AoS 2 - Free Peoples Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 8/30/2019 at 11:31 PM, Maturin said:

Indeed, and thanks to you, I've discovered that crossbowmen could actually be very potent! Have you tried with an Hurricanum sandwiched between your blocs ?

I did a 1000 points game against FEC, he ruined me because :

- I started way too close, his spell granting him extra move made him make a 28 move, he blasted me with his screams to oblivion and in CQB.

- I forgot that as an order general, my general has a Battleshock immunity.

- I could not put my 2 blocs of Handgunners close enough to each other ( but then again who cares because I didn't have the Great company rules).

BUT the stand and shout abilty made him dearly pay his charge, and the hurricanum was a great help toward that.

I just purchased a Hurricanum to build and paint - I really want to take it, but I'm still having nightmares from painting the Luminark of Hysh 🤣

Glad that my rules question could help you out. I thought that it was too cheesy, the ability to use Stand and Shoot and do a Great Company support in your opponents turn, essentially getting to shoot twice with multiple units, but it really isn't that cheesy as Stand and Shoot can only be used once per turn.

With your FEC game, misplays especially with positioning really hurts us Free Peoples. Setting up Great Companies incorrectly, sitting outside buff ranges and getting caught out in flanks really really hurts us, we are so squishy.

On 9/2/2019 at 6:27 PM, Slackest_Dorf said:

I just purchased a Hurricanum to build and paint - I really want to take it, but I'm still having nightmares from painting the Luminark of Hysh 🤣

Glad that my rules question could help you out. I thought that it was too cheesy, the ability to use Stand and Shoot and do a Great Company support in your opponents turn, essentially getting to shoot twice with multiple units, but it really isn't that cheesy as Stand and Shoot can only be used once per turn.

With your FEC game, misplays especially with positioning really hurts us Free Peoples. Setting up Great Companies incorrectly, sitting outside buff ranges and getting caught out in flanks really really hurts us, we are so squishy.

I recently built and painted a Hurricanum and it is indeed painful. 

What i've found useful in using it, is to have a 10 man guard unit surround it to spot 1" range models charging it. 4+ save and only 11 wounds is not great. You also need it close to the front as the portents ability has a maximum range of 10". 

I play death a lot these days until we have a tome but played Ironjawz recently with the following 1300pt list:

Freeguild General on a Griffin (280)

Battlemage - Bright (110)

Crossbowmen x 30 (300)

Handgunner x 20 (200)

Guard x 20 (160)

Guard x 20 (160)

Guard x 10 (80)

Total: 1290pts

I played against 2 big blocks of brutes, a warchanter, warboss on foot, 3 gore gruntaz and the cabbage.

I managed to table to IJ but couldn't get on objectives because he basically over ran them and did enough to get the points to hold them for 3/5 turns. My opponent was smart and kept his brutes in big units so as he got through the guards shielding the handgunners he was able to pile them around and stop my shooty boys pot shotting his cabbage. 

What i have learnt is to kill the warchanter ASAP and stop it buffing the brutes as it makes the guard far more resilient. The extra turn of shooting with the gunners before they got minced would have won me the game. 

• Like 1

With the new release of the Snarlfang wolverider warband I started to think about using the wolves as substitute for demigryphs and mounting them with knights instead of grots. Rulewise it shouldn't be much of a problem, but do you think the size could fit? Demigryphs themselves aren't that big so i guess the new wolves with saddles could be a better looking and fitting option than fenrisian wolves?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Hightower said:

With the new release of the Snarlfang wolverider warband I started to think about using the wolves as substitute for demigryphs and mounting them with knights instead of grots. Rulewise it shouldn't be much of a problem, but do you think the size could fit? Demigryphs themselves aren't that big so i guess the new wolves with saddles could be a better looking and fitting option than fenrisian wolves?

Not only the size will make it hard to pull off but the fact that warbabd models are push to fit. The goblin ang wolf are probably integrated to each other.

On 9/15/2019 at 9:49 AM, Lord Hightower said:

I'm getting the feeling that with the new Cities 'tome there will be other cavalry that'll fit better, rules-wise than the demigryphs.

On 9/15/2019 at 1:49 AM, Lord Hightower said:

It might take a little bit of work but that would be a awesome conversion!

• 2 weeks later...

I would say it would be best to use Thunderwolf Cavalry, those seem a lot bigger.

Does anyone know whether we still can use our batallion? I know it's not that good, but I want to know our options.

General 100 pts

Guard 80 pts

Guard 80 pts

Guard 80 pts

Gunners 100 pts

Gunners 100 pts

Gunners 100 pts

Greatswords 160 pts

Demis 180 pts

Pistoleers 100 pts

Outriders 100 pts 

Regiment 210 pts

1390 for the minimal amount, which is the same as it ever was. Rolling 1 makes a unit immune, +1 bravery, +1 to hit if units are close to one another is nice though. You'll still want larger amounts of guards and a hurricanum, and you'll have just 90 points left (probably for another battlemage, as Emerald Lifeswarm isn't that useful here). With Tempest's eye, you can move up the field a bit more, with Hammerhal you'll get a ton of command points.

Thanks for the answer but the 40k wolves are too much "robot" for me - and I am not skilled enough to craft whole legs ^^

Regarding the vattalion- thats a good question. The rules of the battalion do not work with the now eliminated Free People Keyword and the names of the Units are still the same - so i guess yes, using the battalion could still be possible and worth a thought (especially for hammerhal-armys)

48 minutes ago, Lord Hightower said:

Thanks for the answer but the 40k wolves are too much "robot" for me - and I am not skilled enough to craft whole legs ^^

Regarding the vattalion- thats a good question. The rules of the battalion do not work with the now eliminated Free People Keyword and the names of the Units are still the same - so i guess yes, using the battalion could still be possible and worth a thought (especially for hammerhal-armys)

Thanks! I don't know which armies would be the best, but legality was my primary concern. I can't quite wrap my head around all the rules yet, because it's too fractured. 

As for the wolves, there's a leg, a side of the head and a bit on the jaw, which would be finicky in total. I still think regular wolves (which seem to be the size of Fenris wolves) will be on the small side for horses, which is tiny compared to demigryphs. The Hobbit Fell Wargs are a bit bigger, I think, and look quite fighty (they used to be available seperately, but now they are not). I have also looked into making Demigryphs from other things. I currently am planning to use one gryph charger, and then split the double head from the griffin over two demigryphs, and use those heads on General on Horse horses. These are quite bulky horses, and their upright posture makes them look even bigger. Because I started out with a Ghur project, I made the other demis with hooved rear legs, so I have a few claws left to put on the horses' front legs.

If you want it slimmer, you can use Tsaangor heads on wood elf or Bretonnian horses, trying to mesh gryph hounds and horses is less succesful.