AoS 2 - Free Peoples Discussion

Chris Tomlin

22 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

From the Crossbowmen/Handgunners, I like the rifles, I like the powder monkey, and that's the best I can say about them.

Powder Monkey is life!  Powder Monkey forever!!! 🐒

The Guard and Crossbow/Handgun kits are showing their age. Luckily the Guard is from a time that GW models were very easy to convert.

The Guard also represent regular townspeople and militia so I mix lots of different models in my units. Why not throw some aelves and dwarves and halflings in there for variety?

As for the Crossbows/Handguns, I prefer the Archer models so even if they discontinue the Archers mine will just be "counts as" crossbows.

20 minutes ago, Kamose said:

Powder Monkey is life!  Powder Monkey forever!!! 🐒

The Guard and Crossbow/Handgun kits are showing their age. Luckily the Guard is from a time that GW models were very easy to convert.

The Guard also represent regular townspeople and militia so I mix lots of different models in my units. Why not throw some aelves and dwarves and halflings in there for variety?

As for the Crossbows/Handguns, I prefer the Archer models so even if they discontinue the Archers mine will just be "counts as" crossbows.

I really like the hunter with the pheasant and the orc casualty. Posing is quite varied too.

Maybe I should just buy them, arm them with one handed hand weapons in their right hand and make them "counts as"militia, they seem perfect for that.

2 hours ago, Boytoy said:

I use archers for almost everything, they make excellent base bodies for poorer peasant soldiers

Well, I've made a list of armour vs saves to help myself converting, and archers are too lightly armoured for Guard, but I guess I easily make allowances for militia.

(List is

-, for bare skin or light clothing,

6+, for a helm with clothing, bits of chain, gambeson, leather or similar

5+, breastplate, demicuirass or good coverage metal armour

4+, at least demicuirass, mostly full plate

Heroes or veterans sometimes +1, shield as per warscroll)

1 hour ago, stus67 said:

I found an old witch hunter that I had laying around. Does anybody use this guy? If so then what for? His profile is pretty decent but he doesn't seem to do much.

He's also only 40 points. That's the same amount of points per wound as a unit of guards. It's a cheap hero, for instance for filling the requirement of a vanguard in ME, filling the last points, or similar.

If he had range, it would be a good wizard killer.

30 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Our archers seem gone forever. Not that they were good rules-wise, but I should have purchased a set to have the pheasant and downed orc. My self control to not buy more plastic before my current stack is gone did not do me good.

Wait until that list GW said they'd release before assuming models are gone. They're probably being rebased. And Archers were useful in a number of ways.

Also if anyone is wondering why they didn't have a cost increase, it could well have to do with them being a single option kit, in comparison to say Gunners.

Just now, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

Wait until that list GW said they'd release before assuming models are gone. They're probably being rebased. And Archers were useful in a number of ways.

Also if anyone is wondering why they didn't have a cost increase, it could well have to do with them being a single option kit, in comparison to say Gunners.

I guess I should wait a bit. Of all the freeguold warscrolls, that's he one in danger. Though the militia option for Guard is also long out of production.

Perhaps people just buy up kits now, before they can't get some of them anymore? 

Myself have just bought enough for a meeting engagement list for a club escalation league, so was nice to see the new tome revealed after I made the decision to go Free People. 

I doubt any Freeguild models bar maybe Finecast will go, and even then Finecast sticks around after new releases. The general on horse is marked the same, and it MUST stay, otherwise there won't be A: a general on horse kit, and B: a plastic general on foot, because if anything the general with the sculpted square base would go. I know the Wight King base has his foot in it and you need to cut around it, but that's because it's the only option (that isn't finecast). The general would have his foot up in the air without the correct base and I know GW wouldn't do that.

I'm not sure where this common line of thinking has come from; Archers being the most likely kit to go. If I recall, one person made the comparison that the kit didn't get a cost increase and then everyone lost their minds shouting it from the roof. The cannon didn't go up and that's sure as hell not going anywhere.

13 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

I doubt any Freeguild models bar maybe Finecast will go, and even then Finecast sticks around after new releases. The general on horse is marked the same, and it MUST stay, otherwise there won't be A: a general on horse kit, and B: a plastic general on foot, because if anything the general with the sculpted square base would go. I know the Wight King base has his foot in it and you need to cut around it, but that's because it's the only option (that isn't finecast). The general would have his foot up in the air without the correct base and I know GW wouldn't do that.

I'm not sure where this common line of thinking has come from; Archers being the most likely kit to go. If I recall, one person made the comparison that the kit didn't get a cost increase and then everyone lost their minds shouting it from the roof. The cannon didn't go up and that's sure as hell not going anywhere.

I think I have stated that, of all the Freeguild kits, the Archers are the only ones in danger (though I later thought about the militia option, with updated warscrolls, that could be removed). They are not fielded very often, and every other warscroll is essential (as well as recently featured). They the only kit bar single pose generals that can only make one configuration. 

- Outrider/pistoleers are mercenaries, would be shooting themselves in the foot if these were out of production that soon

- Demigryphs were explicitly mentioned in the reveal of CoS

- Greatswords are on the cover of CoS

- It seems like a Guard is on the cover (also, Freeguild can almost not do without, though a new and more poofy kit would be very welcome).

- Without Handgunners/Crossbows, Freeguild is gutted

- Without general on foot/horse, Freeguild is gutted (also, General on horse without banner can be in the mercenaries)

- General on Griffin is too awesome to remove (and in the display, curiously with a twoheaded griffin, which the warscroll currently does not provide)

17 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

I'm not even convinced that Archers are not commonly taken. People use them for their utility all the time.

You probably know better than me. I would really like them to return, perhaps with more enduring mobility or reserve deployment to give Freeguild a bit more options, or as the official militia loadout for guards.

My thoughts:

- Demis - stay, repack

- Greatswords  -stay, repack

- General kit - stay, repack

- Guards - stay, repack or replace with new kit (check the art on the book, does not look like the current one)

- Handgunners/Xbow - stay, repack or replace with new kit (to match the guards)

- Pistoliers / outriders - stay

- General on griffon - stay

- Archers... might be gone

Possible new unit:

- Knights

I'm wondering will they include half of Ironweld & Collegiate & Devoted to Freepeople

Edited by Verengard

1 hour ago, Verengard said:

My thoughts:

- Demis - stay, repack

- Greatswords  -stay, repack

- General kit - stay, repack

- Guards - stay, repack or replace with new kit (check the art on the book, does not look like the current one)

- Handgunners/Xbow - stay, repack or replace with new kit (to match the guards)

- Pistoliers / outriders - stay

- General on griffon - stay

- Archers... might be gone

Possible new unit:

- Knights

I'm wondering will they include half of Ironweld & Collegiate & Devoted to Freepeople

I don't think the Greatsword on the cover is 100% accurate to the models either. I don't recall a time when GW outright replaced an existing plastic battleline for AoS, in fact it's one of the recurring themes; that being a pre-existing plastic troops kit for a range of models to then be expanded, like Daughters of Khaine.

We won't get knights back; Demigryphs fulfill this role with a more fantastical approach, which AoS almost always has when making new models.

I don't know why Ironweld, Collegiate and Devoted would become Freepeoples when this isn't a Freepeoples book specifically. It's their book too.

GW are very much an: if it ain't broke, don't fix it, kind of company. Guard and Gunners are dated, but they're not exactly horrible models.

Edited by Knight Scáthach of Fimm

35 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

I don't think the Greatsword on the cover is 100% accurate to the models either. I don't recall a time when GW outright replaced an existing plastic battleline for AoS, in fact it's one of the recurring themes; that being a pre-existing plastic troops kit for a range of models to then be expanded, like Daughters of Khaine.

We won't get knights back; Demigryphs fulfill this role with a more fantastical approach, which AoS almost always has when making new models.

I don't know why Ironweld, Collegiate and Devoted would become Freepeoples when this isn't a Freepeoples book specifically. It's their book too.

GW are very much an: if it ain't broke, don't fix it, kind of company. Guard and Gunners are dated, but they're not exactly horrible models.

If I look at the entire line, the detail of the guards and gunners stands out as, well, not standing out. I really do hope they get new models.

I purchased an ebay General because of the risk that everything labelled Karl Franz will be replaced by new models, though I consider that risk low.

I do think knights will not return, or at least not on regular horses. I would like to see either a Deathclaw-sized griffin as a standalone behemoth or have riders on smaller griffins as a flying fast force to give a bit of mobility to the Freeguild.

Edited by zilberfrid

10 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Correct, but I don't know how much keyword interaction wil be there.

Presumably, they'll be keyworded to certain cities, as will Free peoples.  If you want heavy cav with free people's infantry, you may be restricted to certain cities, however.  At the moment I only have Aelves, a mix of High, dark and Wanderers, but this book is likely to entice me into both Free peoples and Duardin.  I am really looking forward to this book.

9 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

Presumably, they'll be keyworded to certain cities, as will Free peoples.  If you want heavy cav with free people's infantry, you may be restricted to certain cities, however.  At the moment I only have Aelves, a mix of High, dark and Wanderers, but this book is likely to entice me into both Free peoples and Duardin.  I am really looking forward to this book.

Cav with Free Peoples infantry is most relevant to the free peoples discussion...

It won't be a battletome for factions, but we'll still get new ways to play.

Quite interested in the new warscrolls though. And worried what units will leave. General on horse now stands as no longer available.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

Just now, zilberfrid said:

It won't be a battletome for factions, but we'll still get new ways to play.

Quite interested in the new warscrolls though. And worried what units will leave. General on horse now stands as no longer available.

He has to stick around cos he's in the mercenary detachment in the GHB, so I shouldn't worry too much.  Lots of units getting re-based, probably.  Wanderers have several metal heroes still and slightly nervous about them.  I'm hoping they'll stay on and be replaced with new models when the Wanderers battletome is released (he says confidently :)).