AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Neomaxim said:

Anyone have suggestions on Fyreslayers vs. Shootcast?  Is it just a tough match without skewing towards it... adding extra underground Hearthguard, etc...?

Edit: For context, I am helping my Father-in-law as he is really getting into AoS.  He's competitive by nature, but a deeply good sport, so I was surprised when his first 2000pt game at a store was against someone who brought the 9 Longstrike, all shooty Stormcast, didn't offer a handshake, etc...

On paper I would've been sure my Dad-in-law had the win.  He was rocking the big Zerker blobs and foot heroes, and had a small unit of the shooter-Hearthguard as ablative wounds for his heroes.  From what he says he thinks giving up first round hurt him as the army took out well above average numbers of Berserkers, which put him on a perpetual backfoot.  No one ever got the double turn either, so it was just attrition.

Any suggestions I can offer him?  I want him to know he didn't get a ****** of an army, far from, but that there are just plain good and tough match-ups in this hobby too.

Yeah Shootcast is a tough draw for us.

I never write a list without Runic Fyrewall, also- the line of sight protection can be key for moving up your stunty foot heroes.

On 11/13/2019 at 11:39 AM, Neomaxim said:

Anyone have suggestions on Fyreslayers vs. Shootcast?  Is it just a tough match without skewing towards it... adding extra underground Hearthguard, etc...?

Edit: For context, I am helping my Father-in-law as he is really getting into AoS.  He's competitive by nature, but a deeply good sport, so I was surprised when his first 2000pt game at a store was against someone who brought the 9 Longstrike, all shooty Stormcast, didn't offer a handshake, etc...

On paper I would've been sure my Dad-in-law had the win.  He was rocking the big Zerker blobs and foot heroes, and had a small unit of the shooter-Hearthguard as ablative wounds for his heroes.  From what he says he thinks giving up first round hurt him as the army took out well above average numbers of Berserkers, which put him on a perpetual backfoot.  No one ever got the double turn either, so it was just attrition.

Any suggestions I can offer him?  I want him to know he didn't get a ****** of an army, far from, but that there are just plain good and tough match-ups in this hobby too.

firewall and runesmitters ability to teleport a unit. that should help with the shooting. not sure how many drops the storm cast player has but the list i use is 4 drops. this helps in picking who goes first. if you go first try to hold points and/or do a 9" charge his key unit. I run hermdar so at least if your shooting my runefather on mgamadroth having the -1 to wounds helps.

Gents , Hearthguard or Vulkite are both on 32 mm bases. Does anyone see it as problem interchanging them ? Same base size , same model. Only difference is the weapon load out. But BIG difference in $$$ I don’t see it as a huge deal , what does everyone think. For me personally I’m usually fine with proxies as long as they’re reasonable and clearly marked. Same size , model type etc.

1 hour ago, Biasco said:

Gents , Hearthguard or Vulkite are both on 32 mm bases. Does anyone see it as problem interchanging them ? Same base size , same model. Only difference is the weapon load out. But BIG difference in $$$ I don’t see it as a huge deal , what does everyone think. For me personally I’m usually fine with proxies as long as they’re reasonable and clearly marked. Same size , model type etc.

That's something you have to ask your opponent about. Doesn't really matter what we say. For me it's fine for a few games to test them out., 

For tournament use you need the right model 

To be honest I’ve seen much worse permitted at tournaments but I totally get your point it’s a fair one . The wife just bought me a giant Fyreslayers army on EBay for Xmas... Can’t wait to test it out . Actually thinking trying more Vulkite so I can throw in more bodies and use some SE shooting to snipe enemy characters .

2 hours ago, Biasco said:

To be honest I’ve seen much worse permitted at tournaments but I totally get your point it’s a fair one . The wife just bought me a giant Fyreslayers army on EBay for Xmas... Can’t wait to test it out . Actually thinking trying more Vulkite so I can throw in more bodies and use some SE shooting to snipe enemy characters .

Hey man!  It's Mark and Nikki!  If you need help testing out Fyreslayer stuff, let me know.  For your need they will not disappoint!

On 11/17/2019 at 8:07 PM, Biasco said:

I had a similar question a page or two back, and more specifically, what if we use extra weapons from the Aurics sprue on the Vulkite bodies?

On 11/17/2019 at 11:07 PM, Biasco said:

Hell, i use old fantasy dwarf slayer models for my Vulkite proxies. It does really depend on your opponents, but as long as you arent playing with ****** it should be fine. I mean, its not like the fyreslayers have huge differences in models, its almost entirely just weapon load-outs. The main thing is being able to tell them apart on the tabletop, it'd be unfair for your opponent to not be able to tell which unit is which. So maybe different color schemes so you can differentiate and just let your opponent know what you have. 

Tournament play has to be actual WYSIWYG models usually, which is kinda ****** too IMO, especially armies like this.  

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 9:37 PM, Bimli said:

Hello folks just wondering if anyone has a 100% answer to this. forge brethren does it allow only 1 single unit to get +1 save or +1 per auric hearthguard?

Its one unit that gets +1 to save regardless of how many are in range. Now it lasts until your following turn so if they get the double turn you can choose another unit to get +1 or the same unit and they will get + 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone ! How does the Hemdar comand ability (strike first) and the lords of the lodge bataillion interact ?

Does that mean that the unit strike first twice ? Or does it strike first, then strike again but following the normal activation rule for the second pile-in/attack ?

If the second activation follow the normal activations rules, can you use the command ability twice to strike first twice ?

How does it is played out in tournaments ?

Thanks

Edited by ledha

10 hours ago, ledha said:

Hello everyone ! How does the Hemdar comand ability (strike first) and the lords of the lodge bataillion interact ?

Does that mean that the unit strike first twice ? Or does it strike first, then strike again but following the normal activation rule for the second pile-in/attack ?

If the second activation follow the normal activations rules, can you use the command ability twice to strike first twice ?

How does it is played out in tournaments ?

Thanks

Lords of the lodge just allows you to pick the unit twice in the same combat phase, they don’t immediately get to pile in and attack a second time. 

With both abilities in place, in your turn you would activate the Hearthguard first (with the Hermdar ability) in the start of the phase. Then, when normal combat order starts, you get first pick so could make the same unit attack and pile in a second time (using lords of the lodge) before your opponent has had a chance to do anything. 
However in your opponents turn, whilst you could still use the command ability to get in the first swing, once the normal combat starts your opponent gets first pick before the Hearthguard could have their second activation.

hope that helps!

Seems we came out pretty well from the December points update:

Hearthguard Berzerkers still 120 for 5 but now max out at 20 for 400 points

Vulkites now down 20 points to 140

Was honestly expecting way worse, especially given the community suggestions for fixing HBs, but this seem fair and still easily playable.