AoS 2 - Free Peoples Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I'm pretty sure I'll be having Free Peoples fill in my Order slot (I play Tzeentch, Flesh Eaters and Beastclaws). What do you guys think of this list? It'll be exactly 2000 pts with the new General's Handbook

Allegiance: Free Peoples

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
- General
- Shield & Sigmarite Weapon
- Trait: Indomitable 
- Artefact: Writ of Dominion 
Freeguild General (100)
- Stately War Banner
Freeguild General on Griffon (280)
- Shield & Runesword

Battleline

(Great Company)
20 x Freeguild Guard (160)
- Swords and Shields
30 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (300)

(Great Company)
20 x Freeguild Guard (160)
- Swords and Shields
30 x Freeguild Greatswords (300)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 183

Would I miss the Hurricanum too much? The one without the battlemage dropped to 300 points. I could fit it in by removing a general and replacing one of the 30 man units by 10 handgunners. But would that be worth it?

Edited by Caspeur

12 hours ago, Not-not-kenny said:

Sure looks like it. Maybe that means there's a battletome in the not-too-distant future (highly unlikely, I now I know, but one can dream).

I wish. If by "not-too-distant" you mean in 2 years, then yeah I guess

In the recent "Warhammer Weekly" episode they mentioned that GW said that they are planning to have a battletome for each faction by the end of 2020. Usually @Vincent Venturellaand @Thomas Lyons know what they are talking about. I believe we`ll get a tome in 2020. Something like a Freecity battletome mixing legacy men, dwarfs and aelf. Will be a good year for us :D

Source:

Edited by Stulle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stulle said:

In the recent "Warhammer Weekly" episode they mentioned that GW said that they are planning to have a battletome for each faction by the end of 2020. Usually @Vincent Venturellaand @Thomas Lyons know what they are talking about. I believe we`ll get a tome in 2020. Something like a Freecity battletome mixing legacy men, dwarfs and aelf. Will be a good year for us :D

Source:

That's amazing! Exactly what I want to hear! Thank you for sharing with us!

10 hours ago, Stulle said:

Source:

A 3 hour+ video 😭, do you happen to have a timestamp?

19 hours ago, Caspeur said:

I wish. If by "not-too-distant" you mean in 2 years, then yeah I guess

where are you getting this "two years" nonsense? Beasts of Chaos and Skaven both got allegiance abilities in the GHB the same year their battletomes came out, like just a few months before.

5 minutes ago, Sieggi858 said:

where are you getting this "two years" nonsense? Beasts of Chaos and Skaven both got allegiance abilities in the GHB the same year their battletomes came out, like just a few months before.

Don't worry. Didn't mean to trigger you. I'm just trying to be realistic, is all. Standard humies aren't a priority at all atm, which is why I won't be expecting an update anytime soon.

30 minutes ago, Sieggi858 said:

Not really no.

the skaven allegiance where released in the ghb 2017.

basically the skaven part had to wait around 1 and a halve years

Edit: believe me, we might not couunt our grudges but the years we impatiently have to wait till the uprising begins.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

On 6/22/2019 at 10:50 PM, Sieggi858 said:

Same thing as with Skaven applies to BOC, they had some allegiance abilities since GHB 2017. Maybe the fact that only 2 GHB-Allegiance armies got their own Spell Lores means that other armies can hope for an update sooner that those 2, but I'll have hard time believing that GW are occupied making more elves, instead of giving Seraphon updated tome with endless spells and terrain.

You can never be sure what comes

Starting a new army and are 90% sure it will be a Free People. It will be made to 1k meeting engagement games, right now Iam looking at this list and would like feedback on it. 

Mortal Realm: Chamon

SPEARHEAD

Witch Hunter (40)- Pistol & Silver Greatsword- Allies

10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)

MAIN BODY

Freeguild General (100)-

General-

Command Trait : Indomitable  -

Stately War Banner-Warhorse- Artefact :  Hydroxskin Cloak

20 x Freeguild Guard (160)- Militia Weapons

20 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (200)

20 x Freeguild Guard (160)- Milita Weapons

REARGUARD

5 x Freeguild Outriders (120)

By all means, I'm not an experienced player so take my words with a pile of salt.

I have a prediction based on the following quote:

"This year’s General’s Handbook also contains allegiance abilities for several factions, with expanded rules for Ironjawz, Seraphon, Wanderers, Darkling Covens, Free Peoples, Slaves to Darkness and Dispossessed. If you’re looking to make the most of these forces in your games, the book is a must-have."

What I read here, is them saying that Ironjawz, Seraphon and Slaves to Darkness, will not get a 2.0 version this year. Despite already having an AoS battletome. This would mean that Sylvaneth (duh), Tzeentch, Beastclaw Raiders and Kharadron Overlords would get a 2.0 version this year.

Then there's the older factions, of which I think Aelves have rhe highest priority (simply because they seem to be mentioned the most by both GW and the community). Then Freepeepz, Ogors and Duardin will follow. Not sure in what order though. If the statement is true that they'll be getting a tome before the end of 2020, my hopes are that Aelves will release this fall, and Free peoples in spring 2020. 😊 We can only hope!

Starting a new army and are 90% sure it will be a Free People. It will be made to 1k meeting engagement games, right now Iam looking at this list and would like feedback on it.

Hihi,

i'm a 2k player, 

I got those millitia's too but they are not my first choice, i would go for sword and shield units. Also i don't think the witch hunter is worth it.

But if you got the funds or just like them you can always try them out!

On 6/24/2019 at 11:44 PM, Kristensen said:

Mortal Realm: Chamon

SPEARHEAD

Witch Hunter (40)- Pistol & Silver Greatsword- Allies

MAIN BODY

Freeguild General (100)-

General-

Command Trait : Indomitable  -

Stately War Banner-Warhorse- Artefact :  Hydroxskin Cloak

20 x Freeguild Guard (160)- Militia Weapons

20 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (200)

20 x Freeguild Guard (160)- Milita Weapons

REARGUARD

5 x Freeguild Outriders (120)

I always take crossbowmen in blocks of 30 or not at all. 1 casualty and the double shot ability is lost. Most armies have magic and some (Nurgle, Seraphon) have unlimited range and can pick your boys off and take away buffs. 

5 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I always take crossbowmen in blocks of 30 or not at all. 1 casualty and the double shot ability is lost. Most armies have magic and some (Nurgle, Seraphon) have unlimited range and can pick your boys off and take away buffs. 

In normal 2K game I can see the need, but in meeting engagement, the best you can do is 2x base unit size.

I am looking to begin a kitbash/forgeworld/converted army that will be kind of like the old Dogs of War and with the new mercenary companies this feels like a great time to start.

I really like the Gutstuffers (Maneaters fit this so perfectly and provide a very distinct look breaking from the normal Freeguild army also the Firebelly provides some dispelling and magic to the army) and would love to use them.

As such I was playing around with some 2k lists and was having trouble coming up with one that seemed effective:

-General (GEN) Writ and Indomitable

-General on Griffon

-General Stately Banner (essentially the “paymaster”)

-Great Company (40 sword guard, 30 crossbow, 30 crossbow)

-40 guard (was thinking militia weapons?)

-Firebelly

-Maneaters

-Burning Head (to fill up points)

Originally I was hoping to replace the second general with 2 Witch Hunters, but my unit:ally ratio wouldn’t allow for it.

Thoughts? I feel like this may not have enough chaff or enough fast units to reach across the board (griffon and maneaters being it)

Also I know the old Dogs used pikes a lot, but parry seemed too good to give up or is that incorrect and I can roll with spears?

Has anyone made the Regiment battalion work? I'm really tempted to give it a go. 

There's loads of tax units but with the +1 to hit buff from the battalion I feel like it's a permanent Hurricanum reaching your entire army, which seems like it would make up for it somewhat.

Yeah, I've played the Regiment at 2,000 and 3,000 points, both times against Sylvaneth. The 2k game was on quite a small table and I got hammered, while the 3k game was on a bigger one and ended up going really well for me. I'd say only bother if you're playing 2,500 points plus, because while you can technically fit it into 2,000 points, it's mostly tax at that level.

Basically it puts the Free People's existing army synergies and strengths into overdrive, making it so you're very rarely hitting on worse than a 3+ (and even then 3s are way less common than 2s) and surprisingly resistant to Battleshock. On the other hand it does nothing for your weaknesses, with not much rend and no source of mortal wounds, and no defence against same army-wide. This is why it's important to do in bigger games: so you can ally in a battlemage or similar. Any match-up you can see defensive play and volume of fire working well in, the Regiment will do even better. Any match-up you need mobility or magic and you're no better off than you were.

Now that Witch Hunters are 40 points, they have some use in Freepeoples, provided you're exactly 40 points under which one of my lists is. If it's 50 then command point, but otherwise he has some use, if anything just to be a generic command ability user. The Hero keyword is always useful, 30 points is probably taken up by this keyword alone. I would rather have an extra hero on the board than an endless spell.

Trying to get a hand on what to gather up to start free people's. I've got infantry covered. I'm mainly trying to decide on some form of artillery, mages, or otherwise.

Thoughts on getting started with free people's?

Also, why in the chaos realm can't we Ally in "knights of Order"

Edited by Lord marcus

Free People are really good at shooting but have no particular defense against magic or mortal wounds (aside from the numbers to take the hits) or way of causing mortal wounds. For this reason, Collegiate Arcane wizard allies paper over a lot more cracks than  either Ironweld Arsenal or Devoted of Sigmar. There's definitely something to be said for Knights-Incantor as allies, but if you like the human aesthetic, then grey or green wizards help the defensive capability of your army. Celestial Hurricanums are mortal wound machines, but cost some serious points.

10 hours ago, Lord marcus said:

The main problem is that Factions can only ally with units that have specific Keywords when they have an Allylist and Compendium units lost those Keywords years ago.

If you want to play the Knights of Order you have to play Order Allegiance instead of Free People Allegiance.

On 7/5/2019 at 9:04 AM, EMMachine said:

The main problem is that Factions can only ally with units that have specific Keywords when they have an Allylist and Compendium units lost those Keywords years ago.

If you want to play the Knights of Order you have to play Order Allegiance instead of Free People Allegiance.

He's asking why they made that decision, not what the decision was.

Basically the AoS team seem to get angry at the thought of people using old models and like to punish that behaviour wherever they can. 

On 7/5/2019 at 7:20 AM, Lord marcus said:

Trying to get a hand on what to gather up to start free people's. I've got infantry covered. I'm mainly trying to decide on some form of artillery, mages, or otherwise.

Thoughts on getting started with free people's?

For solid Allies I recommend:

The Luminark of Hysh - All Order units within 10" get a 6+ ward save against wounds and mortals. 30" laser beam that can one shot 5 wound characters (re-roll 1's if that Azyros is near the target). Has a Battlemage on it. +1 to Unbind for Wizards nearby.  Cheap.

Knight-Azyros - Can keep up with your Griffon General / Horse Generals. Re-roll hit rolls of 1's for friendly units that target an enemy unit within 10" of the Azyros. Once a battle Lantern that does D3 mortals to each unit with 8", D6 for Chaos plebs.

Battlemage - Grey, Jade or Amber variants. -1 hit spell (Grey) , healing / +6 ward save spell (Jade) and +1 wound for friendly unit (in melee) spell.