AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

How do we feel about endless spells for the Stormcast? I just bought the SC specific box and it only looks like the comet is worth taking regularly and out of the generic spells the life swarm seems helpful for my Evocators and line-infantry. Obviously everyone is wild about the Cogs for good reason. Are there any other "reliable in nearly every matchup" endless spells? What do you recomend? What has thoroughly let you down for the points everytime?

1 hour ago, Black Blade said:

Sorry but which unit are you claiming is overpowered for its cost?

Judging by the mock list he posted, I think it's very clearly Hurricane Raptors.

I personally haven't tried them out, but the amount of shots they can put down seems quite good for what the unit costs. I know that was just a quick example list to prove a point, but I'm guessing a lot of their value lies in being able to Scions them anywhere they need to be, correct? In that case you wouldn't be able to effectively use 10 units of them, lol. I could see multiple strike-units with an Azyros or two being quick effective!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

Friend and I have tested the vortex and it’s better than it looks on paper. It’s basically a hero sniper spell.

imo all the sce endless spells are good and worth their  points in individual situations. I wish I could fit them all in a list.

Oh yeah that hadn't even occurred to me but I will give that a shot I think against this Eidolon that's been giving me trouble thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

Judging by the mock list he posted, I think it's very clearly Hurricane Raptors.

I personally haven't tried them out, but the amount of shots they can put down seems quite good for what the unit costs. I know that was just a quick example list to prove a point, but I'm guessing a lot of their value lies in being able to Scions them anywhere they need to be, correct? In that case you wouldn't be able to effectively use 10 units of them, lol. I could see multiple strike-units with an Azyros or two being quick effective!

I just never see them played for some reason, probably from being spoiled for choice and being able to take Judicators as battleline. I can see them being useful but as far as being OP I'm going to have to test them out in some real matches. Everything I play lately is fast and flying it seems so I dont imagine them being too effective.

13 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

So, I got the Stormcasts from the Soul Wars Box lying around and they've kinda grown on me. 

Are there good (good is enough, doesn't have to be super duper good) Sacrosanct only lists that incorporate the full range of the new models?

Oh man some people complain the Sacrosanct units are too good, overshadowing liberators and paladins. Sequitors may be the best Battleline for SCE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rachmani said:

So, I got the Stormcasts from the Soul Wars Box lying around and they've kinda grown on me. 

Are there good (good is enough, doesn't have to be super duper good) Sacrosanct only lists that incorporate the full range of the new models?

I can’t make you a whole list but yes you can make a pretty awesome army with the soul wars models as a core. I’d get a box of seqs, a box of evos, a lord ordinator, and another ballista to start with.

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

Oh man some people complain the Sacrosanct units are too good, overshadowing liberators and paladins. Sequitors may be the best Battleline for SCE.

I love the Sacrosant from the Lore to the Rules but the points aren't where they should be, which feels weird because I still dont feel like they make Stormcast top of tier 1. I think it's more about internal balance is where its wrong. As it stands though point for point sacrosant bas better Liberators and Paladin equivalents. Only Judicators and Dracothian Guard seem to be left as the top units for their roles. 

10 hours ago, Black Blade said:

I love the Sacrosant from the Lore to the Rules but the points aren't where they should be, which feels weird because I still dont feel like they make Stormcast top of tier 1. I think it's more about internal balance is where its wrong. As it stands though point for point sacrosant bas better Liberators and Paladin equivalents. Only Judicators and Dracothian Guard seem to be left as the top units for their roles. 

The way they handled to old stuff was really up and down tbh. Stardrake got a bit weaker but that was balanced out by (stupidly OP) realm relics. Celestant prime got a lot better, palladors are now at the price they should have started at(though probably still about 20pts too expensive) Nothing will save Vanguard Hunters but being general stormcast battleline. Longstrikes got a side-grade, Hurricane crossbows went sort of diagonal? They're cheaper but their anti-charge rule doesn't stack and is a bit harder to use, but affects multiple units. Gryph hounds and Aetherwings don't matter. Lord Celestant got worse for the same points. Castellant is EVEN MORE baller than he was, relictor got a deserved nerf. Veritant is still trash. Knight heraldor got a side grade. Vexillor got better but they still don't really know what to do with him. Azyros got a significant buff, Venator got slightly worse due to AoS 2 rules, not anything wrong with the model itself. Judicators are still solid, Liberators are totally overshadowed by sequitors, paladins got somewhat worse for the same points while ALSO being overshadowed by evocators. Neave got nerfed for no real reason, but not a whole lot. Prosecutors are largely the same.

Dracoths actually got hosed, but not in a way that effects their standard battlefield role much. Desolators got nerfed even though no one has ever even BUILT one. Concussors got about half of the point drop they needed, fulminators got a bit worse due to the new breath attack(though being 2+ reroll against shooting is still powerful) and Tempestors got ANNHILATED. They got a worse breath attack AND their 'to hit' penalty ability got made laughably terrible, all for the same points cost.

TL:DR every old unit either got powercreeped on, nerfed, or is named Stardrake, Lord Castellant, Knight Azyros, Lord Meatloaf or Judicators.

• Like 2

I don't disagree with anything you said, but on the upside I think the core rules for unit choices are (in general) good, so a few points tweaks will go a long way. I still don't get why Paladins don't have a 3+, the design concept of Sequitors is bizarre and the Evocators' mortal wound ability is stupid (it is fine on the mounted ones imo).

There are a few hero choices that should just be discarded. Lord Veritants are one of them. 

7 hours ago, The World Tree said:

I don't disagree with anything you said, but on the upside I think the core rules for unit choices are (in general) good, so a few points tweaks will go a long way. I still don't get why Paladins don't have a 3+, the design concept of Sequitors is bizarre and the Evocators' mortal wound ability is stupid (it is fine on the mounted ones imo).

There are a few hero choices that should just be discarded. Lord Veritants are one of them. 

The ability should have been scaled up on the mounted ones to three dices per model to reflect the cost.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The World Tree said:

1 hour ago, Trayanee said:

The ability should have been scaled up on the mounted ones to three dices per model to reflect the cost.

I disagree on the Evocator issues you both mentioned. I think the mortal wound ability on them makes sense lore-wise and it wouldn't make sense to give them 3 dice mounted (they are still just one Evocator projecting electricity) but giving them a 3+ save would make sense to me, they still wouldn't be as good as fulminators because they don't have a shield to reroll ones. It would just represent the added defensive abilities of the Thundercat

Edited by Black Blade

10 hours ago, Bellfree said:

The way they handled to old stuff was really up and down tbh. Stardrake got a bit weaker but that was balanced out by (stupidly OP) realm relics. Celestant prime got a lot better, palladors are now at the price they should have started at(though probably still about 20pts too expensive) Nothing will save Vanguard Hunters but being general stormcast battleline. Longstrikes got a side-grade, Hurricane crossbows went sort of diagonal? They're cheaper but their anti-charge rule doesn't stack and is a bit harder to use, but affects multiple units. Gryph hounds and Aetherwings don't matter. Lord Celestant got worse for the same points. Castellant is EVEN MORE baller than he was, relictor got a deserved nerf. Veritant is still trash. Knight heraldor got a side grade. Vexillor got better but they still don't really know what to do with him. Azyros got a significant buff, Venator got slightly worse due to AoS 2 rules, not anything wrong with the model itself. Judicators are still solid, Liberators are totally overshadowed by sequitors, paladins got somewhat worse for the same points while ALSO being overshadowed by evocators. Neave got nerfed for no real reason, but not a whole lot. Prosecutors are largely the same.

Dracoths actually got hosed, but not in a way that effects their standard battlefield role much. Desolators got nerfed even though no one has ever even BUILT one. Concussors got about half of the point drop they needed, fulminators got a bit worse due to the new breath attack(though being 2+ reroll against shooting is still powerful) and Tempestors got ANNHILATED. They got a worse breath attack AND their 'to hit' penalty ability got made laughably terrible, all for the same points cost.

TL:DR every old unit either got powercreeped on, nerfed, or is named Stardrake, Lord Castellant, Knight Azyros, Lord Meatloaf or Judicators.

I think this is a pretty great summary and I enjoyed the read. On the Stardrake, while he's still a great pick and I love the model I really wish he worked differently. It doesn't make sense that his killing power is only viable against massed infantry I think his abilities need a rewrite. That and give everybody with a "Lord" in their title become 6 wounds standard and 8 mounted and I'll be a happy Stormcast general. 

1 hour ago, brimmstorm said:

I have played Evocators several times now and they have rocked every time. I would not change them at all. 

On foot yeah. If anything they might need a points bump to 220 otherwise if they stay at 200 retributors need to drop to 180. Both those things might need to happen anyway. Or better yet paladins get an extra attack across the board since the Evocators are lore-wise not supposed to be as killy but I dont want them Nerfed because I love my battle wizard force. 

Edited by Black Blade

Hey guys I was wondering if I could get some tips / feedback / advice for my upcoming first ever game of Age of Sigmar! I've joined an escalation league at a local shop near me and the first round is 750pts this is the line up I've decided to go with. I really have 0 experience so anything you think may be worth mentioning would be of great help.

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
Gavriel Sureheart (100)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields

Total: 740 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 5
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 42

Thursday my local store is holding a small 1000 point tournament. I just aquired a Stardrake and thought about bringing this list:

+++ 1000 punten madness (Age of Sigmar) +++

++ **Pitched Battle** 1,000 (Order - Stormcast Eternals) ++

+ Leader +

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake: 2. Keen-clawed, 4. Mirrorshield, 5. Staunch Defender, Celestine Hammer, General

Lord-Relictor

+ Battleline +

Liberators: 5 Liberators, Grandhammer, Warhammer and Shield

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 1000 Points - Vanguard

++ **Pitched Battle** (Order - Eldritch Council) ++

+ Leader +

Loremaster

++ Total: [1000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Would this work? Basically i need my LCoSD to go to town with reroll to hit and healing up each turn.

2 hours ago, Prexxus said:

Hey guys I was wondering if I could get some tips / feedback / advice for my upcoming first ever game of Age of Sigmar! I've joined an escalation league at a local shop near me and the first round is 750pts this is the line up I've decided to go with. I really have 0 experience so anything you think may be worth mentioning would be of great help.

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
Gavriel Sureheart (100)

Battleline
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields

Total: 740 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 5
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 42

So I take it you will be running the Hammers of Sigmar Stormhost? I could advise some though I'm still fairly new myself, what other units do you have at your disposal?

1 hour ago, Barnie25 said:

Thursday my local store is holding a small 1000 point tournament. I just aquired a Stardrake and thought about bringing this list:

+++ 1000 punten madness (Age of Sigmar) +++

++ **Pitched Battle** 1,000 (Order - Stormcast Eternals) ++

+ Leader +

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake: 2. Keen-clawed, 4. Mirrorshield, 5. Staunch Defender, Celestine Hammer, General

Lord-Relictor

+ Battleline +

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance: Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 1000 Points - Vanguard

++ **Pitched Battle** (Order - Eldritch Council) ++

+ Leader +

Loremaster

++ Total: [1000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Would this work? Basically i need my LCoSD to go to town with reroll to hit and healing up each turn.

I personally don't like it. At a 1k points a Stardrake feels like an all your eggs in one basket kinda thing which can really hurt you depending on the scenarios you'll be playing. It's a cool model but running him in anything less than a 2k point game is neither a wise nor fun decision in my opinion anyway. I'd rather (especially in this meta) drop him for a wizard of some type and buff up your liberators by combining them into a 10 man unit then taking either more shield guys or some Judicators preferably to threaten your opponents with. 

Edited by Black Blade
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Darkrich said:

Cool, I am mainly looking at Neave Blacktalon. She seems so much better than a standard Knight Zephyros

she is way better than a knight zephyros, but if you have access to Malign Sorcery Items, a Knight Zephyros is better than her by a very long shot