AoS 2 - Free Peoples Discussion

Chris Tomlin

5 hours ago, Kamose said:

You're forgetting something. The Freeguild are all really scrappy little guys. Scrappiness equals +1 to their save.

Never forget, every Freeguild soldier is someone Sigmar DIDN'T have to save while every Stormcast Eternal is someone who'd be dead if Sigmar had not saved them. 😤

My new favorite quote

Guys, my resolve is weak. I purchased an Excelsior Warpriest and High elf griffin. If I can convince myself to purchase a set of Vanguard Palladors, I'll have my lineup of griffins complete (in order of decreasing size):

1. General on Deathclaw
  2. Battlemage on HE griffin (I think it suits him more)
  3. Gryph Charger (still debating this purchase with myself)
  4. Demigryph conversion with spare Deathclaw head modelled after the Forgeworld demigryph
  5. Demigryphs
  6. Demygryph conversion with the spare double heads from Deathclaw and heavily greenstuffed Outrider horses
  7. Quartergryphs with Tsaangor heads
  8. Quartergryphs with gryph hound front quarters
  9. Gryph hound
  10. Silver tower Gryph hound
  11. Tiny griffin from General set.

Now to make a list where I can all field them and not lose horribly

General 280

Battlemage 240

Demigryph from Gryph charger 130

Demigryph from spare heads 130

Demigryphs 130

Outriders 120

Pistoleers 120

Gryph hounds 140 (Forgoing the Excelsior Warpriests, I could stick the two tinies in this set)

1290 points and quite horrible.

I could convert my general to be a quartergryph as well, and it will still not be very good.

7 hours ago, Kamose said:

You're forgetting something. The Freeguild are all really scrappy little guys. Scrappiness equals +1 to their save.

Never forget, every Freeguild soldier is someone Sigmar DIDN'T have to save while every Stormcast Eternal is someone who'd be dead if Sigmar had not saved them. 😤

Actualy someone who fled to Azyr for Sigmar's protection instead of fighting Chaos :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikethefish said:

In the Mortal Realms?  Nope.

The corpses for all the undead horses have to come from somewhere, but quartergryphs are cool too, I make my cav into those (basically just horses with clawed front legs and bird's heads). Riding griffins or similar is a bit of a theme that I would not mind getting expanded for the Free People (oh, and I made tiny riders for a gryph hound, the tiny emire griffin and the gryph hound from the Silver Tower set)

Edited by zilberfrid

6 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

The corpses for all the undead horses have to come from somewhere, but quartergryphs are cool too, I make my cav into those (basically just horses with clawed front legs and bird's heads). Riding griffins or similar is a bit of a theme that I would not mind getting expanded for the Free People (oh, and I made tiny riders for a gryph hound, the tiny emire griffin and the gryph hound from the Silver Tower set)

Exactly

horses are the perfect mounts for a regular human faction's low 'tier' cavalry (especially a potenital battle line one) as it helps make the fantastical stuff look more fantastical (just like regular humans help make super humans or similar look super). aditionally they are already semented in the lore by the presence of nighthaunt undead horses, and horses are no doubt cheaper then fantastical mounts (or they wouldn't be used, which the lore is clear they are) and thus make the perfect mass cavalry mount.

17 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

horses are the perfect mounts for a regular human faction's low 'tier' cavalry (especially a potenital battle line one) as it helps make the fantastical stuff look more fantastical (just like regular humans help make super humans or similar look super). aditionally they are already semented in the lore by the presence of nighthaunt undead horses, and horses are no doubt cheaper then fantastical mounts (or they wouldn't be used, which the lore is clear they are) and thus make the perfect mass cavalry mount.

Also black knights

Yeah no one likes horses - except Chaos and the Undead and Daughters of Khaine. 

Honestly horses work, even in a high fantasy setting. Griffins might be a nice elite mount, but they are likely a paint to feed (meat eaters) on the road; a pain to keep and might not be as versatile and suited to things like haulage and such. Heck horses might even out-distance them on a long ride (though even they have their limits - though many a game and book might otherwise treat them as a source of infinite travel). 

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Yeah no one likes horses - except Chaos and the Undead and Daughters of Khaine. 

Honestly horses work, even in a high fantasy setting. Griffins might be a nice elite mount, but they are likely a paint to feed (meat eaters) on the road; a pain to keep and might not be as versatile and suited to things like haulage and such. Heck horses might even out-distance them on a long ride (though even they have their limits - though many a game and book might otherwise treat them as a source of infinite travel). 

We have horses in

Order:

Luminark, Hurricanum, Pistoleers, Outriders, Dark riders, Doomfire Warlock, Scourgerunner Chariot (this  has a non-horse variant buildable with the set), 

Death

Dreadblade harrows, Black knights, Blood knights, Reikenor,  Hexwraiths, Vampire lord, Coven throne, Black coach, Wight king,  endless spell

Chaos

Chaos knights, Chaos marauder Horsemen, Harbinger of decay,  Chaos Chariot  (this  has a non-horse variant buildable with the set)(varanguard and Lord on Demonic mount are not really horses)

Those are all somewhat old kits except for the Death ones, but still, quite another culling to dump them  (21 warscrolls if I have counted and looked them up correctly). I'm on the fence, on one hand it would be madness, on the other hand it is Games Workshop we're talking about, they have killed off more than this at the beginning of the month, and they have killed off the general on horse before CoS.

It's also feasible for GW to remove everything but Death  (stating that they cling to old images of before their death or somesuch). That would "only" be an11 warscroll culling, and only on sets that  existed before AoS.

Edited by zilberfrid

I have purchased an old collection of a friend. So many options...

Empire batallion box*2 (8 knights, 20 guards, 10 crossbows/handguns, cannon/mortar.)

10 more guards

10 more gunners/crossbows

3 demis

Wizards

Luminarch/hurricanum

General

Volley gun/rocket battery

Warrior priest (hammer and shield)

2* citadel woods

1 piece of scenery I can't really place, but which will be a base for other scenery or just display

Gaming table.

Price was good. Really interested in seeing this play out. I'll have a ton of options when CoS comes out...

City with Freeguild and Wanderers? I have wildwoods and "wild riders", (as well as bretonnian archers to stand in for sisters of the watch)

City with Freeguild and dark elves? I have "dark riders" (from Wood elf or Bretonnian horses) as well as Drakespawn knights (from Empire knights), not to mention Corsairs with handbows and swords (converted from a few archers)

City with Freeguild and high elves? I have " shadow warriors" and would not mind adding more birds.

Can't really do a dwarf army though.

I can even just build them all and switch it about to have more ways to play 

Edited by zilberfrid

Hi guys, a few weeks ago I posted that I was thinking of making a competitivr debut, and I have indeed bought my ticket for one at the end of the month. So last week I played a match with a list that I'm planning on taking.  It worked well at nearly shooting my Khorne opponent off the board, but encouraged a very static play-style (not helped by the battleplan). 

My main thought is whether to replace the Hurricanium with a Luminark and then add in a unit of 10 Greatswords who arent tied to a Great Company that can follow my Griffin, Outriders and second General on Warhorse up the field to try and get some objectives. I think moving forwards I'd potentially invest in some demigryphs for this role but not wanting to add any further financial investment into this army until after the book. 

Here's my list (2000 points on the nose)
Freeguild General on Warhorse, General - Indomindable, Sigmarie Weapon and Shield, Stately war banner. 
Freeguild General on Warhorse. Sigmarite weapon and shield.
 Freeguild General on Griffin. Greathammer and shield. Artefact: Armour of Meteoric Iron.*
Celestial Hurricanium with Battlemage
1st Great Company:
20 Freeguild Guard with Swords and Shields
30 Crossbowmen
10 Handgunners (marksman with long-rifle)
2nd Great Company:
20 Freeguild Guard with Swords and shields. 
20 Handgunners (marksman with long-rifle)
Other: 
5 outriders

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 7:37 PM, Duck1986 said:

Hi guys, a few weeks ago I posted that I was thinking of making a competitivr debut, and I have indeed bought my ticket for one at the end of the month. So last week I played a match with a list that I'm planning on taking.  It worked well at nearly shooting my Khorne opponent off the board, but encouraged a very static play-style (not helped by the battleplan). 

My main thought is whether to replace the Hurricanium with a Luminark and then add in a unit of 10 Greatswords who arent tied to a Great Company that can follow my Griffin, Outriders and second General on Warhorse up the field to try and get some objectives. I think moving forwards I'd potentially invest in some demigryphs for this role but not wanting to add any further financial investment into this army until after the book. 

Here's my list (2000 points on the nose)
Freeguild General on Warhorse, General - Indomindable, Sigmarie Weapon and Shield, Stately war banner. 
 Freeguild General on Griffin. Greathammer and shield. Artefact: Armour of Meteoric Iron.*
Celestial Hurricanium with Battlemage
1st Great Company:
30 Crossbowmen
2nd Great Company:
Other: 
5 outriders

If you want more models on objectives, would it not be wise to get faster models than greatswords? Something like Gryph hounds, or simply Pistoleers or Outriders would get there a lot faster. Granted, it would also be less effective in getting models there (Aether wings would work better for that, but they, well. suck a bit).

If you take Outriders or Pistoleers, you can have them affected by "Hold the Line" of their general.

Freeguild General on Warhorse, General - Indomitable, Sigmarie Weapon and Shield, Stately war banner. 
Luminarch of Hyish with white battlemage
1st Great Company:
30 Crossbowmen
2nd Great Company:
Other: 
10 Outriders

5 Pistoleers 

The Pistoleers and Outriders would be your mobile force, and with a "hold the line" could wreck things up quite a bit. That general could have a pistol, to be able to attack as well when the rest is shooting.

Outriders have enough parts to make another group of cav into pistoleers, the repeater guns from your handgunners combined with some spare parts could turn another random cav unit into outriders.

Thanks for the suggestions @zilberfrid! Unfortunately I'm restricted for this tournament in a week to what I have spare that is not on my list (20 Greatswords, 2 cannons, a volley gun, rocket battery, battlemage, Knight-I cantor, 5x liberators and 5 x retributors) - but moving forward I agree some mote cavalry would be ideal for this role :)

Guess it depends on what goodies CoS drops for us :)

Edited by Duck1986

38 minutes ago, Duck1986 said:

Thanks for the suggestions @zilberfrid! Unfortunately I'm restricted for this tournament in a week to what I have spare that is not on my list (20 Greatswords, 2 cannons, a volley gun, rocket battery, battlemage, Knight-I cantor, 5x liberators and 5 x retributors) - but moving forward I agree some mote cavalry would be ideal for this role :)

Guess it depends on what goodies CoS drops for us :)

That's an interesting list. If you want to go crazy, you could do the following:

Heroes

• Freeguild General on Warhorse, General - Indomitable, Sigmarie Weapon and Shield, Stately war banner. 
  • Freeguild General on Warhorse. Sigmarite weapon and pistol. Writ of dominion
  • General on griffin Greathammer and shield

Units:

• 10 Greatswords
  • 10 Greatswords

Great Company:

• 40 Freeguild Guard with Swords and Shields
  • 30 Crossbowmen
  • 20 Handgunners (marksman with long-rifle)

(This only needs one general to be very scary

Other: 

• 10 handguns long rifle
  • 10 handguns long rifle
  • Cannon
  • Cannon

As soon as the enemy enters range, pop writ of dominion, and murderise everything with your ridiculously low wound rolls. If only it would also work for your cannon.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 4:11 PM, zilberfrid said:

I have purchased an old collection of a friend. So many options...

Empire batallion box*2 (8 knights, 20 guards, 10 crossbows/handguns, cannon/mortar.)

10 more guards

10 more gunners/crossbows

3 demis

Wizards

Luminarch/hurricanum

General

Volley gun/rocket battery

Warrior priest (hammer and shield)

2* citadel woods

1 piece of scenery I can't really place, but which will be a base for other scenery or just display

Gaming table.

Price was good. Really interested in seeing this play out. I'll have a ton of options when CoS comes out...

City with Freeguild and Wanderers? I have wildwoods and "wild riders", (as well as bretonnian archers to stand in for sisters of the watch)

City with Freeguild and dark elves? I have "dark riders" (from Wood elf or Bretonnian horses) as well as Drakespawn knights (from Empire knights), not to mention Corsairs with handbows and swords (converted from a few archers)

City with Freeguild and high elves? I have " shadow warriors" and would not mind adding more birds.

Can't really do a dwarf army though.

I can even just build them all and switch it about to have more ways to play 

Sisters of the thorn for the defensive spell or Frost Phoenix for the to wound debuff :)

Gday ladies and gents,

Just need some clarification on some rules as I may suspect I have been playing them wrong, possibly to my disadvantage.

Say I have a Great Company consisting of:

20x Freeguild Guard (Sword+Board)

10x Freeguild Handgunners

30x Freeguild Crossbowmen.

I’ve got them arrayed with Guard at the front, Handgunners directly behind the Guard and the Crossbows behind them, they are all wholly with 12” of each other for the Company Support.

If the enemy charges my front lines and is within 3” of the Handgunners they Stand and Shoot (as per the Piper rule).  As I read that Piper rule this means the Crossbows can also shoot the charging unit because they have a Piper and they are supporting a unit that also has a Piper.

Now, in addition to this can I now also shoot with the Crossbows by using the Great Company support to support the Swordsman. So, 60 crossbow and 10 handgun shots that have to go into the charging unit (Piper) and 60 more initiated by the  Great Company support for a total of 130 ranged shots in the enemy charge phase. It states that on the Piper and Great Companies rules that they can only be used once per turn, so no issues with activating both.

I haven’t been playing the rules this way as I thought it seemed too good. The Piper rule is the crux here, as it doesn’t state that the unit being charged is the only one that fires.

Thanks in advance (Free) peeps :)

Edited by Slackest_Dorf

7 hours ago, Slackest_Dorf said:

Gday ladies and gents,

Just need some clarification on some rules as I may suspect I have been playing them wrong, possibly to my disadvantage.

Say I have a Great Company consisting of:

20x Freeguild Guard (Sword+Board)

10x Freeguild Handgunners

30x Freeguild Crossbowmen.

I’ve got them arrayed with Guard at the front, Handgunners directly behind the Guard and the Crossbows behind them, they are all wholly with 12” of each other for the Company Support.

If the enemy charges my front lines and is within 3” of the Handgunners they Stand and Shoot (as per the Piper rule).  As I read that Piper rule this means the Crossbows can also shoot the charging unit because they have a Piper and they are supporting a unit that also has a Piper.

Now, in addition to this can I now also shoot with the Crossbows by using the Great Company support to support the Swordsman. So, 60 crossbow and 10 handgun shots that have to go into the charging unit (Piper) and 60 more initiated by the  Great Company support for a total of 130 ranged shots in the enemy charge phase. It states that on the Piper and Great Companies rules that they can only be used once per turn, so no issues with activating both.

I haven’t been playing the rules this way as I thought it seemed too good. The Piper rule is the crux here, as it doesn’t state that the unit being charged is the only one that fires.

Thanks in advance (Free) peeps :)

Everything seems to be fine, rule wise, so where is it you played to your disadvantage ?

Edited by Maturin

2 hours ago, Slackest_Dorf said:

I've only been shooting once when the above example has appeared in my games, so losing a lot of damage output.

Indeed, and thanks to you, I've discovered that crossbowmen could actually be very potent! Have you tried with an Hurricanum sandwiched between your blocs ?

I did a 1000 points game against FEC, he ruined me because :

- I started way too close, his spell granting him extra move made him make a 28 move, he blasted me with his screams to oblivion and in CQB.

- I forgot that as an order general, my general has a Battleshock immunity.

- I could not put my 2 blocs of Handgunners close enough to each other ( but then again who cares because I didn't have the Great company rules).

BUT the stand and shout abilty made him dearly pay his charge, and the hurricanum was a great help toward that.

Edited by Maturin
  • Like 1