you to design a new Hero they can stick into the obligatory Versus box. The stipulation is that it can't be on a base larger than 40mm. Tactical Rocks would be preferred, but not required.

What do you come up with? 

Future Fyreslayer units will depend on the sales of this box, so no pressure. 

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2021 at 1:56 PM, Clan's Cynic said:

Terry the Marketing Guy approaches you and tells you that, whilst they're not giving Fyreslayers new units, they want you to design a new Hero they can stick into the obligatory Versus box. The stipulation is that it can't be on a base larger than 40mm. Tactical Rocks would be preferred, but not required.

I would declare that the future of Fyreslayers is in more gender representation. A big grandma figure, the RuneMama. Maternal master of magmadroths, dishing out buffs to both the existing MDs and the mini-MD cavalry unit I dream of existing in the future. On a 40mm base she could also be riding the mini-MD mount on it's hind legs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/15/2021 at 5:56 AM, Clan's Cynic said:

I would ask Terry why im limited to foot heroes as Fyreslayers already have a bunch of foot heroes on 32mm. More so then actual units. We have hero with long axe, hero with big axe, 2 heroes with banner sticks, hero with small axe or throwing sticks, 2 heroes with not-axe-but-equally-as-pointy-things....so I guess the last possible combination would be...hero with...2 axes! Or hero with slightly larger lava spitter.

I would ask Terry why not fyresteel cannons that shoot runed shells? Or indirect siege style artillery like OBR that fire lava? Or magmadroths with fricken magmapikes attached to their heads? Or other workable places. 

• LOVE IT! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys fairly new to fyreslayers and just wanted some feedback and advice on certain matchups, 1 of them being sylvaneth.

I recently played against a guy at my local club

My list was:

Hermdar Lodge

Runefather on magmadroth - General - Amulet of destiny

Runeson on magmadroth

Runesmiter - prayer of ash

Battlesmith - icon of the ancestors

Gotrek

Hearthguard berserkers x10

Hearthguard berserkers x10

Hearthguard berserkers x5

Auric Hearthguard x5

His list was

Alarielle

Kurnoth hunters with swords

3x 5 spite revenant

Treelord

Treelord ancient

Warsong revenant

Long story short i got kited all over the table, liquified by mortal wounds and deleted off the map near the end of turn 3... asides from gotrek who didnt even get to swing his axe. The mission was 5 objectives. We played ghur rules. I maxed out my points on the first 3 turns but had no army after that, Also noone got a double turn..... Any solutions to this problem? 

Edited by Malphys
typo
  • Like 2

What factions were you playing before fyreslayers? Would help to understand how you're playing.

I've steered clear of Hermdar so am probably not best qualified to help but have recently switched from Vostarg to Lofnir with some quite good results.  I have to admit I have struggled to get any value from Runesons on Magmadroths so switched these out after a while. Now 3 RFathers on Magmadroths each with the reduce rend by 1 mount trait and a RSmiter on MD with the reroll saves of one bubble has proven really difficult for opponents to deal with.

Icon of Ancestors on the Battlesmith is part of my list and with him alive I am tough as hell, without him I am burning through CP.

I played Sylvaneth last week which had two warsong revenants and gotrek but no Alarielle and I was taking mortals to the face until the Magmadroths melted the screens with roaring fyrestream and smashed through. I stayed away from Gotrek as expected. I suspect much will depend on the battleplan as well as the list and the opponents playstyle so maybe not worth over thinking and just get some more reps in with the ginger lads.

Are you running Warlord and Hunters in the Heartlands battalions?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 10:01 AM, Malakithe said:

I would ask Terry why im limited to foot heroes as Fyreslayers already have a bunch of foot heroes on 32mm. More so then actual units.

Terry goes on a twenty minute tirade about collecting resources, diminishing returns on Versus boxes for larger, new units/non-32mm Heroes, most of it goes over your head or just sounds nonsensical but that's normal with the Marketing guys.

It makes more sense when you remember Terry is the guy who also asked you to make a new Kharadron Hero and said Terrain and some kind of Not-Endless Spells for them was stupid.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Terry goes on a twenty minute tirade about collecting resources, diminishing returns on Versus boxes for larger, new units/non-32mm Heroes,

Then time to break out the AoS1 Flesh-Eaters strategy of putting a ghoul on a dragon. Take a hero and plop him on an Invocation!(yes including the fyrewall, that's just him surfing he learned from Ironjawz employers surfing on their cabbages)

Allow deepstrike(explode from the realmcrust in a wave of lava), they're permanent thanks to the rider's ur-gold so can't be gotten rid of until death and to entice the meta-heads have them commune with a seasonal Realm of Battle spell. In this case Metamorphosis so the Invocation Rider can get the Monster keyword.

Boom. Resource efficient.

Also I second Kharadron terrain. Please give them those sweet cloud-mining refineries we see in the art. Pump out the Aether-gold shares and you can reposition it once per game to give them mobile LoS and unit blockage that an army of fliers can take advantage of as the refinery's movement and chemical clouds mess with the enemy.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Thinking about getting into Fyreslayers, as my FLGS has some Magmadroths for $30 each.  Not sure if the heroes are on them, but that seems like a good deal.  Is 3 MDs too many?  I'm sure the Duardin will get a united tome someday soon but the Ur-Gold appeals to the jeweler in me.  

Are the magmadroths built or on sprue? If the sprues are untouched you'll also have the runefather, runeson and runesmiter.

3 MDs is not too many as you can take up to 5 (in Lofnir). I have been getting good results with 4 MDs but I think 2 is possibly the most efficient/competitive option as the more HGB you have the better chance you have of winning in general.

• Thanks 1

They are built and I saw some little dwarves sprinkled around them so maybe those are the riders.  I'll go take another look tonight; I'd be happy to have a brightly firey painted army.  

It'll be interesting to see IF there's a United Beards tome how they will interact with each other, and Grungi can give them something similar to what a Big Waaagh gets, and IF Grungi gets a model (with the recent lore I suspect he will indeed get a model and rules).

Is including Gotrek with Fyreslayers worth it? 

On 10/22/2021 at 1:03 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

Thinking about getting into Fyreslayers, as my FLGS has some Magmadroths for $30 each.  Not sure if the heroes are on them, but that seems like a good deal.  Is 3 MDs too many?  I'm sure the Duardin will get a united tome someday soon but the Ur-Gold appeals to the jeweler in me.  

I crunched some numbers and it seems like a good deal, since even if you buy Vulkites later you're still saving money over just buying the Start Collecting. 

Lofnir's the Lodge to run for 3+ Magmadroths. You probably won't tear up the tournament scene, but they're still pretty good in the current meta. 

But yes, you get the Runefather/Runeson/Runesmith options in the box. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Someone pointed out that looks to be a Fyreslayer rune in the flames too. Fingers crossed for those Fyreslayers vs Deepkin box rumors. :D 

So much they can build up on with the current Har-Kuron situation in the Realm of Fire after the Fyreslayer “Fyrepit” churches were taken after 9 days of battle and doused with magic blood rivers.

A box of them either wanting revenge or defending territory from Morathi-khaine’s expanding empire by using the violent Fuethan Deepkin allies(already well known for depopulating coastal villages via bringing up swarms of hungry red-finned fishes & fire-breathing sea-beasts with them) would be aces.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1