AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hey all. New to Fyreslayers and pretty new to the game. Have a question about the Runesmiter and Magmadroths. I plan on picking up 3 of the start collecting boxes and have been wondering if the Runesmiter on Magmadroth is worth it? If I have my Runefather I get Hearthguard as battline, and the 2 Runesons that compete with eachother seems pretty sweet.

I guess tldr Runesmiter on foot is great, is it worth putting one on a Magmadroth instead of 2 Runesons?

10 hours ago, animusCompassionist said:

Hey all. New to Fyreslayers and pretty new to the game. Have a question about the Runesmiter and Magmadroths. I plan on picking up 3 of the start collecting boxes and have been wondering if the Runesmiter on Magmadroth is worth it? If I have my Runefather I get Hearthguard as battline, and the 2 Runesons that compete with eachother seems pretty sweet.

I guess tldr Runesmiter on foot is great, is it worth putting one on a Magmadroth instead of 2 Runesons?

I run a Runesmiter on Magmadroth pretty regularly, and he definitely has gas in the engine in certain builds (especially in Forge Brethren with the Shardfist Pelt), but if you are getting three anyhow I'd say get two of the Runesons going because they really do get quite hitty whilst showing off for one another. The Runefather hits hardest of them all, and his 3" reach makes him great for doing some damage from behind the lines, but I rarely find myself using him because I don't play Lords of the Lodge usually. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheNotebookGM said:

I run a Runesmiter on Magmadroth pretty regularly, and he definitely has gas in the engine in certain builds (especially in Forge Brethren with the Shardfist Pelt), but if you are getting three anyhow I'd say get two of the Runesons going because they really do get quite hitty whilst showing off for one another. The Runefather hits hardest of them all, and his 3" reach makes him great for doing some damage from behind the lines, but I rarely find myself using him because I don't play Lords of the Lodge usually. 

Thanx a bunch! I will likely go with the 2 Runesons. Any preferences for kit? 2 Axes, 2 javelin or 1 of each? Also, another noob question, for Vulkites, I was thinking of going tankier with shields and picks for the rend, but I see a LOT of people going shield and Axe. And here is where the noob intensifies, is the +1 to hit that the axes have over the picks worth not having the rend?

Edited by animusCompassionist

For Runesons both weapons kinda suck but I prefer the axes because they can be turned into a somewhat decent melee weapon when you buff them with rerollable hits, rerollable wounds, and +1-2 Rend.

For Vulkites I prefer Pickaxe + Shield for a defensive style of play, but dual axes is good if you plan on letting the unit die and attack again with Berzerk Fury. Normally a screening unit will just die and accomplish nothing, but berzerk fury with rerollable hits and wounds lets your squad of 10 Vulkites do an average of 16-17 wounds back (before saves) when they die. This is pretty scary for a lot of big monsters in the game.

Edited by PJetski
  • Thanks 1

Hello

Is this too many Grimwrath Berzerkers 😂

Allegiance: Fyreslayers - Mortal Realm: Aqshy - Lodge: Vostarg

LEADERS

Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280) - General - Command Trait : Fiery Endurance - Artefact : Vosaxe - Magmadroth Trait : Coal-heart Ancient

Auric Runesmiter (120) - Forge Key - Prayer : Searing Heat

Auric Runemaster (120) - Prayer : Prayer of Ash

Auric Runemaster (120) - Prayer : Prayer of Grimnir's Fury

Grimwrath Berzerker (100)

UNITS

10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (240) - Poleaxes

10 x Auric Hearthguard (240)

2000/2000 Points

The army seems to be legal?

WarscrollBuilderList.pdf

Edited by BugzySp00n

1 hour ago, BugzySp00n said:

Hello

LEADERS

Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280) - General - Command Trait : Fiery Endurance - Artefact : Vosaxe - Magmadroth Trait : Coal-heart Ancient

UNITS

2000/2000 Points

WarscrollBuilderList.pdf 5.73 kB · 1 download

Too many Grimwraths? I don't think there is such a thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BugzySp00n said:

Hello

LEADERS

UNITS

2000/2000 Points

WarscrollBuilderList.pdf 5.73 kB · 2 downloads

Too many? I think you mean too few.  This is the list you want:

Lodge: Greyfyrd

Leaders: Runefather on foot with Battle-scarred Veteran and Helm of Obsidia

Battlesmith with Nulsidian Icon

Battleline 

2 X 5 Hearthguard with Broadaxes

1 x 5 Hearthguard with Pole axes

Other

14 x Grimwraith 

Use the lodge command ability to activate most of the grimwraiths at the same time!

• Like 1

Looking for some list advice.  I've got a big tournament in month, not sure want I want to bring.

Played a tournament his past weekend with this list:

• Lodge: Hermdar
  • Leaders: Runefather on Dragon with Tyrant slayer, general
  • Battlesmith
  • Runemaster, Ash cloud Rune, Prayer of Ash
  • Runesmiter, forge key, searing heat
  • Battleline: 20 Hearthguard Berzerkers, broadaxes
  • 2 x 10 Vulkite Berzerkers with picks and shields
  • Other: 10 Auric Hearthguard
  • 1 Grimwraith
  • Magmic Invocations: Flame spitter.
  • Battalion: Lords of the Lodge
  • 2000/2000

I came 2nd in the tournament, and could've won but my opponent made 3 critical long bomb charges in 1 turn.  It happens. Anyway, it was a smaller local tournament, so i still have my doubts about the viability of that list against stronger opponents.  So I'm think this list might be good:

• Lodge: Hermdar
  • Leaders: Runefather on Foot with Tyrant slayer, general
  • Battlesmith
  • Runesmiter, forge key Prayer of Ash
  • Runesmiter, forge key, searing heat
  • Battleline: 20 Hearthguard Berzerkers, broadaxes
  • 10 Hearthguard Berzerkers, poleaxes
  • 2 x 10 Vulkite Berzerkers with picks and shields
  • Other: 10 Auric Hearthguard
  • 10 Auric Hearthguard
  • Magmic Invocations: none
  • Battalion: none
  • 2000/2000

The tournament next month released there package, and the scenario selection greatly favours mobility, so having the option for 2 separate deepstrikes helps there.  Losing LotL defiantly hurts though.  I plan and trying out that list this weekend, but any imput/ thoughts are welcome 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be starting to collect the Fyreslayers kits for my KO list soon (10 Hearthguard berserkers and a Grimwrath), and I had a question. Anyone know any good way to make lady Fyreslayers? I wanted to try to include a couple. KO have bulky enough gear that I can just get a dorf lady head on there and it basically works. But Fyreslayers don't wear nearly as much so it's a bit trickier. Heroforge is an option but that's like $20+ per model.

On 10/2/2019 at 12:39 PM, DavionStar said:

I'm going to be starting to collect the Fyreslayers kits for my KO list soon (10 Hearthguard berserkers and a Grimwrath), and I had a question. Anyone know any good way to make lady Fyreslayers? I wanted to try to include a couple. KO have bulky enough gear that I can just get a dorf lady head on there and it basically works. But Fyreslayers don't wear nearly as much so it's a bit trickier. Heroforge is an option but that's like $20+ per model.

I don't know any good proxies or substitute torsos, but my argument has always been "how do you know some of these figs aren't females? They are dwarves after all."

Been playtesting my slayers a lot. This is the most reliable list I've come up with.

Endrinriggers are frequently my mvps. They shore up low movement/maneuverability and lack of shooting really well.

I think people are overspending on the 30 block of hearthguard. My 20 block has never died and kills anything it touches just as well as 30.

Runesmiter tunneling is indispensable for longways scenarios and allows you to go down to 2 drops if you really need to pick who goes first.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Hermdar

Leaders
Auric Runefather (100)
- General
- Trait: Warrior Indominate
- Artefact: Tyrant Slayer
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash
Battlesmith (140)
- Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Prayer: Searing Heat
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Prayer: Ember Storm

Battleline
20 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (480)
- Broadaxes
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- War-Picks & Slingshields

Units
9 x Endrinriggers (360)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers
- Allies

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Zharrgron Flame-spitter (60)
Runic Fyrewall (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 125

Edited by Verminlord

Please tell me they're good?!  I've been dying for an excuse to paint a couple ever since 7th Ed WHFB!

Edit:  Oh my... I just looked them up.  Zippy harassing flyers at shockingly low cost per three???  Yes please.  A perfect way to spend some points in a Fyreslayer list.

Edited by Neomaxim
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 9:03 PM, Verminlord said:

Been playtesting my slayers a lot. This is the most reliable list I've come up with.

Endrinriggers are frequently my mvps. They shore up low movement/maneuverability and lack of shooting really well.

I think people are overspending on the 30 block of hearthguard. My 20 block has never died and kills anything it touches just as well as 30.

Runesmiter tunneling is indispensable for longways scenarios and allows you to go down to 2 drops if you really need to pick who goes first.

Reveal hidden contents

- Lodge: Hermdar

Leaders
Auric Runefather (100)
- General
- Trait: Warrior Indominate
- Artefact: Tyrant Slayer
Auric Runemaster (120)
Battlesmith (140)
- Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon
Auric Runesmiter (120)
Auric Runesmiter (120)

Battleline
20 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (480)
- Broadaxes

Units
9 x Endrinriggers (360)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers
- Allies

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Zharrgron Flame-spitter (60)
Runic Fyrewall (40)

Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 125

How are you getting down to two drops? You have six at the minimum, the Runesmiters and Vulkites all count as a drop each even if you tunnel them, unless I've missed something that's changed recently that would really benefit me.

5 hours ago, Aureus said:

How are you getting down to two drops? You have six at the minimum, the Runesmiters and Vulkites all count as a drop each even if you tunnel them, unless I've missed something that's changed recently that would really benefit me.

I thought tunnelling them made them not drops as they aren't put on the table but left in reserve. Did I miss an faq?

41 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

I thought tunnelling them made them not drops as they aren't put on the table but left in reserve. Did I miss an faq?

It's to do with the Setting up Units and the Reserves rules sections in the Core Rulebook, they both say that in certain situations it is possible to "set up" units in locations other than the battlefield and then later deploy them on the battlefield. So they still count as being set up, just not on the battlefield yet.

And then due to how Magmic Tunnelling is worded, the two units count as two separate units for drops because you set up the Runesmiter in Reserve first and then after that one other unit can join him in Reserve instead of being set up on the table.

I'd love for them not to count as drops cause then my Fyreslayers would be a three drop instead of the seven they currently are.

1 hour ago, Neomaxim said:

Just wondering, as I'm inspired by the prospect of six allied Gyrocopters... but can Fyreslayers ally with Cities of Sigmar?  How does AoS deal with future-proofing allies, as obviously the Cities of Sigmar weren't a thing when our codex dropped.

Allies are based on keywords found on unit warscrolls, not the book those units are in. Fyreslayers can ally with Ironweld Arsenal, so they can use Gyrocopters.

7 hours ago, TheNotebookGM said:

Although. 6 would defy the points cap for a 2k game. I'm planning on running 2 or 3 myself to provide backup to my magmadroth

Three Copters and three bombers puts you just under the ally cap at 2000pts.  They get discounted when taken in threes.

• Like 1

How is this for a Lofnir Forge Brethren list?  Would it be worth downgrading the Magdad to a Magson to add Runic Fyrewall?  Are Lofnir Forge Brethren lists competitive currently?

- Lodge: Lofnir
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Auric Runemaster (120)
- General
- Trait: Explosive Charge
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)
- Artefact: Shardfist Pelt
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (260)
- Runic Iron
- Artefact: Igneous Battle-throne
- Magmadroth Trait: Ash-horn Ancient
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
Battlesmith (140)

Battleline
15 x Auric Hearthguard (360)
5 x Auric Hearthguard (120)
5 x Auric Hearthguard (120)

Battalions
Forge Brethren (160)

Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 134

• Like 1

Hi, in the process of slowly painting up my fyreslayers. Building a big lords of the lodge core with 2 magmadroths. 

Thinking of including a unit of 6 skywardens for the additional speed and shooting (character sniping), thoughts? Would have to drop 20 vulkite berserkers (second block) to fit them in and add 5 hearthguard berserkers to meet battleline requirements. 

I havent played FS is a hot minute, but i busted them out this weekend and wanted to have a look at what lists i should run. 

Lodge- Hermdar
Auric runefather- general- warrior indominate/ tyrant slayer ( hermdar tax) - 100 pts
Runemaster- Ash cloud rune (battalion artifact)/ prayer of ash- 120 pts
Battlesmith x2- 140 ea/280 total
1 runsmiter- Searing heat- 120 pts

Hearthgaurd berzerkers x 25- 600 pts - I go with poleaxes on both units because i play alot of SCE/night haunt in my group so rend doesnt always work well. 
hearthgaurd berzerkers x20- 480 points- thinking maybe i take this unit with axes. 
Vulkite berzerkers x 10- 160 points

Lords of the lodge battalion- 140-

2000/2000

The 25 HGB are the battalion unit. I plan on keeping everyone bunched up, heroes in the middle bubblewrapped, and just slowly move forward keeping everyone in range of the buffs. try to put the HGB in front of any threats so i can take the charge with them and activate before the opponent with the lodge ability. The other 10 VB are for objective capping or backline protection. Seems pretty simple, just walk up and get on objectives and hold em while dishing out mortals.

I think i might drop the vulkites, split that group of 20 HGB into 2x10 for battleline. Maybe put the smiter on a magmadroth with the 160? Or buy a command point and another leader?