AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Anyone try the boatman endless spell with an allied wizard (modeled as a dwarf obviously)? I'm thinking about using the old pony driven mining cart with some miners around it as a proxy.

Also thinking about the stormcast comet to give us some area denial. Anyone tried it?

can someone answer this question which im sure has been axt before but i couldnt find it...

Hearthguard zerkers poleaxe mortal wound mechanic:

If i roll a 6 to hit, does the MW go through even though i fail to wound? 

If i roll a 6 to hit,and i also wound- and my opponent makes his save roll, do the 2 MWs still go through and he saves from 1 dmg? or does he save everything?

thanks 

49 minutes ago, meowrice said:

can someone answer this question which im sure has been axt before but i couldnt find it...

Hearthguard zerkers poleaxe mortal wound mechanic:

If i roll a 6 to hit, does the MW go through even though i fail to wound? 

If i roll a 6 to hit,and i also wound- and my opponent makes his save roll, do the 2 MWs still go through and he saves from 1 dmg? or does he save everything?

thanks 

A 6 causes 2 mortal wounds, whether the attack subsequently wounds doesn’t affect this. The wording is just to distinguish it from attacks that cause a mortal wound and end the attack sequence altogether.

Seems we got out pretty much untouched from the big FAQ, though they did confirm that we can attempt to cast every prayer that a priest knows, as long as it can been attempted in that turn previously, which is great.

Edited by Qrow

7 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

NO points changes for the fyreslayers. Battlesmith cant stack but thats fine. Im happy with this kinda expected heathguard to go up the same as sequitors tho

That may still happen in the Christmas errata, but I think it was too early for them to do any point changes to fyreslayers in this errata. The battletome is barely 2 months old and is not dominating the competitive scene like some other allegiances are.

On a different note, has anyone had success with doomseekers? They seem to be a straight downgrade from grimwrath berzerkers.

Edited by Qrow

If you are only taking 1 or 2 I'd stick with Grimwraths, but Doomseekers  wear a Helm of Obsidia well if you're spamming Grimwraths. Gives them more time and sometimes they distract from Grimwraths since their Damage goes up after a few wounds. 

Also, I'm saddened by the lack of points changes, I was excited for new lists. Was secretly hoping they'd bring more balance to the Fyreslayers armies of the world. Would love to see a batrep where people left LoL behind for once. 

Edited by TheNotebookGM
More words

5 hours ago, Qrow said:

Seems we got out pretty much untouched from the big FAQ, though they did confirm that we can attempt to cast every prayer that a priest knows, as long as it can been attempted in that turn previously, which is great.

So I'm a bit confused on this. Does this now mean if you take an artifact or trait that lets a priest know an additional prayer, that they basically get an additional "cast" per turn?

1 hour ago, Mutton said:

So I'm a bit confused on this. Does this now mean if you take an artifact or trait that lets a priest know an additional prayer, that they basically get an additional "cast" per turn?

According to the errata, yes.

"Q: If a  Priest  knows more than one prayer, can it attempt to chant  each  of  them? A: Yes, as long as no other restrictions apply."

What does everyone's collection look like? I'm missing the forge, I'm still trying to find a way to make to make it look like a still. I also will have to pick up some more magmadroths at some point to run Lofnir lists, but I've finally got well over 2k to play around with... only 2000ish more points to paint. 

I've got:

Runedad on Mag

Runemaster

Runesmiter

2 Battlesmiths 

3 Grimwraths

1 Doomseeker

40 Vulkites

25 Auric Hearthguard 

10 Hearthguard Berserkers

Runic Fyrewall

Keeping our points until December, is there a non-LoL list you find particularly enjoyable?

On 7/9/2019 at 8:46 AM, PJetski said:

Lofnir with 30+ Aurics in a Forge Brethren battalion is a really fantastic list

I'd love to see the full list! I need to get 3 more mags before I can run a full Lofnir list.

My Greyfyrd Forge Brethren (primary) list centers around my Magfather carrying the shardfist pelt. I chuck him at hordes with tons of bonuses to save rolls and let him wipe them out so I can actually get numerical advantage on objectives. I've branded it the Spiky Daddy List. I've got a couple different versions kicking around as I twiddle with the units and artifacts.

Screenshot_20190710-120216_Drive.jpg

3 minutes ago, TheNotebookGM said:

I'd love to see the full list! I need to get 3 more mags before I can run a full Lofnir list.

Sure, it's something like this:

120 Runemaster - General, Prayer: Prayer of Ash
240 M-Runeson - Smoldering Helm, Mount: Coal-heart Ancient
260 M-Runesmiter - Lofnir artefact, Prayer: Molten Infusion, Mount: Ash-horn Ancient
120 Runesmiter - Prayer: Searing Heat
140 Battlesmith
240 10x Auric
240 10x Auric
120 5x Auric
160 Forge Brethren
40 Fyrewall
60 Flamespitter

1740/2000

The idea is to stack tons of save bonuses on the Runeson with Smoldering Helm to make him unkillable and do tons of reflected mortal wounds. The Magmadroths and Fyrewall block melee while the Flamespitter and Aurics shoot everything down. The command ability from Lofnir make the Aurics very accurate shooting units.

Then you can either add another Runeson on Magmadroth (to block more space and reroll hits with both Runesons) or more Auric Hearthguard, or branch off into some other options like a Knight-Incantor to help deal with spells.

• Like 1

This list has performed well.

This will most likely be my tournament list moving forward.  The unbinding power of the Knight Incantor in dire situations when needed is clutch, and the Malevolent Maelstrom's range is fairly long and will buy you some extra unbinding attempts across the table.  Runic Fyrewall for laying down the blockage, but I've also found that it helps support your Magmadroth in combat if you have to throw your bonus save rolls on him... +2" movement/charge run + Ember Storm?  A fast moving Magmadroth that will be pretty tanky in melee.  Of course the real winners in the list are the Hearthguards.  I've found that the Vulkites get targeted when they're on objectives, or if I choose to deepstrike them with the smiter, so the reroll hits on the axes buys you some punching power with their berserk ability before they die.

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Hermdar
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)
- General
- Trait: Warrior Indomniate 
- Artefact: Tyrant Slayer 
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Forge Key
- Prayer: Ember Storm
Battlesmith (140)
- Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon 
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (600)
- Poleaxes
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (240)
- Poleaxes
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- Pairs of Handaxes

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Runic Fyrewall (40)
Malevolent Maelstrom (10)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 135

Hi 

I am new to AOS and love the Fyreslayers. Have played 1 game. Need to know what do you thinks of the list, playing a 4 way 1000pt per player Fyreslayers and Sylvaneth vs Khorne and Tzeentch. Any advice will be a great help:

Fyrelsayers: Vostarg Lodge

Magmic Battleforge

• Leader:

Auric Runefather - Voxaxe

Auric Runemaster - Prayer of Ash

Auric Runesmitter - Prayer of Searing heat

Battlesmith

• Battleline

Vulkite Bezerkers x 10 Pick and Shield

Hearthguard Bezerkers x 10 Poleaxe

Hearthguard Bezerkers x 5 Berzeker Broadaxe

12 hours ago, snaga said:

Hi 

I am new to AOS and love the Fyreslayers. Have played 1 game. Need to know what do you thinks of the list, playing a 4 way 1000pt per player Fyreslayers and Sylvaneth vs Khorne and Tzeentch. Any advice will be a great help:

Magmic Battleforge

• Leader:

Battlesmith

• Battleline

Try Hermdar, it’s a better Lodge. Army list looks fine. Flamestrikes work better in big units. Broadaxes are just great all around. 

16 hours ago, snaga said:

Hi 

Magmic Battleforge

• Leader:

Battlesmith

• Battleline

I play a lot of 4-player 1k.  This is a really solid list. I'd replace the 5 hearthguard bezerkers as Auric Hearthguard if you haven't built them already.  Gives a bit of shooting plus protection for nearby heroes.  Also consider droptting a Runemaster or Runesmiter to upgrade your Runefather to a magmadroth.  Can't comment yet on the vostarg vs. hermdar, except hermdar is definitely better with the hearthguard bezerkers even if just have the unit one unit of 10

I'm curious what you guys have come up with for tournament gaming. I've played FS twice now at events, and both times I've killed everything but the magmadroth and brick and taken enough objectives to win. 

What have you come up with for missions like focal points or better part of valor, against players who refuse to fight you on anything but their own terms?

1 hour ago, whispersofblood said:

I'm curious what you guys have come up with for tournament gaming. I've played FS twice now at events, and both times I've killed everything but the magmadroth and brick and taken enough objectives to win. 

What have you come up with for missions like focal points or better part of valor, against players who refuse to fight you on anything but their own terms?

No army is ever fully prepared for every scenario. If, as a Fyreslayer player, I try taking multiple small units, I run the risk of being overwhelmed by cheap horde armies. If I take big, chunky hordes, I fail to have enough troops to cover all of the objectives. You could literally go insane trying to stress over this dilemma. It may be cavalier on my part, but I just build the best list I can with what I have. I refuse to let my gaming experience turn into this crazed “what to take” madness. You’re either playing a MSU army or an elite. It’s your playing skill that will often determine whether or not you can use it to carry you to victory. 

17 hours ago, DrDemento said:

I play a lot of 4-player 1k.  This is a really solid list. I'd replace the 5 hearthguard bezerkers as Auric Hearthguard if you haven't built them already.  Gives a bit of shooting plus protection for nearby heroes.  Also consider droptting a Runemaster or Runesmiter to upgrade your Runefather to a magmadroth.  Can't comment yet on the vostarg vs. hermdar, except hermdar is definitely better with the hearthguard bezerkers even if just have the unit one unit of 10

Thanks. Will have a look at it

I really like slayers.  But do you think GW will release 1 or 2 different kind of units for this army in the near future (max 2 years?)? I am looking for army nr. 7 and for a 1000 pts list the number of different miniatures is ok but going for the full 2000....and buying 10 packs of hearthguard..i dunno