AoS 2 - Free Peoples Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, StapMyVitals said:

There's no problem combining the kits. If anything it makes the army look like it has more individual soldiers in it, which I enjoy. The oldest ones were made by the Perry twins and have slightly smaller weapons and hands than more modern kits, being more realistic in scale.

The middle kits are monopose and possibly the most boring in terms of what a line of them looks like. They have the puffiest clothes of the the three and again stick with the historical aesthetic, though with slightly bigger hands and weapons in line with Warhammer's fantasy scale.

The most modern kit is where they tried to move away from history and into the Empire being its own thing, with more expressive faces, extras like relics hanging off their belts, details like bare feet, and really gigantic weapons. Definitely my favourite of the three but I have all of them combined in my army and it really does look just fine.

Thanks, that is very helpful!

Greetings all!

I'm currently converting my way through a freeguild project that's designed not to win really but to just look cool on the table. 

The list currently is composed of

General on Griffon

General on foot (hand weapon/shield)

20 Guard (militia) 

30 Crossbow

10 Greatswords

I am at a loss when it comes to artefacts however. Should It be on the Griffon or the foot general? And what would even be worth taking?

On 7/17/2019 at 11:15 PM, BrocknerTheBear said:

Greetings all!

I'm currently converting my way through a freeguild project that's designed not to win really but to just look cool on the table. 

The list currently is composed of

General on Griffon

General on foot (hand weapon/shield)

20 Guard (militia) 

30 Crossbow

10 Greatswords

I am at a loss when it comes to artefacts however. Should It be on the Griffon or the foot general? And what would even be worth taking?

G'day Brockner!

Would love to see some images of your Freeguild project.

I'd recommend chucking a Stately War Banner on your General on Foot, all your foot soldiers will melt from battleshock considering all of them except the Greatswords are 5+ saves (die in droves) and have low bravery.

For artifacts I would recommend a few for the General on Griffon (GoG):

Ethereal Amulet (Shyish)- Ignore positive and negative save buffs. If your GoG has a shield he'll be a 3+ save, this will keep it at that no matter the rend characteristic of the enemies attacks.

Gryphfeather Charm (Ghur) - Subtract 1 from hit rolls that target this model. Add 1" to movement. Makes your Griffon harder to shoot and boosts him up to a 16" move.

Sword of Judgement (Ulgu) - If your GoG has a Sigmarite Runesword (5 attacks) give him this. for some fun. I like to take this on one of my GoGs because it scares the **** out of enemy heroes/monsters. Give the GoG +1 or +2 to hit and that D6 Mortal wounds will be for each 4+.

Pick one of your bearers weapons to be the Sword of Judgment. If the hit roll for an attack with that weapon against a Hero or Monster is a 6+, that attack inflicts D6 mortal wounds and the attack sequence ends (do not make a wound or save roll). 

Armour of Meteoric Iron (Free Peoples Allegiance) - Flat +1 save to the bearer.

Just some suggestions :)

Edited by Slackest_Dorf

Guys, our prayers have been heard. At the Warhammer AoS Open Day they announced that one of the next two battletomes will in fact be one for the FreePeople! 🤩:D🤩

image.png.0f9a97a9599d163ccdf3596bb5bb8a67.png

It will be something like the Firestorm allegiances in an own battletome. I can`t tell you how excited I am. Hopefully they don`t mess this up :)
Here the
link

This will be so much fun :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stulle said:

Guys, our prayers have been heard. At the Warhammer AoS Open Day they announced that one of the next two battletomes will in fact be one for the FreePeople! 🤩:D🤩

image.png.0f9a97a9599d163ccdf3596bb5bb8a67.png

It will be something like the Firestorm allegiances in an own battletome. I can`t tell you how excited I am. Hopefully they don`t mess this up :)
Here the
link

This will be so much fun :)

What a great day!

Now let's see what Endless Spells, terrain or possible new (or re-boxed) models.

Rubs hands in anticipation........................

I'm very keen to get this new book and see what our boys can do. I love my freeguild but they're very hard to play against tome armies. 

I note the warhammer blog mentions some ranges will be dropped. I wonder what they will drop from the empire range.

On 7/21/2019 at 1:14 AM, Saxon said:

I wonder what they will drop from the empire range.

Maybe there is a hint in the last price increase. What if we assume that everything which wasn`t increased gets removed? Why should they invest time in changing prices if they remove it shortly afterwards?

If I recall it correctly the archer and the generals on foot have not been increased. There is also the cannon/organ gun which strangely wasn`t increased in price. All the Devoted to Sigmar stuff stayed the same also.

Edited by Stulle

53 minutes ago, Stulle said:

Maybe there is a hint in the last price increase. What if we assume that everything which wasn`t increased gets removed? Why should they invest time in changing prices if they remove it shortly afterwards?

HUmmm GW just anounced point redution in Swordmasters, but the omes beeing made are sold in monopose resin kits of 5 with no command, so i wouldnt read much into it.

2 hours ago, Stulle said:

If I recall it correctly the archer and the generals on foot have not been increased. There is also the cannon/organ gun which strangely wasn`t increased in price. All the Devoted to Sigmar stuff stayed the same also.

I'm thinking that the resin Empire Captain (Freeguild Generals on Foot) are going to go.

Secretly though I would love a Freeguild Captain warscroll, a cheap buff character who can be outfitted to buff Freeguild Guard or our ranged units as a compliment to the Freeguild General.

I am exited about the new book, but also wary.

There is a lot of factions to cover, and they put Stormcast in them as well for some reason.

It might just be an extended reprint of the Firestorm things, which would give some new options in specific cities (which is quite a good idea), but I do not know what it gives to Freeguild Allegiance.

Having them so prominently on the cover does give hope for a few new heroes.

I really hope we'll get a few of the following without losing the Great Companies.

• Battalions cheaper than our Regiment
  • Heroes, especially a healer/unbinder native to the faction
  • A way to increase the rather low range of our units (for instance with a hero)
  • Ways to increase movement
  • Faction terrain
  • More mustaches, poofy pants and feathered caps

36 minutes ago, Slackest_Dorf said:

I'm thinking that the resin Empire Captain (Freeguild Generals on Foot) are going to go.

Secretly though I would love a Freeguild Captain warscroll, a cheap buff character who can be outfitted to buff Freeguild Guard or our ranged units as a compliment to the Freeguild General.

A lower point cost lower rank officer sure would make sense! I'd love one! Even if he's not going to be fielded, he'll be in display at home.

Other rank options would be: Colonel, Major, Luitenant. Sergeant is already used in the Guard.

7 hours ago, Stulle said:

However they did show a flagellant with the other Free City models so the Devoted are likely in the book. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I don't think they put Stormcast in the book, actually. I think Cities are just able to take Stormcast units, perhaps the same way Legions is able to take certain Nighthaunt units.

Yeah, most likely they allow for STORMCAST, SYLVANETH und KHARADRON units in Free City armies but won't reprint their war scrolls in the book. 

10 hours ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

I've always wanted to run a unit of Flagellants, but allies and the fact Greatswords outperformed them stopped me painting another 40 models. Considering how easy it is for us to field 100+ infantry painting more is a bit of an ask.

I'm painting another 30x Crossbowmen and 30x Guard, that's enough to trigger painting PTSD for any Freeguild player :D 

Edited by Slackest_Dorf
  • Like 1