AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 3:18 PM, Xasto said:

What do you guys think is the best loadout for MSU of Vulkites?

Shields in nearly all cases I would say. MSU's are generally holding objectives or taking lightly guarded\free ones.. the shields lend well to either scenario. I believe the Pick vs Handaxe situation actually maths out about the same on average vs a 4+ save, but the Handaxe is better vs 5+ and 6+ saves.

Been playing a couple of list ideas and want to see what people think. The core is the same:
LotL
Runefather on mag
Battlesmith
Runemaster
2x20 HGB
1x10 Vulkites

With remaining points my options are:
Runesmiter on mag
Runesmiter on foot
OR
Runesmiter on mag
2 Gyrocopters
OR
Runesmiter on foot
2 Gyrocopters
Grimwrath
OR
2x Runesmiter on foot
2x Gyrocopters

Thoughts?

15 hours ago, SentinelGuy said:

Is it ever worth running MSU Fyreslayer armies instead of the 20 man HB spam? I kind of want to try it but not if it's a total waste of time.

I am really glad that GW has increased number of new armies , but it is time to stop. We need new models, cauz you can't build something interesting and playable with 3 units and droths. All discussions and roster building come to one conclusion - you need 20/40/60 HB with double activation.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

23 hours ago, Zartish said:

I am really glad that GW has increased number of new armies , but it is time to stop. We need new models, cauz you can't build something interesting and playable with 3 units and droths. All discussions and roster building come to one conclusion - you need 20/40/60 HB with double activation.

GW has basically driven AoS to the same place they took Fantasy - cookie cutter lists, spamming the few good units, hordes being best etc. The average AoS army is now the same size as a Fantasy force and costs as much, if not more.

The only difference is that there are fewer unit choices for some of the armies like Fyreslayers and the new elves.

I find that quite sad really as I do enjoy a lot of the AoS lore. Just wish the game wasn't so rock/paper/scissors now :/

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

So I finally pulled the trigger on a box of Fyreslayers, mainly to see if they compliment my KO in games. A bit disappointed in terms of the lack of alternate color schemes so I decided to try something a little different. What do you guys think?

I've been reading a little on the Fyreslayers page and it does seem like the faction is missing some major pieces like a named Hero or 2. 

IMG_20200816_213530_577.jpg

IMG_20200816_213530_578.jpg

IMG_20200816_213530_579.jpg

IMG_20200816_213530_581.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 2:28 PM, SentinelGuy said:

GW has basically driven AoS to the same place they took Fantasy - cookie cutter lists, spamming the few good units, hordes being best etc. The average AoS army is now the same size as a Fantasy force and costs as much, if not more.

Yeah. When they deleted old WHFB rumors had it that the overblown model range was one reason to stop WHFB. Now the overall range is even more overblown.

The only difference is that there are fewer unit choices for some of the armies like Fyreslayers and the new elves.

And on the other hand there are armies that offer more diversity than even the old Orcs and Goblins armies, ie Khorne and Stormcast which have – for example – so many different heroes nobody can even collect. Both armies are full of models / units you´ll never see on the tables due to internal balancing issues.

I find that quite sad really as I do enjoy a lot of the AoS lore. Just wish the game wasn't so rock/paper/scissors now :/

That´s part of GW strategy over the last couple decades IMO. Therefore I don´t think that we will ever see a different approach.

On 8/13/2020 at 2:28 PM, Zartish said:

We need new models, cauz you can't build something interesting and playable with 3 units and droths. All discussions and roster building come to one conclusion - you need 20/40/60 HB with double activation.

Did you ever try to play something different? The fact that a certain build is able to enter top 3 on large tournaments doesn´t mean that there can be builds that are able to enter top 10 or at least to end in the upper third.

It´s up to the gamers to show interesting builds, it´s not GWs task. All they have to do is to give good rules and nice models which they actually do when it comes down to AoS, especially compared to 40k IMO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

HI all, so i come here because i need your advice and help for my first fyreslaer list. 

The list is

- Lodge: Hermdar

Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (270)

-    General
-    Command Trait : Warrior Indominate
-    Artefact :  Tyrant Slayer
-    Magmadroth Trait : Coal-heart Ancient

Auric Runemaster (120)- Prayer : Ember Storm

Battlesmith (140) Artefact :  The Nulsidian Icon

Auric Runesmiter (120)-    Forge Key
-    Prayer : Searing Heat

20 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (400)- Poleaxes

20 x Vulkite Berzerkers (280) War-Picks & Slingshields

20 x Vulkite Berzerkers (280)Pairs of Handaxes

10 x Auric Hearthguard (240)

Lords of the Lodge (150)

What's you think about this list please? And if someone can help me with the gameplay and strat please. I dont know wich unit teleport with my runesmiter.

Thanks all

Hi,

I've been considering my options for a second AoS army and Fyreslayers is one of the main contenders for me, alongside Phoenix Temple Cities of Sigmar and warrior heavy Slaves to Darkness.

My first army is Stormcast, mostly because they came in the starter box and were, theoretically, tough, simple to play and satisfying on the table. Instead they're a massive sprawling range of underperformers and shooting. Which is a shame.

Can you lot try and sell me on the army? What's cool? What works and what doesn't? What's the wackier out there builds and what's the dependable workhorses, etc.

I play some games competitively (Epic, Warmaster, Firestorm Armada) but haven't done so with AoS and don't really follow any of that side of the hobby for it. Mostly I just put models down and push them around the table until someone points out that I cannot possibly overcome the victory point discrepancy and I lost two turns ago...

I don't mind much either way but I'd like to have my expectations in the right place. If I play Fyreslayers am I likely to be an underdog in match ups or soaring at the heights of power?

Just skimming the warscrolls and the Magmadroths seem kinda...pillowfisted? Is that an incorrect impression? They almost seem more useful as a way of getting more wounds and a bigger base for increased buff auras and surviving than they do for fighting stuff.

For me the main draw that got me to pay attention to them was just how tough and survivable they were. I want my models to survive, to be on the table for a while, to have a chance to show off their stuff throughout the game. Something like Slaaneshi suicide charges or Skaven disposable blow self up lolz is anti-fun for me. Similarly that's what has me looking at the Phoenix Temple, high durability, revives, etc.

Another plus is the small range of units. I have a collector streak with a kind of 'one of everything!' going on which makes a much smaller range of kits a nice thing as it helps reduce that urge and keeps the painting queue manageable.

I also like how these dwarves are not the beer drinking, stoneworking stereotype that I am so so sick of.

I picked up a box to test out paint schemes (see below, I will need to find a faster way of getting the skin done as that's too many layers and glazes for an army) and like the end result. Realm of light > lots of sun > dark skin. Then yellow and white as contrasting colours and gold as a warm tone to tie yellow and brown together while having a distinct finish to the other colours on the model.

IMG_1928.JPG

IMG_1930.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 5:50 AM, Heaven_lord said:

It's interesting... I don't think you need Gotrek but he does what he does best. I've been enjoying running Vostarg with 2 Gunhaulers and 40 HGB and it's worked out the best for me lately giving me something to snipe off those 5-wound heroes.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:46 PM, CorvoMaltes said:

Hi guys, quick question about the lords of the lodge battalion:

- I use the command point and pile and in and attack first.

- When I attack again, Does it mean that I can pile in again or just attack?

So long as you're within 3" of an enemy unit or made a charge move that turn then you can pile in when attacking that turn, period.

The Vostarg rules have now been legitimised for play without opponents permission:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Jp8AWDibSM2831yA.pdf

Q: When choosing an army for a Pitched Battle, what publications can I use without my opponent’s permission?

A: You can use the warscrolls for units with a Pitched Battle profile listed in the General’s Handbook 2020 (excluding those listed in the Legends Pitched Battle Profiles section) and the warscrolls for units with a Pitched Battle profile in a publication that has a release date of August 2020 or later. In addition, when choosing your army, you can use rules from any of the following publications and any that have a release date of August 2020 or later:

Tome Celestial: The Vostarg Lodge – White Dwarf June 2019

Edited by plavski

Hey folks, 

quick question about the chamon-realm artifact in combination with the -1 rend reducing magmadroth-trait:

From my understanding the trait reduces rend characteristic by 1, which means that -2 becomes -1 which then gets ignored by the chamon artifact, so the combination lets our magmadroth effectively ignore -2 rend in close combat. Is that correct?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I’m considering starting Fyreslayers but from what I’ve read, they seem quite boring to paint and play with all of the models looking the same and such small unit options. Is this true?

If it is, is there any chance of new models that might make the faction a bit more diverse? 

• 2 weeks later...

I find them straightforward to paint, easy to transport and fun to play. Models looking the same is a curse that affects many factions, especially the early ones like FEC or Ironjawz, so FS aren't alone in their uniformity and limited model range. If you want to spice things up, you can bring them into a Barak Thryng KO list and do good work there, or ally in whatever you want.

The real problem with the line is that FS are effectively a 'solved' faction right now. However, there are few things as entertaining as storming down the field with four magmadroths followed up by a bunch of angry chaps from the midlands while one bloke hangs out at the back stoking his magical pizza oven. FS is good ****** yo.

• Thanks 1

Lofnir is a solid and fun lodge, but the battle line requirements can put a crimp on your points, so make sure you're filling them out right. The synergies mean you naturally want to lean into Magmadroths and Aurics, so taking a Runemaster as general lets you ease up on the battleline. Plays strongly into the synergy of multiple runesons on droths to be a really hard punching force - two of them together give them each re-rolling hits while giving one of them the Ash-horn ancient mount trait gives them both save re-rolls of 1 too. You can lean heavily into making your droths really powerful, but they are expensive units and don't get BCR-style bonuses for being on objectives, so warm bodies will still be needed. One more thing to note is that the Runesmiter on droth doesn't give you the tunnelling ability, so you'll need one on foot to do the deep strike. Having one on a droth is really useful for providing survivable buffs where you need them, so you might end up slightly taxed by the deep strike requirement. You can only deep strike a single unit too, but it can be fun to drop a big group of aurics in the backline to just do a ton of shooting work.

I've found Lofnir to be really fun, but a challenge on the list building side. You generally have to compromise somewhere to make something that takes all comers.

Edited by plavski
  • Like 1

Hearing that, I think I might try a list more friendly for beginners first!

Are there any other lodges that Auric Hearthguard would be better in? (I love the models too much 😅)

Would this work as a list?

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Lofnir
LEADERS
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (270)
- General
- Command Trait: Explosive Charge
- Artefact: Igneous Battle-throne
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (250)
- Runic Iron
- Artefact: Ash-cloud Rune
- Magmadroth Trait: Ash-horn Ancient
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (230)
- Ancestral War-axe
- Artefact: Obsidian Glowhelm
- Magmadroth Trait: Flame-scale Youngblood
UNITS
10 x Auric Hearthguard (240)
5 x Auric Hearthguard (120)
5 x Auric Hearthguard (120)
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (140)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
- War-Picks & Slingshields
- Handaxes & Slingshields
BATTALIONS
Forge Brethren (160)
Warrior Kinband (140)

Runic Fyrewall (40)

I tried to get low drops using the battalions and I felt that I had to include a screen, hence the Vulkites. 

Personally, I've never really worried about being the one to dictate first turn, so taking lower drops hasn't done much for me.

I have found that 5 aurics on their own are really fragile. They need a bunch of support for sure, and one of their best assets is being able to draw off wounds from your heroes. If you're not leaning into their strengths then they are mediocre shooting with a 5+ save. They need a lot of support as this game is riddled with -1 or -2 rend these days, so your aurics will happily get chewed through in no time. 

I also never start a list without a Battlesmith as a 12" bubble of +1 save is just far too good to pass up and actually makes the aurics moderately tough. You generally also need to push something else into them, like putting them near a firewall for the free mystic shield, or prayer of ash for the +1 save again. Aurics have their place - they excel against monsters and doing chip damage. But unless you lean heavily into them and get their synergies up, they're just not gonna do much for you. Heaven help you if they get into melee - only 1 attack on 3s doing 1 damage. Just not really good enough.

I'd go heavy into a single block to take advantage of the Torrent of Magma command ability. The +1 to hit and wound is very good, but you want it going on a large chunk of models. It feels terrible to spend a precious command point on a 5 man unit, and you really want that buffing synergy. I really like Forge Brethren as it helps you apply the +1 save where you need it, and as you get to do it in the enemy hero phase, you can make sure it's up from turn one, even if you're not going first. But you just have to realise that you're paying a lot in tax, as three units of aurics is expensive and a 5 man unit isn't much on its own.

I also think that if you're going to take a Runeson, you should take two for the combi-buffing. Taking one on its own misses out a large part of their value - re-rolling all hits when they're within 6" of another Runeson. If you take one, you're just flat out giving up this ability even though you're paying for it in warscroll price.

If I was gonna put together a 2k list that leaned into Aurics for Lofnir, I'd do something like this:

+ Leader +

Auric Runemaster [120pts]: 0. Explosive Charge, 3. Prayer of Ash, Brazier-staff, Fyresteel Throwing Axe, General, Runic Iron

Auric Runeson on Magmadroth [230pts]: 0. Igneous Battle-throne, 6. Ash-born Ancient, Ancestral War-axe, Blazing Maw, Claws and Horns, Fyresteel Throwing Axe, Roaring Fyrestream

Auric Runeson on Magmadroth [230pts]: 5. Coal-heart Ancient, Ancestral War-axe, Blazing Maw, Claws and Horns, Fyresteel Throwing Axe, Roaring Fyrestream

Battlesmith [140pts]: 3. The Nulsidian Icon, Ancestral Battle-axe, Fyresteel Throwing Axe

+ Battleline +

Vulkite Berzerkers [140pts]: 10 Vulkite Berzerkers, Fyresteel Throwing Axe, Fyresteel War-pick

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Forge Brethren [1,130pts]
. Auric Hearthguard: 4x 5 Auric Hearthguards, Fyresteel Throwing Axe, Magmapike, Molten Rockbolts
. Auric Hearthguard: 5 Auric Hearthguards, Fyresteel Throwing Axe, Magmapike, Molten Rockbolts
. Auric Hearthguard: 5 Auric Hearthguards, Fyresteel Throwing Axe, Magmapike, Molten Rockbolts
. Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth: 5. Coal-heart Ancient, 6. Gilded Claws, Blazing Maw, Claws and Horns, Forge Key, Fyresteel Throwing Axe, Latch-axe, Roaring Fyrestream

++ Total: [1,990pts] ++

You're obviously lacking the punch of a HGB list, but three droths scampering up the field can do a lot of work. Properly supported with the right overlapping buffs, the two runesons will chew things up. This is very much a "one big fist to the face" type list, as while you can have moderate tankiness with all the rolling save buffs, you don't really have a huge amount of mainline survivability. Lofnir naturally throws a ton of points into Magmadroths so unless you take full advantage of them, you could be left high and dry. They do work though, and the volcanic blood just really makes people think twice about getting them in melee.

I've always enjoyed my Lofnir games as win or lose, your big lizard chaps are having a great time. But remembering to play in the traditional Fyreslayers way of maintaining wholly within buff circles is the key to make it really work for you. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I think I might go for an easier list to play. I was thinking maybe Vostarg?

I found this list on the honest wargamer website. What does everyone think?

I think it looks really fun to play but screening might be a problem with no fight first.

Spoiler

Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (270)

- General- Command Trait: Fiery Endurance- Artefact: Vosaxe- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient

Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (250)

- Forge Key- Artefact: Droth-helm- Magmadroth Trait: Ash-horn Ancient- Prayer: Gilded Claws

Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (250)

- Forge Key- Prayer: Searing Heat

Auric Runemaster (120)

- Prayer: Prayer of Ash

Battlesmith (140)

20 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (400)

- Broadaxes

10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (240)

- Broadaxes

10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (140)

- Handaxes & Slingshields

Lords of the Lodge (150)