AoS 2 - Free Peoples Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 minutes ago, Slackest_Dorf said:

I'm painting another 30x Crossbowmen and 30x Guard, that's enough to trigger painting PTSD for any Freeguild player :D 

I`m doing 40 Halberdiers at the moment. Cause why not? :D
Thinking of buying another 20 Greatswords to bump up my stock to 30. They might get useful in the near future ;)

4 minutes ago, Stulle said:

I`m doing 40 Halberdiers at the moment. Cause why not? :D
Thinking of buying another 20 Greatswords to bump up my stock to 30. They might get useful in the near future ;)

Nice one. 40x Halberdiers are a nasty prospect with that mass of attacks at -1 rend, great at pulling down monsters, if only they could get their save to 3+ like the Swordsmen 😪

Greatswords are fun (to play and paint), I've got a unit of 30, hard to get all of them in combat, I'd recommend a unit of 20 for two attacking ranks.

Edited by Slackest_Dorf

On 7/17/2019 at 10:56 AM, Entombet said:

I wonder how ppl would react to plaing against army made from perry minis and conversions.

Mixed feelings for me.

I like Perry and Warlord figs, find them better than many GW ones, but GW is ignoring Free People enough as it is, if they don't see sales, they'll neglect it even more. They also are noticably different. I have purchased a box of Landsknecht militia to use as crossbowmen, but decided against it.

I am a serial converter though, and sometimes do use nog GW parts, for instance female heads or a few swords on belts or variety in weapons. Every body is GW though.

1 minute ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

I have 20 greatswords but my current list with the points reductions allows for 30; not because 30 will all attack, but to absorb casualties.

If you have 20 from 2x10 boxes, you'll have bits to make it 30 with a few guard transformations. They are not as glorious, but it may be an option.

I'm too much of a perfectionist not to have all the same models, but not so much that I won't batch-paint the hell out of them!

I like diversity in my models, the sergeants of my guards may be based on Greatsword models, and the Greatsword Guild Champion could be a General on foot with a great weapon.

I am a serial converter though, having cut through over 50 Bretonnian Bowmen to date.

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

I like diversity in my models, the sergeants of my guards may be based on Greatsword models, and the Greatsword Guild Champion could be a General on foot with a great weapon.

I am a serial converter though, having cut through over 50 Bretonnian Bowmen to date.

Often I mix and match the guard kit with greatswords bits, like heads etc. Same with my gunners, they have some outrider heads because why not?
The greatsword kit is excellent.

7 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

Often I mix and match the guard kit with greatswords bits, like heads etc. Same with my gunners, they have some outrider heads because why not?
The greatsword kit is excellent.

I have one of them, and already had 10 greatswords made from all sorts of stuff, and think I'd sooner buy another than a guard set, the greatsword models are just so much better.

Looking at the Forgeword Mannan's blades they stand out as a lot better as well, the FW not being a complete unit, no spare parts and not as good looking for more money.

Edited by zilberfrid

I have one of them, and think I'd sooner buy another than a guard set, the greatsword models are just so much better.

Looking at the Forgeword Mannan's blades they stand out as a lot better as well, the FW not being a complete unit, no spare parts and not as good looking for more money.

If the retinue rules are significant, I can see myself buying them to accompany my general

If the retinue rules are significant, I can see myself buying them to accompany my general

I want to buy them as well, and might have, if FW had given them arms and, you know, actual blades. Now I need to break down a guard set so I can't make 20 swordsmen from them and a set of guards.

Until it is sold as a complete set, I'll use Greatsword bodies for them at best.

On 7/23/2019 at 9:53 AM, zilberfrid said:

They also are noticably different. I have purchased a box of Landsknecht militia to use as crossbowmen, but decided against it.

You mean Landsknecht missile troops? 

I was thinking of using them for all my ranged troops...

In what way are they different?  More detailed?
Is the size difference noticeable?

Could you post a pic?

30 minutes ago, iogaa said:

You mean Landsknecht missile troops? 

I was thinking of using them for all my ranged troops...

In what way are they different?  More detailed?
Is the size difference noticeable?

Could you post a pic?

I can't post a picture very soon, but will schedule it.

The Landsknecht Missile troops (that was the name, sorry) are a bit smaller in height, but especially slimmer than GW troops. I think GW scales every limb and body about 25% in broadness and hands about 50% over the true scale, and heads are comparatively bigger as well.

The following review is good:

https://www.chaosbunker.de/en/2018/08/21/review-warlord-games-pike-shotte-landsknecht-missile-troops/

There is a comparison in there, but that is for an older and smaller model GW troop I think.

Edited by zilberfrid

On 7/23/2019 at 3:53 AM, zilberfrid said:

Mixed feelings for me.

I like Perry and Warlord figs, find them better than many GW ones, but GW is ignoring Free People enough as it is, if they don't see sales, they'll neglect it even more. They also are noticably different. I have purchased a box of Landsknecht militia to use as crossbowmen, but decided against it.

I am a serial converter though, and sometimes do use nog GW parts, for instance female heads or a few swords on belts or variety in weapons. Every body is GW though.

I can say I am using a 95% warlord/perry/historicals army and my gaming group doesn't mind. They all agree with me that the state troops set looks like ass.

1 minute ago, Lord marcus said:

I can say I am using a 95% warlord/perry/historicals army and my gaming group doesn't mind. They all agree with me that the state troops set looks like ass.

Yeah, I have quite a few of second hand Freeguild Guards, and they are ugly, but they do scale better with sets that are good, like Greatswords. I have as much ex-bretonnians as I have guards, and will be phasing out the old guard piecemeal.

From the Crossbowmen/Handgunners, I like the rifles, I like the powder monkey, and that's the best I can say about them.

Every Freeguild set except the guards and crossbowmen is good, but they are 80% of what's on the table. That is a bit of an issue.

Just now, zilberfrid said:

Yeah, I have quite a few of second hand Freeguild Guards, and they are ugly, but they do scale better with sets that are good, like Greatswords. I have as much ex-bretonnians as I have guards, and will be phasing out the old guard piecemeal.

From the Crossbowmen/Handgunners, I like the rifles, I like the powder monkey, and that's the best I can say about them.

Every Freeguild set except the guards and crossbowmen is good, but they are 80% of what's on the table. That is a bit of an issue.

To be honest, my feelings are that the true scaling of the historical sets doesn't matter from table distance. Furthermore, it makes them look like actual humans in the midst of things like stormcast and orruk brutes

1 minute ago, Lord marcus said:

Tzeentch arcanite conversion, landsknect, stormcast, landsknect, black knight.

That should be a normal human then. I may be looking at stuff too closely, that's how I am painting them.

As it is, I still have enough Bretonnians to convert, though I may soon need a new stash, another 60 should do the job.

That should be a normal human then. I may be looking at stuff too closely, that's how I am painting them.

As it is, I still have enough Bretonnians to convert, though I may soon need a new stash, another 60 should do the job.

I understand. I'm going to be painting a bretonnian force for charity soon

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lord marcus said:

I understand. I'm going to be painting a bretonnian force for charity soon

As I just started Warhammer in May, that's a bit beyond my grasp at the moment, but that's a good charity action!

I have used Bretonnians for quite a few things, they've become Outriders (Knight of the Realm), Guard (a few of them I carved to be female and gave a Frostgrave female head), engineers, archers and handgunners. So far, I've cut through over 60 bowmen.

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

As I just started Warhammer in May, that's a bit beyond my grasp at the moment, but that's a good charity action!

I have used Bretonnians for quite a few things, they've become Outriders (Knight of the Realm), Guard (a few of them I carved to be female and gave a Frostgrave female head), engineers, archers and handgunners. So far, I've cut through over 60 bowmen.

the bowmen kit was the best kit in the damned range, especially after fireforge released thier plastic set of historical men-at-arms/sergeants