Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Tomlin

AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, DanielFM said:

Interesting, Scions won't be more reliable but if you take the risk it offers a bigger advantage?

Better than we have now.

We could see a change same as Nighthaunt : no more roll for deepstrike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Peegee said:

We could see a change same as Nighthaunt : no more roll for deepstrike.

I'd like that. They did away with the roll in 40k, nothing makes me more upset than a good unit never hitting the table because I can't roll a 3+. I really only ever used it on Lib tax units to throw onto objectives.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Peegee said:

We could see a change same as Nighthaunt : no more roll for deepstrike.

I think that would be very op. Combined with chronomatic coggs+ gavriel you only would need a charge of 4 with both.

7 with coggs, 6 with gavriel only. Imagine 4 fulminators comin from the back and charging in your forces+ Celestial vindicators.

if thats the case no heraldor is needed.

Edited by Erdemo86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Erdemo86 said:

I think that would be very op. Combined with chronomatic coggs+ gavriel you only would need a charge of 4 with both.

7 with coggs, 6 with gavriel only. Imagine 4 fulminators comin from the back and charging in your forces+ Celestial vindicators.

if thats the case no heraldor is needed.

Eh... is that so terrible? Cogs are not easy to get off, and Gavriel's ability requires a Command Point and him to be nearby (so he can't Scions, since it happens in the Hero Phase). If you want the charge reroll on top, that's another CP plus a character in range. 

Honestly? Deepkin can already do a version of this that's as strong or stronger with Eels. I'm not really worried about it becoming broken.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Requizen said:

Eh... is that so terrible? Cogs are not easy to get off, and Gavriel's ability requires a Command Point and him to be nearby (so he can't Scions, since it happens in the Hero Phase). If you want the charge reroll on top, that's another CP plus a character in range. 

Honestly? Deepkin can already do a version of this that's as strong or stronger with Eels. I'm not really worried about it becoming broken.

Oh i didnt knew that about idoneth. How do they do that?

why you have to use gavriels ability in the hero phase?

Once More, For Sigmar, Charge!: If you use this command ability, then until your next hero phase add 3 to charge rolls for friendly Stormcast Eternal units that are within 9" of this model at the start of the charge phase.

Edited by Erdemo86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Oh i didnt knew that about idoneth. How do they do that?

why you have to use gavriels ability in the hero phase?

Once More, For Sigmar, Charge!: If you use this command ability, then until your next hero phase add 3 to charge rolls for friendly Stormcast Eternal units that are within 9" of this model at the start of the charge phase.

I don't have a book so I can't say this for certain, but I'm pretty sure, unless otherwise stated in the Command Ability, you can only use Command Abilities in your Hero phase. Every instance of an Ability that can be used outside the Hero phase has directions on which phase it can be used in, at least as far as I have seen. I will correct this if other information is given that contradicts this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Draviticus said:

I don't have a book so I can't say this for certain, but I'm pretty sure, unless otherwise stated in the Command Ability, you can only use Command Abilities in your Hero phase. Every instance of an Ability that can be used outside the Hero phase has directions on which phase it can be used in, at least as far as I have seen. I will correct this if other information is given that contradicts this.

The free Core Rules say this. "A command ability will usually specify when it is used; if it does not, it is used in your hero phase."

14 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Oh i didnt knew that about idoneth. How do they do that?

why you have to use gavriels ability in the hero phase?

Once More, For Sigmar, Charge!: If you use this command ability, then until your next hero phase add 3 to charge rolls for friendly Stormcast Eternal units that are within 9" of this model at the start of the charge phase.

Just take a Soulscryer. He can bring 2 Deepkin units with him (so almost always the melee Eels). They set up 6" from battlefield edge, 9" away from enemies, and he has an ability to increase their charge distance by 3". So Eels + Hero = 2 units with 6" charges to make, chuck Cogs into the list for 4" charges.

Fulminators guaranteed Deep Striking would be good, but not insanely stronger than that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait,  are we still stuck with Scions of the storm?  has it been improved?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chord said:

Wait,  are we still stuck with Scions of the storm?  has it been improved?

-1 to hit the stormcast units the turn where they arrived with Scions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ledha said:

-1 to hit the stormcast units the turn where they arrived with Scions

Supposedly - let's not spread too much information until the actual reviews come out. That could be a Stormhost bonus, or an Artifact, or something else. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ledha said:

-1 to hit the stormcast units the turn where they arrived with Scions

Not bad,  maybe if the Knight Azyros is nearby you give them a +1 to hit to negate it.  Thus giving him back his ability he originally had in a slightly varied form. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Requizen said:

The free Core Rules say this. "A command ability will usually specify when it is used; if it does not, it is used in your hero phase."

Just take a Soulscryer. He can bring 2 Deepkin units with him (so almost always the melee Eels). They set up 6" from battlefield edge, 9" away from enemies, and he has an ability to increase their charge distance by 3". So Eels + Hero = 2 units with 6" charges to make, chuck Cogs into the list for 4" charges.

Fulminators guaranteed Deep Striking would be good, but not insanely stronger than that. 

Yeah the Idoneth can almost literally do everything well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chord said:

Yeah the Idoneth can almost literally do everything well.  

I wouldn't agree with that, but I haven't faced them much yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chord said:

Yeah the Idoneth can almost literally do everything well.  

Except shooting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

why you have to use gavriels ability in the hero phase?

The recently released FAQ states that if a command ability doesn't state which phase it's used on, then it can only be used in the hero phase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ShadowSwordmaster said:

Really like the Stormhost so far. I might use the Anvil one out of the two so far.

I love the named characters and am all painted up gold, so I'll be playing Hammers of Sigmar even if the abilities are terrible ?

Edited by Wired4War

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DanielFM said:

So much for hyping Knights Excelsior in the short stories then leaving them out ? (let's hope there are more than these ones).

I am quite sure the last one is knights Excelsior since that is the only stormhost with white armour. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Nighthaunts battle traits and allegiance got fully changed

Rumour is scions of the storm is same but Unit will be -1 to hit on turn it comes down, I hope it’s true cause that’s better and fluffy too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Skinnyboy said:

 

a lot of the faqs that came out yeasterday showed that you can use the same command ability more than once but not on the same units, so well see

Do you mean things like this:

Page 137 – Freeguild General on Griffon, Rousing Battle Cry Add: ‘The same unit cannot be picked to benefit from this command ability more than once in the same phase.’

I wonder if Vandas Hammerhand's ability that effects everyone will be limited like that.  The Orruk Megaboss has a similar ability to add to the attacks value and it made it through the FAQ for the Ironjaws battletome unscathed.

Edited by Nin Win
learned more so added the info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nin Win said:

Do you mean things like this:

Page 137 – Freeguild General on Griffon, Rousing Battle Cry Add: ‘The same unit cannot be picked to benefit from this command ability more than once in the same phase.’

I wonder if Vandas Hammerhand's ability that effects everyone will be limited like that.  The Orruk Megaboss has a similar ability to add to the attacks value and it made it through the FAQ for the Ironjaws battletome unscathed.

This pretty much 100% needs to happen just so Anvils doesn't become a super 'brake-check' list like what Skryre fyre used to be. Because as the rule is currently worded you could take 1 unit of 12 longstrikes, 15 liberators, a Castellant, a relictor with bless weapons and 3 min units of skinks as your whole list and have the longstrikes shoot 14 times in your first turn with 2 layers of chaff to block deepstriking.

The usual blah blah blah applies; what if they shoot you first, what if they can stop your CA, what if they can charge before you shoot, what if they have umbral spellportal, what if objectives, what if yadda, yadda, yadda. The point is that this list is eventually going to find someone who DOESN'T have the tools to stop it and that person is going to have literally their entire army killed in his opponents first hero phase.

Edited by Bellfree
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bellfree said:

This pretty much 100% needs to happen just so Anvils doesn't become a super 'brake-check' list like what Skryre fyre used to be. Because as the rule is currently worded you could take 1 unit of 12 longstrikes, 15 liberators, a Castellant, a relictor with bless weapons and 3 min units of skinks as your whole list and have the longstrikes shoot 14 times in your first turn with 2 layers of chaff to block deepstriking.

The usual blah blah blah applies; what if they shoot you first, what if they can stop your CA, what if they can charge before you shoot, what if they have umbral spellportal, what if objectives, what if yadda, yadda, yadda. The point is that this list is eventually going to find someone who DOESN'T have the tools to stop it and that person is going to have literally their entire army killed in his opponents first hero phase.

I think there's also probably an optimal build of this that doesn't skew as far as possible.  That's more resilient when people do have some of the yadda yadda stuff but still dominates when they don't.  I'm not good enough at list building to know what that will be, but I know that usually the best synergy builds are the ones that only go far enough to get the advantage without opening oneself up to hard counters any more than is absolutely necessary.  There's probably some way to reduce the vulnerability of the combo even further without diluting it too far.

Edited by Nin Win

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nin Win said:

I think there's also probably an optimal build of this that doesn't skew as far as possible.  That's more resilient when people do have some of the yadda yadda stuff but still dominates when they don't.  I'm not good enough at list building to know what that will be, but I know that usually the best synergy builds are the ones that only go far enough to get the advantage without opening oneself up to hard counters any more than is absolutely necessary.  There's probably some way to reduce the vulnerability of the combo even further without diluting it too far.

Which is why it needs to die RIGHT NOW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah its actually ridiculous. I think the whole 50points per command point might have been a mistake. Time will tell though I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is there not a maximum of cp you can have at a time? I think i heard something like that

Edited by Erdemo86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×