AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

12 hours ago, TheNotebookGM said:

I used to and I found them super useful but then I got an idea in my head about KO Auric hearthguard and clipped them up. Especially at 100 points they are pretty useful to grab objectives and take the last couple of wounds off of heroes. 

I think you meant to quote someone else.

1 minute ago, jazman84 said:

I think you meant to quote someone else.

You are very correct.

12 hours ago, Verminlord said:

Anyone use endrinriggers/skywardens?

How do you load them out? 

Are six viable without hero support?

I bought two boxes for allies and Im on the fence about building them because KO book will probably have  warscroll changes.

See above.

I ran a non-ME 1k against Ironjaws the other day and completely wiped the floor with them. Was running Vostarg Kinband with a Runesmiter there to cast Runic Fyrewall. 

Magson went off on a unit of Brutes and Vulkites rr 1s to hit, attacking three times, rerolling wounds, and adding 1 rend really tore through Ardboys, although the axe vulkites melt before a loaded Ardboy unit. 

• Like 1

Hello there!

I actually think about getting into fyreslayers, sicne I am looking for a top tier list for tournaments.

Would like to know if the army itself as standalone is worth it and performs good?

What would you suggest to start with, that gives good punch oi the army? Maybe the Grimwrath Berzerker?
What is good to play, wich combos are worth to know?

Thank you for your advice!

Cheers///

On 8/13/2019 at 12:35 AM, TheNotebookGM said:

Fyreslayers are pretty expensive to get into- but here is the deal.

Two paths diverge in the land of Fyreslayers.

The current spam lists are basically 45-65 Hearthguard Berserkers, a Runefather, Battlesmith, and Runemaster running the Lords of the Lodge battalion. If you decide to max out the Hearthguard you won't need any Vulkites, so don't bother with Start collecting boxes. This creates 2-3 basically invincible blocks of infantry that just slowly roll across the field and dish out solid attacks in droves, one of which strikes first and twice for a measly command point. 

That said, I personally find having so limiting a collection too limiting, and would suggest starting with a Start Collecting, a Battlesmith, and 2 Boxes of Hearthguard Berserkers/Auric Hearthguard. (Going to run you about 215 USD before book and forge)

If you are a magnetizing-capable individual I highly suggest doing so for the Magmadroth

-Runesons on Magmadroths are most useful in pairs, so if you want to take advantage of their re-roll to attacks I suggest just starting with 2 Start                  Collectings as you're building your way to a great Warrior Kinband list.

-I most often find myself using the Runesmiter on Magmadroth as I like to have to extra prayer with my mortal wound machine, plus, that builds towards the Forge Brethren battalion, which I personally favor.

-If you are going to build towards the Lords of the Lodge list you can't go wrong with the Runefather on Magmadroth, he is the hittiest of the three, but also the priciest and lacks that tasty, tasty, prayer. 

At this point, if you take my suggestion for a more rounded selection you'd have the following.

A hero on Magmadroth (Runeson 240-Runesmiter 260-Runefather 280) 

Two Heroes on foot (Runefather 100- Runeson 100- Runesmiter 120 but allows deepstrike and has a prayer)

A Battlesmith (140)

10 Vulkite Berserkers (160)

2x5 of Auric Hearthguard, Hearthguard Berserkers or one of each (240) (Hearthguard Berserkers are battleline if Runefather is General, Aurics if the Runemaster is general, who you'd have to add to the list of what to buy)

(1000-1040 depending on loadout)

This gives you a good feel of what the army does, and if you decide to build one of each from the Hearthguard box you will have one unit of all three main things in the army and you can decide where to go from there. Anyone with further questions about the Fyreslayers should post them in the discussion thread over on the Order forum or reach out to me by PM, I'm always happy to field questions about our stunty friends. 

@Battlefury there is a little blurb on getting started :)

• Thanks 2

Trying to run the following in an upcoming tournament, does someone have any advice to share? 

Hermdar

Runefather general

Runemaster

Battlesmith nullsidian

Runesmiter on magmadroth

Runesmiter

15(LOTL) and 10 Berzerkers

10 vulkites

15 Auric Heartguards (probably Deepstriking)

Lords of the lodge

I am still a bit hesitant on the build and lack real experience in tournament play with the Dorfs.

I am open to criticism.

Allegiance: Fyreslayers

- Lodge: Hermdar

Leaders

Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (260)

- Forge Key

- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient

- Prayer: Ember Storm

Auric Runemaster (120)

- Prayer: Prayer of Ash

Battlesmith (140)

- Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon

Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)

- General

- Trait: Warrior Indomniate

- Artefact: Tyrant Slayer

Battleline

30 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (600)

- Broadaxe

10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)

- Handaxes & Slingshields

Battalions

Lords of the Lodge (140)

Total: 1860 / 2000

Since I have 140pts to spend I’m tossed up between a 5 man unit of Auric Hearthguard (120pt)or a Knight  Incantor (140pts). What do y’all think would be best?

6 hours ago, Drillz said:

Allegiance: Fyreslayers

- Lodge: Hermdar

Leaders

Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (260)

- Forge Key

- Prayer: Ember Storm

Auric Runemaster (120)

- Prayer: Prayer of Ash

Battlesmith (140)

- Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon

Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)

- General

- Trait: Warrior Indomniate

- Artefact: Tyrant Slayer

Battleline

30 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (600)

- Broadaxe

Battalions

Lords of the Lodge (140)

Total: 1860 / 2000

Since I have 140pts to spend I’m tossed up between a 5 man unit of Auric Hearthguard (120pt)or a Knight  Incantor (140pts). What do y’all think would be best?

What do u want the incantor to do? I am pretty much in the process of painting  the same list. I tried to squeeze in a mage but I would be taking him to enable me to take pendulum (other similar) to deal with something like morathi. So u need 190pts which I struggled to find (I want 2 big monsters more). Im going 5 hearthguard and combining the vulkites into 20.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:49 AM, punkycloud said:

What do u want the incantor to do? I am pretty much in the process of painting  the same list. I tried to squeeze in a mage but I would be taking him to enable me to take pendulum (other similar) to deal with something like morathi. So u need 190pts which I struggled to find (I want 2 big monsters more). Im going 5 hearthguard and combining the vulkites into 20.

I think a unit of 5 Auric Hearthguard is essential for protecting the Battlesmith and Runemaster.  I also have a Knight Incantor to try to squeeze in for an unbind and endless spell (Geminids, Pendulum or maybe even Maelstrom for 12" radius bubble unlimited unbinding).  I know that 30 Hearthguard Bezerkers is all the rage,  but I think it might be a bit overkill and maybe just reinforces moving GW backstock that perhaps didn't sell as well on the first round (last time it was all about the 30 Vulkites).   That said, I don't get to play a lot of 2,000 pt games so not speaking from expertise (and don't have nor want to paint 30 Hearthguard). 

• Like 1

Hi everyone. Can someone please assist? I played against fyreslayers for the first time yeterday and my oppenent kept using an ability / rune/ prayer (?) which allowed his units to play frst every round before me no matter what (even the rounds i charged his units).

I checked the battletome and also looking around on the net but cannot locate the ability. Could someone point it out for me?

Thanks!

On 9/10/2019 at 12:27 AM, kozokus said:

Trying to run the following in an upcoming tournament, does someone have any advice to share? 

Hermdar

Runefather general

Runemaster

Battlesmith nullsidian

Runesmiter on magmadroth

Runesmiter

15(LOTL) and 10 Berzerkers

10 vulkites

15 Auric Heartguards (probably Deepstriking)

Lords of the lodge

I am still a bit hesitant on the build and lack real experience in tournament play with the Dorfs.

I am open to criticism.

Just went to the London GT with the list and made 4-1. Happy with the results. :)

was beaten by a fyreslayer. Major defeat.

major Victor against slaanesh, beasts, sylvaneth and slaanesh again.

Griiimniiir!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Planar said:

Hi everyone. Can someone please assist? I played against fyreslayers for the first time yeterday and my oppenent kept using an ability / rune/ prayer (?) which allowed his units to play frst every round before me no matter what (even the rounds i charged his units).

I checked the battletome and also looking around on the net but cannot locate the ability. Could someone point it out for me?

Thanks!

You are referring to the Hermdar command ability, which lets a unit of Vulkite Berserkers or Hearthguard Berserkers strike first in combat.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kozokus said:

Just went to the London GT with the list and made 4-1. Happy with the results. :)

Griiimniiir!

Great job! Would love to hear more about your Sylvaneth game. My friend plays them and always beats the stuffing out of me. 

15 hours ago, TheNotebookGM said:

You are referring to the Hermdar command ability, which lets a unit of Vulkite Berserkers or Hearthguard Berserkers strike first in combat.

Hey thanks a lot for clarifying.

Is there any other ability of achieving the same effect with fyreslayers? Because I am almost sure my opponent stated that he was using VOSTARG lodge (and was indeed using  the run and charge command ability). Or maybe you can have more than one lodges in your army?

4 minutes ago, Planar said:

Hey thanks a lot for clarifying.

Is there any other ability of achieving the same effect with fyreslayers? Because I am almost sure my opponent stated that he was using VOSTARG lodge (and was indeed using  the run and charge command ability). Or maybe you can have more than one lodges in your army?

No, although the Lords of the Lodge  battalion allows you to tap twice with the Hearthguard unit, but there isn't another strike first mechanic in the book. Were they using an ally or artifact or anything? Or maybe i'm just drunk and am leaving serious power on the table for some reason?

• Thanks 1

On 9/16/2019 at 1:29 AM, kozokus said:

Griiimniiir!

So happy to see a diverse list like this do well and not rely on hearthguard bezerker spam!!!   Congratulations!  

I am painting toward a similar list, but have too many vulkites (30, per my purchase during the last battletome) and not enough of the hearthguard.  

• LOVE IT! 1