AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hello guys. I really wanna try this list to understand if comet + ballistas could help. What do u think??

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger(240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Staff of Focus
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Lithe-limbed
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 9x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 129

I have also a big blob of supertanky sequitors and evocators to take obj and do some stuffs.

6 hours ago, schwabbele said:

Evocators also under performed due to sub par dice rolls and the missing -1 rend is a thing on a 4+ save enemy :/ will try 5 sword 5 staff next time. 

Yeah, I've been on the receiving end of plenty of Gruntas in a Braggoth's Beast Hammer formation - it's not a fun time if you deploy too close the the enemy!

Also, while unlucky rolls really can't be helped,  the Grandstaves are just mathematically better against a 4+ save. If you already have them built, I would keep trotting them out and give em another chance!

19 hours ago, Bellfree said:

Castigators are sub-par in general, you can make , palladors are better than they were but still only 'good'.

Castigators are brilliant and provide flexibility (addtional rend and/or re roll 1s), not to mention 2 attacks each in combat. 9-12 are awesome in an anvils list or smaller units in other lists for objective camping/footslogging with sequitors

I'm putting together my Evocators on Dracolines and I'm a little disappointed that 1, the limit for grandstaves is 2 per 3 and not every model as designed may be chosen to have one. I already completed the model I intended to have a sword and staff but later found out he was one of the two that can be built with a grandstave. Finally, the way to have built him like one would have left him looking significantly different from the rest of the unit seeing as he would look a good deal more ornate as he needs to be built with most of the Lord Arcanum bits. In my opinion kits like this one and the Dracothian guard are harmed by forcing in the bits to make a leader out of one of the models which if you chose to  build it would make your unit under strength. They should use this "spare space" to have more customization options like alternate heads or weapons imho. 

17 hours ago, schwabbele said:

Haha, got my ass "whooped" yesterday from Ironjawz. got crushed 1st turn from 18 Gore Gruntas.

Was a interesting game, I realized how important proper deployment is :) , next time I face an alpha strike army I surely will try to deploy better and not rely too much on deep striking. 

Evocators also under performed due to sub par dice rolls and the missing -1 rend is a thing on a 4+ save enemy :/ will try 5 sword 5 staff next time. 

For sure give it a try but if you work out "the maths" Grandstaves are better in all non rerolling cases except 2+ saves. I'm wondering how they could even out the weapons without clearly overshadowing the other like the Grandstaves do now.  Maybe on the swords when rolling a natural 6 inflict one mortal wound seems to make it fair.

Edited by Black Blade

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:46 AM, Pestilens said:

Hello guys. I really wanna try this list to understand if comet + ballistas could help. What do u think??

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger(240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Staff of Focus
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Lithe-limbed
Lord-Castellant (100)
Lord-Ordinator (140)

Battleline
20 x Sequitors (400)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
10 x Evocators (400)
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)
Celestar Ballista (100)

Endless Spells
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 129

I have also a big blob of supertanky sequitors and evocators to take obj and do some stuffs.

Drop the comet, it's really not doing anything for you and you're not really gonna have spells to waste casting it.

15 hours ago, Black Blade said:

For sure give it a try but if you work out "the maths" Grandstaves are better in all non rerolling cases except 2+ saves. I'm wondering how they could even out the weapons without clearly overshadowing the other like the Grandstaves do now.  Maybe on the swords when rolling a natural 6 inflict one mortal wound seems to make it fair.

Gamewise it's a bit different. Against high armored targets the swords are more consistent damage. The problem when involving statistics so much is that it is easily forgotten it only matters for 1 or 2 combat rounds in which sometimes consistent damage is more valuable then raw mathematical damage output. My advise is to mix by using swords upfront and staves behind with the reach. 

• Like 2

Local tournament 1750 went 2-1 with this:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals - Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar

LEADERS

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240) - General - Command Trait : We Cannot Fail - Celestial Staves (Artefact) : Staff of Focus - Mount Trait : Savage Loyalty

Gavriel Sureheart (100)   - Artefact : God-forged Blade

Knight-Vexillor (120) - Pennant of the Stormbringer

UNITS

5 x Sequitors (120) -Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields - 3 x Stormsmite Greatmaces

5 x Sequitors (120) -Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields - 3 x Stormsmite Greatmaces

10 x Evocators (400) - 5 x Grandstaves - Lore of Invigoration : Celestial Blades

3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300) - 2 x Grandstaves - Lore of Invigoration : Speed of Lightning

BATTALIONS Cleansing Phalanx (120)

ENDLESS SPELLS Everblaze Comet (100)

TOTAL: 1740/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 92 LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 0/400 

Round 1 vs Slaanesh Battleplan: Starstrike

He has demon prince, herald on exalted chariot, herald on seeker chariot, 3 blobs of 20 daemonettes, 3 fiends of slaanesh, and one caster unit i forget.  I start with Gavriel and the unit of 10 evocators in the Celestial Realm.  I get to go first .  I use the staff of focus but fail to cast everblaze comet.   I get both evocators and Gav on a first turn charge using Gavriel's command ability twice into his caster and daemonettes, but i attack with the dracoline unit into the caster first fail to do much damage.   my 10 evocators take a pretty bad beating from the daemonettes.   On his turn he's able to kill the rest of the foot evocators and ties up most of my army while racking up depravity points.  The objective drops over by where my 2 units of(now mostly dead) evocators are.  I get everblaze comet off this time but it doesn't accomplish much other than getting him even more depravity points.  I kill his seekers and one herald and use Knight-Vexillor to send a unit of Sequitors over to the objective.  He summons back the units i killed and murders my sequitors on his turn.  It's very downhill from there and I nearly get tabled while he continues to summon more and more.  All of my units having multiple wounds really cranks his depravity points up.  I probably made a lot of mistakes this game.  I am pretty unfamiliar with Slaanesh and I'm not sure what I could have done differently.   

Round 2 vs Free Peoples Battleplan: Duality of Death  

He has a bunch of artillery including 2 hellstorm rocket launchers and a hellblaster volley cannon.  He also has some handgunners, 2 units of men at arms, 2 wizards, a banner guy, a gunmaster and some other stuff.  I start with Gavriel and the unit of 10 evocators in the Celestial Realm.  I get first turn and staff+comet goes off on like 7 units.  I don't roll great with it but it's still pretty devastating.  I drop Gav plus the evocators near the objective.  I get a huge charge roll with the 10 evocators(with command ability) and kill his hellblaster and another beside it with Celestial Lightning Arc.  I leave Gav on the objective to score 1 pont.  He kills 2 of the evos on dracoline with hellstorms but not much else.   I go and get my other 2 characters to the other objective and my sequitors start going in vs his men at arms.  They are no match for sequitors and go down quick.  Meanwhile both units of evocators are decimating his backline.  It isn't much of a contest from there.  

Round 3 vs Kharadron Overlords Battleplan: Knife to the Heart

He has an Aether-chemist, Lord Ordinator, Akranaut Frigate, 3 Gunhaulers, Grundstock Thunderers, a bunch of Arkanaut Company, and 3 Endrinriggers.   I again start with Gavriel and the unit of 10 evocators in the Celestial Realm.  He deploys everything up near the top-right objective other than the Endrinriggers who are closer to the other objective.  I deploy everything as close to him as i can except 1 unit of sequitors that deploy near the bottom objective.  He goes first and shoots Lord Arcanum off the table and 1 dracoline.  I go and Empower off on one of the sequitors from my battalion.  I drop Gav and the evocators and manage to also get the dracolines with Gav's command ability.  The foot evocators start smashing his chaff and the dracolines charge the Frigate.  the sequitors all make it in on charges and go to work on his chaff and gunhaulers.  Bomb racks do a little damage but it's not too bad.  The sequitors at the bottom objectve can't make their charge into the Endrinriggers.  I get the turn again and finish off his chaff and start attacking his characters.   The foot evocators deal 9 mortal wounds to his Akranaut Frigate with Celestial Lightning Arc and kill it.  The bottom sequitors charge and kill the Endrinriggers.  He goes and shoots down another dracoline and a few sequtors but the foot evocators are still at full strength.  Turn 3 he goes first and runs his gunhauler towards the other objective but he is too far away to contest it.  he does minimal damage otherwise.  I am able to claim both objectives on my turn and win.  

What I liked about this list:

Gavriel:  Obviously he's great and worth taking Hammers for all by himself.  Definitely an "unfun" unit though.

Evocators: Both on foot and dracoline were great.  The foot ones are better just because you get more dice for Celestial Lightning Arc, but the mobility of the dracolines lets you do some crazy things and they can benefit from Gavriel if you deploy carefully.  Being able to start with them on the board to cast Empower turn 1 and still nearly guarantee a turn 1 charge is very nice.  

What I would change:

Knight Vexilor: Was not needed. I was able to get where I needed to be most of the time and rerolling charges was seldom relevant.  

Everblaze Comet: It's nice when it works, but only having 1 caster is a liability and 100 points is a lot.  Exorcist and Incantor are the only non-Arcanum units that can cast it and they are both too expensive IMO.  

Cleansing Phalanx: Super Empower is good, but we're mostly taking this to get the extra command point and artefact.  If I'm not taking Everblaze Comet then I don't need staff of focus so maybe just leaving 50 points for another command point is better.  

Lord-Castellant: With an elite army like SCE we need our stuff to survive.  He should 100% be in here

Chaff:  SCE is lacking any chaff units so we need to go to allies for this as loathe as I am to do it.  Skinks seem to be the preferred unit right now, but there are other good options.  Phoenix Guard are really interesting as they are super resilient to mortal wounds which is what normally wrecks stormcast.  2 inch range 3 to hit and 3 to wound is super solid as well.  Bonus points for them looking like they fit in well with SCE:)   Vulkite Berzerkers, White Lions, and Longbeards are also units to consider.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Klak said:

Local tournament 1750 went 2-1 with this:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals - Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar

LEADERS

Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240) - General - Command Trait : We Cannot Fail - Celestial Staves (Artefact) : Staff of Focus - Mount Trait : Savage Loyalty

Gavriel Sureheart (100)   - Artefact : God-forged Blade

Knight-Vexillor (120) - Pennant of the Stormbringer

UNITS

10 x Evocators (400) - 5 x Grandstaves - Lore of Invigoration : Celestial Blades

3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300) - 2 x Grandstaves - Lore of Invigoration : Speed of Lightning

BATTALIONS Cleansing Phalanx (120)

ENDLESS SPELLS Everblaze Comet (100)

TOTAL: 1740/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 92 LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 0/400 

Round 1 vs Slaanesh Battleplan: Starstrike

He has demon prince, herald on exalted chariot, herald on seeker chariot, 3 blobs of 20 daemonettes, 3 fiends of slaanesh, and one caster unit i forget.  I start with Gavriel and the unit of 10 evocators in the Celestial Realm.  I get to go first .  I use the staff of focus but fail to cast everblaze comet.   I get both evocators and Gav on a first turn charge using Gavriel's command ability twice into his caster and daemonettes, but i attack with the dracoline unit into the caster first fail to do much damage.   my 10 evocators take a pretty bad beating from the daemonettes.   On his turn he's able to kill the rest of the foot evocators and ties up most of my army while racking up depravity points.  The objective drops over by where my 2 units of(now mostly dead) evocators are.  I get everblaze comet off this time but it doesn't accomplish much other than getting him even more depravity points.  I kill his seekers and one herald and use Knight-Vexillor to send a unit of Sequitors over to the objective.  He summons back the units i killed and murders my sequitors on his turn.  It's very downhill from there and I nearly get tabled while he continues to summon more and more.  All of my units having multiple wounds really cranks his depravity points up.  I probably made a lot of mistakes this game.  I am pretty unfamiliar with Slaanesh and I'm not sure what I could have done differently.   

Round 2 vs Free Peoples Battleplan: Duality of Death  

He has a bunch of artillery including 2 hellstorm rocket launchers and a hellblaster volley cannon.  He also has some handgunners, 2 units of men at arms, 2 wizards, a banner guy, a gunmaster and some other stuff.  I start with Gavriel and the unit of 10 evocators in the Celestial Realm.  I get first turn and staff+comet goes off on like 7 units.  I don't roll great with it but it's still pretty devastating.  I drop Gav plus the evocators near the objective.  I get a huge charge roll with the 10 evocators(with command ability) and kill his hellblaster and another beside it with Celestial Lightning Arc.  I leave Gav on the objective to score 1 pont.  He kills 2 of the evos on dracoline with hellstorms but not much else.   I go and get my other 2 characters to the other objective and my sequitors start going in vs his men at arms.  They are no match for sequitors and go down quick.  Meanwhile both units of evocators are decimating his backline.  It isn't much of a contest from there.  

Round 3 vs Kharadron Overlords Battleplan: Knife to the Heart

He has an Aether-chemist, Lord Ordinator, Akranaut Frigate, 3 Gunhaulers, Grundstock Thunderers, a bunch of Arkanaut Company, and 3 Endrinriggers.   I again start with Gavriel and the unit of 10 evocators in the Celestial Realm.  He deploys everything up near the top-right objective other than the Endrinriggers who are closer to the other objective.  I deploy everything as close to him as i can except 1 unit of sequitors that deploy near the bottom objective.  He goes first and shoots Lord Arcanum off the table and 1 dracoline.  I go and Empower off on one of the sequitors from my battalion.  I drop Gav and the evocators and manage to also get the dracolines with Gav's command ability.  The foot evocators start smashing his chaff and the dracolines charge the Frigate.  the sequitors all make it in on charges and go to work on his chaff and gunhaulers.  Bomb racks do a little damage but it's not too bad.  The sequitors at the bottom objectve can't make their charge into the Endrinriggers.  I get the turn again and finish off his chaff and start attacking his characters.   The foot evocators deal 9 mortal wounds to his Akranaut Frigate with Celestial Lightning Arc and kill it.  The bottom sequitors charge and kill the Endrinriggers.  He goes and shoots down another dracoline and a few sequtors but the foot evocators are still at full strength.  Turn 3 he goes first and runs his gunhauler towards the other objective but he is too far away to contest it.  he does minimal damage otherwise.  I am able to claim both objectives on my turn and win.  

What I liked about this list:

Gavriel:  Obviously he's great and worth taking Hammers for all by himself.  Definitely an "unfun" unit though.

Evocators: Both on foot and dracoline were great.  The foot ones are better just because you get more dice for Celestial Lightning Arc, but the mobility of the dracolines lets you do some crazy things and they can benefit from Gavriel if you deploy carefully.  Being able to start with them on the board to cast Empower turn 1 and still nearly guarantee a turn 1 charge is very nice.  

What I would change:

Knight Vexilor: Was not needed. I was able to get where I needed to be most of the time and rerolling charges was seldom relevant.  

Everblaze Comet: It's nice when it works, but only having 1 caster is a liability and 100 points is a lot.  Exorcist and Incantor are the only non-Arcanum units that can cast it and they are both too expensive IMO.  

Cleansing Phalanx: Super Empower is good, but we're mostly taking this to get the extra command point and artefact.  If I'm not taking Everblaze Comet then I don't need staff of focus so maybe just leaving 50 points for another command point is better.  

Lord-Castellant: With an elite army like SCE we need our stuff to survive.  He should 100% be in here

Chaff:  SCE is lacking any chaff units so we need to go to allies for this as loathe as I am to do it.  Skinks seem to be the preferred unit right now, but there are other good options.  Phoenix Guard are really interesting as they are super resilient to mortal wounds which is what normally wrecks stormcast.  2 inch range 3 to hit and 3 to wound is super solid as well.  Bonus points for them looking like they fit in well with SCE:)   Vulkite Berzerkers, White Lions, and Longbeards are also units to consider.  

Can you use an artifact, in this case, the one that forces you the Stormhost on a named character? (Gavriel)

Edited by Mjolnertf

2 hours ago, Mjolnertf said:

Can you use an artifact, in this case, the one that forces you the Stormhost on a named character? (Gavriel)

I just looked it up and you cannot.  I would just stick it on another character but it really doesn't do much anyway.

6 hours ago, mystycalchemy said:

Of note, thanks to the recent FAQ, Mortal Wounds do not generate Depravity for Slaanesh. 

Ha that would have been good to know.  He ended up winning the tournament.

Edited by Klak

Based on my 3 games I had and the Info I got in here I came up with this list:

- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Trait: We Cannot Fail 
- Artefact: God-forged Blade 
Gavriel Sureheart (100)
Lord-Castellant (100)
20 x Sequitors (400)
20 x Sequitors (400)
5 x Sequitors (120)
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
10 x Evocators (400)
- 10x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades
20 x Skinks (120)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
- Allies

Total: 1880 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 120 / 400
Wounds: 158

Will test it this weekend.

Basic Idea is to have 3CP when I start , that is a 100% charge for the  Evos, forcing my opponent to think. If he thinks and deploys good I am kinda saving them for the 5+ Sequitor Revive later on.

5 minutes ago, Slave2Chaos said:

Shock and Awe

Does it last just the Stormcast player Turn or does it last the entire battle round?

the wording is a little ambiguous,

I would take turn to mean each player's turn. Round is 2 turns.  So it only lasts your turn.

• Like 1

Sooo the stardrake is amazing. I recently played in Warhammerfest throne of skulls with a stardrake list and I gotta say.. that thing is an absolute monster in the new edition. 

I used him with Ignax scales and staunch defender and slapped a warding lantern on top of it.. the thing would not die. Here are a few examples. 

Singlehandled it tanked 20 sequistors. 10 evocators and 4 fulminators. Before my opponent realized that it’s futile and teleported away his fulminators. At that point it had already decimated the sequistors and was on its way to cleaning up the evocators. 

New edition it’s been buffed in slight ways that makes a huge impact. 

Carnaverous jaws can eat a units cohesion. Breaking it forcing a lot of damage. The tail attack hits everything within 3 inches every time it attacks. And command ability no longer has a range.

i just slapped onwards to glory on it and used a command ability to run 18 inches. With fly and that movement you can tie up a lot of things first turn. ( I played legion of azghor and tied up 5 units first turn ) 

its just amazing, but a large investment !