AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I'm personally not gonna bother going with any magic defence options unless I really don't have any plans for any other cool artifact combos. As said above, fyreslayers have strong prayers that opponent can't do nothing against them, fyrewall can block any visibility based magic easily, plus these guys are tough to kill outside magic/mortals. 

Also as I said earlier in this thread, I've already lost game because I took knight incantor instead of 10 extra vulkites. Knight incantor barely managed to unbind or cast anything while those 10 extra vulkites would've helped me cap one objective and win the game for me. The nulsidian icon on same match managed to save single hgb from dying to endless spell, whoopdedoo, I had like 11 of them alive at the end of game anyway (I still think nulsidian icon is great artifact but I wouldn't call it mandatory).

• Like 1

I took the ash cloud rune on my runemaster against nurgle and in 3 turns he managed to get one spell off. I'm not saying it was mandatory, but it did help. My list also wasn't geared towards the prayers or invocations though, so I wasn't too fussed about the artifact for the runemaster. 

• Like 1

hi all

i am an old dwarf player and since i want to return to the old good days of storm of chaos i have a wholly 80 metal slayers who unfortunately sits on the bench sobbing. i have purchased the tome, the grimwrath berserker and 10 of the fyreslayers with the 2 handaxe (hearthguard).

now i'm a bit confused, there are a lot of new rules in the last tome and i don't really know how to start planning my army. 

I prefer an aggressive playstile like the old slayer but i need some advice, can you guys help me?

sorry for the noob questions, making an army with the dwarf is pretty straightforward but fyreslayers seems a lot more complicated to plan.

17 minutes ago, Grungir said:

hi all

i am an old dwarf player and since i want to return to the old good days of storm of chaos i have a wholly 80 metal slayers who unfortunately sits on the bench sobbing. i have purchased the tome, the grimwrath berserker and 10 of the fyreslayers with the 2 handaxe (hearthguard).

now i'm a bit confused, there are a lot of new rules in the last tome and i don't really know how to start planning my army. 

I prefer an aggressive playstile like the old slayer but i need some advice, can you guys help me?

sorry for the noob questions, making an army with the dwarf is pretty straightforward but fyreslayers seems a lot more complicated to plan.

If you added a start collecting set and built it with a runefather on the magmadroth and both foot heroes, you would have exactly 1000 points. Don’t know if that will be effective necessarily, but it’d be a good start. 

Probably worth checking out the vostarg lodge if you like aggressive playstyles. 

Hey people !  i was interested in starting a shooting/magic heavy fyreslayer list. What do you think about it ?  It's my first shot about fyreslayers. I've picked Lofnir manly for the CA and not the magmadroths

LEADERS

Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (260) - Runic Iron - Magmadroth Trait : Coal-heart Ancient - Prayer : Searing Heat

Auric Runesmiter (120) - Runic Iron - Prayer : Ember Storm

Auric Runemaster (120) - General - Command Trait : Explosize Charge - Artefact : Emberstone Rune - Prayer : Molten Infusion

Battlesmith (140) - Artefact : Icon of the Ancestors

UNITS

10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160) - Handaxes & Slingshields

10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160) - War-Picks & Slingshields

10 x Auric Hearthguard (240)

5 x Auric Hearthguard (120)

5 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (120) - Broadaxes

BATTALIONS

Forge Brethren (160)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Zharrgron Flame-spitter (60)

Molten Infernoth (50)

Runic Fyrewall (40)

My biggest hesitation is about the vulkites : one unit of 20 seems much better for buffing it with the battalion and my prayers, but i think 2x10 may cover more ground (even if the fyrewall and infernoth should help a lot in blocking ennemy units)

Edited by ledha

31 minutes ago, ledha said:

Hey people !  i was interested in starting a shooting/magic heavy fyreslayer list. What do you think about it ?  It's my first shot about fyreslayers. I've picked Lofnir manly for the CA and not the magmadroths

LEADERS

Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (260) - Runic Iron - Magmadroth Trait : Coal-heart Ancient - Prayer : Searing Heat

Auric Runesmiter (120) - Runic Iron - Prayer : Ember Storm

Auric Runemaster (120) - General - Command Trait : Explosize Charge - Artefact : Emberstone Rune - Prayer : Molten Infusion

Battlesmith (140) - Artefact : Icon of the Ancestors

UNITS

10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160) - Handaxes & Slingshields

10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160) - War-Picks & Slingshields

5 x Auric Hearthguard (120)

5 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (120) - Broadaxes

BATTALIONS

Forge Brethren (160)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Zharrgron Flame-spitter (60)

Molten Infernoth (50)

Runic Fyrewall (40)

My biggest hesitation is about the vulkites : one unit of 20 seems much better for buffing it with the battalion and my prayers, but i think 2x10 may cover more ground (even if the fyrewall and infernoth should help a lot in blocking ennemy units)

That looks pretty good.  Personal I'd probably combine the vulkites into 1 unit with handaxes.   You can focus you're buffs on 1 unit instead of 2. I'd also then switch ember storm for prayer of ash.   Vulkites with a 3+ save sounds pretty nasty to me.  Have your runemaster hangout in the middle and you can run and charge with the vostarg lodge command trait.  Maybe think about give the runemaster prayer of ash or searing heat.  Personally I've been giving molten infusion to my priest by the forge, and using the flame spitter as his turret.

Edited by CentralKarma
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, CentralKarma said:

That looks pretty good.  Personal I'd probably combine the vulkites into 1 unit with handaxes.   You can focus you're buffs on 1 unit instead of 2. I'd also then switch ember storm for prayer of ash.   Vulkites with a 3+ save sounds pretty nasty to me.  Have your runemaster hangout in the middle and you can run and charge with the vostarg lodge command trait.  Maybe think about give the runemaster prayer of ash or searing heat.  Personally I've been giving molten infusion to my priest by the forge, and using the flame spitter as his turret.

i messed a bit with prayers/items, i'm mostly trying to figure the units here, but many thanks for your help :)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Priminister said:

I'm just starting out with Fyreslayers, any tips for fighting FeC or Legions of Nagash? I've got 1 buddy who plays both and no one can ever beat him >.< 

Well against fec fyreslayers are quite strong imo. You can stack saves with various mechanics (battlesmith, prayer of ash, forge brethren, runesmiter magmadroth and couple artifacts/traits) and the non-monster fec troops will just fail to do anything. Against gristlegore you got multiple tools:

- auric hearthguard deal 2 damage with their shooting attack against monsters. If you are using lofnir lodge you can even boost their killing power with lodge command ability. You can pop these guys anywhere on the map with runesmiter.

- hg berzerkers are so tough, that you can ideally tank gristlegore general's double pile in and then proceed to whack the thing out with what's left. Hermdar lodge command allows you to even attack before gristlegore general attacks (only in your turn however).

- vulkites (in your turn) can charge gristlegore general, activate their berserker fury ability, use hermdar lodge ability to pile in first, and then when they die, they pile in again.

LoN is a bit more difficult. If you know you're facing LoN, I highly recommend aurics because it is imperative that you delete their heroes asap. The problem with LoN is that your guys can't grind through their forces fast enough (minus lotl battalion hgb) to not allow any models from ressing back to that unit. 

9 hours ago, angrycontra said:

- vulkites (in your turn) can charge gristlegore general, activate their berserker fury ability, use hermdar lodge ability to pile in first, and then when they die, they pile in again.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but can the "Skull-breakers and Oath-takers" ability be used more than once in a turn as long as it's on different units? It seems like you can. If so it seems incredibly good and Hermdar might be my competitive pick!

58 minutes ago, J.J said:

Sorry if this has already been answered, but can the "Skull-breakers and Oath-takers" ability be used more than once in a turn as long as it's on different units? It seems like you can. If so it seems incredibly good and Hermdar might be my competitive pick!

Yes it can be used on multiple units on same turn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In case anyone is still concerned that Vulkite Berzerkers don’t have a place in the new book: I tried a Hermdar list yesterday and a unit of 20 with shields dropped by a runesmiter is amazingly tough with very little support needed. Would work with any lodge, but the battleshock immunity from Hermdar if you drop them in your opponent’s territory makes a big difference 

• Like 1

Okay fyreslayers. Diehard khorne player here.  Now that they've announced that forbidden power allows you to take other grand alliances units I'm mostly looking at you guys cause even though we hate each other in the end we're both muderous berzerkers. What would you recommend as a good set or 400pts in allies that would be strong without requiring allegiance specific things or massive heros? Basically what are the "standalone good" units 

47 minutes ago, TheHiddenWaffle said:

Okay fyreslayers. Diehard khorne player here.  Now that they've announced that forbidden power allows you to take other grand alliances units I'm mostly looking at you guys cause even though we hate each other in the end we're both muderous berzerkers. What would you recommend as a good set or 400pts in allies that would be strong without requiring allegiance specific things or massive heros? Basically what are the "standalone good" units 

Vulkites are solid stand alone units as they need no hero support to perform. With shields they're basically better more cost efficient blood warriors to hold objectives. 20 of them is not easy to remove from objective.

Aurics are also great unit (possibly best option for khorne, considering khorne's lack of shooting). 360p for 15 is great unit, 31 shots at 18" range 4+ 3+ rend -1 dam 1. The fact that they do double dam against monsters makes them great at countering slaanesh keepers (just recently played game where just 5 of these blew 10 wounds from kos) and fec gristlegore. They don't need support from other fyreslayer heroes.

Grimwraths are interesting as allied heroes. Good stand-alone heroes that hit hard and don't waste your leader slots.

Hearthguard berzerkers ain't that great as allies. You can only have 10 of them because you need fyreslayer hero near them and one hero just isn't good enough to protect this unit.

30 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

Vulkites are solid stand alone units as they need no hero support to perform. With shields they're basically better more cost efficient blood warriors to hold objectives. 20 of them is not easy to remove from objective.

Aurics are also great unit (possibly best option for khorne, considering khorne's lack of shooting). 360p for 15 is great unit, 31 shots at 18" range 4+ 3+ rend -1 dam 1. The fact that they do double dam against monsters makes them great at countering slaanesh keepers (just recently played game where just 5 of these blew 10 wounds from kos) and fec gristlegore. They don't need support from other fyreslayer heroes.

Grimwraths are interesting as allied heroes. Good stand-alone heroes that hit hard and don't waste your leader slots.

Hearthguard berzerkers ain't that great as allies. You can only have 10 of them because you need fyreslayer hero near them and one hero just isn't good enough to protect this unit.

Excellent, I was already looking at the Grimmwrath, and hoping that it would work. The shooting sounds excellent as well, I have a friend who plays lots of big stompy boys. Interesting as well that the Grimmwrath isn't a leader

Okay, so this is a different list idea. The thought is, use Runeson with his warrior kinband on one flank for objectives. Then I've got the Lords of the Lodge to move around and cap the others. With the Runeson on Magmadroth, he can get up onto an objective, then the vulkites can come up to support. Get the hearthguard onto an objective, keep them supported with the battlesmith and the runemaster with prayer of ash to keep them on that objective with a 3+ save and a 4+ FNP.  Then the other 5 Hearthguard can just go wherever they're needed. 

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Greyfyrd

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)
- General
- Trait: Battle-scarred Veteran 
- Artefact: Helm of Obsidia 
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Artefact: Ash-cloud Rune 
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash
Battlesmith (140)
- Artefact: Icon of Grimnir's Condemnation 
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- Wyrmslayer Javelins
- Artefact: Obsidian Glowhelm 
- Magmadroth Trait: Flame-scale Youngblood
Grimwrath Berzerker (100)
- Artefact: Bracers of Ember-iron 

Battleline
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (240)
- Broadaxes
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
- War-Picks & Slingshields
- Pairs of Handaxes
5 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (120)
- Poleaxes

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (140)
Warrior Kinband (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 135

Any C&C welcome.

I’m considering  of building a five Magmadroth Lofnir list as the models are amazing and I love the idea of Five behemoths rampaging across the table! I was thinking  Runefather, 2 x Runesons, 2 x Runesmiters.

Being able to take a Magmadroth trait for each one is really cool, but I was wondering what you guys thought was the best combo of traits for five. They all seem pretty good, though Ashhorn Ancient with the re roll saves of 1 for Magmadroths in 6” bubble seems essential for at least one.

Any recommendations?

19 hours ago, TheHiddenWaffle said:

Has it been confirmed how the mercenary system works, as if not it might be worth waiting until we know before taking the plunge.

Assuming it works the same as allies, then I second grimwrath berserkers as a good choice. Otherwise I wonder if Auric Hearthguard might be a good idea as they fill a role (ranged support) that khorne don’t have many options in, and are handy anti-monster units. Otherwise both types of berserkers are fine choices- vulkites are cheaper and can be taken alone without losing too much. hearthguard are stronger, but their main selling point (durability) drops off if there’s no fyreslayer hero, or the one you take gets killed. 

@baloon dwarf- I like the look of that list and I’d be tempted to try it out myself, although I’m not sure how much mileage you’d get out of two battalions in one list, especially with Greyfyrd. Warrior kinband is ok, but is it worth considering a runesmiter to help with board control, or a unit of Auric Hearthguard instead?

8 hours ago, Azamar said:

@baloon dwarf- I like the look of that list and I’d be tempted to try it out myself, although I’m not sure how much mileage you’d get out of two battalions in one list, especially with Greyfyrd. Warrior kinband is ok, but is it worth considering a runesmiter to help with board control, or a unit of Auric Hearthguard instead?

The 2nd battalion means that I get all 5 heroes with artifacts, the runeson keeping building those command points with the glow helm to help with getting those charges. It gives me that bonus command point so I start with an extra one. Regarding board control, I figured the two magmadroth could help with that, running up onto objectives. I'll try it out. So far, having 3 ranks of vulkites to throw at things have helped in the battles I've had, but I wanted to get that second droth in. Thanks for taking the time though, I'll see how it goes. 

On 5/1/2019 at 10:58 PM, angrycontra said:

Well against fec fyreslayers are quite strong imo. You can stack saves with various mechanics (battlesmith, prayer of ash, forge brethren, runesmiter magmadroth and couple artifacts/traits) and the non-monster fec troops will just fail to do anything. Against gristlegore you got multiple tools:

- auric hearthguard deal 2 damage with their shooting attack against monsters. If you are using lofnir lodge you can even boost their killing power with lodge command ability. You can pop these guys anywhere on the map with runesmiter.

- hg berzerkers are so tough, that you can ideally tank gristlegore general's double pile in and then proceed to whack the thing out with what's left. Hermdar lodge command allows you to even attack before gristlegore general attacks (only in your turn however).

LoN is a bit more difficult. If you know you're facing LoN, I highly recommend aurics because it is imperative that you delete their heroes asap. The problem with LoN is that your guys can't grind through their forces fast enough (minus lotl battalion hgb) to not allow any models from ressing back to that unit. 

Thanks! This is really great and helpful advice! :)

So faq and errata have been published and with great surprise (at least for me  :D ) the battlesmith haven't been faqed... So they stack, that means heartguard berserker are totally out of scale at least for me, with hermdar Lodge and the various buff  they are simply unremovable... 

Edited by Arael

Played 1k vs. Stormcast today, felt the pain that is Evocators but was quite happy with my Vulkites. It is nice that they have a little more meat to them in units of 10.

Hearthguard melted against aforementioned Evocators but I had also misapplied them.

Wish I had used my Magdad better, kept having key units out of his Hermdar bubble. That said he is a total monster in a fight, popping the rend rune makes and having the extra rend on Magmadroth Melee rolls of 6 is quite spicy. 

Lost on points but it was definitely on me and not on the stuntibois. Now that I'm closer to more games I'm excited to get more in depth. 

I'm confused by yesterday's errata to the Magmic Battle Forge, and hoping someone here can explain it to me. If I'm understanding correctly, the Molten Blessing ability has been changed to be used in the hero phase rather than at the start of the hero phase. But doesn't that mean it now gets used after prayers have been cast?

Hoping I am missing something obvious here!