AoS 2 - Free Peoples Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 8/12/2018 at 8:11 AM, Talarian said:

Thanks for the replies guys!

How do you get handgunners to do 2dmg each?! 

I like handgunners as they look cooler imo. But I feel X-bows are better suited for a mobile playstyle. Then again, I was thinking with 20+ and a Griffon +1 to hit they’d still be hitting and wounding on 3s at a -1rend and can still be mobile. 

I think I’ll get the grratswords as well, they just look too cool. Start with 10, like you said. 

Im still learning AoS rules, but what you’re saying is stay 3” away from my unit and counter charge in wth a company rules or drummer charge? They’ll still be susceptible to being hit first when my opponent activates though, no? Unless they charge in after my opponent attacked first. Can you please clarify :)

Handgunners do 2 damage at 30" when they are the the Marksman (old champion) with a long rifle. 3 10 man Handgunner groups on turn one are 3/3/-1/2 at 30". Then if you didnt move, you can hold the line. Now they are 2/2 and that hits very often. Its enough to one turn kill a wizard or weapons crew. Or take 6 off Nagash.

In terms of closing, you can drummer move always unless that unit was charged...then you can great company charge if you didnt close fully. 

Like you said, of course they can choose to pile in first, but if the Greatswords charged a flank, they should not get the full brunt of the enemies counter. Again, this is why I like at least 20. Taking 5 wounds with 20 hurts less than 5 of 10.  Even if you pile in second, you still hit 30 times.

The challenge for me with Greatswords is to not baby them too much so they miss the fight. But also not have them in the front so they do not get charged first. Its a balancing act.

Ah ok, yes, one model lee unit is 2dmg, got ya :).

You can D6” drummer mover + 2D6” charge!? That’s awesome! Thank you.

another question for you fine folk, on the hobby aspect now.

has anyone had any luck magnatizing crossbowman and handgunners ? 

As well as luminark of Hysh and Celeatial Hurricanum? 

Thanks! 

10 hours ago, Lord marcus said:

is anyone else annoyed they never put empire knights in the freeguild list?

Maybe the mold broke and they didn't feel like making a new one? Either that or they thought it would be redundant to have both normal knights and demigryphs. Or they thought "well people own too many normal knights, so lets try to sell more demigryph knights!"

10 hours ago, Lord marcus said:

I am, I had built my original army around 30 knights and their knightly order that rejects the praise of Sigmar and try to convert other free people away from the lies of the absent god. It was thematic, it had awesome color schemes, and then the knights were removed before I was able to put the whole army together and paint it all up. It was an older kit, but I loved them anyways.

1 hour ago, Lobeau said:

I am, I had built my original army around 30 knights and their knightly order that rejects the praise of Sigmar and try to convert other free people away from the lies of the absent god. It was thematic, it had awesome color schemes, and then the knights were removed before I was able to put the whole army together and paint it all up. It was an older kit, but I loved them anyways.

I say we start a movement

On 8/13/2018 at 8:33 PM, Lord marcus said:

I am sad they do not exist. I tracked down a dusty box of 8 and built and painted them during the first ghb when I could still run them and when there was still Reiksguard and Empire knights.

I now use them as look a like proxies, they have now been; Rough Riders in 40k, Human Dragon Knights, and Blood Knights. They are well painted and obvious knights. No one has complained yet.

9 hours ago, Cerlin said:

I am sad they do not exist. I tracked down a dusty box of 8 and built and painted them during the first ghb when I could still run them and when there was still Reiksguard and Empire knights.

I now use them as look a like proxies, they have now been; Rough Riders in 40k, Human Dragon Knights, and Blood Knights. They are well painted and obvious knights. No one has complained yet.

GW's really killed the Old World feel and horses are not cool anymore. I do miss my Knighs BUT I'm much prefer my wizards and warmachines back... 

43 minutes ago, MrCharisma said:

GW's really killed the Old World feel and horses are not cool anymore. I do miss my Knighs BUT I'm much prefer my wizards and warmachines back... 

I still miss Kislev. If they made them a 1 weekend only Made To Order website exclusive, I would actually drop +$500!

43 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I still miss Kislev. If they made them a 1 weekend only Made To Order website exclusive, I would actually drop +$500!

I'll be honest... I've been trying to make the Ice Queen of Kislev as my Frost Phoenix hero. Still don't have the execution down pat yet

On 8/12/2018 at 9:33 AM, Stulle said:

Hey guys,

I had a fun game with a buddy yesterday and wanna tell you how my freeguilds performed against Nagash himself. We both started wargaming 7 months ago, so there were some stupid faults and a lotta fun on both sides :)

I took the list @Matador suggested earlier in this thread with one adjustment. I took a second general instead of 10 xbows because i know my mate always tries to snipe my general.

Reveal hidden contents

Allegiance: Free Peoples

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
- General
- Stately War Banner
- Trait: Indomitable
- Artefact: Writ of Dominion
Freeguild General (100)  --> proxied by a Gunmaster
- Stately War Banner

Battleline
20 x Freeguild Guard (160)
- Militia Weapons
20 x Freeguild Guard (160)
- Militia Weapons
10 x Freeguild Guard (80)
- Militia Weapons
30 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (300)  --> proxied by 30 Handgunners
20 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (200)
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)
10 x Freeguild Greatswords (140)
3 x Demigryph Knights (140)
- Lance and Sword

Units
5 x Freeguild Outriders (130)
5 x Freeguild Pistoliers (130)   --> proxied by 5 Chaos Knights ?

Battalions
Freeguild Regiment (210)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 162

He played Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead with his Battalion.

Reveal hidden contents

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash

Leaders
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)
- General
Necromancer (110)

Battleline
2 x Morghast Harbingers (220)
- Spirit Swords
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
15 x Grave Guard (240)
- Great Wight Blades

Units
5 x Black Knights (120)

Battalions
The First Cohort (160)

Endless Spells
Umbral Spellportal (60)   --> proxied by 2 Nighthaut Endless Spells

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 98

We played the scenario "The Better Part Of Valor". I played 2 drops with the whole battalion at once + 2 second general so i finshed first and gave him the first turn. Here a picture after deployment. His Gravesides marked in red and the 6 objectives marked in yellow.

20180811_121521.jpg.f3c8788d6ad86db7dc069af41ce4ecf6.jpg

In the first round nothing big happened. He moved forward and tried some magic with the Spell Portals which happily only killed one Guard. I also moved forward and tried to block Nagash and his Morghast with my Guards so they couldn`t fly over the mountains. On the far left my cavalary went for the objective but wasn`t able to obtain it in the first round.
Here a Pic after the first Round:
20180811_125323.jpg.a570e218a0aac96b3925e9241f1a414c.jpg

For the second Round i was lucky and got the double turn. I was able to clear the Black Knights on the left and claim the objective. I didn`t wanted to move the units which blocked Nagash so i did nothing more on my turn. I was curious wether he will get Nagash through the center or if he will bring him back to the left to reclaim the objective. I would have been happy if he`d move Nagash in the corner of the battlefield :D. Unfortuenatly he only send the Morrghast down on his turn. Nagash moved up the center and killed the Guards. His Morghast killed my Pisotliers. He decided to burn his objective on the right because he knows what a Great Company with 50 xbows can do.  Afterwards he moved his Grave Guard into the middle.

In the third round he was lucky and got the double turn. (Pity for burning the objective on the end of round 2)
This Pic shows the table after his movement phase in round 3. My general in the middle was dust-handed by Nagash through the spell portal shortly before :(20180811_144613.jpg.56418444d0e53a2a4f1c393fd274270d.jpg

The Morghasts managed to kill one Demigryph and 3 Outriders. Luckily i still had the objective. Nagash didn`t do much, he just killed the last Greatswords and some Handgunner. His skeletons finally arrived at the enemy lines and i faced horrendous 130 attacks against my Guards which got debuffed twice (-2 hit, -2 bravery) beforehand by Nagash. They just killed them all.
On my 3th turn i made a big mistake bringing my remainig cavalary to the center to threaten his objective. I intended to burn the objective on the lower left but forget that my units hat to remain there until the end of the turn to do so ?
But my Crossbows went crazy on the skeletons, with Hold the Line and Writ of Dominion it took only 30 xBows to inflict 33 wounds and kill all of them!
I burned the upper left and middle objectives at the end of the 3th round. If not for my stuiped fault with the lower left objective i would have won here. So there was still a chance for him if he could break my Great Company and save his last objective until the end.

He started the 4th round and did some magic. The game ende was he faileing a charge on my cavalary with his Morghast. Double 1 :D
We ended the game here because I would have taken his last objective at the end of my 4th turn.
Here`s a pic of the end
20180811_162753.jpg.67dce68a8f4073bd18f1a8a7a01ea265.jpg

It was a really funny game. I played the regiment for the first time. The cavalary is really strong with the +1hit buff by the regiment. Bringing them down to steal his objective was the game winner for me i guess. For the Great Company i can`t say much, they stayed in the corner most of the game. I will definitly deploy them in the center next time. On the other hand they made the opponent to burn his objective too early. I like the fact that Great Companies strike fear into the hearts of the opponents :)

I hope you guys enjoyed the reading. Some comments or tips for future games are much appreciated.

Great post mate, I love that you were smacking down one of the "new hotness" armies as well.  And yeah, how great is that regiment?  it even makes the horses scary! LOL.  Keep up the good work, going to send a you a message with pics of the 'Great Company Snakes of Doom' when I get home tonight.  

• Like 2

I'm thinking of building a Freeguild army for a 1250 point tournament in a few months. I've only played Brayherd/Warherd in AoS so far, so I'm not sure what a reasonably competitive list would be.  Any suggestions?

I've heard Crossbows are good and so is the Freeguild Guard with swords. Should I just get as many blobs of those guys? I assume that probably the Battalion is out of the question at only 1250 points so probably not worth taking Greatswords?

Edited by The_Yellow_Sign

On 8/25/2018 at 11:51 PM, The_Yellow_Sign said:

I'm thinking of building a Freeguild army for a 1250 point tournament in a few months. I've only played Brayherd/Warherd in AoS so far, so I'm not sure what a reasonably competitive list would be.  Any suggestions?

I've heard Crossbows are good and so is the Freeguild Guard with swords. Should I just get as many blobs of those guys? I assume that probably the Battalion is out of the question at only 1250 points so probably not worth taking Greatswords?

Welcome to the Free Guild. I like all the models you listed. It can come down to preference. I think each model in the army is viable if used right.

I made a list then let me give you details.

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
- Shield & Lance
Freeguild General (100)
- Stately War Banner
Freeguild General On Griffon (260)
- Shield & Greathammer
Battlemage (120)

Battleline
30 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (300)
10 x Freeguild Greatswords (140)
30 x Freeguild Guard (240)
- Halberds and Shields

Total: 1260 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 14
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 98

This army has 1 great company, uses both generals in the general box, has a monster, and a little magic.

With the griffon using Armor of Meteoric Iron, you have a hard to shift centerpiece. The great company gives you a solid front line, and the greatswords give you punch.

I personally prefer Handgunners to crossbows, because of the long rifle range and less reliance on needed 20 models for bonuses. Crossbows did just get buffed and are great against rend ignoring armies like nighthaunt.

The greatswords are like all elites, fantastic if they do not get charged first. I would use them in the great company and charge them in to hit first. 

Guard can be your preference, but sword and shield is hard to beat. Give the stately war banner general indomitable and you are a 3 + rerolling 1s. Really hard to shift. Halberds are my favorite, but mostly for the look and because I like rend.

With the general, if you only get the 2 choices, I would do banner on the ground, any weapons you want. Then make a mounted general with a shield for cavalry charges.

You can bring a battlemage, or replace him with more bodies, or an artillery piece.

I find this army is most effective as big blocks, and since you are a Brayherd player, you should be used to it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cerlin said:

Welcome to the Free Guild. I like all the models you listed. It can come down to preference. I think each model in the army is viable if used right.

I made a list then let me give you details.

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
- Shield & Lance
Freeguild General (100)
- Stately War Banner
Freeguild General On Griffon (260)
- Shield & Greathammer
Battlemage (120)

Battleline
30 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (300)
10 x Freeguild Greatswords (140)
30 x Freeguild Guard (240)
- Halberds and Shields

Total: 1260 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 14
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 98

This army has 1 great company, uses both generals in the general box, has a monster, and a little magic.

With the griffon using Armor of Meteoric Iron, you have a hard to shift centerpiece. The great company gives you a solid front line, and the greatswords give you punch.

I personally prefer Handgunners to crossbows, because of the long rifle range and less reliance on needed 20 models for bonuses. Crossbows did just get buffed and are great against rend ignoring armies like nighthaunt.

The greatswords are like all elites, fantastic if they do not get charged first. I would use them in the great company and charge them in to hit first. 

Guard can be your preference, but sword and shield is hard to beat. Give the stately war banner general indomitable and you are a 3 + rerolling 1s. Really hard to shift. Halberds are my favorite, but mostly for the look and because I like rend.

With the general, if you only get the 2 choices, I would do banner on the ground, any weapons you want. Then make a mounted general with a shield for cavalry charges.

You can bring a battlemage, or replace him with more bodies, or an artillery piece.

I find this army is most effective as big blocks, and since you are a Brayherd player, you should be used to it.  

Thanks for the detailed list and explanation! Unfortunately the tournament is 1250 points so this would put me just barely over. What would you suggest dropping to get under 1250? I assume one of the generals, and then maybe getting an endless spell or two for the leftover 90 points?

Edited by The_Yellow_Sign

1 hour ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Thanks for the detailed list and explanation! Unfortunately the tournament is 1250 points so this would put me just barely over. What would you suggest dropping to get under 1250? I assume one of the generals, and then maybe getting an endless spell or two for the leftover 90 points?

Easiest would be to drop a general.

Also 10 crossbows (but then you have the chance to lose your bonus quick.)

You could also drop the wizard for a warrior priest for a dispel.

Endless spells are good if you already have them. I am big fan of more wounds. So more guard, or 10 archers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

My recommendation would be to drop the Battlemage and pick up a Knight-Azyros if you aren't going to be playing Places of Arcane Power or Relocation Orb. You lose the ability to unbind, but instead you get a pretty neat re-roll 1's to hit within 10" of the Azyros. Makes him a very interesting choice to not only buff your Crossbows, but buff your melee damage dealers as well.

I wouldn't be dropping any of the Crossbows, in general the shooters are best in 30's or 10's. 20's it's just far too easy to drop a model and lose your larger unit bonus.

Another thing you could consider but you lose some of the coolness, is dropping the 10x Greatswords. If you downgraded them to say 10x Handgunners or Archers, you've got 30 points to play with. That means you can play around with a cheap endless spell, or potentially upgrade the Battlemage to a Knight-Incantor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

Anyone else think it’s weird that they didn’t make a hero option for one on demigryph? The hero on horse is obsolete now that knights are gone.

they could easily say the captain made from the kits bits could represent a hq choice..

I thought of that too. Id just love a 3rd option if they ever bring humans back in a Free Cities tome.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

Anyone else think it’s weird that they didn’t make a hero option for one on demigryph? The hero on horse is obsolete now that knights are gone.

they could easily say the captain made from the kits bits could represent a hq choice..

So for the first part, well, there's no Hero on Demigryph model. This has been a thing since 8th edition when they introduced Demigryph Knights that you couldn't put a leader onto a Demigryph. As a rule of thumb for GW, no models, no rules. That being said, I do hope GW takes the idea on board whenever we get a tome, because it'd be a simple conversion.

As for the latter, the Hero on Horse isn't obsolete either. First off, the model exists in the plastic kit. So there was no way they'd be retiring it without retiring that kit. Secondly, there are still horses in the faction with the Outriders and Pistoliers. The horse mounted knightly orders may be gone, but the horses still remain.

So I think he's still a valid option for us to have. There are certainly stranger options available in other factions IMO.

4 hours ago, someone2040 said:

So for the first part, well, there's no Hero on Demigryph model. This has been a thing since 8th edition when they introduced Demigryph Knights that you couldn't put a leader onto a Demigryph. As a rule of thumb for GW, no models, no rules. That being said, I do hope GW takes the idea on board whenever we get a tome, because it'd be a simple conversion.

As for the latter, the Hero on Horse isn't obsolete either. First off, the model exists in the plastic kit. So there was no way they'd be retiring it without retiring that kit. Secondly, there are still horses in the faction with the Outriders and Pistoliers. The horse mounted knightly orders may be gone, but the horses still remain.

So I think he's still a valid option for us to have. There are certainly stranger options available in other factions IMO.

I’m just pointing out that they could easily say one of the guys could be made as a general, simply by stating it and giving the optional rules.

I’m fully aware they still have horses and their no model no rules policy.

it would be nice for them to have been given the option to run a hero with a unit of the chicken knights.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...