AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Right, I've got my first ever game with the Fyreslayers on Sunday against Nurgle and this list fields pretty all the models I have available apart from a Doomseeker. I like the idea with the Greyfyrd lodge, and figure I can boost my lower model count with the artifacts. What do you guys think of the choices so far? Any help would be appreciated, though I think a lot of it may come down to trying it and seeing what works. 

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Greyfyrd

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)
- General
- Trait: Battle-scarred Veteran 
- Artefact: Helm of Obsidia 
- Magmadroth Trait: Ash-horn Ancient
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Artefact: Ash-cloud Rune 
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash
Battlesmith (140)
- Artefact: Icon of the Ancestors 
Auric Runeson (100)
- Wyrmslayer Javelins
- Artefact: Obsidian Glowhelm 
Grimwrath Berzerker (100)
- Artefact: Bracers of Ember-iron 
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
- Prayer: Ember Storm

Battleline
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (240)
- Broadaxes
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (160)
- Handaxes & Slingshields
5 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (120)
- Poleaxes

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (140)
Warrior Kinband (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

20180819_220955.jpg

3 hours ago, Balloon Dwarf said:

Right, I've got my first ever game with the Fyreslayers on Sunday against Nurgle and this list fields pretty all the models I have available apart from a Doomseeker. I like the idea with the Greyfyrd lodge, and figure I can boost my lower model count with the artifacts. What do you guys think of the choices so far? Any help would be appreciated, though I think a lot of it may come down to trying it and seeing what works. 

- Lodge: Greyfyrd

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (280)
- General
- Trait: Battle-scarred Veteran 
- Artefact: Helm of Obsidia 
- Magmadroth Trait: Ash-horn Ancient
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Artefact: Ash-cloud Rune 
Battlesmith (140)
- Artefact: Icon of the Ancestors 
Auric Runeson (100)
- Wyrmslayer Javelins
- Artefact: Obsidian Glowhelm 
- Artefact: Bracers of Ember-iron 
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
- Prayer: Ember Storm

Battleline
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (240)
- Broadaxes
5 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (120)
- Poleaxes

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (140)
Warrior Kinband (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 131

20180819_220955.jpg

I would drop warrior kinband if I were you. It doesn't provide any real benefit to this army and you could use the extra points for 10 vulkites or something like that. 

Hello All,

New to the Forum and new to FyreSlayers. I just picked up some Hearthguard Bezerkers last week and I am hooked.

I have come up with the list below to start me off. Let me know what you think.

- Lodge: Vostarg

Leaders
Auric Runefather (100)
- General
- Trait: Fiery Endurance 
- Artefact: Vosaxe 
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- Wyrmslayer Javelins
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- Wyrmslayer Javelins
Battlesmith (140)
- Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon 
Auric Runemaster (120)
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Runic Iron
- Prayer: Prayer of Grimnir's Fury

Battleline

Units
10 x Auric Hearthguard (240)
10 x Auric Hearthguard (240)

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 136

• Like 1

Ah I see.  That makes more sense then :D

I like the double runeson with javelin on droths. Should be scary for other monsters to face. 

Personally I think I will run Hermdar or Greyfyrd (and I gotta try Lofnir once I have more Magmadroths!). I just love the lore of Hermdar, and greyfyrd getting more artefacts is fun but their command trait is probably the worst in the entire book xD

It's a meh buff that's also conditional I mean c'mon... 

Vostarg do seem really strong. Especially as they negate one of our weaknesses (speed). I'm just never a fan of the big 'main' factions xD

Edited by Mikeymajq
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikeymajq said:

Ah I see.  That makes more sense then :D

I like the double runeson with javelin on droths. Should be scary for other monsters to face. 

Personally I think I will run Hermdar or Greyfyrd (and I gotta try Lofnir once I have more Magmadroths!). I just love the lore of Hermdar, and greyfyrd getting more artefacts is fun but their command trait is probably the worst in the entire book xD

It's a meh buff that's also conditional I mean c'mon... 

Vostarg do seem really strong. Especially as they negate one of our weaknesses (speed). I'm just never a fan of the big 'main' factions xD

I like the look of Hermdar.

But I also like the idea of being able to run and change and i think I can get some first turn charges off with the runesons. I like how the whole model gets re-rolls as well

On 4/22/2019 at 7:03 AM, Joseph Mackay said:

since 2017 until late last year, Fyreslayers were my main army in aos. sadly i was getting a bit bored of them, within my group i basically auto won in Duality of Death and lost everything else. i dont think the army was bad, it was definately down to how i was playing them. however i did get bored of them and moved on.

after playing 2 games with the new book vs Stormcast and Beasts of Chaos, heres a bit of what i think

-Throwing Axes: disappointed they were nerfed to 5+
-Runes: small complaints. movement one nerfed to 2" and the throwing axes one was nerfed to bring the axes back up to 4+ why?
-lack of magic defense really hurts a lot more now than it used to pre endless spells. at least our one artefact for it is no longer once per game
-Magmadroths: cool that you can take 5 with Lofnir. the abilities being tidied up is good, the extra wounds, attacks and most of the mount traits are great, still die to a stiff breeze as always
-Hearthguard Berzerkers: they always felt overcosted b efore but now i think theyre great. theyve survived better than vulkites
-Vulkite Berzerkers: extra wound is great, normal axe attacks are better, no damage save hurts a lot (see below about points costs), Berzerker Fury is a bad rule, ours is once per game yet khorne get it all the time on a unit thats much better
-Infernoth: my favourite model of the prayers and i think it hs great rules. my only issue is you need a lot of priests to really take advantage of this and the other prayers
-Grimwrath Berzerker: greatly improved, my favourite foot hero. i look forward to game 3 where i plan to try a list using 10 or more of them (since they dont have the LEADER tag, you can take as many as you want but they cant be your general)
-Points: so heres the real dowside to the new rules (apart from not getting any new units). it feels like the points are based on what the units used to do and not what they do now. Vulkites cost too much at 160 without the damage save, Hearthguard Berzerkers could maybe go up by 20. magmadroth points are around the wrong way Runesmiter should be the cheaper one. battlesmith isnt worth 140 for what he does now (+1 save instead of reroll saves)

ive got a coule of list ideas i still have to try out before i fully form my oppinion, but so far im not enjoying playing them as much as i once did and i feel like i might end up going back to my Flesh-Eaters :/

“Not as good as flesh eaters” 

okay

I have to strongly disagree with negative first impressions about the new battletome. Fyreslayers are a top tier army now, with at least 2 incredibly powerful metacrusher lists so far (Hermdar + Lords of the Lodge & Lofnir Aurics + Forge Brethren). 

At the competitive level I don't see how Flesheaters can reliably beat the Fyreslayers. FEC really struggle to get past the wall of 1+ rerollable Hearthguard Berzerkers and/or Magmadroths, the undispellable fyrewalls blocking movement and sight, and Auric squads easily wiping monsters off the table.

Flesheaters can use their speed to control the table for the first 2 turns but they can't sit back and hold objectives forever because they lack the shooting and durability to play that way. Flesheaters are an army that must be aggressive, and Fyreslayers have perhaps the best defense in the game - you can take the charge, survive, and deal a devastating riposte. If you do it right Fyreslayers should almost always win a game that goes to 5 rounds, and the last 3 rounds are always more relevant in every battleplan.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, PJetski said:

I have to strongly disagree with negative first impressions about the new battletome. Fyreslayers are a top tier army now, with at least 2 incredibly powerful metacrusher lists so far (Hermdar + Lords of the Lodge & Lofnir Aurics + Forge Brethren). 

At the competitive level I don't see how Flesheaters can reliably beat the Fyreslayers. FEC really struggle to get past the wall of 1+ rerollable Hearthguard Berzerkers and/or Magmadroths, the undispellable fyrewalls blocking movement and sight, and Auric squads easily wiping monsters off the table.

Flesheaters can use their speed to control the table for the first 2 turns but they can't sit back and hold objectives forever because they lack the shooting and durability to play that way. Flesheaters are an army that must be aggressive, and Fyreslayers have perhaps the best defense in the game - you can take the charge, survive, and deal a devastating riposte. If you do it right Fyreslayers should almost always win a game that goes to 5 rounds, and the last 3 rounds are always more relevant in every battleplan.

Going to have to disagree with you here.  I would maybe put them at Beasts of Chaos or Gloomspite's level, but not in the bin with Idoneth/Daughters/Maggotkin/FEC/LON.  If you tailor into any of the builds you mentioned the army starts getting REALLY small IMO and then you will have a time contesting/taking objectives with units that move 4" and don't inherently run and charge unless you choose that lodge. The strongest top tier armies are strongest because of how well they can control the board, and how fast and hard they are able to hit early in the game. 

I'm just not seeing it with Fyreslayers but maybe time will tell.  I would be interested in seeing your top tier competitive Fyreslayers list though. The Lofnir list is potentially a hard counter to FEC but the command ability requires the priest to get within 12" of the target and that can be problematic/dangerous unless you have him on a Magmadroth (which you should) but then you can't pass off wounds to the aurics.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Lord Veshnakar said:

Going to have to disagree with you here.  I would maybe put them at Beasts of Chaos or Gloomspite's level, but not in the bin with Idoneth/Daughters/Maggotkin/FEC/LON.  If you tailor into any of the builds you mentioned the army starts getting REALLY small IMO and then you will have a time contesting/taking objectives with units that move 4" and don't inherently run and charge unless you choose that lodge. The strongest top tier armies are strongest because of how well they can control the board, and how fast and hard they are able to hit early in the game. 

I'm just not seeing it with Fyreslayers but maybe time will tell.  I would be interested in seeing your top tier competitive Fyreslayers list though. The Lofnir list is potentially a hard counter to FEC but the command ability requires the priest to get within 12" of the target and that can be problematic/dangerous unless you have him on a Magmadroth (which you should) but then you can't pass off wounds to the aurics.

That's my one big fear as well, I wonder if allies could help with that issue : mounted eovcators, endrinriggers...?
Or are we to rely on the magmadroths to go get those far away objectives ?

20 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

I bought two start collecting boxes but have not been able to read the battletome yet. But saw that there is a Magmadroth heavy lodge (Lofnir?). How would you build the boxes going down that route. 

Start with 2 Runesons (Javelins) for the re-roll synergy. Eventually add a Runefather and Runesmiter. Even with Lofnir I don't think you'll ever need more than those 4.

Edited by madmac
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

I bought two start collecting boxes but have not been able to read the battletome yet. But saw that there is a Magmadroth heavy lodge (Lofnir?). How would you build the boxes going down that route. 

Probably two runesons on magmadroths. Keep them within 6" of each other and they're rerolling all hits. Until you have 3 or 4 magmadroths, Lofnir isn't really worth it, and it'd probably be better to go with Vostarg until you get more droths. I'd wait until you get the book to plan out what you want your eventual list to look like. There are a lot of considerations to make with battalions, who to make your general, etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Veshnakar said:

I wouldn't put Idoneth, Daughters, Maggotkin, and LON in the same tier as FEC.

The strongest lists right now are Stormcast (Anvilstrike), Seraphon (Thunderquake), and Fyreslayers (Lofnir) because they can reliably beat the popular alpha strike lists like FEC, Idoneth, Daughters, etc. FEC earns a spot in the top tier because it is the definitive aggressive melee army, beating all other aggressive melee armies, but ultimately it still loses to these more well-rounded lists that can handle both range and melee.

4" move is definitely a weakness, but it can be overcome with good deployment and proper control of the battle. Fyreslayers completely crush any melee-focused army, and the Fyrewall almost single handedly counters ranged armies - Aurics shooting forces the enemy to come to you, and then they meet an unbreakable wall of Hearthguard/Magmadroths with 0+ rr1 saves. 

I'm still working on the list, of course, but I posted the core earlier in this thread.

This is all just my opinion, but I feel like I have a good grasp on what I'm talking about since I'm one of the top ranked players in the ITC :P

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

where are people getting 2+ rerolling saves or even 0+ saves from?

1's always fail, battlesmiths give +1 and they currently stack (some speculate that this might be changed if proven op). Some prayer also gives + to save and you can use cover (not to monsters) and so on to further protect yourself. 

Edited by Sauriv

7 hours ago, FlatTooth said:

“Not as good as flesh eaters” 

okay

although true (in my opinion), thats not what i was saying

for me, the army just isnt as fun to play as it used to be. Hearthguard dont die as eailiy now and they actually feel like the elite units they were always supposed to be, but vulkites die too easiliy and feel overcosted. the Runeson was always disappointing in combat even though hes an awesome model. ive not played with Auric Hearthguard yet but they used to feel overcosted and for basically the same stats you could take Irondrakes who got more wounds and i think more attacks too? Magmadroths (my favourite model in the army and what made me start them in the first place) are still way too fragile, even more so nowadays with every second unit in the game throwing mortal wounds around (i know, a bit of an exaggeration). theyre now too expensive to use as a 'distraction carnifex' to draw attentention away from the rest of your army. obvilously they arent 400pts so shouldnt be on FEC monster level but something just feels off. i mean to be fair i feel like all  onsters are way too fragile in the game. i dont think the set To Hit/To Wound system works, and giving monsters extra wounds to make up for the fact that anyone can hurt them just doesnt work.

theres a lot of good stuff in the new book too however, its just that im not enjoying them, which is a shame as i really love the models and i really got into their lore the first time round

in the old rules, it never made sense to me that only 'Berzerker' units had a damage save, as the fluff made it sound like it was the Ur-Gold Runes that gave them this ability in which case why didnt the other units and heroes have it?

• Thanks 1

Anyone else find the small section about rare Fyrequeens "who hold mighty powers" interesting? Love to see a model for that (not that we really need more heroes, but it still sounds cool). Give me a Fyrequeen riding a winged Magmadroth any day of the week.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sauriv said:

1's always fail, battlesmiths give +1 and they currently stack (some speculate that this might be changed if proven op). Some prayer also gives + to save and you can use cover (not to monsters) and so on to further protect yourself. 

The forge bretheren allows for one +1 save too