AoS 2 - Free Peoples Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 hours ago, Stulle said:

Make the Griffon your general, give him the Indomitable command trait and place him directly behind one line of guards. With his 2" range attacks he can attack over the guards without being hit by 1" range enemies. If positioned well he gives those guards +1 save. So they are on 3+ rerolling ones. Pretty tough
You even have an artefact left to choose. With the realm artefacts there are plenty good choices. Gryph-feather Charm, Lens of Refraction, Ghyrstrike, Ignax's Scales  to mention just a few.

If you go with two cannons you just have to take an engineer. There is no point in refusing those reroll of hits, 4+ isn`t as good. Just take the gunmaster and you have another 30" shot as well.

I'd love to take an engineer with the last 80 points but unfortunately I don't have space for him due to the 1-in-4 allies rule. :(

I really hope GW cleans Empire up a bit, I cannot believe that I can't take Witch Hunters, Warrior Priests, or any of the other iconic Empire units in what is essentially the Empire list (Freeguilds) without resorting to allies.

What they did to Beasts gives me hope. Skaven need the same treatment.

Just now, Sovereign said:

I'd love to take an engineer with the last 80 points but unfortunately I don't have space for him due to the 1-in-4 allies rule. :(

I really hope GW cleans Empire up a bit, I cannot believe that I can't take Witch Hunters, Warrior Priests, or any of the other iconic Empire units in what is essentially the Empire list (Freeguilds) without resorting to allies.

What they did to Beasts gives me hope. Skaven need the same treatment.

Indeed. I love my artillery and havig to pick between cannons and steam tanks whilst also having to think about magic resistance really limits the choices available.

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

Indeed. I love my artillery and havig to pick between cannons and steam tanks whilst also having to think about magic resistance really limits the choices available.

I'll gladly take artillery over magic if I need to, but I'd rather not have to be forced into such a restriction situation. 

Magic is for elves!

7 hours ago, divineauthority said:

I like the broken shackle artefact for a general on griffon. You can retreat and charge, and do it all while flying. Charge into a random mook screening unit, next turn retreat over the unit and then charge into squishy stuff behind!

I really like this idea, will try this in my next games. Thanks for this tip. Sounds fun :)

5 hours ago, Sovereign said:

Ahhh...damn, I forgot about this stupid rule. This one really sucks. For the FreeGuilds it is nearly impossible to include more than 2 allied units :(

I myself played my first small local tournament last weekend to great success. Scored second place with a similar list.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Free Peoples
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Luminark Of Hysh With White Battlemage (240)
- Allies
Freeguild General On Griffon (260)
- General
- Shield & Runesword
- Trait: Indomitable
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
Freeguild General On Griffon (260)
- Shield & Greathammer
Freeguild General (100)
- Stately War Banner

Battleline
20 x Freeguild Guard (160)
- Swords and Shields
30 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (300)
10 x Freeguild Archers (100)
20 x Freeguild Guard (160)
- Swords and Shields
30 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (300)
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)

Endless Spells
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 162

It is mainly inspired by the one  @Hugh Halligan is playing. (See this vid on Page 6 of this Thread, great insight!) Next time i will skip the Quicksilver Swords and gamble for a triumph. I never used them in the tournament and think the triumph on a 30 man block of XBow men will have far more effect.

The Tourny was really fun. I played Ironyaws in the first game on "The Better Part of Valour". Killed two mawcrusahers with the the crossbows only loosing one unit of guards in the process. The second game was on "Shifting Objectives" and really close and tense. In the end I wasn`t able to win against a DoK player. But even 80 witch aelves can be shred to pieces by Freeguild crossbow lines. The 3th game was "Focal Points" against a Legions of Nagash list. Luckily i was able to snipe his general turn 2 with my Luminark. After this the crossbows just had to perform their bloody work killing 60 zombies and  20 grave guards in one turn .

Here some Pics:

Spoiler

20181117-IMG_5089.jpg.cb6478f81e23cf8ba407ece057db6599.jpg

20181117-IMG_5121.jpg.2b34abec1ba5d3adb863634344ab35f1.jpg

20181117-IMG_5131.jpg.5514da5cb67dbd3bbe2ba5c15f5e29e7.jpg20181117-IMG_5171.jpg.8cd0ffa1693fab25d7200516574197fe.jpg

20181117-IMG_5200.jpg.578c3f0581c1767b94074fe7efc4da8c.jpg

20181117-IMG_5202.jpg.a30eba98398466998a3dfbb87f71efad.jpg20181117-IMG_5218.jpg.13271b3934f2f8cc5c00706b01d5ae7a.jpg

20181117-IMG_5225.jpg.23d85a402f1c0eca5099cf2ce229c0de.jpg

In the end i tabled two opponents and nearly tabled the DoK. In 3 games i killed 4300 points more than i lost. So the FreeGuilds can perform really well. With a little bit of luck here an there ;)

If you are interrested in a recap of the tournament by the DoK-player you can watch a video here. There you can hear his thoughts when facing the FreeGuilds.

Sooo...long post finished. I hope it was fun to read for at least some of you guys.
I wish you all the best of fun in your next games. For the glory of the Empire!

Edited by Stulle
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone use 3rd party models to represent state troops? At something like 140 dudes for my army, $25 for 10 ancient GW state troop models is a tough pill to swallow.

I ordered a box of Fireforge Games Foot Sergeants, because 48 models for $32 is a pretty good deal. I'm assuming they'll be slightly smaller than the GW state troops since it's 28mm vs 'heroic' scale but I imagine it should be fine.

I'm thinking a mix of Fireforge, GW, and maybe Warlord Games models would make a cool looking army, and much more affordable to boot.

For reference, here is a link to the box I ordered. Found an eBay store that imports and resells the stuff for cheaper than you can buy directly.

Devoted of Sigmar can be posted here too? In terms of fun play.

Allegiance: Devoted Of Sigmar - Mortal Realm: Chamon

LEADERS

War Altar Of Sigmar (250) - General - Command Trait : Strategic Genius - Artefact : Phoenix Stone

War Altar Of Sigmar (250) - Artefact : Hydroxskin Cloak

Warrior Priest (80) - Sigmarite Warhammer & Shield

Warrior Priest (80) - Sigmarite Warhammer & Shield

Witch Hunter (50) - Pistols & Blessed Rapier

Excelsior Warpriest (80)

UNITS

30 x Flagellants (240)

30 x Flagellants (240)

30 x Flagellants (240)

30 x Flagellants (240)

10 x Flagellants (80)

BATTALIONS

Pilgrimage of Wrath (140)

TOTAL: 1970/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 172

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Congratz said:

Do you think knights will return? always wondered why the was removed from AoS....

I absolutly hope so, but unfortunately i don`t think that the old models will return in a competitive way. I have 3 unbuild kits here and a Kurt Helborg model to lead them into battle. Looking forward to let them charge the enemy lines. It`s a pity that this will only happen in narrative play. :(

8 hours ago, Congratz said:

One army huge Free people battletome maybe? ;)

image.png

I saw a post on a Facebook group about this looks like we might be heading for an update!!!

I wonder if this will mean Ironweld Arsenal, devoted of Sigmar and Collegiate Arcane will no longer be considered allies?

Edited by Saxon

The idea is amazing. I can`t imagine all the fancy possibilities. But unfortunatly I don`t believe in an update which changes the alliances especially not one for free peoples only. You see, the other grand alliances were merged too:

image.png.0827b58d9538dfbe30502436ad3805d4.png

This list has much more fire in it than just Free People. In my opinion this would be a far too big update just for christmas. Changing allegiances like this would be  something for summer to release a new Generals Handbook with it. They clearly have to change point values alongside. Also all the factions you can ally would change and some would even disappear. I can`t see this without a new Handbook.

As much as this hurts me, but i think they just got some needed order into their shop to make it more easy to navigate. That`s all. :(

21 minutes ago, Saxon said:

As it stands we just don't have an army that has enough monsters/big things to play certain scenarios. Would be a nice change.

Surely GW will never discard it's humans? 

I`m totally on your side. These would be really nice changes. But i just don`t think that GW will do it like this. See the Free People listing,  the Ironweld Arsenal is now completely in. Even the Gyrocopter, dwarfen cannons and the Cogsmith. This makes no sense to me.

GW will never discard it`s humans. That`s for sure. But they won`t keep the old models either. They are labeled with Karl Franz all over. This is no longer very fluffy. In my opinion there will be  a new human release as a complete new faction in the future. But not this or next year. It will be something big, like Soulwars. With some lore leading into it and a really huge release alongside a new Generals Handbook. Something titled like "Rise of the Free Cities" or something. Maybe even something like AoS 3.0. Would be reasonable for the return of the humans :D

3 minutes ago, Stulle said:

I`m totally on your side. These would be really nice changes. But i just don`t think that GW will do it like this. See the Free People listing,  the Ironweld Arsenal is now completely in. Even the Gyrocopter, dwarfen cannons and the Cogsmith. This makes no sense to me.

GW will never discard it`s humans. That`s for sure. But they won`t keep the old models either. They are labeled with Karl Franz all over. This is no longer very fluffy. In my opinion there will be  a new human release as a complete new faction in the future. But not this or next year. It will be something big, like Soulwars. With some lore leading into it and a really huge release alongside a new Generals Handbook. Something titled like "Rise of the Free Cities" or something. Maybe even something like AoS 3.0. Would be reasonable for the return of the humans :D

It's a bit annoying being nerfed. I mean I've dropped about $1500AUD on free guild models to build my army which is about 2500pts including models I bought that I don't use because they suck (or I don't use them well). 

Instead of building a huge army, I've started buying Legions of Nagash so I don't invest too much in an army that might be useless soon enough. 

I don`t see it that hard. I played Free People for nearly a year now and had a lot of fun painting the minis and playing games with them. I will also buy more models and extend the army even more. Bought a steamtank some days ago. The warscroll is ridiculously bad for the points but the model is gorgeous. :)
I think the fun i have now is enough to justify the money.

It`s a good thing if we get a new human faction, even if the the Free People get replaced by them. I think all the old models will still be valid to proxy some new units. Additionally, in narative games, you can always mix old and new models with some good fluff.

What I want to say is that the hobby consists of 3 parts. Besides gaming there is always painting and collecting. If the Free People get replaced by a new faction only the gaming part is lost (and this not even entirely). But in the same moment collecting comes in, because they`re all rarities now. :D

While it will likely not sit well with old school fans, I think any new AoS Order Humans are going to be far more "fantasy" and possibly "semi steampunk".  Not to the extent of KO, but things like Goggles. So they would be more in line with like Warcraft or Warmachine than Classic Warhammer.

We already have some examples.

BLPROCESSED-Spear-of-ShadowsCover.jpg

Plus GW probably doesn't like it when people just buy the (better looking imo) Perry Miniatures range (ironic of course since Perry were GW sculptors)! At least their late medieval dudes all wear SHOES!

GW gotta put on that AoS TM on their humans after all! Hard to do that when they're literally Medieval germans/italians.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

But those medieval German/Italians 

look so fantastically good.

why change it, they still fit into aos perfectly.

This is exactly what i think. The models are gorgeous with the light armor and much simple clothing. Also the horde style with many models on the table is somehow appealing to me. :)  I choosed them as my first army in february this year because they were the most best locming models of the whole GW AoS range. I was quit sad, to recognize(after understanding rules and battletomes) that my army is to be removed from the game in the future. But nevertheless i have a lot of fun with them and will have in the future. Even their allegiance abilities are the best in my opinion. Having large regiments of well trained, highly disciplined men fighting alongside and supporting each other is cool fluff and i like it alot. Also from a playing perspective.

My main hope is, that the new human faction will be mostly like the old Empire in WFB. With the same allegiance abillities as now plus good cavalry, magic and artillery. In the best case i can proxy new units with my free people models. That would be great :D

8 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Except the shoe issue.

I HATE the shoe issue one of the models has. Prefer me the look of the 6th edition infantry. 😤

But anyways GW really likes their TM stamps. After all outside of GW official places, it gets a bit hard to justify paying a lot for Empire/Free Guild when you can mix Perry (who used to make the Empire models) and Warlord for like....60% less money.

Much like Bretonnia. It's funny that Fireforge Games decided their FIRST kit would be the very Fantasy looking Teutonic Order, as if they were/are capitalizing on a certain fantasy market...

15 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

But those medieval German/Italians 

why change it, they still fit into aos perfectly.

Has it actually been explained in the AoS fluff why mankind has stayed on the same Renaissance/Landsknecht era level of technology and society for thousands of years? 

In the old setting, the Empire was slowly but clearly progressing scientifically. 

38 minutes ago, Esmer said:

Has it actually been explained in the AoS fluff why mankind has stayed on the same Renaissance/Landsknecht era level of technology and society for thousands of years?

Well technically only SOME parts of humanity looks like 1500's germans. Each realm has had their fair share of own cultures and cities than have risen or fallen during the Age of Chaos and Age of Sigmar. So it might be more like a 40k imperial guard thing where some guys have high tech stealth suits while other people are gladiators with chainswords (Remus represent!).  Also something-something KO don't share technology something-something....

I mean Nagash still hasn't figured out how to make archer skeletons again!☠️

I think it is both good but also bad that there are now way more options for humans given the context of AoS. On the plus side, you can have people who look like roman legionnaires fighting samurais. On the other hand, this makes it difficult for there to be a Non-SCE poster boys since it's not like 70% of all important events occur in one place (unlike WFB) . And I think GW's marketing team doesn't really want Free Guild to be that poster boy.

I mean come on, I can get Start Collecting Greenskinz (who dont even have Allegiance abilities) but Start Collecting Free Peoples doesn't exist.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Esmer said:

In the old setting, the Empire was slowly but clearly progressing scientifically. 

It’s a better way of ruling them.

Unknown to the human rights man-things should have and not able to read or write (some to maybe many), it’ll be much easier to rule over them. They will always think your choice has a meaning.

also their probaly somewhat of slaves to the stormcast.

luckily johann will soon learn the truth, thanks to the only true chaos god,

“the horned Rat”