Jump to content

AoS 2 - Fyreslayers Discussion


Recommended Posts

Hi, 
I'm also going to try out a team tournament (2x1K) and am currently brainstorming what to bring. I feel like the Aurics outside of their lodge and at 1K are probably the unit you want to cut but it's worth testing. I'll do my own test runs and will comment here on my findings. I really want to find room for the grimwrath, he's just so amn fun! :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have literally never seen prochuvi post anything that wasnt extremely negative, so can't say his opinion surprises me. 

Magmadroth finished!!! For Grimnir!  

WIP of my Magmadroth! I'm currently done with the 'skin'. Now  I just need to do the head and all the horns/claws (they will get a bone-colour) and Ur-Gold runes. I'm going for more classic lizzard/dr

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Jetengine said:

Another question.

How does this army play exactly?

Like I play Gloomspite Gitz Trogherd and that's pretty simple. Keep your Trogboss nearby for morale buffs, rocktrogs throw rocks, rivertrogs hit stuff etc.

Slow and durable infantry with some big monsters mixed in. 

Powerful and purposeful - there are no reinforcements and no retreat, so every action counts.

Edited by PJetski
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PJetski said:

Slow and durable infantry with some big monsters mixed in. 

Powerful and purposeful - there are no reinforcements and no retreat, so every action counts.

How do you deal with objectives since that was always a loss with my Dispossesed ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jetengine said:

How do you deal with objectives since that was always a loss with my Dispossesed ?

Well unlike dispossessed, fyreslayers have fast units in magmadroths plus runesmiter deepstriking. Furthermore once per game +2 to move from allegiance power plus run and charge mechanics from vostarg lodge and/or prayers give them extra edge. They're still not that great with objectives but better than dispossessed for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen several Fyreslayer conversion now with the model holding a long stem smoking pipe in one hand. Most notably a 2016 Golden Demon winner by Angelo Di Chello (can't link images at work). Does anyone know what kit this is from? I'm assuming its GW since it was used in Golden Demon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Forrix said:

I've seen several Fyreslayer conversion now with the model holding a long stem smoking pipe in one hand. Most notably a 2016 Golden Demon winner by Angelo Di Chello (can't link images at work). Does anyone know what kit this is from? I'm assuming its GW since it was used in Golden Demon.

I haven't seen the conversion youre talking about but the cogsmith model (formerly Grimm Burloksson) has a pipe he is smoking.

99070205004_GrimmBurlokssonNEW01.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forrix said:

I've seen several Fyreslayer conversion now with the model holding a long stem smoking pipe in one hand. Most notably a 2016 Golden Demon winner by Angelo Di Chello (can't link images at work). Does anyone know what kit this is from? I'm assuming its GW since it was used in Golden Demon.

Maybe It comes from the magmadroth kit (or Start Collecting).  Dont know how long stem you mean.
Here:
Store page
There is a shot of the sprue. It should be part number 95 (bottom left corner of the top right sector).
Comparison shot of another model

Edited by Marrdt
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marrdt said:

Maybe It comes from the magmadroth kit (or Start Collecting).  Dont know how long stem you mean.
Here:
Store page
There is a shot of the sprue. It should be part number 95 (bottom left corner of the top right sector).
Comparison shot of another model

Looks like that might be it. Totally missed that that kit has a pipe in it. Think they just combined it with a open hand from somewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Guys got a question.

 

The Ash Storm prayer is a 4+ if the previews I saw are correct right?

 

I'm asking because in my Battletome (The German one) there are all prayers with 3+, even Ash Storm.

 

Should be a misprint in the Translation?

But I find it a bit curious because it's a printed number O.o

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Maier666 said:

Hey Guys got a question.

 

The Ash Storm prayer is a 4+ if the previews I saw are correct right?

 

I'm asking because in my Battletome (The German one) there are all prayers with 3+, even Ash Storm.

 

Should be a misprint in the Translation?

But I find it a bit curious because it's a printed number O.o

It sounds like translation error. That 4+ prayer feels to me that it was made like that by design (since it's best prayer in the book)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2019 at 7:37 PM, PJetski said:

If you are having trouble with alpha strike armies you should use the magmic invocations to block space. Terrorgheists are fast but they have huge bases and you can make it impossible for them to finish a charge with some clever invocation placement.

Also, Magmadroths can be unbelievably tanky - along the lines of a Stardrake but with much better damage output. With a Smoldering Helm and +4 to saves they can wipe out enemy units with their own attacks.

Against magic heavy armies the Fyrewall does a great job at blocking line of sight, and if you need to stop key defensive spells you can bring a Knight-Incantor.

How the hell do you reach +4 to save ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ledha said:

How the hell do you reach +4 to save ?

Oh, loads of different ways. 

1. Battlesmith aura stacks with itself. Just bring 4 Battlesmiths and keep your units in range.

2. Prayer of Ash from any Priest

3. Runesmiter on Magmadroths Grand Ritual of Awakening. Also stacks, but only usable once per game

4. Forge Brethren battalion gives a unit +1 Save in the enemy hero phase until your next hero phase so if the enemy gets a double turn you can get +2 to saves with that ability.

5. Cover

6. Magmadroth trait reduces enemy Rend by 1, which isn't the same thing but is very similar

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Oh, loads of different ways. 

1. Battlesmith aura stacks with itself. Just bring 4 Battlesmiths and keep your units in range.

2. Prayer of Ash from any Priest

3. Runesmiter on Magmadroths Grand Ritual of Awakening. Also stacks, but only usable once per game

4. Forge Brethren battalion gives a unit +1 Save in the enemy hero phase until your next hero phase so if the enemy gets a double turn you can get +2 to saves with that ability.

5. Cover

6. Magmadroth trait reduces enemy Rend by 1, which isn't the same thing but is very similar

Oh, i forgot the battlesmith stack (even if it's the type of thing that mostly work on theory and not in practice)

However, magmadroth being a monster, i think you can forget cover save

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all,

Sorry to be troubling you but after spending so long painting up hundreds of rats for my skaven army I just fancy starting up a new little project and fyreslayers caught my eye when I first started looking at age of sigmar. So I have decided to pluge right in and start up a force. From what I have read on the forums do people in the know think that getting a couple of start collecting sets and then going from there is still a good idea after the new battletomb has droped please? If not what would people please suggest as a good way to start.

Many thanks for reading.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, deumosd said:

Hello all,

Sorry to be troubling you but after spending so long painting up hundreds of rats for my skaven army I just fancy starting up a new little project and fyreslayers caught my eye when I first started looking at age of sigmar. So I have decided to pluge right in and start up a force. From what I have read on the forums do people in the know think that getting a couple of start collecting sets and then going from there is still a good idea after the new battletomb has droped please? If not what would people please suggest as a good way to start.

Many thanks for reading.

The Start Collecting Box is always a good starting point for the army. You'll get several core heroes, Magmadroths, and battleline.

The only thing you really lack from there are a few standalone heroes (You want the Battlesmith for sure, the others are optional) and Hearthguard. Hearthguard are super-great now, but you don't need to start building those up until you've got a good army core of the other stuff.  Hearthguard are basically just your elite melee/ranged guys, once you've got a basic force you can decide how many of either you want.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally took my fyreslayers out for their first 2000 point game yesterday.  We were playing the reclaim the forge scenario from the book, so I built an army based around 2 runeson brothers setting out to reclaim a lost stronghold and start a new lodge. This was also an excuse to put every Vulkite berserker I had in the force to see how they got on. I was up against DOK

Ultimately I lost- I was nowhere near careful enough with my runesmiters, and lost both by turn 2 with only one brazier alight. With Morathi in full on beast mode and hanging out near the forge my chances of lighting were pretty slim, and I never quite made the roll. 

that’s not to say fyreslayers are slouches- they dished out and soaked up an impressive amount of damage, and were it not for Morathi, and the scenario command ability allowing units to return at will there would not have been many DOK left on the table by the end, although the close distance between armies at the start of this scenario definitely helped me there. 

I don’t really feel the need to talk much about the hearthguard, as everyone and their dog knows that they’re incredible now, although I have to say I found the broadaxes more reliable damage wise despite the smaller unit. 

Vulkite Berserkers are.... ok. They’re not going to be the unit everyone is talking about, but they’re far from useless. I was hampered by some abysmal dice (at one point, 13 wounds against a 4+ save and I failed 11 of them!) but they were solid throughout, did reasonable damage. The unit of 20 with shields could soak up a lot of punishment, especially if I managed to get them in range of the battlesmith. The smaller units of 10 were better for board control, can operate away from the heroes without losing much, and could be particularly nasty if awakened steel is active. I’m not sure the warrior kinband will be a good choice in the long term, but for now it’s a more forgiving way to learn when best to activate their ability, with a second bite of the cherry if you get it wrong the first time. 

I can’t comment on how the prayers were as I failed to cast Emberstorm at every attempt, and my runesmiter on foot died before he even reached a hero phase. Oh well, next time.. 

my list and a couple of shots from the battle below! 

3A6656D5-1CE8-4E49-B281-3A0AD8E8A6F4.png

8A3BF2FE-D0E3-4FC5-BEAE-1F6C50EE0CA9.jpeg

85962E06-127A-462D-A015-2CB46ECBA754.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, deumosd said:

Hello all,

Sorry to be troubling you but after spending so long painting up hundreds of rats for my skaven army I just fancy starting up a new little project and fyreslayers caught my eye when I first started looking at age of sigmar. So I have decided to pluge right in and start up a force. From what I have read on the forums do people in the know think that getting a couple of start collecting sets and then going from there is still a good idea after the new battletomb has droped please? If not what would people please suggest as a good way to start.

Many thanks for reading.

Before this new battletomb i felt that magmadroths were quite bad but now they seams much better, making the start collecting an even better purchase. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Azamar said:

I can’t comment on how the prayers were as I failed to cast Emberstorm at every attempt, and my runesmiter on foot died before he even reached a hero phase. Oh well, next time.. 

This is why I'm thinking it might be a good idea for every army to include at least 1 unit of Auric Hearthguard to pass wounds off of your valuable foot heroes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...