AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Malakithe said:

New list idea. Unfortunately there is only so many variations we can come up with until points shift or new units are added. The unit of 10 HB will pop out with the Runesmiter. Other then that everything else is fairly standard. Wound sponges, objective holders, Fyrewall. 

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Hermdar

Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)
- General
- Trait: Warrior Indominate
- Artefact: Tyrant Slayer
- Magmadroth Trait: Ash-horn Ancient
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash
Battlesmith (140)
- Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Forge Key
- Prayer: Searing Heat
20 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (400)
- Poleaxes
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (240)
- Broadaxes
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (140)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
5 x Auric Hearthguard (120)
5 x Auric Hearthguard (120)
Lords of the Lodge (140)
Runic Fyrewall (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 150

I give a like for Magmadroth 👍🏻

Did anyone try the forge brethren battalion? 

I think it can be pretty strong to counter doubleturns as it says „At the beginning of the enemy hero phase“ and the +1 save lasts until our next hero phase. 

So if the enemy goes twice in a row you could give +2 save. 

Sounds solid in theory. 

• Like 1

I'm looking at kicking off a day of 1250 games with my gaming club. Here's my proposal for my FS list:

- Lodge: Hermdar
Auric Runefather (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Warrior Indominate
- Artefact: Tyrant Slayer
Auric Runemaster (120)
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Forge Key
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash
Battlesmith (140)
- Poleaxes
- Broadaxes
Lords of the Lodge (140)

Total: 1240 / 1250
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 82

I'm currently wondering whether the battalion is worth it over another unit of vulkite or a squad of auric hearthguard. Will a runefather on magmadroth have more of an impact at this points level?

Edited by plavski

Hey all, thinking about getting into these naked bois and need some intro advice.  I’m not new to aos but haven’t played fyreslayers before (for or against) and a lot of the lists online seem to be before the hearthguard unit size was reduced.  Here is what I was thinking for an initial list:   Am I on the right track?  Any advice or alterations?

Edit: Actually, I should probably drop the runemaster for a runesmiter on foot huh?  Seems like he is just all around better... that relying on 6s from the runemaster seems kinda wack

1ADF49BC-9E99-438E-9902-939398C978C7.png

Edited by chyortskazal

2 hours ago, chyortskazal said:

Hey all, thinking about getting into these naked bois and need some intro advice.  I’m not new to aos but haven’t played fyreslayers before (for or against) and a lot of the lists online seem to be before the hearthguard unit size was reduced.  Here is what I was thinking for an initial list:   Am I on the right track?  Any advice or alterations?

Edit: Actually, I should probably drop the runemaster for a runesmiter on foot huh?  Seems like he is just all around better... that relying on 6s from the runemaster seems kinda wack

1ADF49BC-9E99-438E-9902-939398C978C7.png

If you drop the Runemaster you lose the Lords of the Lodge Battalion. Also he is quite good at keeping the forge running, doing prayer of ash 😉

7 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

If you drop the Runemaster you lose the Lords of the Lodge Battalion. Also he is quite good at keeping the forge running, doing prayer of ash 😉

Oh right haha, I knew I put him in there  for a reason!  Cheers.

otherwise does it seem a good start?

Edited by chyortskazal

Speaking of typical, I really liked the idea of the top Cancon list that went Hermdar with LotL + Forge Brethren. Seemed to built on stacking the HGB units down to 2-3+ saves quite easily, making them even more akin to OBR if I'm honest.. though it seems most just go for LotL + Vulkites for screening\objectives.

Thoughts? I'm likely going to drop my OBR in favor of Fyreslayers so keen to hear it from the ones currently playing it competitively.

3 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Speaking of typical, I really liked the idea of the top Cancon list that went Hermdar with LotL + Forge Brethren. Seemed to built on stacking the HGB units down to 2-3+ saves quite easily, making them even more akin to OBR if I'm honest.. though it seems most just go for LotL + Vulkites for screening\objectives.

Thoughts? I'm likely going to drop my OBR in favor of Fyreslayers so keen to hear it from the ones currently playing it competitively.

I've been practising both the top Cancon list and top LVO list and they are both solid. In fact they are my favourites over all the lists I've tested, they stand out,but I can't decide on which for a tournament I'm going to, and list submissions in about a day. 

Regarding the 3rd place cancon list, it's got so much power, and after a few games little synergies most other don't have really start to stand out. It plays like pre faq in the sense you have two major threats and maybe a weak 3rd objective screen. Whereas the LVO lists and the list I took to cancon, has 3 block of hearthguard to threaten more of the board. It's a tough one. Anyone else have thoughts on this? 

Edited by Sralo
  • Like 1

I saw this on fb. I changed up some items. This looks very inspiring and ridiculous. With the buffs a single Grimmy can pile in and attack 4 times in the combat phase. 5 if he dies. The CA will allow multiple to attack one after another which is why I went with the Glowhelm to try to get more command points. 

- Lodge: Greyfyrd

Auric Runefather (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Battle-scarred Veteran
- Artefact: Obsidian Glowhelm
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Artefact: Helm of Obsidia
- Prayer: Prayer of Grimnir's Fury
Battlesmith (140)
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Forge Key
- Artefact: Ash-cloud Rune
Grimwrath Berzerker (100)
5 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (120)
Lords of the Lodge (140)
Runic Fyrewall (40)

Wounds: 124

Edited by Malakithe
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

I saw this on fb. I changed up some items. This looks very inspiring and ridiculous. With the buffs a single Grimmy can pile in and attack 4 times in the combat phase. 5 if he dies. The CA will allow multiple to attack one after another which is why I went with the Glowhelm to try to get more command points. 

- Lodge: Greyfyrd

Auric Runefather (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Battle-scarred Veteran
- Artefact: Obsidian Glowhelm
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Artefact: Helm of Obsidia
- Prayer: Prayer of Grimnir's Fury
Battlesmith (140)
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Forge Key
- Artefact: Ash-cloud Rune
Lords of the Lodge (140)
Runic Fyrewall (40)

Wounds: 124

How is grimwrath supposed to pile in that many times? Grimwrath's own extra pile in triggers only once at the end of combat, regardless of how many times he attacked before. Prayer gives him one extra pile-in/attack in hero phase. He can get 4 only if he dies during the "end of combat phase" but that happens very very rarely as it requires some specific end of combat ability. Greyfyrd Command doesn't also give him extra pile ins, merely allows him to cheat at pile-in order.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

How is grimwrath supposed to pile in that many times? Grimwrath's own extra pile in triggers only once at the end of combat, regardless of how many times he attacked before. Prayer gives him one extra pile-in/attack in hero phase. He can get 4 only if he dies during the "end of combat phase" but that happens very very rarely as it requires some specific end of combat ability. Greyfyrd Command doesn't also give him extra pile ins, merely allows him to cheat at pile-in order.

I miss read how those abilities are worded/worked

When I see lists with, for example, 2 blocks of 20 HGB, 1 armed with Broadaxes and the other with Poleaxes, I often see the one with the broadaxes in the LotL battallion. Is there a particular reason for this or does this just come down to preference for the unit to swing twice?

1 hour ago, Xasto said:

When I see lists with, for example, 2 blocks of 20 HGB, 1 armed with Broadaxes and the other with Poleaxes, I often see the one with the broadaxes in the LotL battallion. Is there a particular reason for this or does this just come down to preference for the unit to swing twice?

My pet theory is that when you go up against an army that makes you re-roll sixes to hit, you don't want your lovely LotL unit to whiff all its mortal wound attacks. But I don't know if that's the right one.

17 hours ago, Xasto said:

It really just comes down to reliability if you ask me. Obviously if you're up against something like NH you would probably want the Poleaxes but.. against almost anything else, Broadaxes (especially stacked with the rend rune) are just far more reliable at wiping anything they're engaged with. Not to say Poleaxes won't either, I think they're just better against certain things and a double-pile in won't be as beneficial.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gwendar said:

It really just comes down to reliability if you ask me. Obviously if you're up against something like NH you would probably want the Poleaxes but.. against almost anything else, Broadaxes (especially stacked with the rend rune) are just far more reliable at wiping anything they're engaged with. Not to say Poleaxes won't either, I think they're just better against certain things and a double-pile in won't be as beneficial.

Am I doing sth wrong? Even against a 2+ Save the Broadaxes are better with ~22 damage vs ~12 MWs from Poleaxes. Here I didnt bother calculating the normal Damage as its a 2+ after all, maybe 2-3 slip through. 

But the calculation was Vostarg so +1 hit / reroll wounds. 

Edit: I was calculating 41 Attacks. Even without + to hit the Broadaxes come out ahead. 

And considering how many ways of making a unit reroll 6s to hit there are I‘d say the Poleaxes are just „worse“ in every case than the Broadaxes.

Edited by Phasteon

49 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

Am I doing sth wrong? Even against a 2+ Save the Broadaxes are better with ~22 damage vs ~12 MWs from Poleaxes. Here I didnt bother calculating the normal Damage as its a 2+ after all, maybe 2-3 slip through. 

But the calculation was Vostarg so +1 hit / reroll wounds. 

Edit: I was calculating 41 Attacks. Even without + to hit the Broadaxes come out ahead. 

And considering how many ways of making a unit reroll 6s to hit there are I‘d say the Poleaxes are just „worse“ in every case than the Broadaxes.

Huh? I was saying that Broadaxes are better all around? I was simply saying that against un-rendable saves you can generally get more out of Poleaxes.

I just did the below real quick to show some averages. This is with units of 20 with the -1 rend rune, RR wounds (Runesmiter) and RR 1's to hit either from the generic CA or from the Runemaster:

image.png.532390246cd1e95a13ed4eed0b2a6fe3.png

What it doesn't show is how much of that Poleaxe damage is MW's, but I would think that hitting NH or an unrendable Stonehorn would give Poleaxes the edge. By how much though, I don't know.. I'm sure someone can\has done more advanced math on it 😅

35 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Huh? I was saying that Broadaxes are better all around? I was simply saying that against un-rendable saves you can generally get more out of Poleaxes.

I just did the below real quick to show some averages. This is with units of 20 with the -1 rend rune, RR wounds (Runesmiter) and RR 1's to hit either from the generic CA or from the Runemaster:

image.png.532390246cd1e95a13ed4eed0b2a6fe3.png

What it doesn't show is how much of that Poleaxe damage is MW's, but I would think that hitting NH or an unrendable Stonehorn would give Poleaxes the edge. By how much though, I don't know.. I'm sure someone can\has done more advanced math on it 😅

I know, I just realized after doing the math that Poleaxes are NEVER better or even equal than Broadaxes. Maybe against a 2+ Save rerollable but cmon xD

41 Attacks equals in 6-7 6s so 12-14 MWs. 

Not worth the damage of 2 and always having -1 imo. 

And NH are no threat anyway, so building Poleaxes just in case is no concern for me 😂

15 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

I know, I just realized after doing the math that Poleaxes are NEVER better or even equal than Broadaxes. Maybe against a 2+ Save rerollable but cmon xD

41 Attacks equals in 6-7 6s so 12-14 MWs. 

Not worth the damage of 2 and always having -1 imo. 

And NH are no threat anyway, so building Poleaxes just in case is no concern for me 😂

Even then I think with the extra rend (especially if you get -2 rend) you're still obliterating that 2+ save RR'ing 20 PE Mortek Guard sitting in cover with that double pile-in on Broadaxes compared to Poleaxes.

I dunno.. I'm currently building into Fyreslayers in place of OBR and I've considered having 20 of each. You never know what could be changed in updates that would directly or indirectly affect the choice between the two. Having both simply gives you options to deal with different situations if they arise. I agree though.. NH in general aren't really a 'frightening' thing to go up against anyway 😅

First test model done. Going for a Duergar\Dark Iron look. And yeah, I did without the mohawks.. I think the helmet + mohawk combo looks... odd. If it was just mohawks like a traditional old world Slayer I'd be down but, ah well. This gives them a more traditional dwarf look (minus of course the runes embedded in their skin...) which I really prefer.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 hours ago, Malakithe said:

How did you do the skin? I like the Dark Iron look also

Sprayed vallejo black primer, then vallejo cold grey at a 45-90 degree angle.. so basically a zenithal prime without the white. From there I just used a thinned down Basilicanum Grey for the skin and that was pretty much it.

Also, I know you didn't ask but the Vallejo Metal Color airbrush line is absolutely nuts. The metals were all brushed on with that paint and 1 coat over what was basically dark grey had perfect coverage... all without being tacky looking\feeling like other metallic paints tend to be. Highly recommend them.

Edited by Gwendar