Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion


Recommended Posts

If youre going Lofnir you definitely want to take some Aurics, that command ability is so insane

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have literally never seen prochuvi post anything that wasnt extremely negative, so can't say his opinion surprises me. 

Magmadroth finished!!! For Grimnir!  

WIP of my Magmadroth! I'm currently done with the 'skin'. Now  I just need to do the head and all the horns/claws (they will get a bone-colour) and Ur-Gold runes. I'm going for more classic lizzard/dr

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, Percivael said:

Yeah, I’ve  been thinking of 3 Runesons on Droths to really maximise those re-rolls to hit. Seems really strong in a Lofnir list. In fact I’ve been wondering whether to take 3 Sons and 2 Smiters all on Magmadroths in a Lofnir list, and not taking a Runefather at all - his synergies/abilities  don’t seem that great in a magmadroth heavy army for the price,  especially  when compared to the Runeson on Droth.

just tried a few days ago a Lofnir list with 2 Sons on Droths, the reroll ability is really strong, and every Son hits like a Father. To verify it (RNG), I did some calculations, see attachment. If I wasn't wrong, a Son near another one has a damage output slightly better than a Father, also not taking count of the command ability of D6 mortal wounds in charge (that Father doesn't have).

Sure you need to double them, and if one will be killed, the other will reduce of about 30-35% its damage output. So keep them both safe!

bb

2019-05-14 17_30_28-Microsoft Excel - Fyreslayers - damage output.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 12:50 PM, Grungir said:

hi all

i am an old dwarf player and since i want to return to the old good days of storm of chaos i have a wholly 80 metal slayers who unfortunately sits on the bench sobbing. i have purchased the tome, the grimwrath berserker and 10 of the fyreslayers with the 2 handaxe (hearthguard).

now i'm a bit confused, there are a lot of new rules in the last tome and i don't really know how to start planning my army. 

I prefer an aggressive playstile like the old slayer but i need some advice, can you guys help me?

sorry for the noob questions, making an army with the dwarf is pretty straightforward but fyreslayers seems a lot more complicated to plan.

I've been sold hard by lots of Grimwrath Berserkers, a buddy of mines running:
Priest Leader
Banner
Banner

3x5 of the shooting dwarfs
11-12 Grimwraths

Using Lofneir so they all run 6's turn 1, and run and charge near the general, and have a 3+save and 5++ in combat.  They fight twice, are aggressive and punch way above their weight class.  Its super cool and oddly hard to fight again.  But its also super fun.  I think it really captures the spirit of the old 'daemon/giant slayer' heros.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, the_nApi said:

just tried a few days ago a Lofnir list with 2 Sons on Droths, the reroll ability is really strong, and every Son hits like a Father. To verify it (RNG), I did some calculations, see attachment. If I wasn't wrong, a Son near another one has a damage output slightly better than a Father, also not taking count of the command ability of D6 mortal wounds in charge (that Father doesn't have).

Sure you need to double them, and if one will be killed, the other will reduce of about 30-35% its damage output. So keep them both safe!

bb

2019-05-14 17_30_28-Microsoft Excel - Fyreslayers - damage output.jpg

Ahh interesting! Great work! I think 3 runesons could be a thing! What Magmadroth traits did you go for? One with Ash-horn ancient seems essential, but most of the others seem fairly strong too, particularly the breath buff.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you :)

Ash-horn and Fire-claw Adult, but I was not really satisfied with Fire-claw, think will substitute it with Coal-heart, to increase survivability

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still playing with lists, but I came up with this Lofnir list that I really like.  I think it takes full advantage of their whole suite of abilities and has good melee presence and shooting--plus the ability to reflect a lot of mortal wounds with the Runeson with Smouldering helm.

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Lofnir
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- General
- Ancestral War-axe
- Trait: Explosize Charge 
- Artefact: Igneous Battle-throne 
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- Ancestral War-axe
- Artefact: Smouldering Helm 
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (260)
- Forge Key
- Magmadroth Trait: Ash-horn Ancient
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Prayer: Searing Heat
Battlesmith (140)

Battleline
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- War-Picks & Slingshields

Units
5 x Auric Hearthguard (120)
5 x Auric Hearthguard (120)
5 x Auric Hearthguard (120)

Battalions
Forge Brethren (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 143
 

What do you folks think?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, the_nApi said:

Thank you :)

Ash-horn and Fire-claw Adult, but I was not really satisfied with Fire-claw, think will substitute it with Coal-heart, to increase survivability

Yea Coal Heart seems great, I mean Ironjawz love their Command Trait for Rend protection.

And you can have as many as you want without need to have a command trait? Sign me up!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheThievingMick said:

I'm still playing with lists, but I came up with this Lofnir list that I really like.  I think it takes full advantage of their whole suite of abilities and has good melee presence and shooting--plus the ability to reflect a lot of mortal wounds with the Runeson with Smouldering helm.

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Lofnir
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- General
- Ancestral War-axe
- Trait: Explosize Charge 
- Artefact: Igneous Battle-throne 
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- Ancestral War-axe
- Artefact: Smouldering Helm 
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (260)
- Forge Key
- Magmadroth Trait: Ash-horn Ancient
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Prayer: Searing Heat
Battlesmith (140)

Battleline
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- War-Picks & Slingshields

Units
5 x Auric Hearthguard (120)
5 x Auric Hearthguard (120)
5 x Auric Hearthguard (120)

Battalions
Forge Brethren (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 143
 

What do you folks think?

Like it, but I would swap the Runemaster on foot for another Runesmiter (on foot), for tunnelling a unit of 10 (merging 5+5) Auric Hearthguard, so in your turn of choice: emerge from tunnelling in 12" range from a monster, Lofnir command ability in your shooting phase, 20 magamapike ranged attacks +1 hit +1 wound --> [dmg 2 each] monster killer!! Nice tactic, already used, very satisfiying (for you, not really for your opponent...). Obviously you can't take the battalion. But in that way, you have room for at least flame-spitter and infernoth. Also the wall would be usuful, droths can cross it without penalty...

Need a bit of testing, I think

Link to post
Share on other sites

For lofnir I have been running a father, smiter and 3 sons on magmadroths. Then a runemaster as general and 3 units of 5 aurics for battleline. After that it is the wall and infernoth. I havent had the time to get more than a few games in but it has definitely been fun. It did well in the first and not as well in the second but I could have done things a lot better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi fellow Fyreslayers!
I’m totally new to these Fyreslayer boys and I’d like some help on how to think when composing lists as well tactics used with Fyreslayers and units sizes etc etc. But this list is the first I’ve made that I’d think could work. All help is much appreciated! Need to choose one more artefact!
Thanks 🙏🏻 

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Hermdar

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)
- General
- Trait: Warrior Indominate
- Artefact: Tyrant Slayer 
- Magmadroth Trait: Ash-horn Ancient
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Prayer: Ember Storm
Battlesmith (140)
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Forge Key
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash

Battleline
20 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (480)
- Broadaxes
20 x Vulkite Berzerkers (320)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
20 x Vulkite Berzerkers (320)
- War-Picks & Slingshields

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (140)

Endless Spells
Runic Fyrewall (40)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 150

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

...or could a list like this work?

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Greyfyrd

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)
- General
- Trait: Battle-scarred Veteran  
- Artefact: Helm of Obsidia  
- Magmadroth Trait: Ash-horn Ancient
Battlesmith (140)
- Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon  
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- Wyrmslayer Javelins
- Magmadroth Trait: Ash-horn Ancient
Auric Runeson (100)
- Ancestral War-axe
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth(260)
- Forge Key
- Artefact: Ash-cloud Rune  
- Magmadroth Trait: Lava-tongue Adult
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth(260)
- Forge Key
- Magmadroth Trait: Lava-tongue Adult
- Prayer: Prayer of Grimnir's Fury
Grimwrath Berzerker (100)
Grimwrath Berzerker (100)

Battleline
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- War-Picks & Slingshields

Endless Spells
Runic Fyrewall (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 138
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
I posted this in the rules forum but thought I'd post it here too. I feel like the Designer's Commentary question on Prayers ignores part of the text on the prayers themselves. What do you all think? Bear in mind that the commentary is not an actual errata.
 
Q: Is there a difference between knowing a prayer and being allowed to attempt it? For example, the Magmic Empowerment 'Ash-beard' says the general "knows" 2 prayers from the Zharrgrim Blessings table instead of 1. Contrast this wording with the artefact 'Volatile Brazier', which says the bearer can "attempt to summon" 2 magmic invocations in the same turn. Does Ash-beard just allow the Priest to know 2 prayers but still only attempt 1 of them in each hero phase?
A: Yes
 
My issue with this is that Zharrgrim Blessings have the rules for chanting a prayer written in them. The first sentence for every blessing is as follows:
 
"At the start of your hero phase, 1 friendly model that knows this prayer can chant it."
 
My understanding of this wording is that if a model knows the prayer they can attempt it. The only limitation is in the paragraph above the blessings table that states "Each Zharrgrim Blessing can only be changed once per turn, regardless of how many Priests know that prayer".
 
Based on these wording I find it very clear that if a model knows two Zharrgrim Blessings they can attempt both of them provided they are different blessings and no other model has attempted one of them that turn.
 
However, the designer's commentary says this is not the case as knowing a prayer is not the same as being able to attempt it. To my understanding this ignores the first sentence of each Zharrgrim Blessing. Is there something I'm missing or does this require an errata? 
 
My understanding is also that this could be used to prevent a Runesmiter or Runemaster from casting both their warscroll prayer and a Zharrgrim Blessing each turn. It effectively removes that first sentence from the Blessings as well as from the warscroll prayers and replaces them with a new universal rule that says a model can only attempt a prayer once. 
 
I feel like both the person asking the question and answering it are considering Magmic Invocations to be prayers though at no point due the rules refer to Magmic Invocations as such. The reason the Volatile Brazier uses that terminology is because the rules state 
 
"A Fyreslayers priest cannot attempt to summon more than one magmic Invocation in the same turn (even if they are different models)".
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

How's this for a vostarg list?

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Vostarg

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)
- General
- Artefact: Vosaxe 
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (260)
- Forge Key
- Prayer: Searing Heat
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash
Battlesmith (140)
- Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon 
Grimwrath Berzerker (100)

Battleline
20 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (480)
- Poleaxes
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- Pairs of Handaxes

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (140)

Endless Spells
Zharrgron Flame-spitter (60)
Runic Fyrewall (40)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 125

Edited by Verminlord
typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Forrix said:
I posted this in the rules forum but thought I'd post it here too. I feel like the Designer's Commentary question on Prayers ignores part of the text on the prayers themselves. What do you all think? Bear in mind that the commentary is not an actual errata.
 
Q: Is there a difference between knowing a prayer and being allowed to attempt it? For example, the Magmic Empowerment 'Ash-beard' says the general "knows" 2 prayers from the Zharrgrim Blessings table instead of 1. Contrast this wording with the artefact 'Volatile Brazier', which says the bearer can "attempt to summon" 2 magmic invocations in the same turn. Does Ash-beard just allow the Priest to know 2 prayers but still only attempt 1 of them in each hero phase?
A: Yes
 
My issue with this is that Zharrgrim Blessings have the rules for chanting a prayer written in them. The first sentence for every blessing is as follows:
 
"At the start of your hero phase, 1 friendly model that knows this prayer can chant it."
 
My understanding of this wording is that if a model knows the prayer they can attempt it. The only limitation is in the paragraph above the blessings table that states "Each Zharrgrim Blessing can only be changed once per turn, regardless of how many Priests know that prayer".
 
Based on these wording I find it very clear that if a model knows two Zharrgrim Blessings they can attempt both of them provided they are different blessings and no other model has attempted one of them that turn.
 
However, the designer's commentary says this is not the case as knowing a prayer is not the same as being able to attempt it. To my understanding this ignores the first sentence of each Zharrgrim Blessing. Is there something I'm missing or does this require an errata? 
 
My understanding is also that this could be used to prevent a Runesmiter or Runemaster from casting both their warscroll prayer and a Zharrgrim Blessing each turn. It effectively removes that first sentence from the Blessings as well as from the warscroll prayers and replaces them with a new universal rule that says a model can only attempt a prayer once. 
 
I feel like both the person asking the question and answering it are considering Magmic Invocations to be prayers though at no point due the rules refer to Magmic Invocations as such. The reason the Volatile Brazier uses that terminology is because the rules state 
 
"A Fyreslayers priest cannot attempt to summon more than one magmic Invocation in the same turn (even if they are different models)".
 

From what I understand, that errata/faq focuses mainly on that command trait that allows knowing 2 prayers. Allegiance rules do not prevent use of warscroll abilities unless specifically stated. I do agree that it was weird for them not allowing using both book prayers that the priest might know.

11 hours ago, Verminlord said:

 

How's this for a vostarg list?

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Vostarg

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)
- General
- Artefact: Vosaxe 
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (260)
- Forge Key
- Prayer: Searing Heat
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash
Battlesmith (140)
- Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon 
Grimwrath Berzerker (100)

Battleline
20 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (480)
- Poleaxes
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- Pairs of Handaxes

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (140)

Endless Spells
Zharrgron Flame-spitter (60)
Runic Fyrewall (40)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 125

Personally I feel that vostarg lists work best with foot general, since he can more easily run with the troops and not having to slow down for the rest of the army. I'm also not sure if extra command point purchased with points is that useful for vostarg (their lodge command is once per turn deal and I've found that battleshock is rarely an issue for fyreslayer army). I feel like you could remove that and maybe magmic invocation to add another grimwrath berzerker.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, angrycontra said:

From what I understand, that errata/faq focuses mainly on that command trait that allows knowing 2 prayers. Allegiance rules do not prevent use of warscroll abilities unless specifically stated. I do agree that it was weird for them not allowing using both book prayers that the priest might know.

Yeah, it focuses on that command trait but it also states magmic invocations = prayers then makes up a new rule limiting prayer attempts. The more I read it this seems like bizarre FAQ that ignores the currently written rules and then just starts making things up.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry this might be a silly question- but in relation to casting prayers. Can I cast one from the book, one from the warscroll and a Magmic invocation by the same priest in the same turn? But not two of any of them?

this is just what I thought you could do.

Sorry for the questions just new to using prayers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey. I'm hoping to get some clarity on the Battlesmith's Icon of Grimnir ability;

Once activated, can units that were wholly withing 12" when it was activated move away and still benefit from the +1 save (this is how it worked in the previous book, right?)

or

+1 save is given only when a unit is wholly within 12" of the Battlesmith (which also means even if they started outside of 12" when it was activated but moved inside later in the turn they also benefit)

I think it's the first, as otherwise I would think it would include something like "while whole within", like some other abilities. I keep convincing myself the second interpretation is also correct however. Plus, the tokens that came with the warscroll cards only include one Icon of Grimnir token (which indicates the second is truer), further confusing my intepretation.   
Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok after a long break I'm looking to get back into AoS this is the first list I had in mind wanted to do a monster mash that wasn't FEC thoughts?

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Lofnir

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)
- General
- Trait: Explosize Charge 
- Artefact: Igneous Battle-throne 
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- Ancestral War-axe
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- Ancestral War-axe
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (260)
- Forge Key
- Artefact: Droth-helm 
- Magmadroth Trait: Lava-tongue Adult
- Prayer: Gilded Claws
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (260)
- Forge Key
- Magmadroth Trait: Lava-tongue Adult
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash

Battleline
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- Pairs of Handaxes
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- Handaxes & Slingshields
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- Handaxes & Slingshields

Battalions
Warrior Kinband (140)

Endless Spells
Zharrgron Flame-spitter (60)
Runic Fyrewall (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 130
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

For a Duardin mix-up:

Overlord allies in Fyreslayers?

Fyreslayer allies in Overlords?

Mixed Order?

Cheers!

Forbidden Power has an Allegiance that has Fyreslayers and KO.

 

To me it sounds like Firestorm 2.0 (slight alt of GA Order) so I don't expect anything too crazy, but it may be an option.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 5:39 PM, Marvus said:

Hey. I'm hoping to get some clarity on the Battlesmith's Icon of Grimnir ability;

Once activated, can units that were wholly withing 12" when it was activated move away and still benefit from the +1 save (this is how it worked in the previous book, right?)

or

+1 save is given only when a unit is wholly within 12" of the Battlesmith (which also means even if they started outside of 12" when it was activated but moved inside later in the turn they also benefit)

I think it's the first, as otherwise I would think it would include something like "while whole within", like some other abilities. I keep convincing myself the second interpretation is also correct however. Plus, the tokens that came with the warscroll cards only include one Icon of Grimnir token (which indicates the second is truer), further confusing my intepretation.   
Thanks!

They have to be wholly within 12" to use the buff. If they walk out of range they no longer benefit.

Quote

 

For vulkites with shields : axe and shield or pick and shield ?

 


 

 
Pick and shield. The rend is worth the 4+ wound.
Edited by Mutton
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2019 at 5:28 AM, Mutton said:

They have to be wholly within 12" to use the buff. If they walk out of range they no longer benefit.

 
Pick and shield. The rend is worth the 4+ wound.

answering for Battlesmith's question.

I think the right is the first option, in designer's commentary of old book was written:

"Q: Does the benefit from a Battlesmith’s Icon of Grimnir still apply to units that – having been within 8" of him when the ability was used – move more than 8" away from him? A: Yes."

So, if in the new designer's commentary that was not changed, I think the right answer should be the first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, the_nApi said:

answering for Battlesmith's question.

I think the right is the first option, in designer's commentary of old book was written:

"Q: Does the benefit from a Battlesmith’s Icon of Grimnir still apply to units that – having been within 8" of him when the ability was used – move more than 8" away from him? A: Yes."

So, if in the new designer's commentary that was not changed, I think the right answer should be the first.

Doesn't mention it in the new tome's Commentary or FAQ, so I can't take it on fact. Unfortunately this is something that could have used clarification when the book came out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...