AoS 2 - Free Peoples Discussion

Chris Tomlin

22 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Except the shoe issue.

I HATE the shoe issue one of the models has. Prefer me the look of the 6th edition infantry. 😤

But anyways GW really likes their TM stamps. After all outside of GW official places, it gets a bit hard to justify paying a lot for Empire/Free Guild when you can mix Perry (who used to make the Empire models) and Warlord for like....60% less money.

I like these guys from Warlord Games a lot - think they make excellent Freeguild: 

Spoiler

202016003-Landsknechts-missile-troops-bo

202016002-Landsknechts-with-Zweihanders-

Granted, they look a bit static due to being RnF - but then again, Free Peoples are a mass infantry army, the core troops don't have to look overly elaborate.

And of course, they cost less than a third than GW Empire troops. 

Which artefacts do you guys use to get the most mileage if you're playing a game too small to utilise a general on a griffin?

I've finally bought and painted my Karl Franz model so i will be using the Graph Feather Charm on the Griffin General but outside of that, any recommendations? I usually take armour of meteoric iron to boost the save on my general.

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

Which artefacts do you guys use to get the most mileage if you're playing a game too small to utilise a general on a griffin

I like the "Writ of Dominion", once a game you get +1 wound to all units wholly within 12". This can be really useful on Xbows. With hold the Line you get them down to 3+ to hit, 2+ to wound and rending on each 4+ ! :D

Another good one can be the "Broken Shackles", but these are mostly for the griffon. Someone mentioned this in this thread. With this artefact you can retreat over a line of chaff to charge into the juicy stuff behind in the same turn. This sounds promising.

Personally i run the "Sword of Judgement" on the Griffon. I think this is nearly mandatory  because it gives you the mortal wound output you just need for some encounters. Killed a Treelord in one turn with this. He was on 2+ safe with rerolling ones. Unkillable with XBows but the sword can hit pretty hard. Give the Griffon the Runesword as melee weapon so he has 5 attacks. With his own command ability on himself, each 5+ on a hit gives D6 mortal wounds. This can be insanely good. If you`re already in combat you can even give him "Hold the line" to trigger the sword on 4+ 🤪

The "Armor of Meteoric iron" is also good. But I never use it because my General always has "Indomitable" as command trait giving everyone wholly within 12" +1 to safe.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 1:11 AM, Stulle said:

I really like this idea, will try this in my next games. Thanks for this tip. Sounds fun :)

Ahhh...damn, I forgot about this stupid rule. This one really sucks. For the FreeGuilds it is nearly impossible to include more than 2 allied units :(

I myself played my first small local tournament last weekend to great success. Scored second place with a similar list.

Hide contents

Allegiance: Free Peoples
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Luminark Of Hysh With White Battlemage (240)
- Allies
Freeguild General On Griffon (260)
- General
- Shield & Runesword
- Trait: Indomitable
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
Freeguild General On Griffon (260)
- Shield & Greathammer
Freeguild General (100)
- Stately War Banner

Battleline
20 x Freeguild Guard (160)
- Swords and Shields
30 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (300)
10 x Freeguild Archers (100)
20 x Freeguild Guard (160)
- Swords and Shields
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)

Endless Spells
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 162

It is mainly inspired by the one  @Hugh Halligan is playing. (See this vid on Page 6 of this Thread, great insight!) Next time i will skip the Quicksilver Swords and gamble for a triumph. I never used them in the tournament and think the triumph on a 30 man block of XBow men will have far more effect.

The Tourny was really fun. I played Ironyaws in the first game on "The Better Part of Valour". Killed two mawcrusahers with the the crossbows only loosing one unit of guards in the process. The second game was on "Shifting Objectives" and really close and tense. In the end I wasn`t able to win against a DoK player. But even 80 witch aelves can be shred to pieces by Freeguild crossbow lines. The 3th game was "Focal Points" against a Legions of Nagash list. Luckily i was able to snipe his general turn 2 with my Luminark. After this the crossbows just had to perform their bloody work killing 60 zombies and  20 grave guards in one turn .

Here some Pics:

Hide contents

20181117-IMG_5089.jpg.cb6478f81e23cf8ba407ece057db6599.jpg

20181117-IMG_5121.jpg.2b34abec1ba5d3adb863634344ab35f1.jpg

20181117-IMG_5131.jpg.5514da5cb67dbd3bbe2ba5c15f5e29e7.jpg20181117-IMG_5171.jpg.8cd0ffa1693fab25d7200516574197fe.jpg

20181117-IMG_5200.jpg.578c3f0581c1767b94074fe7efc4da8c.jpg

20181117-IMG_5202.jpg.a30eba98398466998a3dfbb87f71efad.jpg20181117-IMG_5218.jpg.13271b3934f2f8cc5c00706b01d5ae7a.jpg

20181117-IMG_5225.jpg.23d85a402f1c0eca5099cf2ce229c0de.jpg

In the end i tabled two opponents and nearly tabled the DoK. In 3 games i killed 4300 points more than i lost. So the FreeGuilds can perform really well. With a little bit of luck here an there ;)

If you are interrested in a recap of the tournament by the DoK-player you can watch a video here. There you can hear his thoughts when facing the FreeGuilds.

Sooo...long post finished. I hope it was fun to read for at least some of you guys.
I wish you all the best of fun in your next games. For the glory of the Empire!

Great info! Thanks!

Have you ever tried a block of 40 Guard to get more out of the General's buff and the the unit buffs?

11 hours ago, Stulle said:

I like the "Writ of Dominion", once a game you get +1 wound to all units wholly within 12". This can be really useful on Xbows. With hold the Line you get them down to 3+ to hit, 2+ to wound and rending on each 4+ ! :D

Another good one can be the "Broken Shackles", but these are mostly for the griffon. Someone mentioned this in this thread. With this artefact you can retreat over a line of chaff to charge into the juicy stuff behind in the same turn. This sounds promising.

Personally i run the "Sword of Judgement" on the Griffon. I think this is nearly mandatory  because it gives you the mortal wound output you just need for some encounters. Killed a Treelord in one turn with this. He was on 2+ safe with rerolling ones. Unkillable with XBows but the sword can hit pretty hard. Give the Griffon the Runesword as melee weapon so he has 5 attacks. With his own command ability on himself, each 5+ on a hit gives D6 mortal wounds. This can be insanely good. If you`re already in combat you can even give him "Hold the line" to trigger the sword on 4+ 🤪

The "Armor of Meteoric iron" is also good. But I never use it because my General always has "Indomitable" as command trait giving everyone wholly within 12" +1 to safe.

Rending on a 4+? How do you bring down the rend requirement on xbows from a 6 to a 4? It's usually 4 to wound unburied and 6 becomes rend. Does the rend requirement come down with the wound buffs?

I always use indomitable as well. You want your guards surviving as long as possible to protect the damaging units in gunners and crossbowmen. 

Played two 3 way objective games a couple of days ago. The problem with more than 2 battle rounds per turn is you have to defend in each battle round of combat (which FG isn't good at) but can only shoot on your turn. Up against ironjawz with a maw crusher the brutes just chewed through my guards before i could do anything. I killed the maw crusher which was a plus. A 2+ save ignoring -1 rend is awful. The Khorne left me virtually alone. 

The second game against moonclan and khorne i dominated by killing anything that got near the objective with crossbowmen. I also finally got my steam tank to do something. It's a difficult model to work with so far as it has multiple functions and can get badly bogged down in combat. 

I see a few people putting up pictures, now that i have my army virtually complete I might have to put a few up. 

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

Played two 3 way objective games a couple of days ago. The problem with more than 2 battle rounds per turn is you have to defend in each battle round of combat (which FG isn't good at) but can only shoot on your turn. Up against ironjawz with a maw crusher the brutes just chewed through my guards before i could do anything. I killed the maw crusher which was a plus. A 2+ save ignoring -1 rend is awful. The Khorne left me virtually alone. 

Were you using Great Companies? Those let you shoot at the end of the enemy charge phase as long as the shooting unit isn't themselves engaged and in suitable range. That and crossbow units can shoot back if charged if they have pipers.

6 hours ago, Saxon said:

Rending on a 4+? How do you bring down the rend requirement on xbows from a 6 to a 4? It's usually 4 to wound unburied and 6 becomes rend. Does the rend requirement come down with the wound buffs?

The warscroll states:

Each time you roll a wound roll of 6 or more for a Crossbow, that attack is resolved with a Rend of -1 instead of '-'. "

So each bonus to wound rolls also improves this effect. :DI read this from "6 or more" and not "unmodified 6" like on other warscrolls.

For the Ironyaws game. Is it possible that you focusfired the mawcrusha before killing the brutes? Formerly I did this myself, but I learned that it`s often better to kill the "battleline" units, which will in the end often deal more damage, than a big monster.

I hope you had the Great Companies like @Adenmentioned?

Edited by Stulle
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 2:58 PM, Aden said:

Were you using Great Companies? Those let you shoot at the end of the enemy charge phase as long as the shooting unit isn't themselves engaged and in suitable range. That and crossbow units can shoot back if charged if they have pipers.

Yeh i was and they did well when they first got into combat against brutes. I always use great companies and full command. Once the brutes got in though (turn 2 given their silly movement abilities) the great company abilities were done. 

On 12/29/2018 at 6:19 PM, Stulle said:

The warscroll states:

Each time you roll a wound roll of 6 or more for a Crossbow, that attack is resolved with a Rend of -1 instead of '-'. "

So each bonus to wound rolls also improves this effect. :DI read this from "6 or more" and not "unmodified 6" like on other warscrolls.

For the Ironyaws game. Is it possible that you focusfired the mawcrusha before killing the brutes? Formerly I did this myself, but I learned that it`s often better to kill the "battleline" units, which will in the end often deal more damage, than a big monster.

I hope you had the Great Companies like @Adenmentioned?

Yeh i went hard at the maw crusher. The issue is to keep the wholly within requirements I often have to blob my army meaning i usually have 1 side exposing my gunners or crossbowmen on the charge. The maw crusher can fly and the risk of it getting beside my gunners and charging was too great. 

The maw crusher was also used incorrectly (again). He was using a 2+ save ignoring all rend. The rend ignore is the ethereal amulet but we have now established that the maw crusher cannot have the 2+ save as it would have to be a command trait (amulet is an artefact and you can't have 2 artefacts on one model even with a battalion). 

With Ironjawz, you have to take out the buffing heroes i.e. war chanters as parking them behind brutes is brutal. They get like 5 attacks each and bonuses to hit. 

1 hour ago, Warbossironteef said:

I'm looking for people who know more than me about the Free Peoples. Would it make sense at all for an army to include some Dwarf and Halfling in the army? I wasn't sure what the lore says about those two factions. I think it would be cool to have a mixed race army.

In AoS, Order races are far more likely to be together since they live together (except Deepkin, those guys are really weird!)

• Like 1

Does anyone have any examples/pictures  of a mixed race army? I was thinking about buying some Aleves and then using some of my dwarfs and having mixed raced units of Crossbowmen (all 3 races), Handgunners (Dwarfs and Freeguild) and Guard (all 3 races). I think if you paint them in the same colors and base them the same way they could work.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

Does anyone have any examples/pictures  of a mixed race army? I was thinking about buying some Aleves and then using some of my dwarfs and having mixed raced units of Crossbowmen (all 3 races), Handgunners (Dwarfs and Freeguild) and Guard (all 3 races). I think if you paint them in the same colors and base them the same way they could work.

This actually aounds like a really nice idea. Never saw this before. But I think it can look really nice. Just give it a go and post some pictures here :D
I think Greatswords can go really well with the swordmasters of the aelves. Archers can mix very well too.

I just looked around the GW store and being somehow hyped about this idea. Maybe I`ll try something in the next weeks. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• Like 1

I'm leaning towards Wisseland colors and lore. I think it would be cool to incorporate a lot of Dwarfs into the army based on Wisseland's culture. I also think I'm going to include some Temple ruins into my bases because Wisseland includes the remnants of destroyed Solland. I'd like to do an end of Winter type base with some melting snow, yellow/brown foliage and then incorporate some Temple ruins. It sounds like a fun challenge, now I just have to find the time :).

On 12/21/2018 at 8:35 AM, Esmer said:

I like these guys from Warlord Games a lot - think they make excellent Freeguild: 

Reveal hidden contents

202016003-Landsknechts-missile-troops-bo

202016002-Landsknechts-with-Zweihanders-

Granted, they look a bit static due to being RnF - but then again, Free Peoples are a mass infantry army, the core troops don't have to look overly elaborate.

And of course, they cost less than a third than GW Empire troops. 

I just bought the starter box of these guys and am very satisfied with the quality of the models! Just want to give the heads up they are a touch smaller than your standard GW free guild though (picture below). Also, I advise people to try and clip the spear sprue so they don't bend. 

comparison fg wg.JPG

Edited by Aden
Typo + more info

Hello guys. It`s now nearly a year since i started warhammering. Since then a lot of free guild models got painted and many battles were fought. I opend a blog to documentate the development of my free peoples. Maybe you want to have a look? You find the link in the signature.

Have Fun!

Edited by Stulle
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Here is a sneak peek at my Wissenland color scheme. This is my test model, still work in progress and it's a little messy. 

Good to see another free people army going  :D
But I have to admit, that I`m more of a colorful guy. So the Wissenlands colors are not mine. But I`m sure it will become an awsome army!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i started building a free peoples army (returned to warhammer after around 18 years :D).  Im currently at 1000 points with the following list:

LEADERS
Freeguild General (100)
- General
- Command Trait : Indomitable
- Stately War Banner
Freeguild General on Griffon (260)
- Shield & Runesword

UNITS
30 x Freeguild Guard (240)
- Halberds and Shields

TOTAL: 1000/1000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS:0 WOUNDS: 88

its shame to not get the 40 Guards, but that was the only way i saw to fit in both Griffon and a great company with enough crossbows.  For the Griffon im debating if i give him the Runesword together with the Sword of Judgement artifact (D6 mortals on a 6+ hit against monsters and heros) or hammer and some tank item. Thoughts?

My plan to expand is the following list:

LEADERS
Freeguild General (100)
- General
- Command Trait : Indomitable
- Stately War Banner
- Shield & Runesword
- Shield & Greathammer
Luminark of Hysh With White Battlemage (240)
- Allies
Knight-Azyros (100)
- Allies
UNITS
40 x Freeguild Guard (280)
- Halberds and Shields
10 x Freeguild Greatswords (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
TOTAL: 1900/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2 WOUNDS: 147
LEADERS: 5/6 BATTLELINES: 4 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 3/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 0/1 ALLIES: 340/400

My thought was, that the main block should be able to hold the middle, while the griffons can go hunt down main targets and enemy objectives.  The knight azyros seems quite nice in free peoples as it works well with the griffons (4+ for D6 with the Swords and the command ability) as well as shooting (especially the unreliable luminark...). The question i have is: Do you think there is enough damage output and bodies or is it necessary to go for a second block of crossbows?

Thinking about adding some movement to a standard Freepeoples list but I have 180 lefts and I don't know what to do with them. How would you finish this list?

LEADERS
Neave Blacktalon (120)
Freeguild General (100)
UNITS
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (200)
40 x Freeguild Guard (280)
- Swords and Shields
TOTAL: 1820/2000